Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3?

Started by Stone Cold Jane Austen, January 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: JimFromTheMoon on May 26, 2017, 01:08:51 AM
painting shovels gold it seems. I wonder what's up with that? My first instinct was that it's just a kind of art installation in the woods for no real purpose. he's the kind of eccentric fella who would do that.

I would think he's anticipating 5 people digging for something.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It would be funny if it was all just an elaborate mislead and Jacoby simply thought five golden shovels would look cool.

mothman

They did look kind of pretty, actually. I need to pop to B&Q in a moment anyway, here's hoping I don't come back with five shovels and some spray paint.

mothman

Also, is it wrong that I looked at a close-up image of the figure in the jail cell and thought "Bill Cosby?!"

BlodwynPig

i thought it was the guy behind the restaurant in Mulholland Drive.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Obel on May 26, 2017, 08:24:06 AM
Dougie turned into a gold ball bearing. Perhaps gold has some sort of mystical qualities in the Twin Peaks universe?

It's a good conductor of electricity.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 26, 2017, 11:16:39 AM
i thought it was the guy behind the restaurant in Mulholland Drive.

First thing I thought of. It does all seem a bit Lynch's Greatest Hits at times. One bit was very Eraserhead. He's a bit obsessed with characters fracturing into multiple people. And women being battered and abused, but that's a whole other percolator of fish.

BlodwynPig

The purple descent was the best bit of telly I have seen for ages. A bit like that scene in Mino2aur, but more bizarre.

JimFromTheMoon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 26, 2017, 06:00:18 PM
The purple descent was the best bit of telly I have seen for ages. A bit like that scene in Mino2aur, but more bizarre.

agreed, just talking to my buddy about that now. he's coming into the new series completely blind (or should I say his eyes are sewn shut). he never saw the original series or movie and wants to get into it because he loved L O S T and The Leftovers which are spiritual cousins to TP. he loved that scene most of all. the wordless whispers, the terrifying pounding on the door, the creepy editing of her movements, the eventual reveal that they are in some floating metal box in space, the fact that it's Ronette Pulaski on the couch when he comes back down into the room, and of course the awesome scene of him going into the electrical outlet. I keep finding myself saying the same thing I said when I watched the original series, "I can't believe this is on TV." can't wait for Sunday...

Ja'moke

Quote from: JimFromTheMoon on May 26, 2017, 06:10:44 PM
agreed, just talking to my buddy about that now. he's coming into the new series completely blind (or should I say his eyes are sewn shut). he never saw the original series or movie and wants to get into it because he loved L O S T and The Leftovers which are spiritual cousins to TP. he loved that scene most of all. the wordless whispers, the terrifying pounding on the door, the creepy editing of her movements, the eventual reveal that they are in some floating metal box in space, the fact that it's Ronette Pulaski on the couch when he comes back down into the room, and of course the awesome scene of him going into the electrical outlet. I keep finding myself saying the same thing I said when I watched the original series, "I can't believe this is on TV." can't wait for Sunday...

Unfortunately, Part 5 isn't until the following Sunday, June 4.

Luckily there's so much going on in these first four parts that it should hold us over for the next week and a bit!

Custard

Yeah, I'm rewatching all 4 tomorrow. Gonna put on my 5.99 One Eyed Jacks T-shirt and make a day of it

Fuck off sun, indoors is where it's at!

JimFromTheMoon

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 26, 2017, 06:59:21 PM
Unfortunately, Part 5 isn't until the following Sunday, June 4.

Luckily there's so much going on in these first four parts that it should hold us over for the next week and a bit!

daaamn, I thought it was Sunday! ah well, I won't be greedy. I guess I'll just watch them again.  I watched them all while my girlfriend was at work on Monday and had to pretend I hadn't seen them while rewatching them with her over the next few days. part of me felt bad for lying, but a bigger part didn't care at all, so... 

Hollow

Quote from: JimFromTheMoon on May 26, 2017, 07:26:12 PM
daaamn, I thought it was Sunday! ah well, I won't be greedy. I guess I'll just watch them again.  I watched them all while my girlfriend was at work on Monday and had to pretend I hadn't seen them while rewatching them with her over the next few days. part of me felt bad for lying, but a bigger part didn't care at all, so...

Did you have to do all that fake surprise stuff? I hate that, but sometimes you just can't wait.

JimFromTheMoon

haa yes, it felt a bit shitty, but I think I pulled it off. she's a very trusting person. shit, now I feel worse...

Ja'moke

daaamn, I thought it was Sunday! ah well, I won't be greedy. I guess I'll just watch them again. 

Yeah, it's a frustrating wait. It's because technically Part 3 and 4 haven't aired on TV yet, they were just available on demand for Showtime subscribers as a sort of bonus (and then Sky put them on demand too). So Part 5 on 4th of June, and then a new Part each Sunday after that (although I think it skips a week in July for a U.S. holiday - Fourth of July weekend? Probably.)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Episode 3 verdict -

If that was a mid episode of Season 2 everyone would be all self-satisfied and go 'skip past lol you don't need to see that one'.

Other than the Cooper/doppelganger scenes and the odd laugh that was nearly all awful. Horribly paced, lack of exposition, even by the bare minimum expectations and precious little respite from the tedium. The scenes featuring the original cast have some truly shocking performances that this time aren't masked by an eloquent script.

I get that it's not the Twin Peaks everyone was expecting, I'm not hoping for that. I'm hoping for the hallmarks of good TV making. Intrigue, pace, plot, beauty, tension. It's so overloaded with intrigue but hardly any of anything else. Eps 1 and 2 were excellent but this should have moved through the gears quicker. There was half an hour of material there, maximum.

had to pretend I hadn't seen them while rewatching them with her over the next few days.

Wait, you can do that? I...no, I mustn't.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 26, 2017, 09:34:48 PM
Episode 3 verdict -

If that was a mid episode of Season 2 everyone would be all self-satisfied and go 'skip past lol you don't need to see that one'.

If the middle of Season 2 had anything as interesting as that opening 15 minute Purple Room sequence then people wouldn't say to skip it.

Ruth Davenport's bookcase. A couple of nice little easter eggs there. "Indian Heritage", "Dreamland".

QDRPHNC

Episode 3 verdict -

Other than the Cooper/doppelganger scenes and the odd laugh that was nearly all awful. Horribly paced, lack of exposition, even by the bare minimum expectations and precious little respite from the tedium. The scenes featuring the original cast have some truly shocking performances that this time aren't masked by an eloquent script.

I get that it's not the Twin Peaks everyone was expecting, I'm not hoping for that. I'm hoping for the hallmarks of good TV making. Intrigue, pace, plot, beauty, tension. It's so overloaded with intrigue but hardly any of anything else. Eps 1 and 2 were excellent but this should have moved through the gears quicker. There was half an hour of material there, maximum.

I had my own issues with episodes 3 + 4 (see earlier in the thread), but come on, S?S! I think you're overstating things here. For all it's problems, I think this is a stunning revival, exceeding what anyone could have expecting. As for the critiques of the pacing and such - well, that's David Lynch, eh? Does his own thing. He's one of the few people I won't slam until I see his work all the way through.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIf the middle of Season 2 had anything as interesting as that opening 15 minute Purple Room sequence

Interesting? Hmm, arthouse dream sequence using Twin Peaks character as a vehicle. Fine as a standalone but it was one awful mess of an episode.

You'll be pleased to know that:

Episode 4:

Really enjoyed this one, felt like we could have got to here already with less slothfulness. Starting to pick up a bit of a rhythm, even though Miguel Ferrer is yet another one struggling to pick up the threads of his character. Bobby was excellent mind. Andy is too broadbrush now and the actor seems to have forgotten what made him charming whatsoever.

Hollow

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 26, 2017, 10:47:38 PM
Interesting? Hmm, arthouse dream sequence using Twin Peaks character as a vehicle. Fine as a standalone but it was one awful mess of an episode.

You'll be pleased to know that:

Episode 4:

Really enjoyed this one, felt like we could have got to here already with less slothfulness. Starting to pick up a bit of a rhythm, even though Miguel Ferrer is yet another one struggling to pick up the threads of his character. Bobby was excellent mind. Andy is too broadbrush now and the actor seems to have forgotten what made him charming whatsoever.

That's strange, four was my least liked so far, three I thought was amazing...I liked what you didn't.

Andy has just morphed into an aged Stan Laurel.

I actually resented not liking four a bit cause I knew it was the last one for what seems like ages, and I got bloody Micheal Sera.

Edit it's Cera isn't it?

QDRPHNC

Ja'moke

Personally, I love the languid Lynch stuff. I just enjoy getting sucked into the mood and atmosphere. A scene can drag on for 30 minutes for all I care.

Just rewatching the creepy Cole and Evil Coop scene. When Evil Coop first speaks to Cole he says, "It's yrev, very good to see you again old friend." A sign that he isn't the real Coop as he almost slipped into reverse talk.

Hollow

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 27, 2017, 12:59:22 AM
Personally, I love the languid Lynch stuff. I just enjoy getting sucked into the mood and atmosphere. A scene can drag on for 30 minutes for all I care.

Just rewatching the creepy Cole and Evil Coop scene. When Evil Coop first speaks to Cole he says, "It's yerv, very good to see you again old friend." A sign that he isn't the real Coop as he almost slipped into reverse talk.

That scene was mesmerising...if I was all just dank Lynch I'd be happy.

And forget what I said earlier about MacLachlan's range....I'm clearly an idiot.

Thursday

Just seen ep 3 and 4 now and I'm half with Shoulders on episode 3. It was almost all scenes of things happening too slowly.  And the comic relief with Lucy and Andy is going a bit too over the top. It's like the difference between early Simpsons Homer and Present day Simpsons Homer.  I know it's not the a mystery show with plots and twists and turns anymore, but there's certain plot points that were inevitably going to happen that I just wanted it to hurry up and get past. 4 was more enjoyable as it does all seem to be levelling out now.

Ja'moke

Bhazor

I should say I didn't actually like Twin Peaks series 1 when I first saw it. I was horribly bored by all the melodrama and wanted more of the supernatural stuff from the first episode.  I freely admit I was a total moron and rewatching it a year later I adored it but this series feels like the show I wanted season 1 to be when I first saw it. So thanks Dave, this was just what I wanted. Took long enough though you fucking hack.

Shaky

Episode 3 truly was "What-the-fuck, I've-literally-no-clue-what's-going-to-happen-next" stuff. It did try my patience a bit and I'll have to watch it again, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting anything even remotely like that. I don't know if I enjoyed much of it (not 100% sold on "Dougie" just yet) but it's impressive how utterly Lynch and Frost destroyed any expectations about Coop exiting the Lodge.

Four was great, though, and all the old guard were spot on. I'd heard Ferrer would be pretty subdued (whether due to illness or Lynch's patented spur-of-the-moment directing oddness) but he was recognisably still Albert, albeit a lot older and mellower. Lynch and Duchovny were both great and Cera was hilarious. Andy and Lucy's gormless beaming was spot on.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 26, 2017, 10:47:38 PM

You do know that this season is based on a single script that spans the entire 18-episode length? It's effectively an 18-hour Lynch movie. All they've done is cut it into episode-length pieces (so they're not really "doing" episodes). Although almost all TV series that feature long story arcs will have occasional episodes that are effectively only bridges.

BlodwynPig

Episode 3 verdict -

You hoping for a good session show?