Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter (new Jon Glaser/PFFR pilot)

Started by Petey Pate, May 09, 2014, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: http://adultswimcentral.com/2014/05/08/pre-upfront-news-swim-greenlights-pilot-for-neon-joe-werewolf-hunter/With Adult Swim's Upfront Presentation coming on May 20th, little bits of news have begun to trickle in beforehand. Today, Variety announced a new pilot by "Delocated's" Jon Glaser. If you're a fan of Glaser or "Delocated," you're in for a treat with "Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter." Here's a synopsis:

The show's hero is Neon Joe, someone with a mysterious past and a craft that comes in handy when a sudden plague of inexplicable werewolf fatalities strikes, leaving the sheriff's department of the pretend sleepy enclave of Garrity, Vermont (aka "B&B Town, USA!") at a loss and the townspeople fearing for their lives. Will he catch the beast before the next full moon, or will it live another day and kill again?

The pilot was created by Glaser and co-stars Paul Rudd (who if you remember was killed in the pilot to "Delocated") as well as Steve Cirbus (who played Sergei Mirminsky on "Delocated"). PFFR returns as producers.

Exciting news.  Pleased to see that Cirbus will be working with Glaser again.  Given who's involved I have high expectations even if the premise as described above seems a little trite and dumb.  That said, you never know what to really expect with PFFR; if it's anything like Delocated it will go in a completely different direction.

I heard an interview with him, like, a year ago or something where he mentioned this, but I literally just thought it was a bit. Definitely down to see some more Jon Glaser.

Tiny Poster

Yeah, I thought this was a throwaway gag for a Conan appearance.

I bet Paul Rudd gets killed off in the pilot.

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 09, 2014, 09:41:57 AM
Exciting news.  Pleased to see that Cirbus will be working with Glaser again.  Given who's involved I have high expectations even if the premise as described above seems a little trite and dumb.  That said, you never know what to really expect with PFFR; if it's anything like Delocated it will go in a completely different direction.

Absolutely, the premise for Delocated barely survived the first episode. Too very pleased Cirbus is involved.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Tiny Poster on May 09, 2014, 12:29:39 PM
Yeah, I thought this was a throwaway gag for a Conan appearance.

I bet Paul Rudd gets killed off in the pilot.
And goes back on Conan to show a clip of it.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There's more than that...

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/adult-swims-2014-2015-slate-includes-pilots-from-daniel-stessen-john-krasinski-and-jon-glaser/

A Triumph the Insult Comic Dog spin-off co-starring Jack McBrayer and involving both Robert Smigel and Michael Koman (Eagleheart), with some similarities to Lookwell!:

QuoteUNTITLED TRIUMPH/MCBRAYER SITCOM – Jack (McBrayer) is a former child star of a popular Lassie-type series that ran in the '80s and '90s. After it was cancelled, his crude but beloved co-star (Triumph) spiraled into decadence and got Jack in trouble with him. 15 years later, with Jack finally self-sufficient, happy, and away from show business, Triumph finds his way back into Jack's life. This new half-hour live-action comedy series is created by Robert Smigel (SNL, TV Funhouse, Conan), Michael Koman (Eagleheart, Nathan For You) and David Feldman (Real Time, Dennis Miller Live), starring Emmy®-nominee Jack McBrayer (30 Rock) and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (Conan), produced by Poochie Doochie Productions and Universal Television.

A one hour Venture Bros. special (I guess it was the intended finale that was cut from the fifth season due to time constraints)

The return of The Eric André Show, Hot Package, The Heart, She Holler and Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

Nothing on NTSF:SD:SUV:: or Eagleheart so far.

Petey Pate

Children's Hospital, China, Il and Rick and Morty are coming back too - and Tim & Eric: Bedtime Stories has been picked up for a full series, but these were all announced beforehand so not exactly news.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 09, 2014, 02:52:08 PMYour Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

I haven't seen any of this but it did strike me that the premise seems to be exactly the same as Sammy Davis Jr.'s ill failed Satanic TV pilot from 1973, which itself is basically an inverse It's A Wonderful Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4okTJpE1k

http://www.vice.com/read/sammy-devil-jr-v15n5

Ant Farm Keyboard

I saw the pilot and it is awful, a high concept with continual shifts in tone and photography that makes it exhausting to follow. I just posted it as a reminder that Adult Swim tends to renew some very crappy shows next to the good ones.

I keep thinking about this today, I actually think I'm properly excited for this. It's rare I feel excitement.
Or just emotions in general.

alan nagsworth

Hahaaaa yes! Looks great, and as previously mentioned I'm sure it'll branch out further than the trailer implies, although maybe not considering it's only five episodes long. Still though, more Glaser is nothing if not hella exciting for me. Can't wait.

Small Man Big Horse

The trailer looks great to me, idiotically silly with a great cast, and I can't wait to see the mini-series now.

prwc

Glaser was interviewed on Fallon about this last week.

Also, amazingly it seems this won't be the only upcoming Glaser/PFFR collaboration.

Though both these shows sound very limited premise wise, the same could be said for Delocated and that's one of the all time greats.

I'm very excited. Especially that PFFR are active.
I loved watching Heart, She Holler on here as it felt like the only place on the internet where fuckers were talking about it, albeit 4 of us.

Surely this will be a bit more palatable and get some more butts on seats.

Jon Glaser's a bit weird in interviews isn't he? Always feels oddly genuine but humourless in a surprisingly offputting kinda way.

Don't get me wrong! I love the bloke and he's excellent in character. That trailer has me very pleased.

veletision

Quote from: Bored of Canada on November 24, 2015, 08:31:39 AM

Jon Glaser's a bit weird in interviews isn't he? Always feels oddly genuine but humourless in a surprisingly offputting kinda way.

Yeah he can be but Fallon is such a shitty interviewer. His Conan interviews are better, maybe cause he worked there.

ThickAndCreamy

I am so fucking pumped that PFFR and Jon Glaser are back. Anything PFFR touches turns into dirty gold and the concept of Neon Joe is ridiculous enough to make me quiver in excitement.

IT'S FUCKING PFFR!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: veletision on November 24, 2015, 11:45:44 PM
Yeah he can be but Fallon is such a shitty interviewer. His Conan interviews are better, maybe cause he worked there.
I like that Fallon even had him on. Some of his bits on Conan are amazing, though.

First episode here.
Although be warned, they've deliberately stuck a shit filter over it for a laff.

I really enjoyed that. Very silly and laughed a lot. Will watch it again with my housemate when a not shit version is out.

garbed_attic

That was a lot of fun! You can tell that Glaser really loves playing the character he's created!

Doesn't have the dense punning of PFFR-written stuff (well there were a couple of lines that probably came from one of them) but then again it also felt less openly contemptuous of rural/ middle-state(?) America, which was... kind... of nice? Like, it felt a lot warmer to me than, say, The Heart She Holler or Wonder Showzen (but that wouldn't really be hard!)

I like how it looked a lot more like Buffy than True Brood, also. 90stastic! I'm hoping for a Goosebumps 'Werewolf of Fever Swamp' reference!!

garbed_attic

Also, I'm going to be controversial and say that I loved the cheap filter :p

(no really, it suited the show. made it all the more spoopy)

I think PFFR has gone on record numerous times saying that these are more Jon Glaser's baby. They facilitate it and help him make it but they're more a Jon Glaser joint than PFFR. It was a lot like Delocated but more immediately jokey than that was.

The trailer spoiled it but the doctor's delivery of
Spoiler alert
"A Human Medical Facility is no place to decide the fate of a woooolf baby"
[close]
is brilliant.

Petey Pate

QDRPHNC

NoSleep

NoSleep

Did they watch Extras and decide to take the piss by Paul Rudd spouting Jon-esque dialogue for his part?

NoSleep

The episode was great, by the way. Somewhere between Delocated & Eagleheart in spirit.