Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Storeys High and Sean Lock

Started by clingfilm portent, July 02, 2013, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_betty

Well, thanks to this thread, I just piled through both TV seasons. Very good - nice and bleak. I enjoyed the off plot vignettes (if that's the word), may favourite being the '
Spoiler alert
downstairs swingers
[close]
'. Thanks again thread!

P.S.

Does anyone know what track is playing when
Spoiler alert
the policeman comes round with the dead swan picture
[close]
?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It's interesting to think how the original ending to the radio version of The Plough, would render it pretty much unbroadcastable these days.

The first half of the plot is essentially the same, but it veers off in its own surreal direction, losing the whole 'Mates with the vicar,' thread...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: black_betty on September 20, 2014, 08:28:22 PM
nice and bleak.
Is it though? The visual style makes it seem like it should be (and apparently the burgers are horrible) but I don't really think of it that way. If anything, I'd say it was quite wacky. The only bit that sticks in my head as being particularly bleak is the pony bloke screaming that he hasn't got a fiver to bribe the RSPCA inspector.

It's almost like a rebuttal to the typical image of tower blocks as urban hellholes.

Ja'moke

It's bleak in style but not in tone. If you had it on mute and were to just watch it from a purely aesthetic point of view then yes, the imagery is quite bleak, the settings very grimy and scummy. But the actual humour and plotting is very silly and surreal. It's a perfect blend really.

Back to favourite guest appearances, one of my favourites is Mark Lamarr (he co-wrote part of the series, right?) as the silver statue busker telling his wife about getting into a fight with a juggler and an American tourist.

"You know Dave from Brentford?"
"I don't know him."
"You do! Dave. Brentford Dave."
"What's he look like?"
"What's he look like?! He has silver...on his face! That's what he looks like."

and of course...

"As I was leaving the station this police officer said "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya". I said "What's that supposed to mean?". He said "It's just an expression". I said "Oh yeah, here's an expression for ya"...elbow to the face. And well, I'm afraid luv, it looks like this time it's going to be custodial."

Blumf

The radio shows have much more light hearted feel to them but the TV version is light and whimsical too, just hidden behind that beautiful grey cinematography, (really, has there been a better filmed sitcom?) I think the TV version is stronger for that contrast. It's kinda like if a Buster Gonad or Terry Fuckwitt story was drawn by the Drunken Bakers guy.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 20, 2014, 11:16:40 PM
"As I was leaving the station this police officer said "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya". I said "What's that supposed to mean?". He said "It's just an expression". I said "Oh yeah, here's an expression for ya"...elbow to the face. And well, I'm afraid luv, it looks like this time it's going to be custodial."
The end part of that quote is great. So downtrodden and sad, after his upbeat description of the violence he dished out.

BritishHobo

I'M TRYING TO MAKE A RELAXATION TAPE!

stunted

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 19, 2014, 07:43:27 PM
Also, the jealous boyfriend (played by Cavan Clerkin, another great undercarder like Trenaman!)'s reaction to drinking swimming pool bleach is incredible. Oh God no that's horrible...oh it's really strong. Like licorice.

Think my favourite moment from that character is when his voice cracks during his delivery of YOU DONT HAVE A CHOICE.

Vince.. instead of trying skimmed milk today,  I think I'm going to paint your bathroom.

stunted

Mr Banlon

BritishHobo

I'm always impressed just how much is packed into every episode. Each episode feels like you're seeing everything the show has to offer, yet there's never any repetition or stale ideas.

emmett85

Quote from: Queneau on July 02, 2013, 09:31:15 PM
15 Minutes of Misery and then 15 Storeys High. I don't have my hard drive with me at the moment otherwise I'd be able to send them your way. If somebody here can't help you, let me know in the next few days and I'll 'sort you out'.

Forget all of that above:

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert
are these available anyway?

Blumf

SimonJT

Quote from: stunted on September 21, 2014, 02:51:22 AM
Spoiler alert
BOYS SO COOL
[close]

I was crying with laughter when I first heard this. Similarly, when he's assigning the band members their roles:

Spoiler alert
"You will be the one that all the poofs love"
"But I'm not gay!"
"Nor am I, but it don't stop 'em licking their lips when I walk down Old Compton Street"
[close]

You can see Serafinowicz completely failing to keep a straight face during that bit.

23 Daves

Quote from: stunted on September 21, 2014, 02:51:22 AM
Spoiler alert
BOYS SO COOL
[close]

I actually walked past a bar in Soho called
Spoiler alert
BAR SO COOL
[close]
last year, and creased up laughing. Either the bar existed before "15 Storeys High" and stayed in Lock's mind as a particularly shit name, or it existed afterwards and was named in honour of the programme. Sadly, I think the former is more likely to be the case than the latter.

Can't find any photos of it online, unfortunately.

Ray Travez

Quote from: black_betty on September 20, 2014, 08:28:22 PM
Does anyone know what track is playing when
Spoiler alert
the policeman comes round with the dead swan picture
[close]
?

It's just guitar and drum machine, a fairly generic rock metal riff with fills. My guess is that it's been made for the show- I think it would cost more to use an existing track. Might be Bill Bailey.

I only just realised that the policeman is Geoffrey McGivern...

jofo

where in Christ buggery can I find the Radio Series?

to purchase, or hire purchase or just fackin' giv it me.

(please)

Paaaaul

Quote from: amnesiac on September 23, 2014, 10:26:57 PM
this guy posted the link earlier
That's just the series of 15 Minutes Of Misery. There were two series of 15 Storeys High that followed this. I'd also be grateful to a link to them cos I think I've accidentally binned the CD I had of them.

BPFHAY

I just don't think people should be naked in their living rooms. That's where you have Christmas.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

The show didn't really have a lot of running jokes, but I always liked Vince's constant annoyance at his neighbour who kept moving his doormat (and we never find out why).

BPFHAY

BECAUSE HE'S ONLY EVER HAD SEX WITH THREE WOMEN, AND IT'S NOT ENOUGH!

BritishHobo

I only just realised that Vince's colleague at the pool is basically the only other recurring character.

BritishHobo

Fucking hell, what a boring observation.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: BPFHAY on September 24, 2014, 01:51:41 AM
BECAUSE HE'S ONLY EVER HAD SEX WITH THREE WOMEN, AND IT'S NOT ENOUGH!

Fucking hell, I've just got that. I thought it was just a throwaway line! That's even better though, what a brilliantly pathetic way of taking out his frustration.

This is another thing I love about the show. It sort of reminds me a bit of Arrested Development in the sense that there are these little plot strands and callbacks that you don't notice until you re-watch the episodes.

Sam

I watched a couple of these when they were first broadcast and couldn't remember them much. On the basis of this thread I've watched The Plough and Blue Rat. The latter is indeed a half hour of comedic perfection. One line not mentioned yet which had me chortling was 'Yeah, I thought the place lacked a woman's touch.'

Ja'moke

"We need to have a word, it's about your Nan."
"It's her teeth, son, they're false."
"Eh?"
"And she's got a built up shoe."
"So?"
"Her tights...they ain't tights. They stop below the knee."

That whole bit is so wonderfully odd.

23 Daves

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on September 24, 2014, 01:49:06 AM
The show didn't really have a lot of running jokes, but I always liked Vince's constant annoyance at his neighbour who kept moving his doormat (and we never find out why).

Have to wonder if that's based on personal experience as well - I live in a block of flats and somebody keeps doing it to mine. I'm constantly straightening the bloody thing every morning. I assume it's the postman or the cleaner, but it could just as easily be a weird neighbour.