Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Russell Brand Podcast (NEW SHIT with MATT MORGAN)

Started by BritishHobo, February 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

There was a little beat in the brilliant pre-show podcast this week that really let me know that Ol' Russ values the fans enough to be upfront with them. It was when he almost didn't mention that he was planning on getting hitched again, only to blurt it out anyway to ensuing comedy gold.  The show's as good as ever, especially when Matt Morgan [Freeman] ploughs in.  My eyes always light up when I see it in my podcast feed.  I think the new Russ being a weird, introverted Video Game-playing geek all nervous about the most basic of social interactions has really made him much more likeable and closer to Morgan's groove (a textbook gifted introvert if ever I saw one.  The cave/underground tunnel obsession and total horror whenever he's forced to talk to guests totally gave that away).

iamcoop

God, I never really liked Paul Mckenna's old appearances anyway but on the latest one he comes across as such an insufferable twat I had to skip most of his bit. Can understand Russell being on board with him but I always had Matt down as the sort of person that would detest someone like McKenna. Anyway, still some big laughs to be had. I especially like the way Mr G is pretty much another co-host now. One of the few people I don't mind hearing pissing themselves in the background of a radio show.

Sin Agog

Gee seems like a genuinely good person. In the humblest, most un-showbiz kind of way.  I really like him.  Especially his reaction to the bee lady's 'I have a lotus you can lick' this week. 

Yeah, McKenna clearly fancies himself a Maharishi Mahesh Sexy Sadie type with legions of lissome young followers dampening at his every word.  Vaguely remember hearing that some of the funders of the Leave campaign consulted him for strategy.  So whatever he said in that episode about only helping the good guys was a bag of shite.   I think Matt (and possibly even Russell) got off on the novelty of the guy more than wanting him to be their new good friend.

Repeater

BritishHobo

Matt: You've spent years taking drugs, and having been completely selfish about drugs...
Russ: Selfish, was I?
Matt: Well, a little bit.
Russ: I gave you some.

Ja'moke

This week's episode was a true return to form, and the most like the old Radio 2 shows of any so far. Matt's childhood story about the black tongue can be added to the list of Morgan Family classics, not to mention the new material to the Darren French canon, and the "black spots" story and riffs that came from that were great too. Plus, the bee-sting lady felt like the eccentric kind of guests they interviewed in the old days.

Repeater

She was awful. Terrible radio. Surprised she made the cut.

Repeater

The two guests on his most recent Under The Skin were so annoying. You had your whiney voiced nasalman and a rabi who just seemed like he kinda hated humanity n shit. Delete.

BritishHobo

Just listening to the McKenna episode, and I ended up having to fast forward and all. I can't even really put my finger on why. Just found it really smug and dull.

Ringside

Was there an episode this past Sunday? Nothing updated yet on itunes.

BritishHobo

Repeater

Dr Rock

Does anyone else prefer listening to it as a radio show without the video element?

Ringside

Weird. Still not on itunes. Just grabbing it from elsewhere ready for work tomorrow.

Ringside

Quick question....has anyone compared the podcast release to the actual broadcast? And is the broadcast available anywhere?

Cheers.

Repeater

Radio X I guess...

Is it just me who gets annoyed at their constant, "other brands ARE available"? Doesn't sound like a bit, they sound like they're serious. Surely they don't have to do this kind of disclaimer bollocks, particularly when they're not on the BBC? Also their avoid certain swear words annoys me but I understawn that.

TMJ

Quote from: Repeater on May 31, 2017, 08:22:52 AM
Radio X I guess...

Is it just me who gets annoyed at their constant, "other brands ARE available"? Doesn't sound like a bit, they sound like they're serious. Surely they don't have to do this kind of disclaimer bollocks, particularly when they're not on the BBC? Also their avoid certain swear words annoys me but I understawn that.
I think it's a running joke, but I'm not sure. On Radio 1, Moyles always used to do the running gag of calling things "generic ______" ("generic hard-disk satellite recording system" = Sky+ box, for example) and the producer would always jump in with "other brands are available". However, on Radio X they seem a lot more free to just namedrop brands. So I can't imagine it's come from Global.

Makes me think it might just be a hangover from Brand's Radio 2 days, perhaps.

Repeater

Rarely sounds like a bit, and aye, I've listened to their old shows so I ken the origins. Just irks me to hear him be so deferential.

MOLLOY

Quote from: iamcoop on May 23, 2017, 11:22:47 PM
God, I never really liked Paul Mckenna's old appearances anyway but on the latest one he comes across as such an insufferable twat I had to skip most of his bit. Can understand Russell being on board with him but I always had Matt down as the sort of person that would detest someone like McKenna. Anyway, still some big laughs to be had. I especially like the way Mr G is pretty much another co-host now. One of the few people I don't mind hearing pissing themselves in the background of a radio show.

McKenna said some really interesting stuff. If any of it has truth in it it would be genuinely exciting. I think he's gone through a journey and he pretty much wants to do the right thing. Whoever said he supports Trump is wide of the mark considering he was praising Chomsky for much of the episode. He  also will happily take the piss out of himself. I find a lot of people on here rarely give someone a chance if they're not the underdog...probably because we're largely a forum of misfits.

Dr Rock

As I recall, McKenna's stuff about a separated twins being able to feel pain when the other got a shock (or whatever it was) is complete bollocks, tested a million times and shown to not have anything in it.

Repeater

I said he supports trump and i stand by it. Listen to the show, he gives it away by what he doesn't say.

MOLLOY

Quote from: Repeater on June 03, 2017, 12:03:15 AM
I said he supports trump and i stand by it. Listen to the show, he gives it away by what he doesn't say.

Nope, don't hear it. I hear him praising Chomsky's work as a political activist and later a video which satirises trump which kind of goes somewhat against that assertion. He dissects Clinton and Obama's psychological techniques but I don't see that as being an advocate for Trump. I'd rather go by what he does say.

MOLLOY

Quote from: Repeater on June 03, 2017, 07:36:08 AM
You'd be wrong

Not a single attempt to back your assertion up? That's me convinced!

iamcoop

For anyone that's still listening to this the latest podcast is fucking brilliant. One of the funniest two hours I've listened to in a long time.

For my money the closest they've ever got to the giddy heights of the Radio 2 days.

Repeater

Anyone still bothering with Under Yer Skin? I can't be fucked with it any more, especially now he's got that Welsh guy with the annoying voice and tone on every show seemingly.

Sin Agog

The one with the Syriza guy, Yanis Varoufakis, was genuinely fascinating, but that was all Varoufakis' doing.  Matt totally summed up what Brand does in the little podcast at the end of the last show: every time his guests say something apt, he repeats what they said except...longer.  He's really got to stop doing that, as that habit bled a ton into the last Radio X episode.  It makes you want to just cut straight to an old nanecdote about Matt's family instead.  And I say that as someone who sort of loves Brand.

The last episode with the meditation lady was nice and warm, and I genuinely got into a zen place when she chaperoned the listeners through a five-minute meditation at the end.  P'raps being miles from anyone in the South Downs didn't hurt.

So, still glad it exists, but Russ has got to dial down the annoying habits.  He's got one with Naomi Klein coming up, which could be great or terrible.

SteveDave

Quote from: iamcoop on July 05, 2017, 01:22:19 AM
For anyone that's still listening to this the latest podcast is fucking brilliant. One of the funniest two hours I've listened to in a long time.

For my money the closest they've ever got to the giddy heights of the Radio 2 days.

I've never previously liked Russell Brand but I'm loving these podcasts. Are there still podcasts of his Radio 2 show up or were they all burnt? Matt Morgan impression of Russell always brings a chuckle to my face. As did his son's question to Noel Gallagher "Hey mister, how come you ain't got no beard?"

I think I've written that here before though...