Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris was staggeringly brilliant on the radio

Started by Neil, July 10, 2010, 01:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I know, I know, talk about preaching to the converted, but fucking hell.  Sometimes you just have to remind yourself of these things - the self-evident becomes easy to take for granted.  Today I have been going through some shows, and tapping my foot waiting for my replacement external hard drive to arrive so I can do more work on them.  I've been cutting out some new clips for the Twitter, and I'm just once again gob-smacked by the level he operates at.  I need to put some time aside, and really sort out the whole 'archive' side of things - his radio work is peerless, and the GLR shows in particular are just so, so good.  They're a vitally important part of British radio, we've got to find more, as many as possible.  I've reminded myself of the, well, importance of finding and storing this material. 

I was thinking about the Michael Alexander St John bits - in a sane and rational world, Morris' work with MASJ would be as well known, and well regarded, as anything Kenny Everett or Viv Stanshall did on the radio.  That's true of Morris on the radio in general, though, he brought an incredible level of invention and innovation to every single part of it.  When you hear those 'Ten Ideas To Change The World' bits, they're just absolutely loaded with ideas you could never come up with, and brilliant little language tricks.

Morris shouldn't be known in the meeja as Chris 'paedo special' Morris, he should be defined by his utter mastery of the radio medium.

So yeah, vaguely sorry to gush so much, but to hear Jack Whitehall doing jokes about 'South Africans giving people AIDS and stealing their TVs' while I chop out Feedback Reports and suchlike...it really helps bring home the brilliance of what Morris was doing on the radio, and the way it seemed almost effortless for him.  Talking of those Feedback Reports, they're just such fun - Morris just mucking around with people, and bringing them into a surreal world to see what connections their mind makes.  He wants to see how they rationalise the irrational.  Iain 'Iain' Lee, Ricky Gervais, Olivia Lee and all those other modern day C4 cunts try to rip this off, but they don't understand it, and, because of a lack of wit and skill, they just invariably end up using editing to make old people look stupid.  There's no genuine underlying satirical intent, even when some is clumsily crammed in, they just flail around, making people look like dicks.

Let's talk about some of our favourite radio bits and the like.  Wayne Carr is my all-time favourite Morris character (followed by Keith Richards).  I have to rewind those Wayne Carr bits constantly, as they're so densely packed with jokes that another two can fly by while you're still unravelling the first.  I love the silly word play, the lechery of Wayne (which often reaches staggeringly appalling levels), and the gradual evolution as Morris starts getting into celeb 'stings.' 

weirdbeard

There's no excuse, people.  A lot of them are available to download (or stream) from the pages here.   I'll try and replace some of the broken links in the week ahead.

Radio Bristol - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=nkc
GLR - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=GLR
Radio 1 - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=r1musicshows

I'm amazed we don't have more of the GLR stuff.  The Bristol stuff is relatively tidy, 8 full shows from 89/90 and a Summer 89 compilation.   But the GLR is in bits and pieces all over the place.   Nothing from 88, nothing from 89, the first is the Wayne Carr show, amazingly.  Then a load of fragmented and partial stuff - even the 93 run is incomplete. 

Some Radio Cambridgeshire stuff would be fascinating, some more Bristol stuff (especially the early stuff would be nice), but we really need some more GLR stuff.

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 01:21:53 AM
I'm amazed we don't have more of the GLR stuff.  The Bristol stuff is relatively tidy, 8 full shows from 89/90 and a Summer 89 compilation.   But the GLR is in bits and pieces all over the place.   Nothing from 88, nothing from 89, the first is the Wayne Carr show, amazingly.  Then a load of fragmented and partial stuff - even the 93 run is incomplete. 

The Wayne Carr show was evidently out there, but never came to me, until I chanced upon it on eBay one night when looking for CaB rips to tut at.  That and the Wayne Carr pic were huge holy grails for me, and I barely slept a wink all night for fear someone would get in there before I did!

I am sure there are 89 clips, and possibly some 88 ones, but don't trust my memory.  When I have this HD, I'm going to try and get everything in order.  I say this all the time, but I do get there in the end.  No fucking work ethic, me :-)  It's quite daunting, too, as this site is huge, every bit of it needs upgraded and improved currently, and the boards in particular tend to keep me very busy.  This really does need done though, tonight was a bit of a reminder for me.  I was tidying the flat today, and hunting out some CM bits and pieces, and found that Blue Jam Exclusives disc, which I'd really been hoping I'd uncover.  So I'll do new, upgraded high-quality rips of the stuff on there (Breezeblock sets, Doc Rudest, something else I think.)  There's a bunch of stuff sort of 95% done, I'm going to have to knuckle down - building up to another great big binge of work.

Check out this new clip weirdbeard, the tapes were kindly supplied by Neil Mossey.  This is a slightly awkward appearance from Annie Nightingale - I love the rare bits of audio available where she pops into the studio to trail her show, she's a bit of another radio hero for me. 
Spoiler alert
Listen for her quiet, admonishing, tutty "Chris..." over the music at the end!  I think she was a bit embarrassed at Morris drawing this hilarious image of a bloke squeezing his balls to get his dick to pop up.
[close]

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/Chris Morris - Slightly Awkward Annie Nightingale Hand-Over.mp3

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 01:21:53 AM
Then a load of fragmented and partial stuff - even the 93 run is incomplete. 

I'll finish my restoration work on that last episode, the crappy puter I was using at the time introduced some further errors that have to be patched up, but I know from that recent 'repeat run' on CaB Radio that there's not much to do.  I guess what we should be doing, though, is drawing up some kind of a list of how much of the shows is available?  For instance, Rich Radioduck's capture of one of the 1993 shows had an extra minute or two on the start, and it included a very funny joke I'd not heard before.  I did patch up Mat Savage's tapes from the already available sources (fat bob blobby bastards tapes), but there are certainly shows where there's a good 25 minutes or so missing.  I worked out during that recent run, that one of the missing segments must almost certainly contain another Robert Katz monologue.

vrailaine

Don't think I've listened to the GLR stuff at all, much the same as the Radio 1 stuff?

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2010, 01:39:35 AM
Check out this new clip weirdbeard, the tapes were kindly supplied by Neil Mossey.  This is a slightly awkward appearance from Annie Nightingale - I love the rare bits of audio available where she pops into the studio to trail her show, she's a bit of another radio hero for me. 
Spoiler alert
Listen for her admonishing "Chris..." quietly over the music at the end!  I think she was a bit embarrassed at Chris Morris drawing this hilarious image of a bloke squeezing his balls to get his dick to pop up.
[close]

http://chilled.cream.org/mp3/Chris Morris - Slightly Awkward Annie Nightingale Hand-Over.mp3

Ooh, that's an old one, actually, from Sunday 25th February 1990.   IIRC, that was one of the files uploaded purporting to be one show, but was a handful of fragments compiled to make one.

I'd love to hear some 88/89 GLR stuff.   I definitely haven't got any as, as you know  ;-) , I'm shit hot at dating stuff.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=GLR

In fact, that aforementioned 25/2/90 show is the earliest orthodox Morris GLR show I have.  The Wayne Carr special was New Years Day 1990.

Here's the partial 25/2 show, just under 40 minutes - available as streaming or download.  http://www.zshare.net/audio/5110273546f04a4b/

weirdbeard

Quote from: vrailaine on July 10, 2010, 01:54:23 AM
Don't think I've listened to the GLR stuff at all, much the same as the Radio 1 stuff?

Not really.   The GLR shows had more in the way of audience interaction with competitions, Feedback Reports and stuff, and was just Morris on his own in the studio, no-one like Baynham in the R1 shows.  Actually, there might be a bit of Garner in the 93 run, but rarely before that.  Wayne Carr was a cheesy radio jock parody, rather than the foil for celeb windups in his R1 incarnation.   Certainly the shows head towards the R1 direction as time goes on, but the 1990 stuff, of which there's quite a bit, is more in the vein of the Bristol shows.

Unless there's some shows out there that we're not heard yet.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2010, 01:44:33 AM
I'll finish my restoration work on that last episode, the crappy puter I was using at the time introduced some further errors that have to be patched up, but I know from that recent 'repeat run' on CaB Radio that there's not much to do.  I guess what we should be doing, though, is drawing up some kind of a list of how much of the shows is available?  For instance, Rich Radioduck's capture of one of the 1993 shows had an extra minute or two on the start, and it included a very funny joke I'd not heard before.  I did patch up Mat Savage's tapes from the already available sources (fat bob blobby bastards tapes), but there are certainly shows where there's a good 25 minutes or so missing.  I worked out during that recent run, that one of the missing segments must almost certainly contain another Robert Katz monologue.

Can we get LFBarfe's captures of the R1 run available to download as well.?

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2010, 01:44:33 AM
I'll finish my restoration work on that last episode, the crappy puter I was using at the time introduced some further errors that have to be patched up, but I know from that recent 'repeat run' on CaB Radio that there's not much to do.  I guess what we should be doing, though, is drawing up some kind of a list of how much of the shows is available? 

10/04/93  (Full show from Mat Savage's recording)
17/04/93  (Partial show (95 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
24/04/93  (Partial show (103 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
01/05/93  (Partial show (93 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
08/05/93  (Full show from Mat Savage's recording)
15/05/93

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 02:16:39 AM
Can we get LFBarfe's captures of the R1 run available to download as well.?

Course!  Soon as the HD arrives I'll start.  Less than 200 megs at the minute, and can't do much at all.  Constant fucking battle with puter stuff, over the years.  I want to do a whole new upgarded R1 1994 pack.

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 02:05:40 AM
Ooh, that's an old one, actually, from Sunday 25th February 1990.   IIRC, that was one of the files uploaded purporting to be one show, but was a handful of fragments compiled to make one.

Blimey, I have no memory of uploading that, but I suppose that's not surprising.  Few more clips I want to make from that particular one, and yes, listening back today it seems like a new show starts about halfway through, so there's at least two in there.

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 02:20:37 AM
10/04/93  (Full show from Mat Savage's recording)
17/04/93  (Partial show (95 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
24/04/93  (Partial show (103 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
01/05/93  (Partial show (93 minutes) from Mat Savage's recording)
08/05/93  (Full show from Mat Savage's recording)
15/05/93

Ha, forgot about that too, but I was thinking of a more detailed run-down than that.  For instance, I recall that one of the shows has a chunk missing from the start, and the other has a chunk missing from the end.  If we know, and have marked down, the exact bits that are missing, then perhaps other tapers out there can help us fill in those gaps. 

Just found a notepad document I wrote myself in 2007 - so, it looks like I upped the Neil Mossey shows then, great.  I thought today that I'd only got round to the Danny Baker show excerpt.  There's one tape I definitely WON'T have uploaded, as it was absolutely riddled with really bad static, and I needed to get someone to fix it, or ideally learn how to do so myself.  That's lightened my workload a bit, then.  I'll have to check through the others anyway, but I guess of the Mossey stash, all I have left is that 72 minute show (my notes have it as being another April 1990 one).

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on July 10, 2010, 02:09:23 AM
Not really.   The GLR shows had more in the way of audience interaction with competitions, Feedback Reports and stuff, and was just Morris on his own in the studio, no-one like Baynham in the R1 shows.  Actually, there might be a bit of Garner in the 93 run, but rarely before that.  Wayne Carr was a cheesy radio jock parody, rather than the foil for celeb windups in his R1 incarnation.   Certainly the shows head towards the R1 direction as time goes on, but the 1990 stuff, of which there's quite a bit, is more in the vein of the Bristol shows.

Unless there's some shows out there that we're not heard yet.

Yeah, they do get more like the 1994 R1 shows in that 1993 run, and it's absolutely fascinating to hear the evolution of bits like The Sock Quiz.  What I find particularly interesting about that, is he started it off with just regular callers.  If you'd only heard the R1 incarnation, you'd be forgiven for thinking he seized upon the idea of having kids swear (which he has, at other times, of course.)  However, that's not the case at all - what he very quickjly found during the 1993 run was that adults would just be wacky, and really over-play the whole thing.  You can hear him really start to lose his temper during one of the shows, and he ends up completely ditching the bit mid-way through at one point, by asking the caller to repeat the phrase "I am a tosser."  He has another couple of unsuccessful bashes at it, and then ends up getting kids to do it as they won't fuck around. 

Kiddy's Outing starts here, too, and you have Garner and CM rummaging through trash cans, and doing tannoy announcements etc, so there is a very definite overlap, yet the shows remain tonally different, with stuff like John Bentley making songs from headlines, Robert Katz doing proto-Blue Jam monologues, and there's even stuff like the Chollis Ketteridge letter being read out almost verbatim! 

QuoteWayne Carr was a cheesy radio jock parody, rather than the foil for celeb windups in his R1 incarnation.

There is that extraordinary interview with Sonia, though.  Those 1993 shows really did bridge an absolutely pivotal gap in the evolution of Morris' radio skills/style.  Definitely my favourite Morris material.  Must check if I ever got round to sending them back to the ace Mat Savage yet!  If not, I'll run them off as wav again on the new hard drive, just to be sure - although I do have my original wavs on disc somewhere.  See, there's another thing to consider, weirdbeard:  the quality of the captures has always been very important to me, and I think it's probably the right time to start moving to a lossless format, so this material is conserved as well as it possibly can be.  I want to go through every single thing I have here, and start getting it replaced, and catalogued, and all that business.

EDIT:  OK, yes, a really serious, methodical approach needs to be taken here...I'll get things rolling. 

(Please don't let the talk of files and dates all this business put you off discussing the radio material, folks.  Let's have a really good natter about yer man's radio work, we haven't done that in a good long while.  Tell me your favourite bits, and perhaps the first thing you heard Morris doing on the radio etc etc.)

Melth

The "Ten Ideas to Change the World" segments are all fantastic and seem written so perfectly to fit Michael St John's voice. Made a call about my electricity bill the other day and, while on hold at the call centre, was treated to "Canon in D Major" and thought instantly of "complicating routine operations by disguising yourself as a swab..."- my absolute favourite - not a word wasted and with as much attention to rhythm as the best poetry. Was tempted to start a thread about MAS-J recently - not so long ago, lots of adverts have tried the "posh-voiced man saying incongruous things" idea, but have assumed that this concept was funny in itself.

The Feedback reports from this era are generally a bit more inventive than the ones that made it into OTH / TDT, aren't they? A "warped cat" being sold in a bunch of bananas. Love Morris's putting down self-consciously wacky callers ("it's pathetic; he thinks he's on the radio!". I've always been a bit less certain about Wayne Carr. He seems to be oscillate between saying things that are funny in their own right and things that are plain cringeworthy - although I came to Radio One after Blackburn and co. had gone, so perhaps it lacks a bit of resonance for me.   

Lt Plonker

IT'S A CHINK OF GLASSES.

I love that review of the home security cassette, the unrelenting stream of sarcasm is just wonderful.  Apart from that, and Virgin Radio, did he do any other 'reviews' like that?

Neil

Quote from: Lt Plonker on July 10, 2010, 10:56:43 AM
IT'S A CHINK OF GLASSES.

I love that review of the home security cassette, the unrelenting stream of sarcasm is just wonderful.  Apart from that, and Virgin Radio, did he do any other 'reviews' like that?

"Coo-eee.   Ooo-errr."

There are more of those "Today's Star Prize" segments from that period, but the only other one I can think of myself, is the one about Rottweilers.  If you want other things in that style (i.e. very heavily-influenced by VLS' wonderful contributions to Loose Ends) then the obvious one that comes to mind is the Virgin 1215 rant.  You know, I love hearing Morris' influences being so clear in these bits - noone just appears fully-formed, everyone relies on influences, and then some never move past them. 

Chris Morris - Todays Star Prize - Home Center Security Cassette

Neil

Quote from: Melth on July 10, 2010, 10:53:36 AM
The "Ten Ideas to Change the World" segments are all fantastic and seem written so perfectly to fit Michael St John's voice. Made a call about my electricity bill the other day and, while on hold at the call centre, was treated to "Canon in D Major" and thought instantly of "complicating routine operations by disguising yourself as a swab..."- my absolute favourite - not a word wasted and with as much attention to rhythm as the best poetry. Was tempted to start a thread about MAS-J recently - not so long ago, lots of adverts have tried the "posh-voiced man saying incongruous things" idea, but have assumed that this concept was funny in itself. 

You're very wise to pick out the economy of words, in particular, with these bits.  Not a word is wasted, and they're a masterful use of the English language.  They've always stood out for me, and I just wish they were as widely-known and respected as they should be.  His voice was extraordinary, and (along with David Cann) he's one of the few people who've ever been able to deliver Morris' lines as well as he himself could.  In fact, he might even have done a better job than Morris, so strong were his talents, and so honed to his own individual style was the writing.  Ten Innovations For Sport is the one that always really sticks in my mind - I can remember just being completely bowled over by the ingenuity of the ideas being casually chucked out.  I really think these can be ranked up there with the best of ANY British comedy.  The pictures being drawn are so vividly interesting and entertaining, and Morris is able to fold language back in on intself in remarkably inventive ways.  He doesn't just play with the sound and rhythm of language ("pepper poets"), he starts casually dismissing the rules of English itself.  Squidy had a great description of this at one point, but I've got to dash now,. will try and find it from the chatroom logs later. 

How about the one where he talks about how 'anyone who joins the army should get made into a chocolate egg, and squashed between the buttocks of a mountain'?  Need to find that one again.

I was thinking yesterday that CaB needs a dedicated MASJ page, really.  And I'll do a whole MASJ-themed day when I fire out archive treats on the twitter next Friday. 

Quote"complicating routine operations by disguising yourself as a swab..."

"...and then lobbing yourself into split people."

Michael Alexander St John - Ten Innovations For Sport

jimmy jazz

Personally, Morris' ability with words has never been exhibited in any of his work as well as it is in his "heartbreaking request letters". These, for me, completely sum up what Morris is all about. That calm, authoritative voice reading out the most bizarre stories that have incredibly concise, funny lines as well as moments of pure idiocy. His intonation when he says something along the lines of "... backing me on fender bass" is making me laugh even now. As for "economy of words", is there a better example than
Spoiler alert
"... transfixed by a spear of frozen liquid waste from an aeroplane toilet facility
[close]
*?

* Spoilered as it's the pay off to the joke, for those who haven't heard it.

tygerbug

I've listened to a lot of this stuff [on Youtube, in many cases] but as I'm pathetic it would be easier to listen if it were all gathered up in one place. Has anyone done a torrent of everything found so far?

Neil

No, but it's on the cards when I get the new HD*.  There are various packs that I put together, though, such as the R1 show torrents, and complete Blue Jam's.  Those should still be out there.  I want to start to upgrade them all, though.  I started trying to compile a series of GLR CD's as well, a few years back, and send out loads of copies of the first volume.  I should rip that, have a quick check, and then get it torrented, as I found an old copy of it yesterday. 

*There are possibly ones with commercially-available material out there, in which case, in which case I don't want them linked to (or discussed) on here.  Ta. 

I appreciate that 'HOW TO FIND CHRIS MORRIS FUNNY??' threads are probably frowned upon on this site, so I appreciate threads like this. Aside from the odd Chris Morris pissing off taxi drivers or whatever on youtube, I've found is early work oddly inaccessible. It's nice to bounce off someone's enthusiasm in order to seek it out.

Santa's Boyfriend

What show was the interview with Mary Whitehouse on?  (The one with a porno playing in the background)

Neil

...Victor Lewis-Smith was also staggeringly brilliant (on the radio.) 

Victor Lewis-Smith - Mary Whitehouse Call

Quote from: scrambles the cat on July 11, 2010, 03:37:40 AM
I appreciate that 'HOW TO FIND CHRIS MORRIS FUNNY??' threads are probably frowned upon on this site, so I appreciate threads like this. Aside from the odd Chris Morris pissing off taxi drivers or whatever on youtube, I've found is early work oddly inaccessible. It's nice to bounce off someone's enthusiasm in order to seek it out.

Such a thread wouldn't be frowned upon at all, you're welcome to start one, or talk more about how crap you think he is in this one.  Quite a few comedy fans do seem to find the GLR era hard to get into, particularly as they tend to be a lot more familiar with the R1 shows.  The R1 shows are a lot more condensed, and certainly some of the greatest things he's ever done, but the GLR shows have to be recognised for for the originality, brilliance and subversion and he was bringing to a more traditional radio format.  Plus, there were way more oppurtunities for spontaneity, and Morris has to be the single-greatest improviser since Peter Cook.  Talk radio has always been my favourite format, so hearing him taking calls is always a real thrill, too.  Impossibly sharp mind that bounces at the most unpredictable angles.

DJ Solid Snail

The '94 shows are without question my number one comedy series of all-time. Even after an insane amount of listens and the ability now to regurgitate any single sketch or musical parody or the like basically word-for-word, I still stick them on regularly and, however I'm feeling, my mood's instantly raised just from taking in the anarchic nature and sheer fun of the thing. It's genuine aural Prozac, to lend a Morris phrase.

I'm also hugely grateful for being introduced to so much great music - I don't think any other singular force has had as much influence on my musical tastes as these shows. At the time I was only casually interested in music, and I'd only previously listened to whatever everybody else at school was listening to, which predictably was exclusively pants (white boy nu-metal and pop punk and so forth). I was veering away from all that, but still not passionate enough to seek out new stuff. Being at such an impressionable age, it was great getting introduced to the likes of Captain Beefheart, The B-52's, Beck, Happy Mondays, Pixies, They Might Be Giants, Led Zeppelin, Ice Cube, the Stones, The Teardrop Explodes, Funkadelic, Parliament, Sly Stone, Stereolab, Spearhead, The Velvet Underground, Prince, Gil Scott-Heron, and on and on...and a lot of these artists still dominate my preferred listening.

I know what you mean, Neil, when you said you think the music in the R1 shows are geared more toward a target audience, a youth market; more 'dangerous' and 'provocative,' I guess, than the kind of stuff you'd get on GLR. They do share some tracks, of course, but GLR was usually far mellower overall, which I suppose you could see as CM being more free to play what he wants and not have to play up to any image... It depends what mood I'm in, of course, but I much prefer the rebellious nature of the R1 stuff, and it feels to me like, since he's only working with an hour, and because he's on a pretty big national station, he's playing his absolute favourite music, and being as eclectic as he possibly can with it. Showing off, basically. And all the better for it.

The first show I listened to was the fourth, after somehow managing to direct-download it from CaB without my dial-up connection cutting out over the obscene amount of hours it took to nab, and that's pretty much the best introduction you can get. Opening with the first Sock Quiz on R1, and the best example of it he ever did I think, it put me in instant hysterics and totally drew me in straight away. After that, the 2Unlimited interview, the tortoise sketch and the hilarious chemistry between Morris and Baynham... It's all just so word-perfect and impeccably-paced and about as addictive as comedy gets. I was coming off The Day Today and initially interested mainly in the fake headlines and feedback reports and other news parody-type items, but soon realised there's far more to CM's comedy than all that, particularly just listening to him bouncing ideas around, especially with Baynham, stream-of-consciousness-like, and being impossibly charming and eloquent and funny - in an affable and refreshing way. Not to mention how wonderful it is to hear him show off his infectious enthusiasm for and really quite impressive knowledge of music. After that - and this was about six years ago I think - some ridiculously kind chap called Burpmitosis (whatever happened to him?) sent me every single show on some CD-Rs, and I've been listening to them off-and-on ever since.

So many comedies are described as, or claim to be, 'anarchic' or 'rebellious' in some way, but The Chris Morris Music Show is one of the few that genuinely feels that way, like CM plainly doesn't give a toss and is going to get away with as much as he possibly can. Having had to listen to Radio 1 on the bus to and from school (the horror, the horror...) I remember an occasion in which a rather excited girl had won a competition, and they asked, "How do you feel?" "Fucking great!" she yelps, and they instantly cut to a jingle, and neglected to mention it for the rest of the show. I was amazed at the kind of thing CM was getting away with, over a decade earlier, on the exact same station. Jingles like, "Hello this is Bruno Brookes, a cunt." Spinning tunes like Love is da Shit. Deliberately playing uncensored gangsta rap. There's a bit where he's talking over the end of a Gang Starr record and, in the middle of a pause, you hear "One time for your motherfuckin' mind," and CM lets out an audible chuckle, then carries on. There's a silly, childish side to me that absolutely loves that moment. The devil may care nature and sheer playfulness of it all makes it such a joy to listen to, beyond the fact that it's also all so meticulously planned-out and professionally executed. It's just so singularly impressive hearing a jock on the absolute top of his game knock out an hour of perfect comedy, all so incredibly varied and eclectic, and at the same time make such totally perfect, fitting musical choices that it's simply radio at its very best. He works that medium hard.

It amazes me that, given the fanbase he's now built up, there aren't more people that are fans of the R1 stuff. A few months ago I put up a couple of clips from the first show on YouTube, specifically this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDJalKFzoc

...and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_nFrqDXGZ0

...and I'd said I was planning on going thru all the shows, putting up all the worthwhile bits (and I will, soon, once I get my arse in gear), and somebody commented "chris morris acolytes listen to everything, even the not so worthwhile bits. We can't help ourselves nor do we want to", which makes me think that perhaps there are plenty of big CM fans who'd love his radio stuff but simply aren't aware of it. There are quite a few R1 clips on YouTube, but my plan's to really haul my way thru every show, clipping out as much as possible, so as to hopefully improve its popularity at least marginally. Ideally they've got to be listened to in context, so a torrent's probably a better way to go (although the MegaUpload links on the CaB Wiki still work fine) but at least this should get them out there a bit more.

Anyway, yes. I like the Radio 1 shows. I think they are good.

non capisco

Is it a Radio 1 or GLR show where he takes an exceptional and quite justified dislike to Howard Jones' cover of Donald Fagen's 'IGY'? That whole bit was brilliantly funny, hearing the record with its queasy synthesised trumpets coupled with Morris' genuine disgust at how terrible it sounds.

Neil

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on July 11, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
There are quite a few R1 clips on YouTube, but my plan's to really haul my way thru every show, clipping out as much as possible, so as to hopefully improve its popularity at least marginally.

I've got similar plans, perhaps we should work together?  I've got CaB accounts ready to go, the only thing stopping me is I'd like to put in some annotations and the like.  (I also want to put a CaB screenie in, to help direct people to here so they can get more.)

Neil

Quote from: non capisco on July 11, 2010, 06:02:49 PM
Is it a Radio 1 or GLR show where he takes an exceptional and quite justified dislike to Howard Jones' cover of Donald Fagen's 'IGY'? That whole bit was brilliantly funny, hearing the record with its queasy synthesised trumpets coupled with Morris' genuine disgust at how terrible it sounds.

Definitely a 1993 GLR show, hang on... 

Here we go.

non capisco

Ah, yes! I'd somehow forgotten he'd presented it as a competition to see if listeners could guess which song was being slaughtered. Great stuff.

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2010, 06:08:42 PM
I've got similar plans, perhaps we should work together?  I've got CaB accounts ready to go, the only thing stopping me is I'd like to put in some annotations and the like.  (I also want to put a CaB screenie in, to help direct people to here so they can get more.)

That might be a better idea, yeah, so people can grab the full shows once they've had the taster. Annotations would be good, I'll give you a hand with those. I'll carry on clipping things out and send you over some MP3s.

Snied

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2010, 06:11:34 PM
Definitely a 1993 GLR show, hang on... 

Here we go.
Hearing the news report announcing the 1993 Bishopsgate bomb was a bit unnerving, my brain hadn't registered that it was an old news report.

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2010, 11:47:02 AMChris Morris - Todays Star Prize - Home Center Security Cassette

"having bought the same cassette last week, and identified it for what it was from the moment it started."

KPM CD 22 The Editior's Companion 3/4 by Dick Walter

00:25 - 00:42   1.13   Tonight's Prizes
00:44 - 01:08   2.24   So Far
02:18 - 02:26   1.19   At the Organ (a)
03:50 - 03:55   1.19   At the Organ (a)
04:09 - 04:10   2.01   Acorn Rag (a)
04:12 - 04:33   2.24   So Far
04:33 - 04:43   ???
04:43 - 05:07   1.13   Tonight's Prizes

This disc is perhaps most notable however for 5.05 Shock Horror (a).

Incidentally, the presidential press conference in On The Hour ("you're looking good like I knew you would") appears to be KPM CD 21 The Editor's Companion 1/2 3.13 Special Event (e).  That 2.01 - 2.03 are entitled "News Plus" may also be of note.

In a terminally off topic final gasp, 4.03 Nice and Friendly (c) on KPM CD 168 The Editor's Companion 6 is heard elsewhere in conjuction with the exclamation "Hennimore!", and elsewhere still the functioning radio in Mrs Richards' room briefly plays Leisure Complex, on the B side of KPM LP 1127 Happy Rainbows.

But you know all this already.