Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3?

Started by Stone Cold Jane Austen, January 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2017, 09:04:00 AM
Ju-On = The Grudge

ffs. What is the insect the Ju-On walk is supposed to mimic, if The Exorcist is a spider-walk.

What a pointless conversation.

I back down. Ju-On has cribbed from Twin Peaks.

NoSleep

I dunno... the "spider walk" reference is what everyone calls the Exorcist descent. They just call the Ju-On one "crawling down the stairs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1ZfSBygwI

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2017, 09:12:40 AM
I dunno... the "spider walk" reference is what everyone calls the Exorcist descent. They just call the Ju-On one "crawling down the stairs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1ZfSBygwI

I've watched neither films.

Skip Bittman

Thursday

Oh Christ this is actually happening. May 21st! Fuck!

up_the_hampipe

Woah, Richard Beymer got very old. He's 79. Goodness me, it's like 25 years have passed.

mjwilson

Holy crap,  not only is the Giant still alive, but he was only in his early forties during the original run.

Ja'moke

The walls of the Great Northern still look the same. That pleases me.

I do wonder just how much time we're going to spend with the original cast though. I'm thinking the story will mainly revolve around the newbies (and Coop obviously), and that's kind of what I'm hoping. This doesn't need to be a simple nostalgia trip. I want to check in with the oldies but not sure I want them driving the plot (if there is a plot!).

NoSleep

The IMDB seems to indicate a lot of the original cast will only appear in one episode (maybe not the same episode all at once). The exceptions to this appear to be the Palmers (all three), Shelley and Bobby, Coop, Ed (but not Norma; 1 ep only)), Lucy (but not Andy; 1 ep only) and Dr. Jacoby.

up_the_hampipe

I want it to be all about the oldies, but I understand that the newbies would make for a better show overall probably. Bit drunk on the member berries. I couldn't give a hoot about Naomi Watts or whatever names have latched themselves to this. I want it to be like Twin Peaks but wrinklier.

Phil_A

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2017, 08:16:55 PM
The IMDB seems to indicate a lot of the original cast will only appear in one episode (maybe not the same episode all at once). The exceptions to this appear to be the Palmers (all three), Shelley and Bobby, Coop, Ed (but not Norma; 1 ep only)), Lucy (but not Andy; 1 ep only) and Dr. Jacoby.

That makes sense - there's too big a cast to really give them all equal screentime, so I figured some of them would be not much more than a cameo. Plus some of the older actors are(or were, taking into account those who've died since filming) I think no longer working - Richard Beymer has been retired for years - so I could imagine some of them just coming up to do a few days filming for old time's sake.

Ja'moke

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2017, 08:16:55 PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to IMDB (where Twin Peaks is concerned). It seems mainly put together by guesswork.

Anyway, vauge episode descriptions for the first 8 parts:

Part 1: My log has a message for you.
Part 2: The stars turn and a time presents itself.
Part 3: Call for help.
Part 4: ...brings back some memories.
Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?

the ouch cube

Russ Tamblyn looks virtually the same. Grace Zabriskie has always looked old.

hummingofevil

Quick one.

I've seen first series multiple times and absolutely love it but never had any urge to watch anything more of it. Will I need to go back and watch the whole thing before this new series as would like to watch it. Appreciate that it's not aired yet but you know. Cheers!

Obel

Just the film apparently, as the new season apparently keeps the same vibe as the film.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 17, 2017, 02:53:18 AM
Quick one.

I've seen first series multiple times and absolutely love it but never had any urge to watch anything more of it. Will I need to go back and watch the whole thing before this new series as would like to watch it. Appreciate that it's not aired yet but you know. Cheers!

Season 2 is generally great for the first 9 episodes up to the resolution of the Laura Palmer mystery, then it gets increasingly shit and aimless for the next 7, then it gets interesting again for the last few and the series finale (directed by Lynch) is amazing. I'm rewatching the show at the moment and I just couldn't be arsed with the season 2 weak stretch so I decided to skip from episode 9 straight to episode 17, which is when (for me anyway) the show starts to recover after reaching its nadir and also starts putting a lot of pieces in place for the finale.

Whether or not you can be bothered with those middle episodes (which, despite containing some good and interesting stuff, are generally seen as a bit of an endurance test by even the biggest fans) I'd definitely recommend against watching the new season before you've seen at least The Good Bits of season 2. I'd also save the film for last as it as it expands on several things that were established in season 2 and will spoil the reveal of Laura's killer as well as the events of the finale if you haven't seen those yet.

BlodwynPig

Those middles episodes of Season 2 are like a poor-man's Dynasty. Soft focus equine fever dream.

Custard

I rewatched all of it, with plenty of fast-forwarding in the middle of the second season

SORRY JAMES AND DONNA

Custard

After Fire Walk With Me, deffo check out The Missing Pieces, as that's some great stuff

Ja'moke

I've got two episodes left of my rewatch (and then FWWM); I did a lot of fast-forwarding through that middle patch. Rough. But it picks up again once Cooper is back in his suit and Shelly is back in the diner. I think that's around Episode 25 (on the blu-ray set) - the episode Annie arrives. Episode 26 might be when Coop ditches the flannel. So I'd recommend watching up to Episode 17 (on the blu-ray set), then skipping to Episode 25 (maybe 24 if you want to see someone get sucked into a drawer knob). It's still shaky from there on but definitely an improvement and with a clearer direction, and of course, the Season 2 finale is spectacular.

Skip Bittman

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/david-lynch-talks-twin-peaks-revival-mulholland-drive-w482337

"You recently said you weren't doing movies ever again –
[Interrupts] I didn't say that. That was a misquote. I just said that feature films are not having a great time right now – at least the kind of feature films that I would want to see or make. Theaters want money, so they put in films that are going to generate a big audience. But the art houses are mostly gone. I say the new art house is cable television.

Will there be more Twin Peaks after this?
I have no idea. It depends on how it goes over. You're going to have to wait and see."

Also -

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/arts/television/twin-peaks-showtime-david-lynch-interview.html

imitationleather

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 17, 2017, 02:53:18 AM
Quick one.

This is my situation. Had the DVDs for years and years and have watched season 1 multiple times (loving basically every second of it) but as soon as I get to season 2 I just cannot be fucking arsed. It's not helped that I've read spoilers so know the big ones and cannot forget them now matter how hard I try. Oh, and also I am aware that everyone says s2 is largely shite, which is a good motivation killer.

Will probably start s3 with the sketchy knowledge of what happens and nothing else.

Thomas

All these nutters not watching any of series 2. Have you watched the film?

Get those vital (and good) episodes of series 2 watched, pronto. Skip the red ones if you want, they really are a testing slog, but get back onboard for the arrival of Annie and the fantastic finale. Very, very obvious that Lynch has stepped back in at that point, operating at full, uncompromising energy. Unskippable.

Bhazor

Quote from: Skip Bittman on May 16, 2017, 06:16:33 PM

Say what you like. That is a fantastic old woman face. I bet she can do mourning like a pro and talk prothetic bullshit all day.

NoSleep

Quote from: Bhazor on May 17, 2017, 07:13:06 PM
I bet she can do mourning like a pro and talk prothetic bullshit all day.

To the one-armed man?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Thomas on May 17, 2017, 07:12:12 PM
All these nutters not watching any of series 2. Have you watched the film?

Get those vital (and good) episodes of series 2 watched, pronto. Skip the red ones if you want, they really are a testing slog, but get back onboard for the arrival of Annie and the fantastic finale. Very, very obvious that Lynch has stepped back in at that point, operating at full, uncompromising energy. Unskippable.

I think it's somewhat of a myth that Lynch stepped away. Frost was the one actually off directing his film Storyville for a large chunk of Season 2. Cast members and producers (Harley Peyton specifically) have said Lynch was still very hands on in Season 2, especially in the casting process (he cast Robin Lively and the lady who played Evelyn), and obviously he was on the set a lot because he was playing Gordon Cole. And he appeared on The Tonight Show urging fans to write to ABC to save the show.

What seemed to be the problem is that with Frost not on hand (apparently still read the scripts for every episode, but wasn't there in the flesh), Lynch wasn't properly controlled. Lynch's working methods are very freeform and of-the-moment, so he'd be coming up with ideas and scenes at like midnight before shooting the next morning. The other producers and directors didn't know how to deal with that, they couldn't just change everything last minute when they had a schedule to stick to. I think that's where Lynch became frustrated with the constraints of network TV. Whereas when Frost was there, working hand in hand with Lynch, they complimented each other.

That's why this new season is so exciting because it's Frost and Lynch writing every episode and Lynch directing without the rules of network TV holding him back.

PS - It is indeed nuts that some people haven't watched those first 9 episodes of Season 2 when they contain some of Peaks most iconic and greatest moments.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: imitationleather on May 17, 2017, 06:33:04 PM
This is my situation. Had the DVDs for years and years and have watched season 1 multiple times (loving basically every second of it) but as soon as I get to season 2 I just cannot be fucking arsed. It's not helped that I've read spoilers so know the big ones and cannot forget them now matter how hard I try. Oh, and also I am aware that everyone says s2 is largely shite, which is a good motivation killer.

Will probably start s3 with the sketchy knowledge of what happens and nothing else.

I think you've misunderstood the consensus on season 2. As others have said, the "largely shite" parts are contained to a specific stretch of episodes that don't begin until near the halfway mark of the season. The first nine episodes are more or less on par with what came before and, as Ja'moke says above, feature some of the most memorable moments in the series. If the show had simply ended after those nine episodes I don't think many fans would argue that the two seasons were markedly different in quality (although I think the show's cult status would have proved slightly less enduring without the open-endedness of the brilliant finale). It seems a shame to disregard those episodes just because they were followed up by a bunch of shiters.

Custard

One day someone will do a great fan-edit of the second season, cutting out all the bobbins. It'll be about 6 hours long, and be brilliant

They could slip in an animation of James' bike going under the wheels of a truck

up_the_hampipe

Not to take the pictures above too literally, but I'm wondering if Naomi Watts will play Annie? Heather Graham isn't coming back after all.