Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sambob

I watch a lot of horror films and most of them are shit but here's a few I've seen recently that weren't terrible:

End of the Line (2007) Crazy Christians on a broken down underground train try to 'save' people with their knives.

We Go On (2016) Guy who's terrified of death offers money to anyone who can provide proof of the afterlife.

Bug (2006) Sad lady and creepy bloke in a hotel room with a bug infestation.

Get Out (2017) Actually lived up to the hype, genuinely creepy throughout.

Coherence (2013) Not a horror but if you like twilight-zoney films like Triangle then you should check this out. I love this film.

Timecrimes (2007) Spanish timeloop film also fits into the same category as Triangle.

Time Lapse (2014) Another timeloop kind of film, not really a horror but still creepy.

Cube (1997) Pre-Saw Saw-like film, revisited this recently and it's still really good. Bunch of people wake up in a maze of trap-filled rooms.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sambob on April 29, 2017, 11:59:02 AM
I watch a lot of horror films and most of them are shit but here's a few I've seen recently that weren't terrible:

End of the Line (2007) Crazy Christians on a broken down underground train try to 'save' people with their knives.

We Go On (2016) Guy who's terrified of death offers money to anyone who can provide proof of the afterlife.

Bug (2006) Sad lady and creepy bloke in a hotel room with a bug infestation.

Get Out (2017) Actually lived up to the hype, genuinely creepy throughout.

Coherence (2013) Not a horror but if you like twilight-zoney films like Triangle then you should check this out. I love this film.

Timecrimes (2007) Spanish timeloop film also fits into the same category as Triangle.

Time Lapse (2014) Another timeloop kind of film, not really a horror but still creepy.

Cube (1997) Pre-Saw Saw-like film, revisited this recently and it's still really good. Bunch of people wake up in a maze of trap-filled rooms.

Coherence and time crimes are two of the best films ever made IMO. I made a thread about time loop films a while back. Those films haunt me. Do yourself a favour and watch Triangle. It is incredible.

Dr Syntax Head

Oh you mentioned Triangle. Ignore me

Dr Syntax Head

I fucking love Coherence so much. Gonna watch it as soon as Mrs Syntax falls asleep. She's watching that I Zombie thing, it's crap.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Sambob on April 29, 2017, 11:59:02 AM

Good moments, but I thought the baddie's acting in that (no spoilers) was laughably over-the-top.

Steven

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on April 30, 2017, 01:46:15 AM
Good moments, but I thought the baddie's acting in that (no spoilers) was laughably over-the-top.

If you think that was over-the-top baddie acting, try Cube Zero.

BlodwynPig

Just watched Coherence. Really really good. Could have watched an hour more of that and maybe (I don't normally like) a resolution would have been better?

Puce Moment

Yeah, the Cube films are diminishing returns squared - but Vincenzo Natali has fuck-all to do with them. The first Cube was made for virtually nothing. The whole film was filmed in one room that they had to set decorate before every new scene. The acting is ropey, but it's one of the most accomplished micro-budget genre films of recent years.

Frazer

Heidi (2014) a low budget, found footage[nb]Do police forces have a special department to edit all found footage into 90 minute films?[/nb] affair about a creepy doll. If I'd watched it on another night the quality of the acting, dialogue, editing, pacing would've made me hit stop, I'm glad it caught me in the right mood as I enjoyed it and the final reveal was a bit of a 'woah!' moment.
A couple of caveats if you're tempted to watch it:
Spoiler alert
the little girl is either the best actor in the whole film or someone poked her with a stick to get her to cry; there's a short scene during the end credits that is utterly shit and best avoided.
[close]

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 30, 2017, 12:47:47 PM
Just watched Coherence. Really really good. Could have watched an hour more of that and maybe (I don't normally like) a resolution would have been better?

I found it difficult to walk around my house in the dark after that. My greatest fear is the doppelgänger thing. How could you ever win in a fight with yourself? Pure horror.

Steven

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on May 01, 2017, 01:58:53 AM
I found it difficult to walk around my house in the dark after that. My greatest fear is the doppelgänger thing. How could you ever win in a fight with yourself? Pure horror.

Yeah, Face/Off was fucking horrrifying.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 29, 2017, 10:11:19 PM
I fucking love Coherence so much. Gonna watch it as soon as Mrs Syntax falls asleep. She's watching that I Zombie thing, it's crap.

Go watch Predestination mate. You'll probably like it.

ASFTSN

It's not really worth me starting a new thread for this but having watched Carpenter's The Thing about a thousand times, I had the simple joy of watching it with a couple the other day who are not particularly versed in classic horror, hadn't seen it, and didn't really know what it was about. They absolutely fucking loved it, and it just cemented my opinion of it being the perfect horror film.  I was envious of them all the way through.

I particularly enjoyed it when they first saw the dog in the first scene:

Her:  Oh no - does the dog get hurt??
Him:  Come on, I'm sure the dog will be fine.
Her:  (to me) Is that dog in the film a lot?  I love huskies.
Me:  Definitely.  He's one of the stars of the film.  Not even joking.

Oh man, imagine coming to The Thing afresh. Now I envy your friends too.

Such a perfect horror film. Stark and isolated location, straightforward and relentless plot, and utterly bloody terrifying.

The remake was odd in that it wasn't awful but was really bland and competent, which was almost worse. Definitely not fit to lick the original's frost-encrusted boots.

Kane Jones

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 02, 2017, 12:41:03 PM
It's not really worth me starting a new thread for this but having watched Carpenter's The Thing about a thousand times, I had the simple joy of watching it with a couple the other day who are not particularly versed in classic horror, hadn't seen it, and didn't really know what it was about. They absolutely fucking loved it, and it just cemented my opinion of it being the perfect horror film.  I was envious of them all the way through.

I particularly enjoyed it when they first saw the dog in the first scene:

Her:  Oh no - does the dog get hurt??
Him:  Come on, I'm sure the dog will be fine.
Her:  (to me) Is that dog in the film a lot?  I love huskies.
Me:  Definitely.  He's one of the stars of the film.  Not even joking.

Tell her they're Alaskan Malamutes (see my Christmassy avatar). Huskies are from Siberia.

TheWoodenSpoon

The Terminator
Or at least it seemed like one to me as a kid.

Fucking look at it!

Jerzy Bondov

Wife was out last night so I had a double bill of 'fucked up dinner party' movies off of Netflix. Started with Would You Rather? which was a good laugh. Jeffrey Combs gets some people together for a nice dinner and then a series of fucked up games. Jeffrey Combs was brilliant in it and it had a few enjoyably nasty little turns in the games (
Spoiler alert
eg: Sasha Grey has to choose between having her head dunked in some water for 2 minutes or doing a mystery dare, and it turns out the mystery dare is to have her head dunked in some water for 4 minutes
[close]
). Then I watched The Invitation, which was terrific. Logan Marshall-Green was great in it, I loved his reactions to all the hippy dippy stuff near the start and then
Spoiler alert
as things get increasingly dodgy
[close]

Anyway it got me thinking about good 'fucked up dinner party' horror movies. I thought there must be loads but off the top of my head you've got The Perfect Host, The Loved Ones and thread favourite Coherence. Blokey invites them for dinner in The Gift and you've obviously got Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I was thinking more of films based around one dinner. Any tips?

TheWoodenSpoon

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 02, 2017, 02:53:10 PM
Anyway it got me thinking about good 'fucked up dinner party' horror movies. I thought there must be loads but off the top of my head you've got The Perfect Host, The Loved Ones and thread favourite Coherence. Blokey invites them for dinner in The Gift and you've obviously got Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I was thinking more of films based around one dinner. Any tips?
Alien. Sort of. Well alright it's one scene in the entire movie but whatever.

I suppose House on Haunted Hill, but that's just a bit shit overall so I don't think it counts. And there's no actual dinner in it anyway.

This is possibly the worst post I've ever created but I'm going to post it anyway. click

Custard

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 02, 2017, 01:46:12 PM
Oh man, imagine coming to The Thing afresh. Now I envy your friends too.

Such a perfect horror film. Stark and isolated location, straightforward and relentless plot, and utterly bloody terrifying.

The remake was odd in that it wasn't awful but was really bland and competent, which was almost worse. Definitely not fit to lick the original's frost-encrusted boots.

That was a prequel to the Carpenter remake, wasn't it? Albeit with exactly the same plot as the original!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's clearly not a patch on Carpenter's, but it's pretty tense and has some spectacularly disgusting moments. And well, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is an angel

Kane Jones

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 02, 2017, 03:37:04 PM
That was a prequel to the Carpenter remake, wasn't it? Albeit with exactly the same plot as the original!

Indeed it was. It ends with the Malamute/Thing running off into the snow and the two fellas chasing it in the helicopter.

zomgmouse

I was thinking more of films based around one dinner. Any tips?
My Dinner With Andre And Also There's Murders.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 02, 2017, 03:37:04 PM
That was a prequel to the Carpenter remake, wasn't it?

Ah yeah, so it was! Been a while since I've seen it. And you're quite right too, Winstead is lovely.

Steven

A Dark Song 2016

A woman traps herself in a house for months with a brummy occultist to perform a magick ceremony in order to contact her dead son. An odd and claustrophobic film, a bit like being stuck in a lift with Alan Moore.

Sydward Lartle

Cheers to everyone who recommended AM1200. Me and the missus just thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't think I'd have heard of it without this thread.

Edit: turns out this was purlieu. Ta, purlieu!

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Van Dammage on May 02, 2017, 12:35:42 AM
Go watch Predestination mate. You'll probably like it.

I saw that film and yes it was brilliant. I think because I knew where it was going (I had seen the likes of Triangle and Timecrimes at the time)it kind of got ruined. I wish I'd seen it without knowing the time travel angle.

Dr Syntax Head

Wife was out last night so I had a double bill of 'fucked up dinner party' movies off of Netflix. Started with Would You Rather? which was a good laugh. Jeffrey Combs gets some people together for a nice dinner and then a series of fucked up games. Jeffrey Combs was brilliant in it and it had a few enjoyably nasty little turns in the games (
Spoiler alert
eg: Sasha Grey has to choose between having her head dunked in some water for 2 minutes or doing a mystery dare, and it turns out the mystery dare is to have her head dunked in some water for 4 minutes
[close]
). Then I watched The Invitation, which was terrific. Logan Marshall-Green was great in it, I loved his reactions to all the hippy dippy stuff near the start and then
Spoiler alert
[close]

The Invitation is great isn't it?

BlodwynPig

Spoiler alert
[close]
Spoiler alert
[close]

Hannibal? Was it Hannibal or Red Dragon where he skulls the guy?

Junglist

A Dark Song

Tale of a woman hiring a guy to do a ritual so as to contact her dead son. Essentially two people locked in a house throughout, its really well done. Two superb leading performances, enough feeling of uncertainty to make you question the whole thing, which is however left with horror's greatest modern problem in that the ending is weak. Not terrible, just weak. Worth a watch, Steve Oram is superb again.

The Blackcoat's Daughter

Two girls left behind at their boarding school over winter and things go off. Really loved this, Kiernan Shipka is fantastically creepy and the plot is done to perfection in that it doesn't really tell anything, but there's enough there to make it believable. Real good atmosphere throughout.