Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC 2 Comedy vault

Started by biggytitbo, January 01, 2015, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Some good rare/unseen clips in this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0441vfk/the-comedy-vaults-bbc2s-hidden-treasure

Apperently the first time the Ben Elton/Richard Curtis Madness pilot has ever been shown. Shame they didn't make it just about unbroadcast pilots as that was by far the most interesting bit. Great how cheap the QI pilot looked too, they should have kept it like that.

Brundle-Fly

It was an interesting but frustrating show because it alluded to other pilots etc in the linking devices that we get to learn nothing about.

I find Sugg's long hair in that clip quite discombobulating.

biggytitbo

Yes it was a bit odd that they showed pictures of other stuff that they didn't actually show.

They could really make a whole series of these things - the BBCs archive or old, obscure and unbroadcast comedy must be huge.

Lapsedcat

Although I suspect it may be cack, I'd like to see Bernard and the Genie again.

Quote from: Lapsedcat on January 01, 2015, 02:10:02 PM
Although I suspect it may be cack, I'd like to see Bernard and the Genie again.
Your wish is my command. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qwZcycfoI

WesterlyWinds

Cheers I enjoyed this. To my enduring shame I've not really seen much of Peter Cook before but some of his segments were fantastic - what should I track down of his to watch/listen to first?

biggytitbo

Have a look at his Clive Anderson Talks Back appearances if you haven't seen them. Doesn't get much better than that.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on January 01, 2015, 03:51:17 PM
Cheers I enjoyed this. To my enduring shame I've not really seen much of Peter Cook before but some of his segments were fantastic - what should I track down of his to watch/listen to first?

The 1967 film, Bedazzled.

biniput

That madness thing showed it wouldn't work because they aren't proper actors at all. It looked very stagey.

Pinball

It's stating the obvious for the 100th time, but the BBC should release all of this material on DVD (or BluRay where the source is 'natively HD' film). Or at the least put it all on iPlayer, Netflix, Youtube whatever. Very easy and cheap to do. Sorting out all the royalties an issue? So set up a team to work on this. Your budget's big enough, BBC. No more excuses.

We are surely far enough into the Information Age now for this to happen? Just ridiculous it hasn't yet. Commercial organisations would be all over it if they had an archive like this.

Seeing some of the lovely quality MP4s on iPlayer really makes me want this to happen :-) Maybe there is a petition somewhere?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: biniput on January 02, 2015, 06:15:45 AM
That madness thing showed it wouldn't work because they aren't proper actors at all. It looked very stagey.

True, if you watch their autobipic, Take It Or Leave It (1981), it's only Lee the sax player who can pull off the comedy, Chas and Mike are quite natural though. Suggs would be better now, his one man show was excellent.

Imagine if that Spielberg produced, Supergrass sit-com had ever got made? Strewth!

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Pinball on January 03, 2015, 04:06:31 PMWe are surely far enough into the Information Age now for this to happen? Just ridiculous it hasn't yet. Commercial organisations would be all over it if they had an archive like this.

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/a-z

Pinball

Very nice. Is there a get_iplayer equivalent for ITV player?

Spiny Norman

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 01, 2015, 09:25:09 AMApperently the first time the Ben Elton/Richard Curtis Madness pilot has ever been shown.
Oh? Isn't it on that Madness DVD set, 'gogglebox'?

thenoise

Quote from: Pinball on January 03, 2015, 04:06:31 PM
It's stating the obvious for the 100th time, but the BBC should release all of this material on DVD (or BluRay where the source is 'natively HD' film). Or at the least put it all on iPlayer, Netflix, Youtube whatever. Very easy and cheap to do. Sorting out all the royalties an issue? So set up a team to work on this. Your budget's big enough, BBC. No more excuses.

We are surely far enough into the Information Age now for this to happen? Just ridiculous it hasn't yet. Commercial organisations would be all over it if they had an archive like this.

Seeing some of the lovely quality MP4s on iPlayer really makes me want this to happen :-) Maybe there is a petition somewhere?

All of their more niche stuff should be made available as Manufactured On Demand DVDRs, like the Warner Brothers Archive series in the US.

Malcy

Be good to see this again. I wish the BBC would release Felix Dexter's pilot and also the McGlashan spin off from Absolutely.