Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blade Runner 2

Started by momatt, February 27, 2015, 03:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Johnny Textface

I'm quite happy with the choice of director, enjoyed Prisoners to an extent and though Enemy was brilliant.
Glad Scott is out of the picture to be honest - too many yes men around him a la Lucas.
However, do they really need Ford back?

monolith

So I guess he wasn't a replicant then.

momatt

Quote from: monolith on February 27, 2015, 04:21:13 PM
So I guess he wasn't a replicant then.

Why?  Because his batteries haven't ran out yet?

Johnny Textface

They only live for 3 years or summat

fit bird

Will they get Sean Young back now she's mental do you reckon?

momatt

Her batteries will have run out by now.

None of the replicants can come back as the actors have aged, so it would be silly.
Not that it's stopping that mad lot doing the latest Terminator.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ford looks basically like another person entirely now so he may even be able to play a different character.

A lot of the totalitarian imagery in Blade Runner was very fantastical and drawn on Egyptian and South American religious monuments, I wonder whether this will be continued or seen to be a bit too 80s.

Buttress

In a world..

Will this suck like Prometheus? Let's certainly hope not

Bhazor

Grand dad, you're needed on set. Don't worry you can still nap between takes. We've got a pointed stick to prompt you.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 27, 2015, 04:37:51 PM
They only live for 3 years or summat

Well, Rachel had no expiration date, maybe if Deck 'ard was a replicant he'd be the same.

monkfromhavana

Actually, if the "off-world colonies" were actually old people's homes in space where deckard is living, pissing himself and eating boiled fish in parsley sauce, this could be a winner for Harrison[nb]first name basis[/nb].

biggytitbo

Quote from: momatt on February 27, 2015, 03:23:07 PM
So it's officially happening and Harrison Ford is the lead.
Denis Villeneuve is directing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31657466

Might even be good.

Might not be though:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/harrison-ford-ill-stop-when-ive-ruined-all-of-my-films-2015022795819

That's slightly unfair. It's only kingdom of the crystal skull and he was by far the best thing in it. Best thing he's done for years too. Star Wars, well even if that's shit it won't be his fault and they could hardly make a crapper film than the originals anyway.

I do think it's a bit odd they'd even want him back though, he'll be pushing 75 by the time this is made - wouldn't Deckard be retired and pruning his roses? The film doesn't need Deckard in anyway either.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 27, 2015, 06:29:56 PM
Star Wars, well even if that's shit it won't be his fault and they could hardly make a crapper film than the originals anyway.

Assume you mean the prequels there?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 27, 2015, 06:56:08 PM
Assume you mean the prequels there?

No. I don't think the first 3 films are very good in themselves. Acting, writing, directing - Raiders shits over every single one of them.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 27, 2015, 07:32:23 PM

No. I don't think the first 3 films are very good in themselves. Acting, writing, directing - Raiders shits over every single one of them.

Heh fair enough - you must really fucking hate the Prequels then?

Steven

Won't they just make up some bullshit about making an older model of Deckard for some reason? He needs to be extra-fogeyish for his Private Dick job, or so he's undercover and people can see he's aged and therefore must be human? I'm astonished they need to keep the actors coming back to these ancient franchises like Alien or Blade Runner, they will survive on the name alone without having to shoehorn the same protagonist/actor in, just be good!

Replies From View

Quote from: Steven on February 27, 2015, 07:43:18 PM
Won't they just make up some bullshit about making an older model of Deckard for some reason?

Hopefully they will have a pre-titles sequence explicitly stating that the original Deckard was a replicant, and will show a new "older" version being made in a mould in a factory or something.  All the wretched ambiguities in the first Blade Runner can be fucking right out.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 27, 2015, 07:34:55 PM
Heh fair enough - you must really fucking hate the Prequels then?

Indifference mate. Only seen 1 and a half of them and couldn't care less.

Dropshadow

A near-retirement Deckard is sent back in time by a desperate, last-stand group of human beans (good guys) in a world dominated by Nexus 7, 8, and 9 replicants (baddies) to make sure that the baddies don't end up dominating the world so that, in the future, the good guys won't have to go back in time to make things better, etc.

If Vangelis does a new soundtrack I'd watch it.

SteveDave

What the fuck is up with his nose in that photo on the BBC article?

chocky909

Maybe he'll be in weird CGI like Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy. It might even connect the uncanny valley effect with the whole replicant differences. Even then though, Ford actually sounds a lot different now. Always sounds tired and bored.

I'd be excited about a new film set in the same universe with some real talent but using Ford is risky.

Is Vangelis still alive? [checks] Yes!

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: momatt on February 27, 2015, 03:23:07 PM
Might not be though:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/harrison-ford-ill-stop-when-ive-ruined-all-of-my-films-2015022795819

I've had a grudging respect for Ford's attitude of not giving a shit about his past roles. He seems to treat himself as an actor for hire rather than this living legend that the audience see.

Old Nehamkin

I think they should arbitrarily title this film Bl2de Runner, and everyone just has to pretend that the number 2 looks like the letter A.

BlodwynPig

If they have a Vangelis soundtrack instead of a dubgrime Kanye Foo Fighters one, then I will be happy. They could even use the outtakes from the original.

Phil_A

From what I remember from one of the books that was supposed to be the "official" sequel (yeah right), there was some stuff with the "real" Rachel who is supposedly the original(Tyrell's daughter?) that the replicant was based on. I could see them going down that route with Ford(although hopefully not following the same story, as it wasn't very good).

Nice if they could get Sean Young back in some role, although I'm not sure how likely that is given her and Ford did not get on at all on the original. And also she's kind of a headcase.

Squink

Isn't the Sean-Young-is-crazy thing just a case of Hollywood not applying the same standards to women as it does to men? I've read about most of the things she's done, and eh, apart from the James Woods thing it doesn't seem that mad. And who knows how trustworthy Woods is anyway.

Steven

Quote from: Replies From View on February 27, 2015, 08:16:01 PM
Hopefully they will have a pre-titles sequence explicitly stating that the original Deckard was a replicant, and will show a new "older" version being made in a mould in a factory or something.  All the wretched ambiguities in the first Blade Runner can be fucking right out.

What they might do is have Deckard re-born in an older looking model android for some plot reason and he'll be unaware of the fact like in the first film and carry on with whatever his mission is. Obviously having him look older will add credence to the notion he's human to any people that were aware of his past, which will probably be revisiting some events and people from the previous film.

Replies From View

Quote from: chocky909 on February 28, 2015, 12:55:39 AM
Even then though, Ford actually sounds a lot different now. Always sounds tired and bored.

Like the voiceover narration for the Blade Runner theatrical cut, basically.