Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All the Viz-inspired adult humour titles

Started by Nelson Swillie, January 20, 2011, 03:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson Swillie

Oh Christ's ARSE. Bugs and Drugs...I thought I'd managed to forget all about that.

Bear Hackenbusch was the smarmiest peddler of half-baked uni-student whimsy until Noel Fielding came along. In what fucking universe is crap like "Although Darren is a right kipper, his mate is yum" and "she dances like she's just done a big poo in her tights" considered funny for fuck's sake?

No big surprise that Catalogue Trousers likes it. He hates Heart, therefore he has no soul.

Ignatius_S

Bugs and Drugs did a Viz-style insert, and one of the strips (Jarvis Cocker's Quest for Knockers) was re-reprinted in Viz.

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 26, 2011, 03:58:33 PM
Oh Christ's ARSE. Bugs and Drugs...I thought I'd managed to forget all about that.

Bear Hackenbusch was the smarmiest peddler of half-baked uni-student whimsy until Noel Fielding came along. In what fucking universe is crap like "Although Darren is a right kipper, his mate is yum" and "she dances like she's just done a big poo in her tights" considered funny for fuck's sake?

No big surprise that Catalogue Trousers likes it. He hates Heart, therefore he has no soul.

Bear didn't do Bugs & Drugs on his own, did he? If you're talking about the Character Assassination cards, it wasn't him that drew them.

Nelson Swillie

Oh, on first name terms are you? There's a surprise.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 26, 2011, 05:15:49 PM
Oh, on first name terms are you? There's a surprise.
A surprise? Why would that be?

Nelson Swillie

I'm simply guessing that you wrote him a gushing, chummy fan letter at some stage, congratulating him on feeding your ego.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on January 26, 2011, 06:09:17 PM
I'm simply guessing that you wrote him a gushing, chummy fan letter at some stage, congratulating him on feeding your ego.
Why would you guess that? Also, why would you think he fed my ego?

Tiny Poster

Let's clarify quickly: Ignatius hasn't offered an opinion on the work of Bear Hackenbush - he just referred to him using his first name. Which clearly isn't real.

Nelson Swillie

Fine. I jumped to a presumption, which was wrong of me.

Suffice it to say I found every single scrap of Bear Hackenbusch's work that I've ever seen unutterably tedious and studenty in the worst possible sense of that word. I also read an interview with him and he came across as a self-absorbed prick.

Tiny Poster

ajsmith

Quote from: Paaaaul on January 23, 2011, 07:52:07 PM
http://punksishippies.blogspot.com/search?q=bugs+drugs

Pity they dont' seem to work.
I too remember the Bugs and Drugs piece in Comedy Review. I spent the next few years assuming that it was a fairly well known cult periodical. Later discovered it was a pretty damn obscure organ for Comedy Review to be covering.  Maybe they thought they were getting n early on the new Viz (they did a Viz piece too in their 5 issues) Have always been intrigued by Bugs and Drugs attractive cover art, but it's frustrating to still not be able to get past that stage 15 years on!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: ajsmith on January 27, 2011, 10:45:34 AM
I too remember the Bugs and Drugs piece in Comedy Review. I spent the next few years assuming that it was a fairly well known cult periodical. Later discovered it was a pretty damn obscure organ for Comedy Review to be covering.  Maybe they thought they were getting n early on the new Viz (they did a Viz piece too in their 5 issues) Have always been intrigued by Bugs and Drugs attractive cover art, but it's frustrating to still not be able to get past that stage 15 years on!
Bugs and Drugs falls very much in the fanzine banner – the Viz-style insert, I mentioned, was very atypical for its usual content. Going from memory, they did three Viz-style strips on the insert, all of which featured Britpop artists – Supergrass was one and I'm pretty sure the other was Blur, but they were all weaker than the Jarvis Cocker one that was reprinted in Viz.

I'd say it was very much a local fanzine and I was always a little surprised to see it mentioned elsewhere. I think most would say that the 'cut out and keep character assassination cards' were the highlight of it – I remember some early ones being very well-observed – and some got reprinted in Venue (Bristol-based Timeout wannabee).

The guys behind Bugs and Drugs produce work at http://www.jacknifeposters.com/

kidsick5000

Bugs And Drugs was reprinted in Deadline in it's final year/s.
I really liked it's cut and paste style. Reminded me of the University of Turmoil.
Not to sound like an old man but photoshop and the internet have destroyed the
spontaneity of only using what you can find.
Yes, I liked the randomness of it.
Random in the traditional sense of course.

As much as I loved Viz, I never bought or felt any curiosity about the knock offs. Simply because they were clearly knock-offs. Like buying a Top Of The Pops album instead of songs by the actual artists

Pranet

Quote from: ajsmith on January 27, 2011, 10:45:34 AM

Which ones have you tried? Issue 4 downloaded ok for me.

rudi

Cor, Bugs & Drugs, I'd forgotten that one.

yeah, I read a fair few of them, rather enjoyed, as mentioned above, the scrawly, slap-dash approach of it.

It made a nice change to not being another fucking fanzine about Sarah Records, to be honest...

ajsmith

Quote from: Pranet on January 27, 2011, 07:56:26 PM
Which ones have you tried? Issue 4 downloaded ok for me.

All of them. Think it must be my computer that's at fault.

ajsmith

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on January 22, 2011, 07:55:34 PM

And also Filth!, very much a punk-rock ethos one, more like a fanzine than a magazine. The main star here was the vile Baby Bastard, another case of a strip much funnier than its title: but the whole thing went badly wrong when some bright spark decided to submit a piss-take of Paul Whicker The Tall Vicar which even had the same title, made the same jokes, and understandably got reported to the fine folks at Viz, who had a quiet word with obvious effect. Mind you, I loved its approach. Each issue had a "sensational free gift", in one case a Rice Krispie sellotaped to the cover with the exhortation "Buy 300 More Copies For A FREE Bowl Of Cereal". It's kind of hard to entirely dismiss a publication with that approach.

I saw some of these in the fanzine section of Tate Britain's Rude Brittania Exhibition last summer. I thought it looked like the worst, crassest, no redeeming features Viz inspired zine imaginable , which was probably the intention. Noted the "Paul Whicker- Tall Vicar" knock off as well, I think it was less a parody than a straight unauthorized continuation. Jim Bronslow's style would be fairly easy to replicate (and was more rendolent of Viz's fanzine origins than the polished work of later artists), and Paul Whicker hadn't been appearing with any frequency in Viz since the mid 80s so they probably thought he was fair game for nicking as a character.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteIn what fucking universe is crap like "Although Darren is a right kipper, his mate is yum" and "she dances like she's just done a big poo in her tights" considered funny for fuck's sake?

The same one where "I'd smash her back doors in" is, Nelson?

Oh for God's sake. Now Bugs 'N' Drugs is student-pleasing Noel Fielding whimsy. Seems to be your favourite insult for anything that you don't personally like, despite the fact that Bugs 'N' Drugs ripped the piss out of that sort of thing repeatedly.

I won't bother arguing re Heart. We're never gonna agree on that one. At least we concur on Chloe Vevrier...

Pranet

Quote from: ajsmith on January 28, 2011, 10:07:33 AM
All of them. Think it must be my computer that's at fault.

It may be, but having just given it a try, issue 4 seems to be the only link that is working for me as well.

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on January 30, 2011, 03:45:04 PM
I won't bother arguing re Heart. We're never gonna agree on that one.

That's because you're an inhuman monster with no soul.

NoSleep

KennyMonster

FWIW The only ones I can remember as standing out from the others was Brain Damage, although I believe now I'm older I'd get the references a bit more, there was loads that went above my head when I bought it.

The other one was Ziggy, I can't remember much about it,  just that a lot of it was very near the knuckle,  Anyone remember much about this one? Haven't been able to find much on the Net 

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: KennyMonster on February 02, 2011, 04:36:00 PM
The other one was Ziggy, I can't remember much about it,  just that a lot of it was very near the knuckle,  Anyone remember much about this one? Haven't been able to find much on the Net

Apparently the bloke behind Ziggy was a solicitor / legal eagle who delighted in pushing the envelope, hence articles along the (slightly depressing) lines of "Norris McWhirter caught sucking a billy goat's cock". Ziggy got pounced on by the News of the World for making fun of Ann Diamond's cot death, which just about sums up the level of humour to be found therein.

ajsmith

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on February 02, 2011, 04:45:07 PM
Apparently the bloke behind Ziggy was a solicitor / legal eagle who delighted in pushing the envelope, hence articles along the (slightly depressing) lines of "Norris McWhirter caught sucking a billy goat's cock". Ziggy got pounced on by the News of the World for making fun of Ann Diamond's cot death, which just about sums up the level of humour to be found therein.

I'm pretty sure that was Zit, as  detailed by Chris Donald in his book "Rude Kids". I also found the issue of Zit with the apology for the Ann Diamond joke in a junk shop recently. According to the apology, the article merely mocked Ann Diamond and happened in shops at the time of the cot death (which Zit where unaware of) rather than mocking the cot death itself. Dunno how true that was.
It's also possible that Ziggy also mocked Ann Diamond/the cot death at the same time, and also got in trouble for it. If so, apologies.

Nelson Swillie

No, Ziggy did it as well, because I bought that issue. I went through a stage of buying at least one copy of all the rip-offs. They also did a mocked-up photo of Bros as Nazi stormtroopers. Quite what the point of that was, fuck knows.

ajsmith

Quote from: Nelson Swillie on February 02, 2011, 05:26:39 PM
No, Ziggy did it as well, because I bought that issue. I went through a stage of buying at least one copy of all the rip-offs. They also did a mocked-up photo of Bros as Nazi stormtroopers. Quite what the point of that was, fuck knows.

Ah thanks. Maybe Ziggys' pisstake was the one that really mocked the cot death and Zit's apology was telling the truth?
About 5 years ago I found a copy of a typical early 90s style Viz clone that was ENTIRELY made up of fake news stories, with no strips at all. (definitely predating the Onion-inspired early 00s fake news craze) : any idea what that could've been. Was that Ziggy?

KennyMonster

Ah, I remember an article in Ziggy about Bros being siamese twins joined at the testicle.

Why did this magazine not out-sell The Sun?

KennyMonster

Quote from: ajsmith on February 02, 2011, 05:34:19 PM
Ah thanks. Maybe Ziggys' pisstake was the one that really mocked the cot death and Zit's apology was telling the truth?
About 5 years ago I found a copy of a typical early 90s style Viz clone that was ENTIRELY made up of fake news stories, with no strips at all. (definitely predating the Onion-inspired early 00s fake news craze) : any idea what that could've been?

There was one that looked like the Sun newspaper, maybe "The Daily Head" that is described in the original post, although I think it did have a few 4 panel cartoon strips in it.

OK now I've mentioned The Sun twice in one day, this is too much, time for a wank bit of a lie down.

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: ajsmith on February 02, 2011, 05:34:19 PM
About 5 years ago I found a copy of a typical early 90s style Viz clone that was ENTIRELY made up of fake news stories, with no strips at all. (definitely predating the Onion-inspired early 00s fake news craze) : any idea what that could've been. Was that Ziggy?

The Scam or the Head by the sound of it.