Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Asian movies

Started by popcorn, June 12, 2014, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

This thread is about Asian cinema, but I want to start it by talking about a Japanese film in particular, Linda Linda Linda, from 2005. Linda Linda Linda is one of my very favourite films, because it combines three of my very favourite things: movies about high school, movies about bands, and Japan. It's about four teenage girls who form a band to play at their school show.

I know, I know, Japanese schoolgirls, here come the upskirts and nosebleeds - but look, honestly, it's not like that. It's completely real and gentle and funny and sweet, with no pantsu action to speak of, not even in the reflection of puddle or anything. It's by far the most realistic band movie I've seen, particularly for a film about teenagers still learning their craft. The actors all played their own instruments (in fact the bassist is the real-life bassist of the pleasingly named J-rock band Base Ball Bear), and it really feels like you're in the room with them when they rehearse. I love the attention to detail: the drummer practising drum patterns on her legs, sitting on the bus, for example; you never see that kind of thing in movies about bands. It's unglamorous, with no suggestion of "making the bigtime" or anything, but it also captures how weirdly easy it is to be in a high school band - the simple pleasure of playing sloppy punk songs and not caring particularly about the accuracy of your fingers on the fretboard, because your mates are shite too.

Linda Linda Linda also has something I really love about a lot of Asian movies: it's kind of boring and nothing really happens, but in a really lovely way. When I was a teenager, I had that naive nerd fantasy of Japan being a cool place to visit, but what I really miss about the place now isn't the arcade games or futuristic toilets but the physical feeling of sitting in a backstreet cafe on a sunny afternoon in Harajuku, or being caught in the rain in the countryside outside Kyoto, or the jingle on the Shibuya station platform, or whatever. For me, a big part of Japanese movies like Linda Linda Linda is how they can capture that sense of place.

The music rules too. The film's version of the title song, a cover of a 1980s punk song I'd never heard before but is evidently super-famous in Japan, was released as a single.

Has anyone else seen this movie? Or any other interesting Asian movies?

Van Dammage

Korean movies of the last 15 years or so have been consistently amazing. Another great High school movie is Once Upon A Time In High School. I could go on for hours about asian cinema but i'm in a rush at the moment. I'll be back later with a list of epics.

Urinal Cake

On the theme of 'Asian High school Films' I would like to recommend All about Lily Chou-Chou which is not a happy film but is in it's own way beautiful. It deals with what were contemporary/near future issues in Japan but now looking back quite prescient to the rest of the world especially regarding the Internet and the value of 'art'. Warning contains
Spoiler alert
rape, suicide
[close]

maett

Quote from: popcorn on June 12, 2014, 09:42:24 PM
This thread is about Asian cinema, but I want to start it by talking about a Japanese film in particular, Linda Linda Linda, from 2005. Linda Linda Linda is one of my very favourite films, because it combines three of my very favourite things: movies about high school, movies about bands, and Japan. It's about four teenage girls who form a band to play at their school show.

The singer is godlike Korean actress Bae Doo-na. She's in a few good Korean films, my favourite being Barking Dogs Don't Bite. For some reason she's far more popular with directors outside of Korea. I've met her twice and she signed my copy of the Linda, Linda, Linda soundtrack, told her to come to London and gave her my email address, she never wrote...but the ball's still in her court. Though I hear she's hooked up with Jim Sturgess now, should have been me, should have been me. 

popcorn

I've seen Lily Cho-Chou. It was a little bit too dull to me, but I really, really really love the soundtrack by Salyu. Proper lovely dreamy sad J-pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXuT7ojYHAk

popcorn

Quote from: maett on June 12, 2014, 11:11:20 PM
The singer is godlike Korean actress Bae Doo-na. She's in a few good Korean films, my favourite being Barking Dogs Don't Bite. For some reason she's far more popular with directors outside of Korea. I've met her twice and she signed my copy of the Linda, Linda, Linda soundtrack, told her to come to London and gave her my email address, she never wrote...but the ball's still in her court. Though I hear she's hooked up with Jim Sturgess now, should have been me, should have been me.

Yeah, she's like Korea's only actress, as far as the world's concerned. She is indeed great and very adorable. She's also in one of my other favourite movies, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (also by far my favourite Park Chan-wook movie, aka the Oldboy guy). First time I saw Linda Linda Linda I didn't realise her Japanese was pretty rubbish and I just thought she was supposed to be a bit slow.

I'm jealous you met her, and have a Linda Linda Linda soundtrack. Story?

Mr_Simnock

Are we considering Pakistani and Indian films too?

popcorn

Another film by the guy who did Lily Chou-Chou (Shunji Iwai): Hana and Alice. Considering it was allegedly based on characters created for a series of Kit-Kat ads (??), I was impressed at how sophisticated this was. Shots like this are basically what I like about Asian movies:

popcorn

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 12, 2014, 11:53:21 PM
Are we considering Pakistani and Indian films too?

Who cares? Post em. I don't think I've seen a single Pakistani or Indian film. What should I see?

Urinal Cake

Quote from: popcorn on June 12, 2014, 11:20:41 PM
I've seen Lily Cho-Chou. It was a little bit too dull to me, but I really, really really love the soundtrack by Salyu. Proper lovely dreamy sad J-pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXuT7ojYHAk
I think you need the dull bits otherwise the movie would be too sensationalist or melodramatic. They serve to reinforce the idea that the characters are 'trapped' in a wider socio-economic web and then when the 'action' comes serve to punctuate their brutality.

Van Dammage

Quote from: maett on June 12, 2014, 11:11:20 PM
Barking Dogs Don't Bite.

What a film. Joon-ho Bong is a legend.
Also, you lucky bastard.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: popcorn on June 12, 2014, 11:55:18 PM
Who cares? Post em. I don't think I've seen a single Pakistani or Indian film. What should I see?
Pyaasa. It's not dull and it not full on Bollywood though it has song/dance numbers it fits into the narrative.

El Unicornio, mang

Like Someone In Love is a really great little Japanese drama from 2012. Some nice visuals, terrific acting, and doesn't give any easy answers or a neat resolution.

I'm also a fan of Korea's Na Hong-jin's last two thrillers, The Yellow Sea and The Chaser. The latter particularly got my heart racing with plenty of twists.

Van Dammage

The chaser was quality. A nice twisty serial killer movie. Yun-seok Kim was great in it.   
I really want to see The Yellow Sea.

Moribunderast

Huge fan of South Korean movies of the last twenty or so years. Joon-Ho Bong, Kim Jee-Woon and Chan Wook Park are quite well known but they reliably churn out good-to-great films. Bong, in particular, would run close to being my favourite working director.

Bedevilled is a very fine recent film - quite grisly but gorgeously filmed and has some great performances. Absolutely loved Kim Jee-Woon's I Saw The Devil. Runs close to Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance as my favourite Korean revenge film.

Confessions was a very interesting Japanese film. I genuinely couldn't tell whether I loved or hated it, due to it's incessant nihilism and relentless nastiness. It looks beautiful and affected me more than most films but I certainly didn't like the way it made me feel. Still, I'd recommend it to people, purely because I don't like to suffer alone.

Van Dammage

Have to mention that Kang Ho Song is probably my favourite actor. Great in every role. Also, no one makes a suit look as good as Byung Hun Lee does.
I'm gonna drop a massive list in here tomorrow. But for now I'll leave you with a movie i saw 5 minutes ago. It's called "A Company Man". It's a stylish South Korean action film and it's the director's first movie. Worth a look if you can find it. Follows a guy who works as a hitman in. It's called the company man because a legit company is the cover for a massive Assassination organisation. Fun movie.

great_badir

Not too sold on the Korean new wave, and the modern Japanese horror industry seems to be the same film over and over again.

But, I'm a big fan of Takeshi Kitano's stuff (particularly his thrillers - Violent Cop and Hana-Bi are amazing), and also 80s/early 90s Hong Kong cinema (Tarantino can cunt right off).

Incidentally, I was watching Maximum Risk the other night, for the first time since it came out, and I'd forgotten it was a Ringo Lam film.  The same Ringo Lam who did the On Fire films.  It's like two different people behind the camera.

Van Dammage

The Vengeance trilogy. Park Chan Wook being epic.
Joint Security Area, Park Chan Wook again being epic with Kang Ho Song and Byung Hun Lee.
Anything by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Mainly Pulse and Cure.
My Sassy Girl. One of my favourite movies and probably my favourite comedy movie, and i usually hate rom coms.
A Bittersweet Life. Great Kim Jee Woon movie with Byung Hun Lee. Amazing fight scene in the middle.
Anything from Takashi Miike.
Most of John Woo's HK stuff.
Castaway On The Moon. Another Amazing South Korean Rom Com.
Eureka. Awesome 3 hour drama movie from Shinji Aoyama. Koji Yakusho is great in it and Eihi Shiina makes a small appearance.
Gonin. Odd Japanese heist film directed by Takashi Ishii. Takeshi Kitano has a small role as a gay hitman.
Once Upon A Time In High School. Korean High School movie set in the 70's. Great soundtrack.
Memento Mori. Korean Horror/Drama set in a girls high school. Some lesbians but there's more to it than that.
Noroi : The Curse. Best found footage movie i've seen. Japanese horror.
Fish Story. Comedy / Drama about a punk song that can save the world. Great soundtrack.
The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck, And God In A Coin Locker. Same director as fish story. Again a great soundtrack. The whole movie is built around a Bob Dylan song.
Onibaba and Kuroneko. 2 excellent 60's horror movies directed by Kaneto Shindo.
Anything from Seijun Suzuki. (Even Pistol Opera).
Hara Kiri. Amazing samurai movie from Masaki Kobayashi.
Shinjuku Incident. Serious crime drama movie from Jackie Chan. Show's some dramatic acting from Chan and more realistic fights.
Ringu.
Shutter. Great Thai horror movie.
Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, The Protector. Amazing Thai Martial arts films.
Memories of Murder. One of the best serial killer movies I've seen. Kang Ho Song again.
Mad Detective. Detective movie from Johnny To. Said detective is a bit mad and can see peoples "Other Personalities".
Revenge : A Love Story. Gritty and violent revenge movie with a good story and some iffy cgi.
Marebito. Takashi Shimizu's most overlooked and underrated film. Very slow paced.
Evil Dead Trap. Japanese horror movie. essentially a mix of body horror movies, slashers and giallo's.
Made In Hong Kong. Crime drama set in HK, directed by Fruit Chan. Fairly depressing.
Anything from the Pang brothers.
Anything from Shinya Tsukamoto.
Public Enemy. Korean serial killer movie with a protaganist similar to Dirty Harry. Some great dark humour.
Death by Hanging. Japanese comedy about a guy that doesn't die after being hanged.
The Foul King. Funny slapstick comedy movie where Kang Ho Song becomes a wrestler.
Beast Cops. HK Crime Thriller with Anthony Wong. More realistic than the John Woo sort of movies.
Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Remade as The Departed.
Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Donnie Yen martial arts movies. All are pretty good.
Ricky-Oh. Hilarious over the top martial arts movie with people getting guts ripped out and what not.
The Man From Nowhere. Solid Korean thriller movie.
The Good, The Bad , The Weird. excellent western parody/homage with Byung Hun Lee and Kang Ho Song.
Secret Reunion. Korean Spy Thriller with Kang Ho Song. Some good action and comedy.
A Brand New Life. Korean drama movie about a little girl who has to live in an orphanage after her father leaves her.
City Of Violence. Great Action movie.
Off the top of my head...

billtheburger

For South Korean cinema, I like Kim Ki-Duk's Spring summer autumn winter and spring , 3-Iron & The Bow.

For Indian cinema I love Lagaan even though it's a three hour long musical period drama about cricket.
&
Amar, Akbar, Anthony
From bartman9 on IMDB:
Having just been released from prison, a chauffeur who took the rap for a driving-accident by his boss, finds his children living in poverty and his wife having tuberculosis. He goes to his gangster-boss to demand the pay he was promised but is rebuffed. In a rage, he shoots at the boss, but he's wearing a bullet-proof vest. The chauffeur makes a getaway with one of the gangster's cars, not knowing that the car is loaded with gold. He runs home, where he finds that his wife has gone to commit suicide. On the run for the gangsters, he leaves his three children at a park ordering them to stay put and drives off, with the gangsters in hot pursuit. In the ensuing car chase, his vehicle is run off the road and explodes. With both gangsters and police believing him dead, he discovers the gold and runs away. Meanwhile, the wife, instead of offing herself, is struck by a falling tree branch and loses her sight. The kids in the park get separated and one's adopted by a Muslim, one by a Hindu police officer and one by a Catholic priest. Years later, when they've grown up, the three of them meet again donating blood to save the life of the woman they don't know is their mother. AND ALL THAT IS JUST THE PRE-CREDIT SEQUENCE!!!

Van Dammage

Quote from: billtheburger on June 13, 2014, 02:22:13 PM
For South Korean cinema, I like Kim Ki-Duk's

Ki Duk Kim is an amazing director.

billtheburger

South Korea was the most innovative and original country in the noughties in film making and I went through a spell of watching quite a few, but the majority, except The Good The Bad and The Weird, are so very bleak. It's almost as though the baddies have to win.

Van Dammage

Yeah, they make very dark and depressing movies. My Sassy girl, GBW, and Castaway on the moon being some exceptions.
Their TV shows are bleak too. Iris has such an unbelievably depressing ending.

popcorn

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 13, 2014, 12:37:13 AM
Like Someone In Love is a really great little Japanese drama from 2012. Some nice visuals, terrific acting, and doesn't give any easy answers or a neat resolution.

Just watched this and enjoyed it. Very clean and focused, which I like. Ending is effective but sudden to the point of being comedic.

When I was living in China, I hoovered all this stuff up and it's something I truly miss back here because I never get chance to sit down and watch a film on my own. My missus can't be doing with them, I think it's partly a pace thing, and as expressed very well up there, the longueurs are kind of the best bits, they're the parts I now miss, the pleasant normality. The opening to Whisper of the Heart is one of my favourite things in film, the strains of Country Roads over people commuting from work, the hustle and bustle of pedestrian crossings and the steam off a dumpling. It's like a beautiful momentary glimpse of what living in the moment can be like, shorn of the frustration of feeling in the thick of all that, without anywhere to go, you can soak up all the details and atmosphere.

Sam

Quote from: Van Dammage on June 13, 2014, 01:18:43 PM
The Vengeance trilogy. Park Chan Wook being epic.
Joint Security Area, Park Chan Wook again being epic with Kang Ho Song and Byung Hun Lee.
Anything by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Mainly Pulse and Cure.
My Sassy Girl. One of my favourite movies and probably my favourite comedy movie, and i usually hate rom coms.
A Bittersweet Life. Great Kim Jee Woon movie with Byung Hun Lee. Amazing fight scene in the middle.
Anything from Takashi Miike.
Most of John Woo's HK stuff.
Castaway On The Moon. Another Amazing South Korean Rom Com.
Eureka. Awesome 3 hour drama movie from Shinji Aoyama. Koji Yakusho is great in it and Eihi Shiina makes a small appearance.
Gonin. Odd Japanese heist film directed by Takashi Ishii. Takeshi Kitano has a small role as a gay hitman.
Once Upon A Time In High School. Korean High School movie set in the 70's. Great soundtrack.
Memento Mori. Korean Horror/Drama set in a girls high school. Some lesbians but there's more to it than that.
Noroi : The Curse. Best found footage movie i've seen. Japanese horror.
Fish Story. Comedy / Drama about a punk song that can save the world. Great soundtrack.
The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck, And God In A Coin Locker. Same director as fish story. Again a great soundtrack. The whole movie is built around a Bob Dylan song.
Onibaba and Kuroneko. 2 excellent 60's horror movies directed by Kaneto Shindo.
Anything from Seijun Suzuki. (Even Pistol Opera).
Hara Kiri. Amazing samurai movie from Masaki Kobayashi.
Shinjuku Incident. Serious crime drama movie from Jackie Chan. Show's some dramatic acting from Chan and more realistic fights.
Ringu.
Shutter. Great Thai horror movie.
Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, The Protector. Amazing Thai Martial arts films.
Memories of Murder. One of the best serial killer movies I've seen. Kang Ho Song again.
Mad Detective. Detective movie from Johnny To. Said detective is a bit mad and can see peoples "Other Personalities".
Revenge : A Love Story. Gritty and violent revenge movie with a good story and some iffy cgi.
Marebito. Takashi Shimizu's most overlooked and underrated film. Very slow paced.
Evil Dead Trap. Japanese horror movie. essentially a mix of body horror movies, slashers and giallo's.
Made In Hong Kong. Crime drama set in HK, directed by Fruit Chan. Fairly depressing.
Anything from the Pang brothers.
Anything from Shinya Tsukamoto.
Public Enemy. Korean serial killer movie with a protaganist similar to Dirty Harry. Some great dark humour.
Death by Hanging. Japanese comedy about a guy that doesn't die after being hanged.
The Foul King. Funny slapstick comedy movie where Kang Ho Song becomes a wrestler.
Beast Cops. HK Crime Thriller with Anthony Wong. More realistic than the John Woo sort of movies.
Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Remade as The Departed.
Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Donnie Yen martial arts movies. All are pretty good.
Ricky-Oh. Hilarious over the top martial arts movie with people getting guts ripped out and what not.
The Man From Nowhere. Solid Korean thriller movie.
The Good, The Bad , The Weird. excellent western parody/homage with Byung Hun Lee and Kang Ho Song.
Secret Reunion. Korean Spy Thriller with Kang Ho Song. Some good action and comedy.
A Brand New Life. Korean drama movie about a little girl who has to live in an orphanage after her father leaves her.
City Of Violence. Great Action movie.

Because of the lack of formatting and spacing in that post I shan't be watching any of those films, or Asian films, or films, anymore. Cheers for that, cunt.

maett

Quote from: popcorn on June 12, 2014, 11:25:20 PM
Yeah, she's like Korea's only actress, as far as the world's concerned. She is indeed great and very adorable. She's also in one of my other favourite movies, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (also by far my favourite Park Chan-wook movie, aka the Oldboy guy). First time I saw Linda Linda Linda I didn't realise her Japanese was pretty rubbish and I just thought she was supposed to be a bit slow.

I'm jealous you met her, and have a Linda Linda Linda soundtrack. Story?

Not much of a story I'm afraid, met her at a signing in 2003 at the Busan Film Festival (which is bloody excellent) promoting Spring Bear Love, I was already a big fan/stalker of hers after Take Care of my Cat, queued up for 40 minutes, the only white person in a line of schoolgirls, who were there to meet the good looking male lead. She was a bit surprised to see a wayguk and asked me in Korean where I was from, but at the time I spoke no Korean so I just looked apologetic, as a parting I blustered 'Come and visit me in London'.
  3 years later she had indeed visited London, obviously looking for me, had photographed it and had a book published of her pics, she did another promotional signing in a Seoul bookshop. This time I was better prepared, I visited one of those Asian photo booths where you can add flowers/hearts etc to the image and then print them off as stickers. After satisfying myself that the image of me looking lovelorn whilst ripping open my shirt to reveal cartoon hearts emanating from underneath was ridiculous enough, I wrote a message in Korean on the back, offering her the opportunity of staying with me and my mate in London, and my email address, she did snigger at the sticker so I was left happy.
   I still hope to bump into her one day cycling along the Han River, but seems she's taken now, so I'm turning my attention to Eun Jung from T-ara.  I'm also a big fan of Bong Joon-ho, he seems to have an eye for actresses as I reckon Ah-sung Ko is going to be pretty special, too.

BlodwynPig

No-one mentioned The Isle yet? Definitely not the best, but coming out just as Asian cinema was peaking in the West.

Van Dammage

• The Vengeance trilogy. Park Chan Wook being epic.

• Joint Security Area, Park Chan Wook again being epic with Kang Ho Song and Byung Hun Lee.

• Anything by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Mainly Pulse and Cure.

• My Sassy Girl. One of my favourite movies and probably my favourite comedy movie, and i usually hate rom coms.

• A Bittersweet Life. Great Kim Jee Woon movie with Byung Hun Lee. Amazing fight scene in the middle.

• Anything from Takashi Miike.

• Most of John Woo's HK stuff.

• Castaway On The Moon. Another Amazing South Korean Rom Com.

• Eureka. Awesome 3 hour drama movie from Shinji Aoyama. Koji Yakusho is great in it and Eihi Shiina makes a small appearance.

• Gonin. Odd Japanese heist film directed by Takashi Ishii. Takeshi Kitano has a small role as a gay hitman.

• Once Upon A Time In High School. Korean High School movie set in the 70's. Great soundtrack.

• Memento Mori. Korean Horror/Drama set in a girls high school. Some lesbians but there's more to it than that.

• Noroi : The Curse. Best found footage movie i've seen. Japanese horror.

• Fish Story. Comedy / Drama about a punk song that can save the world. Great soundtrack.

• The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck, And God In A Coin Locker. Same director as fish story. Again a great soundtrack. The whole movie is built around a Bob Dylan song.

• Onibaba and Kuroneko. 2 excellent 60's horror movies directed by Kaneto Shindo.

• Anything from Seijun Suzuki. (Even Pistol Opera).

• Hara Kiri. Amazing samurai movie from Masaki Kobayashi.

• Shinjuku Incident. Serious crime drama movie from Jackie Chan. Show's some dramatic acting from Chan and more realistic fights.

• Ringu.

• Shutter. Great Thai horror movie.

• Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, The Protector. Amazing Thai Martial arts films.

• Memories of Murder. One of the best serial killer movies I've seen. Kang Ho Song again.

• Mad Detective. Detective movie from Johnny To. Said detective is a bit mad and can see peoples "Other Personalities".

• Revenge : A Love Story. Gritty and violent revenge movie with a good story and some iffy cgi.

• Marebito. Takashi Shimizu's most overlooked and underrated film. Very slow paced.

• Evil Dead Trap. Japanese horror movie. essentially a mix of body horror movies, slashers and giallo's.

• Made In Hong Kong. Crime drama set in HK, directed by Fruit Chan. Fairly depressing.

• Anything from the Pang brothers.

• Anything from Shinya Tsukamoto.

• Public Enemy. Korean serial killer movie with a protaganist similar to Dirty Harry. Some great dark humour.

• Death by Hanging. Japanese comedy about a guy that doesn't die after being hanged.

• The Foul King. Funny slapstick comedy movie where Kang Ho Song becomes a wrestler.

• Beast Cops. HK Crime Thriller with Anthony Wong. More realistic than the John Woo sort of movies.

• Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Remade as The Departed.

• Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Donnie Yen martial arts movies. All are pretty good.

• Ricky-Oh. Hilarious over the top martial arts movie with people getting guts ripped out and what not.

• The Man From Nowhere. Solid Korean thriller movie.

• The Good, The Bad , The Weird. excellent western parody/homage with Byung Hun Lee and Kang Ho Song.

• Secret Reunion. Korean Spy Thriller with Kang Ho Song. Some good action and comedy.

• A Brand New Life. Korean drama movie about a little girl who has to live in an orphanage after her father leaves her.

• City Of Violence. Great Action movie.

FIXED

Sam

Well, you could have put a line of space between each recommendation:

1) Like

2) This

But it's a start and I might watch 2 and a half of them now.

Moribunderast

I've enjoyed the three Shion Sono films I've seen thus far. Strange Circus is a pretty bonkers horror film and has a really nice look to it. Cold Fish is reminiscent of the Korean-style revenge films. It's hyper-violent at times but I really liked it. I just watched Himizu, which is set in a vaguely post-apocalyptic Japan. I thought the central performances were really good and there's some striking imagery. Thought it tailed off a little at the end but definitely worth a look.

I've heard good things about some of Sono's other films, including: Suicide Club, Noriko's Dinner Table and Love Exposure. Will probably check those out shortly.