Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Has anyone seen "The Evil Within" yet? Sounds like quite the rum do in terms of it being made

It's got it all! Oil! Obsession! Meth! Death!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/14/the-evil-within-horror-movie-andrew-getty-millionaire-meth

NEW PAGE- Michael Berryman's Tinder Profile

ASFTSN

Quote from: Steven on March 29, 2017, 06:40:03 PM

Calvaire (The Ordeal) 2006

French language film about a small-time musician called Marc Stevens doing gigs at old folk's homes gets admired and wanted by a string of lonely old women which he rejects with not just a tad of disgust, on his way to a Christmas show his van breaks down in the woods and he manages to be rescued by a lonely farmer who lets him stay the night and cook him breakfast. He then finds out he will have to stay a while longer as the farmer says the van will take a longer time to fix and regales him with stories of when he was a fellow entertainer in the city as a comedian known as Bartel before his wife left him. Stevens is warned not to go down to the village and starts to realise Bartel's kindliness isn't entirely altruistic and being admired and wanted can't always be rejected in some circumstances like with the old ladies.
Spoiler alert
There's some really creep scenes like when Stevens observes some of the villagers all standing round to ceremonially watch a man fuck a piglet, the Papa Lazarou 'Your My Wife Now' shaving scene and crucifixtion, and the ending is properly an all out mad fuck-fest, cows, buggery and shotguns. And fucking Boris and his search for his 'dog'.
[close]

Loved this the first time I saw it.  Great reversal of the 'captured screaming woman' stereotype.

GeeWhiz

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 11, 2017, 01:02:30 PM
Loved this the first time I saw it.  Great reversal of the 'captured screaming woman' stereotype.

It's a genuinely unsettling film. The final stretch in the bogland becomes rather gorgeous - the sepia tone almost reminded me of Stalker. So, like Tarkovsky with more cow bumming.

Brundle-Fly

There was an ultra-violent, low-budget horror movie thread on CaB about four years ago that I can't remember the title of. I'm trying to track down a particularly disgusting scatological slasher flick that was linked on it. It's my mum's 81st birthday soon and I need to supply entertainment.

Any clues?

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 11, 2017, 11:12:05 PM
There was an ultra-violent, low-budget horror movie thread on CaB about four years ago that I can't remember the title of. I'm trying to track down a particularly disgusting scatological slasher flick that was linked on it. It's my mum's 81st birthday soon and I need to supply entertainment.

Any clues?

Probably neither of these as they're both ages ago, but they might inspire you.
Video Nasties http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24974.0.html
Disturbing Movie Scenes http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1668.0.html

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on April 14, 2017, 11:59:13 AM
Probably neither of these as they're both ages ago, but they might inspire you.
Video Nasties http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24974.0.html
Disturbing Movie Scenes http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1668.0.html

I'll have a look now. Thanks Verger.

Maurice Yeatman

Brundle-Fly

No, it's in none of those threads. I think it was from a very specific thread about five years ago on Deeper In Movies where the tawdry topic of discussion was films that included the representation of human faeces and why that is more shocking than gore.  Somebody posted a completely barmy OTT trailer for this independent extreme horror film where it was this Bad Boy Bubby lunatic creating mayhem and murder which involved him defecating a lot.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 16, 2017, 08:28:06 PM
No, it's in none of those threads. I think it was from a very specific thread about five years ago on Deeper In Movies where the tawdry topic of discussion was films that included the representation of human faeces and why that is more shocking than gore.  Somebody posted a completely barmy OTT trailer for this independent extreme horror film where it was this Bad Boy Bubby lunatic creating mayhem and murder which involved him defecating a lot.

This is my last guess, I promise: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25454.0.html

*syringes brain out*

acrow

wasn't me suggesting crazy murder was it?

i think i've posted the link a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryHXK9XiZM

only just discovered that the one on youtube might be a cut version apparently . probably still quite gruesome though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on December 11, 2015, 09:21:08 PM
I can't remember if this has been mentioned in this thread but I really enjoyed The Final Girls. A bit dopey in places but funny and interesting in others, with some nice camerawork and a sweet ending

I watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. It's got a strong cast including Malin Akerman, Taissa Farmiga, Thomas Middleditch and Alia Shawkat, and the concept is pretty cute too -
Spoiler alert
the daughter of a now dead slasher film star goes to see the film her mother was best known for and when the cinema goes up in flames she and her friends mysteriously end up in the movie.
[close]
It's surprisingly touching at times for a horror comedy, and whilst nothing outstanding it is a very enjoyable film.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: acrow on April 19, 2017, 07:38:36 PM
wasn't me suggesting crazy murder was it?

i think i've posted the link a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryHXK9XiZM

only just discovered that the one on youtube might be a cut version apparently . probably still quite gruesome though.

Ha ha! Yes, that's the abomination, alright. I have been trying to explain the trailer to my gorehound missus for ages but couldn't remember the title. I'm sure it must be cut on YouTube. It makes Street Trash (1987) look like Charlie Chaplin's The Little Tramp (1915).

Cheers acrow, or sicko? ; )

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2017, 02:11:26 AM
I watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. It's got a strong cast including Malin Akerman, Taissa Farmiga, Thomas Middleditch and Alia Shawkat, and the concept is pretty cute too -
Spoiler alert
the daughter of a now dead slasher film star goes to see the film her mother was best known for and when the cinema goes up in flames she and her friends mysteriously end up in the movie.
[close]
It's surprisingly touching at times for a horror comedy, and whilst nothing outstanding it is a very enjoyable film.

I've been tempted by this. After those comments I will watch it and report back

Moribunderast

Just watched The Devil's Candy, the newie by Australian director Sean Byrne (who made the rather good The Loved Ones.) Really enjoyed this film. Short and simple but quite effective and with a strong ending
Spoiler alert
up until maybe the last minute, depending on taste.
[close]
About a family who move into a new house which, unfortunately for them, used to be inhabited by a fella who hears the voice of Satan telling him to do nasties. Fun heavy metal soundtrack with some loudness provided by Sunn O))) for extra grunt. I really like a horror flick like this that doesn't outstay it's welcome - just has an idea, executes it and has the credits rolling after 75 satisfying minutes.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 22, 2017, 01:59:19 PM
Just watched The Devil's Candy, the newie by Australian director Sean Byrne (who made the rather good The Loved Ones.) Really enjoyed this film. Short and simple but quite effective and with a strong ending
Spoiler alert
up until maybe the last minute, depending on taste.
[close]
About a family who move into a new house which, unfortunately for them, used to be inhabited by a fella who hears the voice of Satan telling him to do nasties. Fun heavy metal soundtrack with some loudness provided by Sunn O))) for extra grunt. I really like a horror flick like this that doesn't outstay it's welcome - just has an idea, executes it and has the credits rolling after 75 satisfying minutes.

On my list. That's why I love this thread. Wise opinions

Custard

Finally got round to sticking on Magic (1978) last night

QuoteA ventriloquist is at the mercy of his vicious dummy while he tries to renew a romance with his high school sweetheart.

As good as I'd heard it is, and very disturbing at points. Especially liked
Spoiler alert
him offing his manager. Twice!
[close]

Nice to see that bit that Inside No.9 recently "borrowed", of Hopkins' trying not to talk as or about the dummy for five minutes. A brilliant scene, with
Spoiler alert
a brutal pay-off
[close]

The face on the dummy too. Argggh!

Watched another Dead Of Night episode too, The Exorcism

Oh fuck me, that creeped me the fuck out. Even more than A Woman Sobbing!

Spoiler alert
The sheer blackness outside the windows, and them not being able to get out.
[close]
FUCK THAAAAT

You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFXTNvBLKI

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Brilliant - The Exorcism - absolute would have freaked me out for years if i'd seen that as a child, but pretty effective today

Of course a great almost Shakespearean performance and monologue by the woman and I loved that one of the coppers was still using a magnifying glass to search for clues at the end :)

Custard

Ah, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, I can't stop thinking about it. Really effective

Spoiler alert
Will never watch Clive Swift as Hyacinth Bucket's husband again in quite the same way!
[close]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 23, 2017, 07:11:26 PM
Ah, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, I can't stop thinking about it. Really effective

Spoiler alert
Will never watch Clive Swift as Hyacinth Bucket's husband again in quite the same way!
[close]

He was in a few good things in the 70s, but cant remember what. See also Pauline Quirke in Shadows and Beasts

Frazer

Last Shift A rookie cop's 1st shift in the last night of a closing police station alone turns into a living nightmare. Ignore the low IMDB rating this is a damn fine film, its name was mentioned way back with no description. I watched it last night a couple of days after watching House of the Devil (working my way through this great thread for the umpteenth time) which has a roughly similar premise: substitute a big, old house for a police station. Unlike House of the Devil, Last Shift doesn't piss about for an hour.
Juliana Harkavy plays the main character and does a very good job portraying someone trying to remain in control whilst shit scared.
It gets a Frazer thumbs up.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Frazer on April 24, 2017, 07:41:06 PM
Last Shift A rookie cop's 1st shift in the last night of a closing police station alone turns into a living nightmare. Ignore the low IMDB rating this is a damn fine film, its name was mentioned way back with no description. I watched it last night a couple of days after watching House of the Devil (working my way through this great thread for the umpteenth time) which has a roughly similar premise: substitute a big, old house for a police station. Unlike House of the Devil, Last Shift doesn't piss about for an hour.
Juliana Harkavy plays the main character and does a very good job portraying someone trying to remain in control whilst shit scared.
It gets a Frazer thumbs up.

One of those films that looks shite from the cover art and synopsis but it creeped me out nicely. I'd watch it again despite knowing the ending

Maurice Yeatman

I don't think the Korean film The Wailing has been mentioned yet, sorry if it has. I thought it was going to be a dark comedy at first - bumbling police officer protagonist - but it gradually becomes gripping and compellingly creepy. Best horror I've seen for a while. On Netflix now.

Steven

The Evil Within 2017

I thought this was pretty good and inventive, reminded me of a Horror version of Derek in a way.

Spoiler alert
Though I think the end let it down a bit by the corniness of forcing his captives to watch a stage-play he's devised.
[close]

Howj Begg

Quote from: Steven on April 26, 2017, 02:08:57 PM
The Evil Within 2017

I thought this was pretty good and inventive, reminded me of a Horror version of Derek in a way.

Spoiler alert
Though I think the end let it down a bit by the corniness of forcing his captives to watch a stage-play he's devised.
[close]

Rushmore!

The Wailing... I don't think I understood it at all. I genuinely also don't know if it was any good. For me the best parts involve the shaman.

Junglist

Rings

Can we assimilate all the Hollywood horror big shots into a huge mass and then chuck them off a fucking mountain please thanks.

Howj Begg

ugh DP

Meant to say I don't "get" The Wailing, rather than don't understand it. Anyway.

Krisha was good, though I feel it could have been twice as long and really shown us a lot more.

Get Out was a solid 7/10 film, but I really wish it had gone into far more tasteless territory,
Spoiler alert
shown the controllers controlling the servants,
[close]
and basically been a lot more daring. I still think it's a classic, but that's more down to timing and circumstance. As a film it could have been more... everything, really.

Last Shift was bad, really bad. Jesus fuck what a bad film.

Small Man Big Horse

Don't Blink (2014) - An absolute turd of a film, I only watched it as a close friend insisted as she wanted to make sure she wasn't alone in finding it stupidly nonsensical and annoying, and well, she certainly isn't. It starts off fairly conventionally with a group of friends driving up a resort in the middle of the wilderness, but once they arrive they find it deserted, and all the animals and insects have fucked off too. Then members of the group start disappearing, and they realise that once someone's out of anyone's line of sight they're gone, except for all the times the director fucks up and someone remains. Inevitably everyone starts freaking out and turning on each other,
Spoiler alert
until there's on two left, at which point it becomes clear it should have been named "Don't Keep Your Eyes Closed For A Really Long Time" as the characters blink all but constantly. They also repeatedly say "I've never been this scared in my entire life", presumably in an attempt to ramp up the tension, but boy does it not work. And then in the end law enforcement turn up, including the Doctor from Star Trek Voyager who seems to know what's going on, but then they all disappear leaving just one woman left. The end, the whole thing's never explained.
[close]
On the plus side I imagine it could turn up on Mystery Science Theatre 3000 soon enough as it's an overtly earnest film, and one which has no idea how daft it all is.

Probably the best thing about the whole enterprise is it's imdb trivia page:

Brundle-Fly

(2010)

Picked up this DVD from Poundland recently and it is quite a gritty, surprisingly good low budget horror. Jimmy Nesbitt is excellent in this and the whole thing actually feels like a kitchen sink Jimmy McGovern/ Bill Forsyth type drama.

Some really unsettling moments. Good monster action too. Recommended, if a Trainspotting (1996)/ Night Of The Demon (1957) cocktail appeals?