Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris was staggeringly brilliant on the radio

Started by Neil, July 10, 2010, 01:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Vanguard No. 4A on July 11, 2010, 11:48:21 PM
But you know all this already.

I didn't! Cheers for all that. But is there any way of getting one's hands on this stuff without having to register some kind of media credentials? I've just put in some made-up ones (well, I put in the name of the DJ that happened to be on my radio in the background), but somehow I can't imagine that working...

Pepotamo1985

I always thought Chris Morris was very underrated as an actual DJ - his music selections in GLR and R1 shows, Blue Jam AND Breezeblock* are fantastic, and have turned me onto some great new music. On a few occasions he does some cool, proper DJish mixing as well which always impressed me - in one of his R1 shows he does something which is presumably quite basic but sounds fucking awesome, switching from a Public Enemy track (?) to Summertime by Will Smith. If someone can remember which show that is I'd be rather appreciative...

*On the subject of Breezeblock, recently dug them out and his interview with Bret Easton Ellis is absolutely amazing. I've whacked it on Youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56h96nFN8_g

DeGrise

Neil, I just wanted to give you a long overdue thanks for the radio archive.

I'd never heard any of the radio shows before, and now I am disturbingly close to word perfect.

It's not just the presenting - the whole shows are just a listening pleasure.

Delighted to hear Danny Baker so effusive on the trailer. He's one of the nation's truely great presenters. I don't always agree with him, but he's always entertaining.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on July 12, 2010, 01:26:38 PM
On the subject of Breezeblock, recently dug them out and his interview with Bret Easton Ellis is absolutely amazing. I've whacked it on Youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56h96nFN8_g

Wow, I've never actually heard that before. Thanks for posting it.

Quote from: DeGrise on July 12, 2010, 05:12:42 PMDelighted to hear Danny Baker so effusive on the trailer. He's one of the nation's truely great presenters. I don't always agree with him, but he's always entertaining.

He is indeed, a master of the medium. There is, quite rightly, something of a mutual love-in between Baker and Morris.

Neil

DeGrise, you're more than welcome, it thrills me to pass on stuff I love.  I just noticed I buggered up that earlier clip I posted to Twitter, knackered today, here's a fixed one. 

Danny Baker trailing Chris Morris Sunday GLR shows (1991)

The full version of the prank call can be found here.

These clips come courtesy of the tapes of @NeilMossey.  I can reupload the rest of what I have of the Danny Baker show, if anyone is interested.  Think it's about 20 minutes, I love his excitement over Vic Reeve's "I Will Cure You."

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2010, 06:37:30 PM
Danny Baker trailing Chris Morris Sunday GLR shows (1991)

The full version of the prank call can be found here.

It plays twice, but it made me laugh like a twat on both occasions so I'm not going to complain. That's absolutely incredible - I'm going to sound like a moron Youtube fanboy here, but fuck it, who would think to do an advert like that for their own show? Morris has a great imagination and was so ahead of his time.

It's nice to see CM getting a renewed endowment of love on this forum because for years the general tone of quite a few posters was negative, in the most extreme cases seemingly reaching the silly level of repudiating great swathes of his oeuvre. Been binging on the R1 shows again recently and they're just so bloody good.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 12, 2010, 05:39:15 PM
Wow, I've never actually heard that before. Thanks for posting it.

Don't mention it! Happy to try and do what I can to give a little back to a community that has given me so much - I've literally downloaded gigabytes of material from here, it's great websites like this exist. I think I might upload some more little clips I like.

jimmy jazz

Pepotamo1985

As it wasn't actually on Youtube previously, I took the liberty of uploading the Breezeblock interview with Michael Moore as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS1Y5-lUPqY

DJ Solid Snail

Hey Neil, did you get my PM? I've started upping clips here, I think I'll put them in a big playlist then do seperate playlists for GLR, No Known Cure, etc. I've put links to the CaB Wiki page which point to the upload sites w/the full shows on in each description. What ideas do you have re: annotations?

Neil

Sorry, run off my feet today.  I've PM'd you so that we can keep the thread for discussion of Morris on the radio, people haven't really been discussing much.

Annotations: I was thinking perhaps stuff like 'this is a reference to this news story' and things like that.  Sometimes I have to do research to fully understand Wayne Carr jokes, so I thought it would be helpful, although perhaps verging on patronising?  Fuck it, seems worth doing.

I'll probably end up doing these again anyway from the source, to preserve the audio quality, and bring them all under one CaB YT account.  Fussy cunt.

Glebe

Having just finished Disgusting Bliss, I'm raring to check out Morris' non-On The Hour stuff... the Peter Baynham stuff quoted in the book cracked me up. I think the only radio stuff I've heard outside OTH (and perhaps a little Blue Jam) is the taxi thing that featured on a free Select magazine tape. I love the fact that he's genuinely laughing.

dri-ft

Hey! Sorry to just lurk, scavenge, and contribute very little, but I wondered if there's any chance of the Breezeblock shows being made available for download? Or maybe they already are, and I'm just not looking in the right place? I couldn't see any sign of them on the Breezeblock page on the site. I'm working my way through the radio material at the moment and I just finished the Radio One shows, which I was totally blown away by, and would really enjoy being able to follow up with the Breezeblock stuff.

Thanks so much!

Pepotamo1985

I'll message you them.

Anyone else in need send me a PM?

jimmy jazz

Quick one, does anybody know where the whole Bate "Who's on my side?" bit is? I can't find it anywhere, does it also precede him eating flesh?

Neil

Here you go jimmy:
http://twaud.io/YNW

Regards the Breezeblock sets, I recently made an appeal on the front page to Mark Reed, the kind gent who won a copy of the Blue Jam Exclusives disc, which was a competition prize set by Warp when the Blue Jam CD was released.  Amazingly he's still out there, so I'll be ripping new versions of the Breezeblocks as soon as the CD arrives. 

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2010, 01:51:48 AM
Regards the Breezeblock sets, I recently made an appeal on the front page to Mark Reed, the kind gent who won a copy of the Blue Jam Exclusives disc, which was a competition prize set by Warp when the Blue Jam CD was released.  Amazingly he's still out there, so I'll be ripping new versions of the Breezeblocks as soon as the CD arrives.

Did that happen to have Doc Rude (a.k.a. Christ's Cock and Balls) - the deliberately offensive sketch designed to detract attention away from Bishopslips - on it? The only available copy I think is in a slightly rubbish 64kbps. I seem to remember hearing it had something else other than the Breezeblocks on there, although maybe it was just Bishopslips itself.

Neil

Yeah Doc Rude, and Bishopslips too I think, that's right.  I'll rip the whole thing again and perhaps even torrent it as an iso this time, but I do remember that Doc Rude was oddly drenched in bass.  I mean, it was so muffly it was hard to hear, for some reason, but perhaps I can EQ it.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2010, 11:19:14 AM
Yeah Doc Rude, and Bishopslips too I think, that's right.  I'll rip the whole thing again and perhaps even torrent it as an iso this time, but I do remember that Doc Rude was oddly drenched in bass.  I mean, it was so muffly it was hard to hear, for some reason, but perhaps I can EQ it.

I made a copy of that myself off the website at the time and, amazingly, I still have it.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h0eycn

Lee

Let me know if you need a hand with doing accurate CD rips and that.

That didn't mean to read as patronising as it does, sorry.

alcoholic messiah

I don't mind sounding patronising. The guides on this site detail what is now practically an internet standard for making lossless rips (for Windows users anyway):

http://blowfish.be/eac/

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2010, 01:51:48 AM
http://twaud.io/YNW

I was in pieces revisiting some of those moments. How on earth does Morris manage to make me laugh, still, with a well-worn bit of whimsy (compound animal, an 'oranguvulture' driving into the front of bridal shop) in a bit thats nearly as old as me? I've not yet found anyone that makes me laugh as much.

Koosh Koosh!

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on August 11, 2010, 09:13:08 PM
I don't mind sounding patronising. The guides on this site detail what is now practically an internet standard for making lossless rips (for Windows users anyway):

http://blowfish.be/eac/

Seconding the use of this guide, Neil. Exact Audio Copy via these settings is the only way to go nowerdays, if you're doing lossless. Remember to include the .log and the .cue in the eventual torrent, as they're quite important and all that.

NoSleep

Most likely to be lacking in top end. I can take a look if you want. Edit: weirdbeard's copy sounds good, though.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Vanguard No. 4A on July 11, 2010, 11:48:21 PM
"having bought the same cassette last week, and identified it for what it was from the moment it started."

KPM CD 22 The Editior's Companion 3/4 by Dick Walter

00:25 - 00:42   1.13   Tonight's Prizes
00:44 - 01:08   2.24   So Far
02:18 - 02:26   1.19   At the Organ (a)
03:50 - 03:55   1.19   At the Organ (a)
04:09 - 04:10   2.01   Acorn Rag (a)
04:12 - 04:33   2.24   So Far
04:33 - 04:43   ???
04:43 - 05:07   1.13   Tonight's Prizes

This disc is perhaps most notable however for 5.05 Shock Horror (a).

Incidentally, the presidential press conference in On The Hour ("you're looking good like I knew you would") appears to be KPM CD 21 The Editor's Companion 1/2 3.13 Special Event (e).  That 2.01 - 2.03 are entitled "News Plus" may also be of note.

In a terminally off topic final gasp, 4.03 Nice and Friendly (c) on KPM CD 168 The Editor's Companion 6 is heard elsewhere in conjuction with the exclamation "Hennimore!", and elsewhere still the functioning radio in Mrs Richards' room briefly plays Leisure Complex, on the B side of KPM LP 1127 Happy Rainbows.

But you know all this already.

Oh wow, just went through this thread again and just registered what this was.  Thanks for this info - I've always wanted to ID the incidental music in Morris' work.   I did begin to attempt it once and might have put a few bits of info on the Wayne Carr page of the wiki, but really should do more.  Think when Neil gets round to uploading the rest of the NKC shows, I'll begin there, might just clip a few bits here and there and ask for ID from people with library music knowledge - stuff with lyrics is a piece of piss to ID with a combination of Google, Spotify and YouTube, but the instrumental stuff is solid.

Whilst I've bumped this thread, it's only polite to talk about some of the shows.  My favourite piece of Morris radio is the No Known Cure off-air compilation tape from 1989.  Now, I realise I'm probably the only person on Earth to put this upon such a pedestal as opposed to the likes of the Radio 1 stuff, Blue Jam and the 93 GLR stuff, but I just love it.   I love it because it puts Morris pitting his wits more with members of the public.  Anyone who's only seen his TV stuff I don't think is really aware of this.  I love the way he has to deal with pissed up people fresh from the pub on a Friday night.   There's little bits of low-level, spontaneous, subtle, reactionary stuff there.  This could never happen now, you'd just get knowing people asking for Cake or Nonse Sense references.  I like how he works in a more conventional radio format, it's all well creating a self-contained slot with all your own music and sketches, but I like his reaction to music he doesn't like, little remarks here and there.  I'm also fascinated by listening to famous people's early work, how the creative process is gradually forming.  And, like I said in the Four Lions Aussie thread, I just like listening to the guy talk - the Mad People anecdote in the Compilation tape contains lines I've quoted for years now, since it was first uploaded.   The NKC stuff I've heard so far is patchy, but I love them for that, the early GLR stuff is in the same vein, I just wish we had more full shows from then to listen to.  I'm a bit put off by how the GLR stuff is so fragmented and incomplete (there's me heaping praise on a compilation tape, but there we go).  I know Neil's got another bunch of NKC full shows in the works to upload - he was very kind enough to give me rough copies to make date/running order/general ID work on, as the cassettes he had were all over the place, and there's some lovely little bits in those.

Anyway, yeah, 3am post over.  If someone wants to ramble lovingly about the Radio 1 shows or Blue Jam, I'd love to read it.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/507955157e91232c/
The NKC compilation tape - stream or download.

DJ Solid Snail

^ 'Swanee Whistle' reminds me of the Feedback Report openings.

Madison

Another one drawn to this thread after reading Disgusting Bliss. I obsessively taped the radio one shows as a kid, but they were all lost a thousand house-moves ago and my memory only throws up snippets of odd things like the airport announcement: "Nowa Needapiss" and a mash up of clips making the phrase "we aint got no fahkin idea" (these are 15 year old memories so I'm probably way off and can't wait to get reacquainted)

The downloads on page 1 don't seem to be working that well (I'm getting 'downloaded in 2 days/3days' messages), this isn't a complaint, more a mental nudge to myself to send a paypal donation to Neil if this helps speed up getting a proper package together on this HD business.