Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:11:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3?

Started by Stone Cold Jane Austen, January 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Quote from: NoSleep on May 14, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
Whilst rewatching Twin Peaks season 1 & 2 I've been pondering various things that it may have influenced and the oddest one is that strand of Japanese horror films that begin with The Grudge (followed by The Ring). They have a similar them of malevolent spirits at work amongst men. Hey, the US version of The Grudge (directed by the director of the original Japanese version(s), Takashi Shimizu) even featured Grace Zabriskie, perhaps unsurprisingly (had Shimizu asked after the cast of Twin Peaks?) The other thing these films have in common with Twin Peaks is they are set in a world where the supernatural is simply accepted as part of everyday existence; nobody ever questions Agent Cooper's use of dreams and visions to solve crime, or the Major's vision that he shares with Bobby; also his work involving messages from outer space that he forwards to Agent Cooper

Boring pedantry but I think that gets retconned to saying that the messages actually came from the woods. It had an air of another writer coming in and deliberately throwing away what had come before.

I prefer the woods answer, to be honest - I don't really like the "outer space" aspect of Twin Peaks. (Who was it said that Bob and Mike come from a planet of creamed corn? Bob Engels? Yeuch. Hope that isn't in S3.)

Bad Ambassador

Currently watching the entire series for the first time, and I'd have to agree. Lynch works best in this context when hinting at the madness and horror that lies under the whisper-thin veneer of normalcy we think of as the real world. This is why outer space stuff seems out of place, and why I couldn't care less about who owns the fucking sawmill.

NoSleep

Quote from: mjwilson on May 14, 2017, 10:32:09 PM
Boring pedantry but I think that gets retconned to saying that the messages actually came from the woods.

I think I recall that now, although I have yet to catch up on that detail, so far (just up to the episode where "Mike" speaks through the one-armed man).

mjwilson

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 15, 2017, 12:44:32 PM
Currently watching the entire series for the first time, and I'd have to agree. Lynch works best in this context when hinting at the madness and horror that lies under the whisper-thin veneer of normalcy we think of as the real world. This is why outer space stuff seems out of place, and why I couldn't care less about who owns the fucking sawmill.

I still don't really get what's going on with the sawmill burning down plot, as everyone with any involvement in the mill seems to be in on the plot.

Phil_A

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 15, 2017, 12:44:32 PM

As I understand, when they were writing the pilot Lynch left all the Packard stuff to Mark Frost because he wasn't really interested in it. And who can blame him.

up_the_hampipe

Doesn't look like there's going to be any sawmill business in the new season, right? Unless they've got a new bunch of people to take over. Josie is storyline dead, Pete is real life dead, and Piper Laurie apparently wasn't asked to come back.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil_A on May 15, 2017, 05:47:14 PM
As I understand, when they were writing the pilot Lynch left all the Packard stuff to Mark Frost because he wasn't really interested in it. And who can blame him.

He was more interested in the smoked cheese pig.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 13, 2017, 03:47:14 PM
Here's a clip of Madchen Amick watching the new teaser for the first time: https://twitter.com/TheTalkCBS/status/862822299367616512 ("Who's that?")

Love u Madchen xx

Goldentony

Josie isn't dead is she, she's just turned into a bedside table. Shame Harry isn't back for this because i'd have liked to have seen him and the table driving about to Herman's Hermits 'I'm into Something Good' and going the cinema, eating candy floss and all that.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Goldentony on May 15, 2017, 08:33:50 PM
Josie isn't dead is she, she's just turned into a bedside table. Shame Harry isn't back for this because i'd have liked to have seen him and the table driving about to Herman's Hermits 'I'm into Something Good' and going the cinema, eating candy floss and all that.

Knob.

Goldentony

He can't just go about with the knob though, he'd look like an idiot

Bhazor

I don't like all the cast interviews and fluff pieces where the cast is laughing and talking about funny the show is like its the reunion of Brady Bunch or posing with their fucking pop vinyl figures. Or that cunt tv critic saying "So long as Cooper talks about coffee I'm happy".

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: mjwilson on May 14, 2017, 10:32:09 PM
Boring pedantry but I think that gets retconned to saying that the messages actually came from the woods. It had an air of another writer coming in and deliberately throwing away what had come before.

I prefer the woods answer, to be honest - I don't really like the "outer space" aspect of Twin Peaks. (Who was it said that Bob and Mike come from a planet of creamed corn? Bob Engels? Yeuch. Hope that isn't in S3.)

I think the creamed corn planet was recounted by Engels as a Lynch notion. Bob and Mike were trans-dimensional beings who originated in a plane of creamed corn based energy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotenobody ever questions Agent Cooper's use of dreams and visions to solve crime

Except of course, when they do. Harry specifically gets tired of it during the murder investigation, going above Cooper and he follows the conventional lead to make an arrest. And when you consider 'nobody ever questions it', Harry is really the only person of sufficient clout to question Cooper anyway - and he does.

However, Cooper is given latitude at the start as he is perceived as functioning on a higher level than anyone involved as well as of course being an FBI agent who they are by default deferring to, whereas towards the end all involved have enough personal experience of the supernatural goings on to have no reason to doubt him, indeed to be curious themselves.

Twin Peaks world containing people with experiences they believe are supernatural but also a majority who don't or haven't been given any good reason to think like that, other than their woodland folk stories. Twin Peaks is interesting because it brings much of that to life. I find the supernatural element interesting because Lynch takes care to always place it as being outside of human experience and control, and therefore every scene containing it is laced with threat and intrigue.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 15, 2017, 09:53:10 PM
Harry specifically gets tired of it during the murder investigation

He hasn't so far in my rewatch (15 episodes in and he's sitting watching Julee Cruz, with Coop and the Log Lady, in pursuit of one of Coop's visions of a giant). And don't forget Sheriff Truman is a member of the Bookhouse Boys, whose specific reason for existence is that there an "evil lurking in the woods". And they just got finished unleashing "Mike" from within the one-armed man.

NoSleep

Further to my previously mentioned connection between Twin Peaks and Ju-On (AKA The Grudge), Grace Zabriskie just crawled down the stairs like the avenging spirit does in Ju-on.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 10:12:45 PM
He hasn't so far in my rewatch (15 episodes in and he's sitting watching Julee Cruz, with Coop and the Log Lady, in pursuit of one of Coop's visions of a giant). And don't forget Sheriff Truman is a member of the Bookhouse Boys, whose specific reason for existence is that there an "evil lurking in the woods". And they just got finished unleashing "Mike" from within the one-armed man.

When all the evidence seems to implicate Ben Horne as Laura's killer, but Coop's dreams/visions/instincts tell him to look elsewhere, Truman's seemingly infinite patience finally snaps and he takes control. He's been tolerant to the more eccentric investigations, but Harry finally wants to side with conventional police work when the end is in sight, and Cooper magnanimously steps aside, respecting the Sheriff's call.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Bhazor on May 15, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
I don't like all the cast interviews and fluff pieces where the cast is laughing and talking about funny the show is like its the reunion of Brady Bunch or posing with their fucking pop vinyl figures. Or that cunt tv critic saying "So long as Cooper talks about coffee I'm happy".

Speaking of pop vinyl figures, sorry if this has been talked about already but I saw this one advertised on Twitter earlier and it made me do a bit of a double take:

There you go, get your cutesy bobblehead of a teenage girl who's just been raped and murdered by her dad. Enjoy this chilling, poignant image now safely absorbed into cuddly Nerd Culture homogeny and ready to stand next to Rick Grimes and Jules from Pulp Fiction on your desktop. Damn fine cherry pie.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 15, 2017, 10:20:50 PM
When all the evidence seems to implicate Ben Horne as Laura's killer, but Coop's dreams/visions/instincts tell him to look elsewhere, Truman's seemingly infinite patience finally snaps and he takes control. He's been tolerant to the more eccentric investigations, but Harry finally wants to side with conventional police work when the end is in sight, and Cooper magnanimously steps aside, respecting the Sheriff's call.

That must happen in the next (16th) episode and I think that's the one where they finally connect Leland Palmer (whose has just murdered Maddy whilst possessed by Bob) to Laura's murder. So Harry's snap is momentary.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

You can get her rapist murderer dad in full on Maddy-bashing kill-mode too, just to complete the adorable diorama.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 10:26:01 PM
That must happen in the next (16th) episode and I think that's the one where they finally connect Leland Palmer (whose has just murdered Maddy whilst possessed by Bob) to Laura's murder. So Harry's snap is momentary.

I wasn't saying otherwise. It's a moment of high tension, where the case's end is in sight, and in that moment, when all the evidence provides a satisfying conclusion to the case that's rocked the entire town, Truman becomes, not unreasonably, tired of indulging Tibetan method and dream-riddles.

Rev

Quote from: NoSleep on May 14, 2017, 08:57:53 PM
Whilst rewatching Twin Peaks season 1 & 2 I've been pondering various things that it may have influenced and the oddest one is that strand of Japanese horror films that begin with The Grudge (followed by The Ring). They have a similar them of malevolent spirits at work amongst men.

It had a lot of stylistic impact on a whole load of things, but that run of films was based on traditional Japanese fairy tales being given a modern tweak - one hit and they all started doing it.  I'm not well-versed but they do tend to feature chaotic spirits and gender issues are usually at the forefront.  Twin Peaks affected everything, but if we're looking for what kicked that strand off I suspect it was someone in Japan stumbling upon Company of Wolves on the TV one night.

Thomas

I hate those bobbleheads. Fuck 'em.

They've made some proper action figures, at least, complete with Dead Laura -

up_the_hampipe

Twin Peaks should not have action figures or any type of toys. It's not fucking Thunderbirds or something.

Bhazor

Proof fandoms kill everything they love.

Squink

Quote from: Bhazor on May 15, 2017, 08:56:32 PM

I don't mind any of this. Twin Peaks had plenty of funny moments, I don't see it entirely as some daaaark fest. It makes sense that the cast would be having fun.

NoSleep

Quote from: Rev on May 16, 2017, 12:05:32 AM
It had a lot of stylistic impact on a whole load of things, but that run of films was based on traditional Japanese fairy tales being given a modern tweak - one hit and they all started doing it.  I'm not well-versed but they do tend to feature chaotic spirits and gender issues are usually at the forefront.  Twin Peaks affected everything, but if we're looking for what kicked that strand off I suspect it was someone in Japan stumbling upon Company of Wolves on the TV one night.

I bet they loved Twin Peaks in Japan.

Most certainly they come from Japanese folklore of some kind, but they seem to have taken a page from the Twin Peaks book (Laura Palmer's Diary?). I don't think it's a coincidence that Grace Zabriskie was in the US version of Ju-on (and seems to have been the instigator of that creepy way of crawling downstairs). And there's a similarity between how Bob manifests in the Palmer home and the way Sadako appears in people's homes in Ring. There's definitely some Twin Peaks riffs in there.

BlodwynPig

Wasn't the creepy stairs descending first used in The Exorcist?

NoSleep

That was a "spider walk".

The Twin Peaks/Ju-On version is a whole other creepy.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2017, 09:01:25 AM
That was a "spider walk".

What is Ju-On? A praying mantis?