Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clickhole (Onion's Buzzfeed Spin-Off.)

Started by Bored of Canada, June 16, 2014, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazarou

Quote from: FaceHoleYou should seriously remove this because it is poison to your brand.
Your BRAND you FOOLS

Quote from: ClickBookYou should have put a NSFW label on it, but then everyone would have been wise to your game, and you couldn't lose those clicks, right?
!

Quote from: Sexy FlouncerThe funny thing is, when you unfollow a page, your comments disappear. So everyone who said they were unfollowing are full of shit.
Hahaha, this just keeps getting better.

QuoteGuys. I'm going. You can't stop me.
Think of your brand, man.

Actual comment: "So glad I didn't share this without watching it first."

And the whole fabric of "sharing" culture starts to unravel.

ZoyzaSorris

I've thought these inane things would make fertile soil for a send-up or spoof (not NOT a spin-off - stop using wrong words for things BOC) for a while. Some of these are funny but still think the perfect one is still waiting to be concocted.

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 19, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
I've thought these inane things would make fertile soil for a send-up or spoof (not NOT a spin-off - stop using wrong words for things BOC) for a while. Some of these are funny but still think the perfect one is still waiting to be concocted.

Spin-Off of the Onion, DICKHEAD.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 19, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
I've thought these inane things would make fertile soil for a send-up or spoof (not NOT a spin-off - stop using wrong words for things BOC)

I think the thread title is calling Clickhole a spin-off of The Onion (which it is) rather than Buzzfeed.

EDIT: Everything appears to be in order here.

Hey.

Hey guy.

It's called as such because it's a spin off of the Onion.

ZoyzaSorris

OK, so poor sentence construction rather than incorrect word usage is at fault.
THAT'S FINE.

Thomas

Thursday

Quote from: Thomas on June 19, 2014, 06:25:38 PM
More Facebook commenters are bailing on The Onion after this article -

7 Classic '90s Toys That Weren't Fun Anymore After 9/11

Why? are they actually fans of the onion?

Thomas

Weird, isn't it? The first comment I saw was someone saying that whilst they 'get' satire, they feel that 9/11 is the one untouchable event. Which seems a touch at odds with their opening gambit.

BritishHobo

Buzzfeed are beyond parody now anyway. Someone on my Facebook just posted an 'article' which is actually one single bit of Back to the Future trivia (the thing about Twin Pines Mall being changed to Lone Pine Mall at the end of the film after Marty knocks down a pine tree in the past), stretched out to the length of a news article, with the help of about six or seven massive screenshots. It was titled "The One Thing You Never Noticed In 'Back To The Future'", as if it hasn't been a popular piece of trivia on the internet forever already.

It's like fucking anti-content on that site.

Thomas

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 22, 2014, 12:07:21 AM
'The One Thing You Never Noticed In 'Back To The Future''

'If You've Never Seen 'Back To The Future''.

Thursday

Quote from: Thomas on June 21, 2014, 11:49:54 PM
Weird, isn't it? The first comment I saw was someone saying that whilst they 'get' satire, they feel that 9/11 is the one untouchable event. Which seems a touch at odds with their opening gambit.

But the onion did stuff about it, I mean it was slightly tonally different, but still. Anyway no sense trying to find rational logic there.

Quote from: Thursday on June 22, 2014, 01:07:33 AM
But the onion did stuff about it, I mean it was slightly tonally different, but still. Anyway no sense trying to find rational logic there.

The Onion still does stuff about it. The clickhole article doesnt even really comment on 9/11 either, it's a comment on America's continued reaction to it, and the internet's manipulation and exploitation of people's emotions to get clicks out of you.

Fuck those people who ditched the Onion because of it. Think and digest what you're reading. That's what this is all about.

This has been the Onion's front page cartoon for the past week, and is as related to 9/11 as that Clickhole article.
People really upset me sometimes with their ignorance and entitled desire to not be challenged. Why subscribe to the Onion? Is it just to make yourself feel like you're in on the joke? But if you get upset by those, you're NOT in on the joke. You're misunderstanding the tone behind it.

Agh. I don't know.

I do like that drawing a lot.

Zetetic

They're not related in the same way. The Clickhole article addresses the perpetuation (and infantilisation?) of grief as it relates to 9/11 while the cartoon is much more focused on a particular sort of hyperbolic rhetoric as it relates to 9/11.

If nothing else, I can understand that the former might feel to some like an attack on their and others' emotional response, while that's not really an issue for the latter.

George Oscar Bluth II

9/11 is only really available for satire because of it's hijacking[nb]lol[/nb] by various utterly shameless politicians and other assorted cunts. All this "the world changed that day" stuff is their rhetoric, and is therefore ripe for mockery like in that article.

9/11 changed everything etc etc.

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 22, 2014, 12:07:21 AM
Buzzfeed are beyond parody now anyway.

I always thought this was true of reality TV. It's like a virus that keeps mutating before a workable vaccine can be found. I think Clickhole is having a pretty good go at it, but we can probably expect it to get more transgressive in order to keep up.

BritishHobo

What do they think the satire is in that cartoon? With the little smug cartoonist in the corner? They obviously know what The Onion is, so why are they taking this as a straight political cartoon?

ZoyzaSorris

Doh. I love that little cartoonist guy.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Zetetic on June 22, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
They're not related in the same way. The Clickhole article addresses the perpetuation (and infantilisation?) of grief as it relates to 9/11 while the cartoon is much more focused on a particular sort of hyperbolic rhetoric as it relates to 9/11.

You see for more I saw it gaining its funny from contrasting the inanity of the nostalgic list articles with the horror of a real world of inevitable death, I didn't see it as necessarily taking the piss out of 911 response. (Probably a bit of both)

kngen

With that butter film and the "knighting" story, they're really starting to hit their stride here.