Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:10:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter (new Jon Glaser/PFFR pilot)

Started by Petey Pate, May 09, 2014, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prwc

Yep, lots of fun. Eagleheart meets Delocated is pretty spot on, there's a nice dash of the horror elements from The Heart She Holler too. I still can't get used to seeing Steve Cirbus not talking in a dubious Russian accent.

Biggest laugh for me was was the completely unnecessary
Spoiler alert
drag race
[close]
. Good to see some classic PFFR absurd word play and Glaser obnoxious in full force too. Excited for the rest.

Swoz_MK

Arrrrggghhh. Advice on watching this via nefarious methods would be greatly appreciated.

mook

selectivememory

First couple of episodes are fantastic. Great to have a new Glaser sitcom!

MojoJojo

I'm confused - is there actually a new episode, or have they just released the first episode without the shitty filter?

selectivememory

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 09, 2015, 09:10:56 PM
I'm confused - is there actually a new episode, or have they just released the first episode without the shitty filter?

They're being broadcast (without a shitty filter) every night this week. I've found two so far on a well-known torrent site.

MojoJojo

Ah right. I followed mook's link because I couldn't be arsed with torrenting tonight. I assume mook is just being sponsored.

NoSleep

alan nagsworth

Man, this is great! The second episode is especially good, classic Glaser wordplay, really nicely shot and produced, and the ruthless killing that we came to know and love from Delocated.

Both Glaser and PFFR have nailed that fluidity of events throughout each episode too, whereby so much absurd stuff happens through the episode but it's paced rather hypnotically until you feel like you've been sucked into this skewed reality of theirs. I always become very much engrossed and transfixed to stuff like Delocated, Xavier and The Heart, She Holler whenever I watch it. The kind of strangeness you just can't keep your eyes off.

Anyway, yeah, very funny stuff. I liked the Paul Rudd callback, especially the bit afterwards where the blonde lass mentions her favourite film of his.

Petey Pate

Yeah this has been very good so far.  Proper cartoonish/Mel Brooks-esque humour combined with dark and twisted horror elements. It does feel like a more accessible version of The Heart, She Holler at times which isn't a bad thing. 

Also have the feeling that many lines in this will end up in the 'Quotes you want to integrate into everyday life but no fucker gets it' thread.

"That's quite a coincidink don't ya thinkydink?"

NoSleep

"I'd say that forbidden fruit's about to get whole lot more-bitten."

alan nagsworth

"You think I'd ever let you kiss my lip? Not by the shade of my tippy tip tip."

Petey Pate

Might have to session this one day and drink a shot after every "he-yump".

Obel

The sheriff reading the "Hel" text and excitedly deciding that's how "heeeuh!" is spelt is one of my favourite moments in comedy for ages!

Petey Pate

It appears on screen in the last episode spelt as "he-yump".

Anyone else notice Jon Glaser very nearly corpsing after "California he-yump"?

alan nagsworth

Anyone watched all five episodes yet, then? I'm getting on it after work tonight.

Thursday

They all been broadcast now then? I'm going to them all in one-sitting probably, which also means I'll try to download them all at the same time.

NoSleep

Don't wait to download them too long, these aren't heavily swarmed by any means.

Petey Pate

I felt that it could have been longer than just five episodes.  Was a lot of fun but parts of the story felt a bit rushed.  Still very funny a lot of the time though.  Not really as dense or subversive as other PFFR productions but as a gloriously stupid comedy it hit the nail pretty hard. 

Maybe they overdid the "he-yumps" a bit, although that hasn't stopped me from saying it myself at every opportunity.

Duckula

Did anyone notice that the reggae music in episode 4 was the same music used in a certain Limmy's Show sketch?

alan nagsworth

Haha that reggae music is amazing. I can't remember what it's caled but it's a royalty-free tune that has cropped up in a couple of other places too, always makes me laugh.

prwc

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 14, 2015, 11:00:40 AM
I felt that it could have been longer than just five episodes.  Was a lot of fun but parts of the story felt a bit rushed.  Still very funny a lot of the time though.  Not really as dense or subversive as other PFFR productions but as a gloriously stupid comedy it hit the nail pretty hard.

Agreed it could've been longer and denser, but for a show that originated from a throwaway talk show gag that might be demanding too much. Still an absolute treat overall though, as expected. Imaginative and big on the dumb laughs.

Repeater

Can't get over how similar it was to Xavier. The language, the body movement (Adist in particular), the weird sexuality, the similar themes of fatherhood & being at odds with God.  Genuine genius.

NoSleep

I would have said The Heart, She Holler was the natural successor to Xavier rather than this. There are similarities, but this series is clearly Jon Glaser's project (albeit with assistance from PFFR) as was Delocated. Not that I don't see what you mean, but The Heart, She Holler was much more in the vein of Xavier (they even reincarnated his voice for one episode).

NoSleep

Talking about PFFR themes, what is their obsession with food about? No grinders this season, but plenty of lasagne & chowder, pizzas, fruit and alcoholic cocktails (and jelly) to make up for it.