Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Horror Movies

Started by Hank Venture, August 19, 2013, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Not seen this one mentioned recently The Hallow.

Irish folklore horror which actually worked quite well.  There is something quite nasty about it.  All in all definitely worth a watch as far as horrors go. 
Spoiler alert
There is however a terrible nonsensical decision made in the film which just makes you think they struggled a little but with the plot but nothing too major
[close]

Quite sinister with a bit of gore.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hallow/

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 06, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
Not seen this one mentioned recently The Hallow.

Irish folklore horror which actually worked quite well.  There is something quite nasty about it.  All in all definitely worth a watch as far as horrors go. 
Spoiler alert
There is however a terrible nonsensical decision made in the film which just makes you think they struggled a little but with the plot but nothing too major
[close]

Quite sinister with a bit of gore.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hallow/

Sinister you say? Interest piqued.

Custard

Ravenous (1999)

Saw this recommended on one of Brad Jones' film reviews (Trainspotting 2, I think), as they were talking about great Robert Carlyle performances

He didn't disappoint. He's great in this. Won't say anymore, as wouldn't wanna spoil anything, but he really gets a chance to (ho ho) chew scenery and get stuck in. Prime Begbie with a beard (sort of)

Decent little horror, too

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sambob on April 29, 2017, 11:59:02 AM
Time Lapse (2014) Another timeloop kind of film, not really a horror but still creepy.

I saw this last night and have mixed feelings, some of it is pretty decent and I like the concept, but other parts frustrated. The over sombre score makes it obvious that everything's going to go wrong from the outset, but why they continued to use the dodgy bookie and only bet on dog racing annoyed, if they'd just done the lottery they could have won a fuck load more and never have had to bother with him. Spoiler tags are missing at the mo so I won't say too much more but the ending redeemed it a little bit, but not enough to say that I'm glad that I watched it.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 13, 2017, 05:21:46 PM
Ravenous (1999)

Saw this recommended on one of Brad Jones' film reviews (Trainspotting 2, I think), as they were talking about great Robert Carlyle performances

He didn't disappoint. He's great in this. Won't say anymore, as wouldn't wanna spoil anything, but he really gets a chance to (ho ho) chew scenery and get stuck in. Prime Begbie with a beard (sort of)

Decent little horror, too

I love it too. A lot of sterling performances but Carlyle does stand out. Soundtrack is fantastic too. If not seen it the would recommend and not what you would call conventional either.

Custard

Aye, is a great soundtrack! Gonna hunt it down later

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on May 14, 2017, 11:24:56 PM
I love it too. A lot of sterling performances but Carlyle does stand out. Soundtrack is fantastic too. If not seen it the would recommend and not what you would call conventional either.

Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman isn't it?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2017, 07:27:47 PM
Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman isn't it?

Coincidentally Albarn was in another of Bird's films, Face, where Carlyle is the leading actor. I've not seen it or Ravenous but I'm really really keen to, they look absolutely magnificent.

Junglist

Hounds of Love

Australia does it again. Bleak portrayal of a girl kidnapped and held by an insane couple. Think Snowtown, Wolf Creek and multiple others. Bleak, but a fantastic film within the genre.

Penfold

That reminds me.

I hated The Loved Ones. I've only seen it once and it was the third film in a 10-12 hour marathon but it annoyed me. I've never been a fan of torture stuff or morons so when that moron escaped and climbed a fucking tree I was furious in my seat. It probably wasn't as bad as I think but the tree stuff really fucked me off.

Junglist

Its actually a very dark comedy.

zomgmouse

Last night I watched The Baby. Strangest film I've seen in a while. Just an overwhelmingly weird-ass vibe. Not terribly great but fucking bizarre. And the ending is just outright messed up. I won't tell you what the twist is but knowing that there is a twist won't help you see it coming. Christ. Please watch this.

Quote from: Junglist on May 17, 2017, 04:03:13 PM
Hounds of Love

Australia does it again. Bleak portrayal of a girl kidnapped and held by an insane couple. Think Snowtown, Wolf Creek and multiple others. Bleak, but a fantastic film within the genre.

Ahh I'm looking forward to this. It opens here in about a week (in like one cinema, mind). Where did you see it?

Quote from: Penfold on May 17, 2017, 04:12:01 PM
That reminds me.

I hated The Loved Ones. I've only seen it once and it was the third film in a 10-12 hour marathon but it annoyed me. I've never been a fan of torture stuff or morons so when that moron escaped and climbed a fucking tree I was furious in my seat. It probably wasn't as bad as I think but the tree stuff really fucked me off.
I looooved this film. I found it incredibly gripping and the torture stuff was well earned, it wasn't like it was entirely gratuitous. And I agree with the above "dark comedy" addition though maybe I wouldn't include it in a list of comedies.

Junglist

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 17, 2017, 10:56:50 PM
I'm looking forward to this. It opens here in about a week (in like one cinema, mind). Where did you see it?

I'm a filthy pirate mate.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Junglist on May 18, 2017, 03:30:47 AM
I'm a filthy pirate mate.
Didn't think it had been leaked yet but that's fair enough!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 17, 2017, 10:56:50 PM
Last night I watched The Baby. Strangest film I've seen in a while. Just an overwhelmingly weird-ass vibe. Not terribly great but fucking bizarre. And the ending is just outright messed up. I won't tell you what the twist is but knowing that there is a twist won't help you see it coming. Christ. Please watch this.

I watched this tonight after your recommendation and did enjoy it overall, but it really does sag around the thirty minute point and takes a further thirty minutes to pick up again, and I couldn't help but think it'd be far more effective if edited down to an hour. The ending without doubt gained it an extra bag of popcorn though, I thought I'd predicted the twist but didn't come close.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2017, 12:06:06 AM
I watched this tonight after your recommendation and did enjoy it overall, but it really does sag around the thirty minute point and takes a further thirty minutes to pick up again, and I couldn't help but think it'd be far more effective if edited down to an hour. The ending without doubt gained it an extra bag of popcorn though, I thought I'd predicted the twist but didn't come close.

Yeah it definitely has a bit of a weak middle but there's still stuff to savour like the party and the babysitter. And yeah that ending is a total beautiful strange curveball.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 19, 2017, 03:59:11 PM
Yeah it definitely has a bit of a weak middle but there's still stuff to savour like the party and the babysitter. And yeah that ending is a total beautiful strange curveball.

It was once the party kicked in (and that very strange game of darts!) that I began enjoying it again, I think there were just a few too many scenes before that of Ann hanging around the house playing with Baby, which were admittedly needed but I wish they'd been a bit more interesting. I guess it just frustrates me a little as with a tighter second act, with maybe more of how badly David is treated by the family, and it could have been a real classic.

Junglist

Alleluia

Fabrice Du Welz's (Calvaire) latest. Loosely based on real life duo The Lonely Hearts Killers, its a descent into obsession, tortured love and horror. Not as odd/fucked up as Calvaire but it has some strong scenes, some stunning cinematography in places, and a powerful performance from Lola Dueñas. Not for everyone, but any fan of horror/serial killer cinema, go for it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2017, 07:31:21 PM
It was once the party kicked in (and that very strange game of darts!) that I began enjoying it again, I think there were just a few too many scenes before that of Ann hanging around the house playing with Baby, which were admittedly needed but I wish they'd been a bit more interesting. I guess it just frustrates me a little as with a tighter second act, with maybe more of how badly David is treated by the family, and it could have been a real classic.

Thinking back I'm still surprised by how much the not-as-good sections still managed to be so damn weird.

Rev

Has The Similars cropped up on this thread?

Absolute banger.  Set pointedly in 1968 and bookended with faux Rod Serling narration, it's a chamber piece in which a bunch of characters are stuck in a bus station due to heavy rain.  One by one they start to have seizures and go a bit PS in their appearance. 

It really is a Twilight Zone episode stretched to film length, but is loads of fun. 

Steven

The Belko Experiment 2017

That one with a load of cunts trapped in an office building who are told they have to kill eachother.

Worth a watch, pretty bleak.

Hollow

The Evil Within is good...very twisted visually...one to watch twice as there is a lot of info in the first ten minutes that doesn't make much sense till the end.

I've forgotten my login for my other account so I'll just go back to this one. (that's for Neil should he ever read this)

madhair60

What was that nasty clown movie people were talking about?

Hollow

Quote from: madhair60 on May 22, 2017, 11:49:16 PM
What was that nasty clown movie people were talking about?

Bozo does Dallas.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Steven on May 21, 2017, 12:23:39 AM
The Belko Experiment 2017

That one with a load of cunts trapped in an office building who are told they have to kill eachother.

Worth a watch, pretty bleak.

This is on my list from Toronto's programme last year, glad to know it's worth a watch!

Junglist

Raw

I've not had a reaction to a horror movie like that since Martyrs. Its a far slower burn, building up the situation and the horror. It feels hostile, it feels off. For those wondering, yes there's moments of gore but they are a necessity to the film as a whole. The ending left me open mouthed. The way its about identity and self and belonging, the alienation of university and slowly finding yourself as an outcast.

Will take something special for it not to be my film of the year. I'm expecting a lot of you to hate it, as is the way when I love a horror.

zomgmouse

I loved Raw and started a thread on it but with not many responses. I thought it was amazingly done. Such great manipulation of discomfort both in horror and real terms. Like the skin rash scene. Or even just all the hazing stuff. I definitely had a jaw dropped by the end as well.

Mini

Yes Raw was great, stark European weirdness and queasy vegetarian subtext. It's probably my film of the year so far, and it seems unlikely to budge - either from the top of my list or from my brain, which keeps flashing back to its indelible imagery.

Junglist

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 23, 2017, 11:06:49 PM
I loved Raw and started a thread on it but with not many responses. I thought it was amazingly done. Such great manipulation of discomfort both in horror and real terms. Like the skin rash scene. Or even just all the hazing stuff. I definitely had a jaw dropped by the end as well.

I just checked that thread, agreed with your thoughts. Its got some clear spoilers though due to the forum reverting back :(