Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

mostly hate this building, but it does have its moments.

Spoon of Ploff

^ like a belt made of dew drops. Much kudos to yer.

greenman

A more conventional one...

More cracking pictures greenman. Keep them coming.

greenman

A nice tasteful first image from my US trip before I bore everyone with dozens of monochrome landscape shots...

greenman

On to the tedious landscapes...

greenman

A gratuitous shot of some big breasts...

Sebastian Cobb

greenman

Some shot on Fuji Velvia slide film.

I love that one. Have been experimenting with sort of abstract/painterly photography lately but managed nothing as good as this.

greenman

Now to convince the locals to start buying that kind of picture more.

What I would say is that I think its easy to overlook the fundamentals of composition looking for those kinds of images when actually the benefit of more abstract shots can be you have more potential variety making it that much easier to find images which a very striking composition to them. That shot(hidden falls in grand teton) for example conforms to the horry old rule of thirds, just not your more obvious "horizon 2/3rds of the way up, tree 1/3 of the way across" fashion.

Nikon looking to empty my bank account again I see with the D850 being announced, my D800 is starting to show some wear and I have been considering getting into wildlife shooting more, 45 MP and up to 9 FPS with better autofocus does seem attractive as I don't have the cash for really expense tele lenses.

Spoon of Ploff

not enough Dr Who in this thread (or CAB forums in general). So here's a couple of pics from the Dr Who Experience - Cardiff (Wales).

tempted to make this my new avatar

greenman

To take things in a slightly different direction does anyone have any favourite books of photography? Besides a lot of the obvious stuff like say Ansel Adams one of my favourite landscape books is actually Don McCullins Open Skies, remember seeing some of his landscapes at a London museum/valley(maybe the V&A?) years ago and loving the moodiness.

I'm more aware of photographers' work in general than particular books but I like Hans Van Der Meer's European Fields:

And John Bulmer's The North published recently but containing pictures shot for magazines in the 1960s and 1970s:

My favourites of his are actually his black and white Black Country photos. With early colour street or people photography, it's nice to have something closer to home than the American heroes and also not as satirical as Martin Parr's Brighton photos.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the French humanist photography, I like this Willy Ronis book because he chooses the pictures that meant most to him over his career and beside each one writes a page or two about the scene at the time or the memories that the photo brings back. It includes a lot of personal photos of his family and the most touching one is taken from a long way up of his wife Marie-Anne among trees and leaves when she had been suffering with Alzheimers and they had already lived together for nearly fifty years. This picture

I'm also fascinated by the Düsseldorf School but I think it might be best to start a photography thread outside of HS Art for more of this kind of thing.