Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bruiser

Started by Cack Hen, April 04, 2006, 02:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cack Hen

This has just be upload to the other place. It's about 470mb for six episodes so I'm not expecting too much in terms of quality but I've been told it's pretty great in comedy quality.

I assume some/most of you have seen it, was it good?

benthalo

Dismal. Avoid. I optimistically dug one out at Christmas and it bordered on the unwatchable.

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "benthalo"Dismal. Avoid. I optimistically dug one out at Christmas and it bordered on the unwatchable.

Seconded.
The only good thing about it was the lovely Charlotte Hudson.

jutl

I haven't seen this since it was aired, but remember the Mitchell and Webb bits being pretty good at least.

poor fool

I remember it being really great. I look forward to shortly having my memories smashed and debased by an ill advised reassessment viewing courtesy of the other place.
Really, though; Mitchell and Webb wrote the whole thing - how bad can it be?

neveragain

Are you sure they wrote the whole thing? That Garth Marenghi bloke was involved in the writing I thought. Matthew Holness - that's him. And he's in it, hence my belief that he wrote for the thing. I remember enjoying several moments in the series and that each episode was interestingly titled.

benthalo

Al I can say is that in 2000, Mitchell & Webb couldn't deliver comedy to save their lives and certainly couldn't write it. They seemed to get on the right sort of track the following year, but even with years of revues behind them it was a desperately poor start for them.

The most generous description of Bruiser is 'gauche'. I seem to remember a regular on this forum e-mailing me at the time to enquire as to "how the cock this got past a pilot". An opinion I've never really advanced on.

Mitchell & Webb were billed as main writers, with additional material by a whole raft of contributors such as Ayoade, Holness, Gervais... that generation basically.

Honestly, I had to keep stopping it after every couple of sketches in order to do something else. It's full of ideas that go nowhere.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember really liking this too. It used to be the only thing that would interrupt my friends and I during a multiplayer Goldeneye marathon. I was about sixteen at the time though, so I may well think it's crap if I were to watch it now.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I played an all nighter Goldeneye multiplayer the other week. It was still as great as it used to be.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

It was just one of those cold, unlovable programmes that used to pop up around that time - the Tittybangbang of its day. The idea that any of those cunts would become famous was a day I dreaded, as was the day someone found an old video of it and thought 'You know, this isn't as bad as I remembered'.

Make it stop, someone. Any day now, someone will 'rediscover' Mr Charity - they bloody will, you know. It happened with Hippies, and it'll happen with that.

Fishbulb

Are these AVIs then, or WMVs? I downloaded some really poor quality WMVs of these a while back (they were encodes by a guy who loved to put his name on everything, if that strikes a bell).

Marvin

Quote from: "Fishbulb"Are these AVIs then, or WMVs? I downloaded some really poor quality WMVs of these a while back (they were encodes by a guy who loved to put his name on everything, if that strikes a bell).

Oh god, it wasn't that Faceless twat was it?

poor fool

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"It was just one of those cold, unlovable programmes that used to pop up around that time - the Tittybangbang of its day. The idea that any of those cunts would become famous was a day I dreaded, as was the day someone found an old video of it and thought 'You know, this isn't as bad as I remembered'.

Make it stop, someone. Any day now, someone will 'rediscover' Mr Charity - they bloody will, you know. It happened with Hippies, and it'll happen with that.

Serious question - what's it like being so unfeasibly angry at seemingly everything? Does it make the slow, lonely grind of modern secular life easier or harder?

Anyway - I just watched a couple of episodes and it was ok. Patchy certainly, but often funny.

Morgan

QuoteSerious question - what's it like being so unfeasibly angry at seemingly everything? Does it make the slow, lonely grind of modern secular life easier or harder?

Perhaps you'd like to replace 'so unfeasinbly angry at seemingly everything' with 'showing some sort of fucking passion about things', it might be a slightly fairer question.

poor fool

Quote from: "Morgan"Perhaps you'd like to replace 'so unfeasinbly angry at seemingly everything' with 'showing some sort of fucking passion about things', it might be a slightly fairer question.

I don't equate bitter mithering with passion, and neither should you.

Cack Hen

It doesn't come across like that to me and apparently not to poor fool. I find his/her relentless attitude to be quite tedious and rarely constructive or insightful, because it's more or less the same thing every time. I can appreciate that there's alot of shit about but you've got to be a relentless pessimist to be quite so rampant against seemingly everything. And when you have that kind of attitude, you stop looking for good bits and only end up looking for bad bits, which gets boring.

Garam

I can remember Mitchell and Webb in a sketch about the A-team. 'I love it when a plan comes together!'. Haha...ha.

Hello, I'm Garam (not in real life, obviously). Male. Seventeen. Grimsby.

Morgan

QuoteMale. Seventeen. Grimsby.

Hard cheese.

Garam

Yeah, it's a tough life. Us Grimbarians sure have it hard.

Fishbulb

I downloaded these, and they are Faceless's WMV files. Describing the quality as "not great" is a severe understatement, but I guess something is better than nothing in this case.

Where's Alan?

Where's sales?

Where's accounts?

jennifer

I like Bruiser. I think I went into more depth elsewhere on this board as to why (mainly the sarcastic plumber)

rupert pupkin

Quote from: "mary toft"I like Bruiser. I think I went into more depth elsewhere on this board as to why (mainly the sarcastic plumber)

I liked it, too, especially Robert Webb as the wouldbe murderer who'd just go into a chemist and say, "Got any poison?".

jennifer

Quote from: "rupert pupkin"
Quote from: "mary toft"I like Bruiser. I think I went into more depth elsewhere on this board as to why (mainly the sarcastic plumber)

I liked it, too, especially Robert Webb as the wouldbe murderer who'd just go into a chemist and say, "Got any poison?".

haha oh yeah, he's got a rat to get rid of 'about the size of a woman' (possibly misquoting there, sorry)

Jemble Fred

Isn't that incredibly similar to the Two Ronnies sketch about the guy looking for the right evening classes to learn murdering skills?

Not that anyone should give a toss, it's just interesting. Perhaps just to me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Or that Adam and Joe prank. Webb's delivery is awful in that murderer sketch - he has improved since, and he's still only middling to fair.

poor fool

I have to admit, having watched most of the series now, that despite great performances all round, this really isn't very good at all.

Cack Hen

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It has its moments but it's just packed with pointless ideas and recurring sketches which aren't funny enough to be recurring.

The Q and Bond sketches are baffling, it's literally the same sketch every episode!

rupert pupkin

Quote from: "poor fool"I have to admit, having watched most of the series now, that despite great performances all round, this really isn't very good at all.

I only saw it the first time it was shown four or five years ago and I remember liking it a lot, especially Mitchell and Webb. I wish my memory was a bit better, though, as I can only remember little bits and pieces. Was Martin Freeman in it, too, doing a character who'd accuse someone of being "touchy" and go on about it until they exploded in rage?

Big Jack McBastard

I taped this off UK Gold or some such a few years ago it is a pretty poor outing with a sprinkle here and there of amusement. You gradually get to hate that Holness fella more and more as the series... well I was going to say 'progresses' but perhaps that's too optomistic an apraisal.