Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Pointless Thread

Started by Dead kate moss, February 20, 2013, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Haven't 'Xander and 'Chard known each other since university?

Anyway, Pointless wouldn't be Pointless without the awkward banter.

*new page 200 Club cunt*

Milverton

Quote from: yesitsme on December 14, 2016, 11:42:07 AM
I don't know if it's been said already but I fail to get that there's any real chemistry between yer Xander and yer Osman.  Speaking as someone who's watched it occasionally I always get that Osman doesn't like Xander getting the few laughs he manages and Xander is too slow to come back at Osman when he shuts him down.

Osman could do with a few lessons in 'yes and' and 'not only but also' because I think one day Armstrong's going to tell him to fuck off.

I caught one the other week where the catagory was something like letters.  Osman said something along the lines of 'I've always had you down as a complete W'.  Armstrong half laughed it off but he'd have been well within his rights to go flying at the smug fucker, sending his glasses flying before pinning him up against the wall.  'One more remark like THAT and I'll fucking kill you.  Got it? Pal?'

That would be good to see.

It's the Fry/Davies relationship for tea time clever clog bastards.

I sense from his other media appearances that Osman would try the patience of a saint. Armstrong, however, comes across as a decent chap, even with the Mulligan and O'Hare music career.

I turned over late today, just in time to see the final appearance of the fragrant Alethea. Farewell, sweet princess.

colacentral

Next time Osman makes reference to Armstrong being the lesser half of Armstrong & Miller, Armstrong should churlishly respond "What does that make you?"

Quote from: colacentral on December 14, 2016, 10:22:53 PM
Next time Osman makes reference to Armstrong being the lesser half of Armstrong & Miller, Armstrong should churlishly respond "What does that make you?"

He's Bens Glenn

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Milverton on December 14, 2016, 05:42:58 PM
I sense from his other media appearances that Osman would try the patience of a saint.

This is because he was mean to Clarkson on HIGNFY isn't it?

Quote from: yesitsme on December 14, 2016, 11:42:07 AM
I don't know if it's been said already

Probably. Most things you say have been.

Milverton

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 15, 2016, 01:19:47 PM
This is because he was mean to Clarkson on HIGNFY isn't it?

I don't watch Have I Got News For You? Lefty shit. It wouldn't surprise me to hear Osman was one.

jfjnpxmy

I was on short lived garbage quiz Two Tribes and Mr. Osman was very very nice. Shite handshake, though.

Norton Canes

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Milverton on December 15, 2016, 08:58:42 PM
I don't watch Have I Got News For You? Lefty shit. It wouldn't surprise me to hear Osman was one.

|t wasn't lefty comments though - it was just calling out Clarkson for assaulting people in his place of work. Although to be fair, you probably do think that objecting to workplace violence makes one a lefty.

Serge

It's the 1000th episode on Monday, apparently.

Was staggered in last night's episode when they had the round with forms of transport in french that no-one could guess what a montgolfière was. I mean, I'd never heard the word used in that context before, but it was pretty easy. And what does the contestant think it is? Golf caddy! Fucking golf caddy!

I did get two pointless answers in the final, thanks to my knowledge of Jason Statham films - I was surprised that
Spoiler alert
'Revolver'
[close]
was pointless, I thought somebody would have remembered that, but would have banked on nobody remembering that he has a very small part in
Spoiler alert
'Collateral'
[close]

Gulftastic

Quote from: Serge on January 13, 2017, 04:41:25 PM

I did get two pointless answers in the final, thanks to my knowledge of Jason Statham films - I was surprised that
Spoiler alert
'Revolver'
[close]
was pointless, I thought somebody would have remembered that, but would have banked on nobody remembering that he has a very small part in
Spoiler alert
'Collateral'
[close]

My knowledge of late 80's/early 90's shit action films lead me to get a Pointless with 'No Retreat, No Surrender'.

Gulftastic

Show one thousand, and Trev & Simon are amongs the contestants!

Serge

They
Spoiler alert
won
[close]

I got two pointless answers today - first with the title of the David Mitchell book (to be fair, it's probably my favourite thing he's done), and remembering that Tom Selleck was in 'In And Out' (to be fair, it's probably my favourite thing he's done.)

Gulftastic

Name a country in the Southern Hemisphere that is also a member of the Commonwealth?

Austria?

Dead Soon

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 01, 2017, 05:56:33 PM
Name a country in the Southern Hemisphere that is also a member of the Commonwealth?

Austria?

''Not in the Commonwealth, I'm afraid.''

Gulftastic

Naomi is a doll. She's just got a Pointless answer by guessing that Issy Suttie was in more than 10 episodes of 'Peep Show'. so we have something to talk about.

Serge

Yeah, that Sitcoms round was manna for Verbwhores. I was disputing (in my head) that Jeremy Dyson had appeared in more than 10 episodes of 'League Of Gentlemen' but stap me - he has.

Serge

Did anybody see the Rolling Stones round on this evening's show? The question was 'Name a Rolling Stones UK single with any of the letters 'A', 'N', 'G', 'I' or 'E' in the title. Essentially, any Rolling Stones single.

The first contestant came up with the title 'Gas Gas Gas'. Alexander looked confused. "You know, it goes, 'Jumping Jack Flash is a Gas Gas Gas'" she said. Er.....

The next contestant claimed to be a massive Stones fan, who'd recently been to see 'Exhibitionism', and gave 'Wild Horses' - an album track that was never released as a single - as his answer, and then looked dumbfounded when it scored 100.

The final indignity was the woman who'd never even heard of The Rolling Stones, but had an idea that she'd been on a rollercoaster named after one of their songs called 'Highway To Hell'.

Dr Rock

Serge

I've had quite a good week for getting pointless answers in the final rounds - which is more than most of the contestants have.

One day, one of the categories was to name any character who appeared in five or more episodes of 'Breaking Bad'. I reeled off a host of smaller characters that I guessed might be pointless - i.e. Huell Babineaux, Gretchen Schwartz, etc - only to find that among the pointless answers were such minor characters as Gus Fring, Hank and Marie Schrader and, er, Walter White Jr. In fact, the only characters to score points were Walt, Jesse, Skyler, Saul and Badger.

On another day, you had to name actors who'd appeared in certain Quentin Tarantino movies. Amazingly, Robert Forster was a pointless answer for 'Jackie Brown' (which was lucky for me, as, apart from the obvious ones, I couldn't really name anybody from that film off the top of my head). And then I managed to guess the four Pointless answers from 'Reservoir Dogs' - three of them I thought were quite easy - Lawrence Tierney, Edward Bunker and Steven Wright - but somehow I managed to dredge up the name Kirk Baltz (who played Marvin the cop) from somewhere.

Then today's was made easier by the fact that one of the answers happened to be somewhere I passed through every day for several years when I lived in London. You had to name train stations in London which had either 'Town', 'Street' or 'Road' in their name, and 'Shoreditch High Street' leapt immediately to mind, as I used that station to get to work. Somehow 'Queens Road, Peckham' had lodged in my brain (though not 'Wandsworth Road', which I went past every day for eight years earlier in my London days.)

I'm almost tempted to go on there now, but I'd end up getting some crappy sports question and get nowhere near the final.

By the way, Richard Osman's new quiz, 'House Of Games' is bloody fantastic as well.

Dr Rock

Caught it yesterday - got Paul Rudd as an actor who has been in Friends more than once. Pointless, in the final round.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Serge on September 14, 2017, 10:12:48 PM
By the way, Richard Osman's new quiz, 'House Of Games' is bloody fantastic as well

Yeah, watched the final couple of episodes this week, it's... gently compelling. While not a huge fan of Richard Osman (or a fan of huge Richard Osman) I don't find him especially irritating and I can watch him in almost unlimited doses; and the BBC do seem to be developing shows for him to host that fit well with mine, and his, brand of obsessive nerdism. In fact the round on HoG where they have to guess a song from the initial letters of the words in the chorus - I actually went through a teenage phase of writing down pop song choruses in this fashion... so... yeah, it's uncannily tailored to my predilections.

And look I won't lie, it was also a pleasure ogling Sarah Pascoe.

Serge

I love Sara Pascoe, so I was rooting for her against the giant ball of smug that was Rick Edwards all week. Having said that, I did like how competitive they were compared to Angela Scanlon and Clive Myrie.

With the Broken Karaoke round, I either get them in a second or sit there slack-jawed and unable to think of basic words. I've started watching last week's shows on iPlayer (I only started watching it this week as Glebe was raving about it on FB), and there was one round where I literally got all of them as soon as the letters appeared....'LAV' "Like A Virgin!", 'RR' 'Rebel Rebel!", etc ....so when it appeared last night, I rubbed my hands.....and got about one of them.

But yeah, it's got that nice balance of being just obscure enough to enjoy without being 'Tipping Point' simple. Pretty much like 'Pointless', really!

Oh, one of the contestants on last night's Pointless mentioned Steve Reich, which you don't get very often on teatime quiz shows.

Serge

One of the choices in the final round on 'Pointless Celebrities' this evening was to name any cast member from 'Batman Begins'. Having remembered that Colin Macfarlane was in it, I thought that that would be a great pointless answer, only to find that among the pointless answers they had were Liam Neeson who, er, played the main bad guy and Gary Oldman who played, er, Commissioner Gordon. Poor show from the 100 people there.

One particularly tempting choice that's been coming up in the normal weekly final rounds has been 'Post-Punk Albums', which in my mind means naming tracks from PiL's 'Metal Box', but when somebody finally picks it will probably all be bloody Joy Division.

Serge

The round in this evening's 'Pointless Celebrities' where the contestants had to guess the titles of films based on Richard Osman's drawings of the movies in question was genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Also worth seeing for the bit where the BBC's Arts Expert makes a gag about how it's down to the hard work of other people that he looks so well-informed on TV, only to prove himself right a minute later by completely failing to guess the right name of a pretty well-known composer from a clue that makes it even easier.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

For me, the highlights of tonight's show were Paul Morley bewilderingly making the guess of Joyce Grenfell during that " Pictures Of Celebrities In The 70s" round, and Richard Stilgoe pointing out his own resemblance to Jeremy Corbyn.

Serge

Ha! yes, the Corbyn line did get a laugh from me. I did get Margaret Beckett, but then she is my local MP. Funnily enough, I felt sorry for Morley being lumbered with Nightingale when she only managed to guess the hardly-obscure Michael Caine, but then he trumped it by getting that one wrong, when he could have picked almost any of the others and gone through.

Gurke and Hare

When Street-Porter made some comment along the line of "...not unless I was in drag" I can't have been the only one to have an unkind and unworthy thought, can I?

Gulftastic

Kids TV special tonight.

Craven, Greene on podium one
The bloke who played Johnny Briggs and the woman who played his sister on two
Dick and Dom on three.
Cerrie Burnell and Ben Folks out off of CBeebies on four.

Gulftastic

This Saturday's Celeb edition is a sci fi special, including a couple of HGTTG actors, and both Hollys.