Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittens

BeardFaceMan

You know when you right click a file and you have 'send to' option, is there any way to edit the locations so I can put a few of my own in there? Or even better make it a 'copy to' command?

olliebean

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 04, 2017, 01:20:29 PM
You know when you right click a file and you have 'send to' option, is there any way to edit the locations so I can put a few of my own in there? Or even better make it a 'copy to' command?

Open an explorer window and type "shell:sendto" into the address bar. That gets you the directory where all the send to destinations are stored. Put shortcuts there to any folders or apps that you want to appear in the menu.

I don't think you can add a "copy to" menu without 3rd party software. But there is a registry tweak to add a "Copy To..." command that lets you select the destination folder from a file selection box. Details here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-move-to-copy-to-context-menu

BeardFaceMan

Bingo Fury

Just got up this morning to find that my PC isn't communicating with my wireless hub, so I've resorted to an Ethernet cable stretched across the floor of my living room. The hub isn't showing up in the list of networks that pops up when I click on the icon, although other wi-fi networks in the building are. The only thing that's changed since yesterday is that my next door neighbour took delivery of a new Virgin hub yesterday afternoon. Could that be causing interference?

MojoJojo

Yes. Get a WiFi scanner app for your phone, it will show what bands all the wireless networks in the are using.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Bingo Fury on June 28, 2017, 10:42:20 AM
Just got up this morning to find that my PC isn't communicating with my wireless hub, so I've resorted to an Ethernet cable stretched across the floor of my living room. The hub isn't showing up in the list of networks that pops up when I click on the icon, although other wi-fi networks in the building are. The only thing that's changed since yesterday is that my next door neighbour took delivery of a new Virgin hub yesterday afternoon. Could that be causing interference?

Reboot the hub, and then if it still doesn't work (you need to give it a few minutes) it should still let you connect to it with http://192.168.0.1/home.asp (if it doesn't, use your ethernet cable) where you can change what frequency it uses, which should hopefully stop it clashing with your neighbours (assuming that's what's the problem).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think someone is attempting to phish me. I've received an e-mail, purporting to be from Apple, telling me that someone has used my Apple ID to sign in to iCloud and that I should change my password. As far as I can remember though, I don't even have an Apple ID (although it is possible that I signed up to iTunes years ago and subsequently forgot about it). Also, while they obviously have my e-mail address, the name they've used is not mine (and it lacks the wit and panache of any pseudonym that I would normally use).

Any advice?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 04, 2017, 04:57:35 PM
I think someone is attempting to phish me. I've received an e-mail, purporting to be from Apple, telling me that someone has used my Apple ID to sign in to iCloud and that I should change my password. As far as I can remember though, I don't even have an Apple ID (although it is possible that I signed up to iTunes years ago and subsequently forgot about it). Also, while they obviously have my e-mail address, the name they've used is not mine (and it lacks the wit and panache of any pseudonym that I would normally use).

Any advice?

Companies like Apple will have an email address that you can forward such emails to - either do that or just delete it.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 04, 2017, 04:57:35 PM

Any advice?

Don't click any links in the email.  It sounds like you've already identified it as a scam, but if you have an Apple ID/ICloud/whatever and still want to change your password then go to the actual Apple/whatever site itself by typing it's name into your browser - that way you know you're going to the proper site rather than the fake site you might get by clicking something in the email.

One think you can do with suspected scam emails is to paste some of the text from the email into Google and you'll often see the email is already listed in various sites that exist to document scam/phishing emails.

Blumf

Seen exactly the same mail. It's obvious phishing, ignore/junk/etc.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yep. A quick search through my e-mail history revealed no prior messages from Apple, so I deleted it. I should have reported it perhaps, but I couldn't be bothered.

Thanks, everyone.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Turns out that last night I spilt a little bit of wine on my laptop (just a bit on the keyboard and some went underneath between the little rubber pads it rests on. I've wiped it all down with kitchen roll and it doesn't seem to have affected the thing's performance so far, but still, is it actually safe to use it do you think? I mean I'm not worried about electrification or that cause all the keys and everything are plastic, but is there a risk I might set myself on fire / something else bad as a result?

NoSleep

If you're worried about moisture inside, then just leave it for a few days and let anything that might have got inside dry out. You could always open it up to help air it out. And turn it off if you haven't, although, if it's been been functioning as normal since the spill and you didn't turn it off, you probably have nothing to worry about.

In future, if you spill liquid on electronics, it's best to turn it off immediately and let it dry off.

Hat FM

anyone ever had wifi issues with virgin media? every device is connecting to my wifi apart from my laptop which is coming up with some sort of dns error. Something like dns server not responding. i've checked that its not the laptop as it connects to my iphone's internet when i set up a hotspot. fairly baffled.

Zetetic

Yes - I always found that my 'Super Hub' was a terrible router and that it some aspect of it would routinely fall over just through normal operation and I'd have to hard restart it.

I only use it as modem these days - it just passes through to something that can actually do the job properly.

Hat FM

Quote from: Zetetic on August 03, 2017, 11:11:04 PM
Yes - I always found that my 'Super Hub' was a terrible router and that it some aspect of it would routinely fall over just through normal operation and I'd have to hard restart it.

I only use it as modem these days - it just passes through to something that can actually do the job properly.

twas a problem with the range extender apparently for anyone who cares. Anyone...?

Wilbur

What the range extender you failed to mention in the original post ? ;)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Zetetic on August 03, 2017, 11:11:04 PM

Yes, the solution usually is to reboot the Super Hub.  It'll happily continue to work on current devices but new ones aren't recognised until you reboot it.  It's the stereotypical 'turn it off and on again' solution.

MojoJojo

Bit of a random one for work - is there any free FTP cache/proxy type program for Windows around?

I have build PCs in London connected by a relatively slow link and test sims here. What I want is something that appears as a FTP server locally, but actually checks the build PCs for new images and only copies them across the slow link if they've changed - otherwise it uses cached versions from an earlier transfer.

Does that make sense and does it exits?

BeardFaceMan

Has anyone ever bought a replacement power brick for the Xbox One? Can't seem to find an official one and reviews on the others arent any help, these new bricks are supposed to be quieter but reviews say theyre louder than the old standard brick. I don't want to buy some piece of shit brand power brick that will fry my console or stop working after a week of heavy use.

Zetetic

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 12, 2017, 05:03:31 PM
What I want is something that appears as a FTP server locally, but actually checks the build PCs for new images and only copies them across the slow link if they've changed - otherwise it uses cached versions from an earlier transfer.

A transparent caching FTP proxy, I guess.

You might be able to install frox on Windows 10 using the Linux Subsystem?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 12, 2017, 05:03:31 PM
Bit of a random one for work - is there any free FTP cache/proxy type program for Windows around?

I have build PCs in London connected by a relatively slow link and test sims here. What I want is something that appears as a FTP server locally, but actually checks the build PCs for new images and only copies them across the slow link if they've changed - otherwise it uses cached versions from an earlier transfer.

Sounds like you want to use rsync, wasn't it designed with that notion in mind of only updating the file if it's changed and then only sending the differences? Works over ssh.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Zetetic on September 12, 2017, 08:05:30 PM
A transparent caching FTP proxy, I guess.

You might be able to install frox on Windows 10 using the Linux Subsystem?

Thanks - I'm on Windows 7, so I guess frox is out of the question, but it gives me somewhere to start looking.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip link="topic=34820.msg3244332#msg3244332 date=1505246087
Sounds like you want to use rsync, wasn't it designed with that notion in mind of only updating the file if it's changed and then only sending the differences? Works over ssh.

It's not quite the right thing - the sim beds boot from floppies, and always get their images remotely. So an on site cache would be useful.

To about two people in the team - so nothing is going to change in the bootloader.

Zetetic

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 12, 2017, 10:31:01 PM
Thanks - I'm on Windows 7, so I guess frox is out of the question, but it gives me somewhere to start looking.
Worst case, you could run it in a minimal Debian VM, perhaps?

Blumf

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 12, 2017, 10:31:01 PM
It's not quite the right thing - the sim beds boot from floppies, and always get their images remotely. So an on site cache would be useful.

To about two people in the team - so nothing is going to change in the bootloader.

You're being too vague here (What's doing what and where? What resources are available at each end of the slow link? What can you you add?), but the rsync protocol is the solution to the slow net connection part.

Mobius

Silly question time..

My computer's been rebooting itself randomly for about a year. It's a pile of shit with no case, the fans kicked in, and is full of dust and spiders.

Windows died the other day, and I thought my PC was properly dead. I managed to reinstall Windows and now it hasn't crashed in a bit, actually.

I was just about to spend my work bonus on a long overdue new computer but am umming and ahhing now, as if this one is sort of alright again... i'll persevere

What I want to do is 'stress-test' my shit computer. I don't want to mistakenly think it's fixed, spend my bonus on sweets and trainers, and then find myself without a computer.

Can anyone recommend a program or something that'll just shell the fuck out of my computer and see if it reboots/overheats/corrupts or whatever? Like I just want to know 'are you cunted or?' before getting my hopes up or spending unnecessary money or whatever

thank you friends

asids

Quote from: Mobius on September 25, 2017, 04:27:38 AM
Silly question time..

My computer's been rebooting itself randomly for about a year. It's a pile of shit with no case, the fans kicked in, and is full of dust and spiders.

Windows died the other day, and I thought my PC was properly dead. I managed to reinstall Windows and now it hasn't crashed in a bit, actually.

I was just about to spend my work bonus on a long overdue new computer but am umming and ahhing now, as if this one is sort of alright again... i'll persevere

What I want to do is 'stress-test' my shit computer. I don't want to mistakenly think it's fixed, spend my bonus on sweets and trainers, and then find myself without a computer.

Can anyone recommend a program or something that'll just shell the fuck out of my computer and see if it reboots/overheats/corrupts or whatever? Like I just want to know 'are you cunted or?' before getting my hopes up or spending unnecessary money or whatever

thank you friends

Why not just give it a good clean out, put in new fans, and monitor the temperatures when you're using it normally to see if it's reaching too high a level? Because it sounds like it's a heat issue.

FurMark's a good stress test but I'd also recommend Cinebench: https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/ It can stress test both the processor and the graphics card.

asids

Another thing you should try is replacing the thermal paste on the processor. It's not too difficult a process, you can look up tutorials online on how to do it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then you could maybe ask someone who's done that sort of thing before to help out. If it's a heat issue like it sounds then putting some new thermal paste on should help to bring down the temperatures, as well as cleaning the whole thing out of dust and other crap that's built up in there.