Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What comics/graphic novels are you reading? 2015

Started by Pinckle Wicker, March 25, 2015, 06:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Not so much into the fantasy graphic novel caper but if you like a bit of NSFW brilliantly observed and very funny semi-autobiographical shenanigans then you'll go no wrong in picking up Bob Fingerman's Minimum Wage follow up series. I was mildly obsessed with Minimum Wage comic in the 1990s but this recent totally unexpected catch up of these slacker characters has blown me away.

What I find rather fascinating is that Fingerman* has barely moved the timeline into the 21st century, so the universe still inhabits that beautiful pre-social media bliss.  The writer is a total Anglophile comedy freak (clearly loved Spaced), but his artwork and narrative (although refined since the Nineties days) is still on the mark.

If you liked Hate, Love And Rockets, Peep Show, Milk And Cheese J.R Williams CRAP etc... then la la la...

So, for the uninitiated Gen (X) up with this:

Then, check out this collection:

And this third set of comics, So Many Bad Decisions will probably be made into a book at some point?

http://www.bobfingerman.com

*I am not currently affiliated with Bob Fingerman.

New Minimum Page!!! Fuck...dude!

Custard

Just bought the first volume of the lovely new editions of Y: The Last Man. By August, all five volumes will be out, so looking forward to rediscovering it. Love that series so much

Also bought Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe. I've read small amounts of Deadpool before, but never really got what all the fuss is about. Will try again with this, though it's very slight

Been ploughing through Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 3 and v. 4, too. Just brilliant, and surprisingly funny at times. Though I could possibly do without the short strips narrated by his lispy robot

Recently read the first two volumes of The New 52 Suicide Squad. Insanely daft, but really fun and entertaining.

Read Marvel's Civil War. Very good, and a great premise, but a bit of a clusterfuck at points. Hopefully the film will be a bit more easy to follow

And fiiiiiiiinally, I've ordered Punisher Max: Complete Collection Vol. 1, which comes out end of January. 17 squids on the Amazon atm, which is a blinkin' steal for 416 pages. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1302900153

CaledonianGonzo

Christmas presents this year in the shape of Fun Home and Grandville Noel, both very enjoyable though one admittedly  more self-consciously highbrow than the other. The wait or Force Majeure in 2017 is going to drag

Icehaven

Read Blacksad a few months ago, absolutely loved it. Even though it's a bit more whimsical than I usually go for the animal head angle is well thought out and not overdone, and the artwork is oustanding, some of the city scenes are stunning.
I quite liked Scott McCloud's The Sculptor too, it was satisfyingly long for a graphic novel (I've always thought a big problem with them being so labour intensive is a year's work can result in a beautiful but flimsy feeling 150 page book that's over just as you're getting into it.), although I think the plot wasn't great, and the fact it was centred around an slightly old-fashioned seeming MPDG maybe betrayed how long it's been in the works (or maybe just the age of the artist.)
I'm after the new Adrian Tomine, Fatherland by Nina Bunjevac, and The House That Groaned by Karrie Fransman next, although the fact my local library service can no longer afford to buy new books might set me back a bit for a while, so will probably re-read Building Stories by Chris Ware soon, it's been a year or so since I read it so it'll feel newish.
That and Blacksad were the last two I read that really gave me that feeling of being the perfect cross between books and films that my favourite graphic novels give me. I love reading (I'm a librarian), but I don't have a very good visual imagination, when I read descriptions of scenes or people or anything I find it very hard to not just picture something or someone that I've already seen, so for me graphic novels are great as the worlds and people are there to see as intended, instead of having to try and imagine them and just coming up with an amalgamation of pre-existing images and faces. That sounds lazy but it isn't, I just think some people can picture things better than others, and I really struggle with it. I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson recently, which is an amazing book, but it was almost ruined for me by the fact that by the third or fourth page my brain had decided the main protagonist looked and spoke exactly like Christina Ricci as Wednesday Addams, and nothing could shift it. 

hamfist

My christmas present this year was this :

which I loved, and read in one go...

Icehaven

Quote from: hamfist on December 29, 2015, 09:02:05 PM
My christmas present this year was this :

which I loved, and read in one go...

One of my birthday pressies in April :) I loved it, loved how he's shown as playful but focussed. I generally really enjoy the graphic novel as a (semi) biographical medium, the Hellraisers one and the amazing Jeffrey Dahmer one too, I find they leave a much stronger impression than text ones.

Small Man Big Horse

Haven't read any comics for a good old while now so obtaining a whole load tonight. I'm catching up with Saga, Sex Criminals (though I think there's only been about four issues since I last read it), Rachel Rising, The Walking Dead (old habits, etc), and guilty pleasures Buffy and Angel & Faith. Has anything else fun and interesting popped up recently? And did any one stick with Morning Glories? I loved it for about the first fifteen issues but really struggled with the next ten and haven't bothered since then...

BritishHobo

I'm a volume each into season 9 of Buffy and Angel and Faith (hoping to pick up the other two volumes of each next month). Buffy does feel like more of a return to the character-focused drama of the show, but you do still have mad shit like
Spoiler alert
Buffy living on a bug spaceship, or a whole arc where she's been replaced by another bloody robot, this time with her mimd implanted in it. Also things like Xander and Dawn''s background relationship show up the limitations of the comic compared to the show. Hopefully they and Willow get more time in the latter half of season 9.
[close]

Been really enjoying Angel and Faith so far. It's always going to be moodier and more conflicted than Buffy, which is great fun. Shame that
Spoiler alert
what Angel is now atoning for, is all the incoherent shit he did in season 8,
[close]
but at least he's back as his own character now, not Buffy's.

I'm guessing you're following season 10? How is it so far?

Phil_A

Criminal: Coward by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips. I was bought this for Christmas and I've just got round to reading it. It's...okay, but God am I sick to death of sub-Sin City "hard-boiled" dialogue in comics. It just feels so tired. Surely by this point in his career Brubaker must be fed-up writing stuff like this?

I have a feeling Phillips will never be as good as his early work in the Judge Dredd Megazine again.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 06, 2016, 10:37:46 AM
I'm a volume each into season 9 of Buffy and Angel and Faith (hoping to pick up the other two volumes of each next month). Buffy does feel like more of a return to the character-focused drama of the show, but you do still have mad shit like
Spoiler alert
Buffy living on a bug spaceship, or a whole arc where she's been replaced by another bloody robot, this time with her mimd implanted in it. Also things like Xander and Dawn''s background relationship show up the limitations of the comic compared to the show. Hopefully they and Willow get more time in the latter half of season 9.
[close]

Yeah, I liked Season 9 well enough but like you say the mad shit like
Spoiler alert
Buffy living on the spaceship
[close]
just wasn't needed. And I'm bored of Dawn as well, I quite liked it when they turned her in to a giant horse but all the relationship stuff is a tad dull.

QuoteBeen really enjoying Angel and Faith so far. It's always going to be moodier and more conflicted than Buffy, which is great fun. Shame that
Spoiler alert
what Angel is now atoning for, is all the incoherent shit he did in season 8,
[close]
but at least he's back as his own character now, not Buffy's.

I found myself preferring it to Buffy S9 most of the time, the storyline was stronger and I like how Faith and Angel interact in general.

QuoteI'm guessing you're following season 10? How is it so far?

I think Buffy S10 is the best series yet, they've cut down on the crazier side of things, plus it has the feel of the old gang (mostly) being back together again after being separated for so long. Angel and Faith is still pretty strong, but it's annoyed me a bit by bringing back an old character who I personally don't think should have returned. Can't really say anything more on that front until you're up to date though!

Quote from: Phil_A on February 06, 2016, 01:35:08 PM
Criminal: Coward by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips. I was bought this for Christmas and I've just got round to reading it. It's...okay, but God am I sick to death of sub-Sin City "hard-boiled" dialogue in comics. It just feels so tired. Surely by this point in his career Brubaker must be fed-up writing stuff like this?

I have a feeling Phillips will never be as good as his early work in the Judge Dredd Megazine again.

Blimey, Phillips used to be one of my favourite artists but the page above is bland old stuff. Can't say Brubaker's ever really done it for me though, I liked some of his work when he first started out but found it to be repetitive and it's been a long time since I've read any.

Custard

Enjoyed the first volume of Sex Criminals, and will probably go for the second, but am I alone in finding the premise a bit too daft? Heh

There were times where I almost wanted it just to be a straight story of yer couple there, and found the sex-robbery bits a bit ridonkulous. (I didn't read up on it before ordering it, which is probably a bit daft!)

Though I like the characters, artwork and writing so far, so will probably stick with it.

Read all five volumes of The New 52 Suicide Squad, and boy did it dip in quality here n there. By the end I didn't really care about any of the characters, and it was starting to feel like a bit of a chore to get through. Now it's spun off into something else, and I'm oot

Phil_A

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 07, 2016, 12:54:28 AM
Blimey, Phillips used to be one of my favourite artists but the page above is bland old stuff. Can't say Brubaker's ever really done it for me though, I liked some of his work when he first started out but found it to be repetitive and it's been a long time since I've read any.

I think the main problem is that horrible, flat digital colouring that looks like something from the early 90s. I've noticed that with a lot of Phillips' work for DC, the production process crushes the life out of his artwork. Just compare that page to any of the stuff he's coloured himself, like this Devlin Waugh panel. A magnitude of difference.

hewantstolurkatad

I've read two works by a Norwegian dude called Jason in the last few weeks, Hey Wait and I Killed Adolf Hitler.
Honestly, I'd've been pretty pissed if I actually paid for them, they're very slight stories without a whole lot to them but there's some really nice sentiment to them and he manages to get a considerable amount out of what seems to be fairly limited animation skills.
Hmm... I thought I had more to say about him than I did. He's nice though, Hey Wait is worth a try at least, will take about 20 minutes.

Also reading Arsene Schrauwen, not sure why I started it because it hadn't grabbed my attention particularly or anything. Really not digging it at all so far.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Phil_A on February 07, 2016, 09:31:20 AM
I think the main problem is that horrible, flat digital colouring that looks like something from the early 90s. I've noticed that with a lot of Phillips' work for DC, the production process crushes the life out of his artwork. Just compare that page to any of the stuff he's coloured himself, like this Devlin Waugh panel. A magnitude of difference.

But there's a almost a decade's difference from his Devlin Waugh days.
The utterly fantastic, and very daring for the time, Devlin Waugh came at a time when British comics were still under the yoke of the painted comics revolution - the wake of Simon Bisley's Slaine and to some extent Bill Seinkiewicz's US work...
Sean Phillips work took off in the states with Sleeper (his first collab with Brubaker)  and his very fresh, very fast style of working. There is no pencilling. He roughs it out in blue marker- very rough shapes, then goes straight to ink for all the details.
I find it works really well for these Brubaker pulp stories.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on February 07, 2016, 10:00:55 PM
I've read two works by a Norwegian dude called Jason in the last few weeks, Hey Wait and I Killed Adolf Hitler.
Honestly, I'd've been pretty pissed if I actually paid for them, they're very slight stories without a whole lot to them but there's some really nice sentiment to them and he manages to get a considerable amount out of what seems to be fairly limited animation skills.
Hmm... I thought I had more to say about him than I did. He's nice though, Hey Wait is worth a try at least, will take about 20 minutes.

I liked I Killed Adolf Hitler a lot, but like you I didn't pay for it so might have been more frustrated by it if I did.

Read the first 12 issues of The October Faction by Steve "30 Day of Night" Niles last night and enjoyed it a fair deal, it's not groundbreaking but it's a sort of mix of Locke & Key and Hack/Slash, with maybe with a dash of Buffy as well, which really appealed to me, and the artwork is gorgeous too.

Small Man Big Horse

Recent reads:

The Walking Dead - God knows why, I haven't enjoyed it in a good 50 issues, and it's completely bizarre in that everyone goes around saying what an amazing man
Spoiler alert
Carl
[close]
is despite the fact that he's clearly a massive dick. The only parts I enjoy are
Spoiler alert
Negan's occasional cameos
[close]
but only because he winds up Rick so much.

Ms Marvel - It's a fun breezy read (the Wolverine two parter especially) and enjoyable inventive, whilst they also deserve kudos by carefully portraying Kamala's home life and religious beliefs in an interesting way.

Rachel Rising - Absolutely loving this still, pace wise it did falter a little a while back but now it's back on top form and I can't wait to see how everything pans out.

batwings

Just finished Grant Morrison's 6-part cosmic horror tale Nameless. Properly mental with tons to unpack. Looking forward to a second read already.

Small Man Big Horse

I'd not heard of that but thanks for the heads up, I like Morrison a lot so am looking forward to reading it.

Seems like DC's universe is being rebooted yet again, at least partially.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/18/first-dc-comics-rebirth-details-officially-released/

QuoteFirst DC Comics Rebirth Details Officially Released

The DC Comics Rebirth begins in May 2016 with an 80-page one-shot written by Geoff Johns. The book is appropriately titled DC Universe Rebirth, and Johns hopes it will begin to restore a sense of "legacy" to the DC Universe. He announced the one-shot and general details at the ComicsPRO retailer event. The story starts with the line, "I love this world... But there's something missing..."

The writer, who also serves as Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, and as a producer and writer on several DC/WB TV shows and Film projects, will leave Justice League ahead of the rebirth of the line, he also announced. His last issue will be #50, the final issue before it relaunches. There will also be Rebirth Specials for Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Superman, Titans, and Wonder Woman in June, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps, The Hellblazer, Justice League, Nightwing, and Red Hood and the Outlaws in July, and Batman Beyond, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, Deathstroke, Earth 2, Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Teen Titans, and Trinity in the more nebulous "Fall" release time-frame.

Every comic book in the entire DC Comics universe will relaunch with a new #1 issue (or simply end, or be replaced by another series). That is, except for Action Comics and Detective Comics, which will instead resume their classic numbering, picking up at #957 and #934, adding the New 52 issues to their total count. It's been widely rumored that those two series, along with some others, would move to a twice-monthly shipping schedule, and that was also confirmed by DC Comics.

Other twice-monthly issues include: Aquaman, Batman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps, Justice League, Nightwing, Cyborg, Deathstroke, Harley Quinn, Justice League America, and Suicide Squad. Details on the series and creative teams will be revealed at Wonder Con on March 26.

DCU books will return to a $2.99 price point across the line, as well, after their "Hold the line at $2.99" tagline was abandoned as some books rose to $3.99 over the last few years. Retailers, however, are somewhat skeptical about the price point change.

"If you have a proven record with success you don't need to lower your prices," Dennis Barger of Wonderworld Comics told ComicBook.com. "DC has to bring the price of the line down to $2.99 for retailers and fans to trust them again. And still, most retailers I know intend to be very cautious."

Johns likens the DC Universe Rebirth more to The Flash: Rebirth and Green Lantern: Rebirth, books that focused on reimagining characters and continuing the legacy of the many decades of stories before them. DC Comics restored their previous versions of their universe in 2015's stop-gap mini-series Convergence, and it seems this will build upon that, though Johns didn't want to give any direct details just yet.

DC Comics will seek to work with both new and experienced talent, and also announced they've signed writer Tom King (Omega Men, Grayson) and artists Clay Mann and John Timms to exclusive contracts. Mann, a 10-year veteran of Marvel Comics and Valiant Comics, was called a "rising star" in DC's announcement.

The "curtain" teaser image (seen above) was updated to include a curious collection of characters with the announcement. It appears to show a 90s-style Superboy (with the jacket as part of his costume), classic 40s-style Jay "The Flash" Garrick, A hooded figure presumed to be Green Arrow, Another Flash, probably Barry Allen, a female Green Lantern, and Supergirl. It's notable that four of those characters are currently on TV in popular DC Entertainment and WBTV collaborations.

Here are the titles that you'll see relaunched:

June:
Rebirth Specials:
AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
THE FLASH REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
TITANS REBIRTH #1
WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
AQUAMAN #1
BATMAN #1
THE FLASH #1
GREEN ARROW #1
GREEN LANTERNS #1
SUPERMAN #1
WONDER WOMAN #1

New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
ACTION COMICS #957
DETECTIVE COMICS #934

July
Rebirth Specials:
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1
THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1
NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
NIGHTWING #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATGIRL #1
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1
THE HELLBLAZER #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1
THE SUPER-MAN #1
TITANS #1

Fall
Rebirth Specials:
BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1
BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1
CYBORG REBIRTH #1
DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1
EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1
SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1
SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1
TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1
TRINITY REBIRTH #1

CYBORG #1
DEATHSTROKE #1
HARLEY QUINN #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1
SUICIDE SQUAD #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATMAN BEYOND #1
BLUE BEETLE #1
EARTH 2 #1
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1
SUPERGIRL #1
SUPERWOMAN #1
SUPER SONS #1
TEEN TITANS #1
TRINITY #1

After the failure of The New 52 I've really no idea why DC rate Geoff Johns so highly, and wish he'd fuck off soon.

Gulftastic

I jumped back into a few DC monthly titles when New 52 happened, then they cancelled virtually all of them (in most cases, after they royally fucked them up). I refuse to get into the big characters as I have neither the time or money to get involved with the regular massive crossovers. I note that Supergirl is being relaunched, so I might add that to my standing order.

For the first time in my entire comic reading life (about 40 years), the last couple of years has seen me buying more titles from publishers other than DC.

Milverton

I'm growing increasingly tempted by that Hachette Marvel graphic novel part work. I shouldn't really, because I'm not even a third of the way through the Dredd one and its threatening to take over the snooker room, the boot room and the stables. Plus, the Incredible Shoewoman looks askance every time another box of something turns up for me.

My memory of Marvel from the early eighties onwards is that it quickly turned to oil tankers full of shit. Is that fair? Maybe I was spoilt by all that lovely seventies stuff. I'm pretty sure if one of those nineties Liefeld X-Men books turned up I'd just cry.

Maybe I'll just find a best of list online and buy the ten or twenty most recommended Marvel trades.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 19, 2016, 05:41:38 PM
I jumped back into a few DC monthly titles when New 52 happened, then they cancelled virtually all of them (in most cases, after they royally fucked them up). I refuse to get into the big characters as I have neither the time or money to get involved with the regular massive crossovers. I note that Supergirl is being relaunched, so I might add that to my standing order.

For the first time in my entire comic reading life (about 40 years), the last couple of years has seen me buying more titles from publishers other than DC.

I skimmed through a few of the New 52 when it was first launched, and read a fair few issues of Justice League Dark and Batman, but the only ones I stuck with were Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Both of which I enjoyed a lot, but bar some of Batman, all of the mainstream titles didn't work for me at all. I've always been a big fan of DC, but yeah, I find I'm reading more Image and Dark Horse these days, along with various smaller indie comics.

Quote from: Milverton on February 19, 2016, 07:40:45 PM
I'm growing increasingly tempted by that Hachette Marvel graphic novel part work. I shouldn't really, because I'm not even a third of the way through the Dredd one and its threatening to take over the snooker room, the boot room and the stables. Plus, the Incredible Shoewoman looks askance every time another box of something turns up for me.

My memory of Marvel from the early eighties onwards is that it quickly turned to oil tankers full of shit. Is that fair? Maybe I was spoilt by all that lovely seventies stuff. I'm pretty sure if one of those nineties Liefeld X-Men books turned up I'd just cry.

Maybe I'll just find a best of list online and buy the ten or twenty most recommended Marvel trades.
Its a re-release, Ive been collecting it for 5 years . The list is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

A few omissions I would of liked in it, Days Of Future Past and Infinity Gauntlet and possibly something from Cable And Deadpool.

Milverton

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on February 19, 2016, 08:50:03 PM
Its a re-release, Ive been collecting it for 5 years . The list is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

A few omissions I would of liked in it, Days Of Future Past and Infinity Gauntlet and possibly something from Cable And Deadpool.

I thought it looked familiar. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Spiteface

I've been subscribing to the DC version of that Graphic novel thing, and got three more in the post today (they send them out monthly, even though they're released every two weeks):

The Brave and the Bold: Lords of Luck
Green Lantern: Secret Origin
Infinite Crisis

Infinite Crisis
isn't part of the main series, but they're putting out hardback versions of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis on the side.
Glad this collection's finally doing a bit more than just Batman/Superman/JLA (The next few will be Death of Superman and The Long Halloween though). Been wanting to check out some Green Lantern, so Secret Origin is a nice one to get. I am shelling out for a premium subscription, which is meant to include three massive books of Geoff John's entire GL run as extras. Those haven't materialised yet.

Currently I'm still reading Batman (I'll decide whether or not I'll keep reading after Snyder leaves when I see what the new creative team have in mind - word is Snyder might be shifting back to Detective Comics, allegedly to do more with Jim Gordon. Could be worthwhile, I feel like Jim Gordon as Batman has been a missed opportunity, actually. They could have spent a few years with him and built up his own rogues gallery and a different dynamic with some of the regular Bat-villains) and Walking Dead (I still like it).

Need to check out more of the Godzilla comics. I read the recent Godzilla in Hell, which was pretty cool, and the first IDW series Kingdom of Monsters, so I'd like to get more of that at some point.

Famous Mortimer

I just started the new collection of Garth Ennis' run on "Punisher Max", and it's every bit as good as I remember from reading it the first time. I love the style of it, and although it's still a bit heavy-handed maybe, I do love it. Never got on with "The Boys", though, despite sensible people I know really enjoying it - I'll stick with Frank Castle, and the second volume is coming out in April so that's good news.

Kelvin

Quote from: Spiteface on February 19, 2016, 10:08:53 PM
Currently I'm still reading Batman (I'll decide whether or not I'll keep reading after Snyder leaves when I see what the new creative team have in mind - word is Snyder might be shifting back to Detective Comics, allegedly to do more with Jim Gordon. Could be worthwhile, I feel like Jim Gordon as Batman has been a missed opportunity, actually. They could have spent a few years with him and built up his own rogues gallery and a different dynamic with some of the regular Bat-villains) and Walking Dead (I still like it).

If it ever explained how (Spoilers for Batman: Endgame)
Spoiler alert
Wayne and Joker
[close]
survived? In Endgame,
Spoiler alert
Wayne is shown blind in one eye, bleeding to death, trapped and then crushed by rocks
[close]
. How do they explain
Spoiler alert
him being alive
[close]
in the Gordon arc? It's really putting me off reading it.

Spiteface

Quote from: Kelvin on February 28, 2016, 03:55:21 PM
If it ever explained how (Spoilers for Batman: Endgame)
Spoiler alert
Wayne and Joker
[close]
survived? In Endgame,
Spoiler alert
Wayne is shown blind in one eye, bleeding to death, trapped and then crushed by rocks
[close]
. How do they explain
Spoiler alert
him being alive
[close]
in the Gordon arc? It's really putting me off reading it.

Yes. Sort of.

Spoiler alert
In the caves where the "final" fight between Batman & Joker takes place is the supply of Dionesium that Joker has allegedly been using to maintain his immortality (It is described as being purer than the stuff in Lazarus pits). Somehow, some of this stuff got into Bruce and "fixed" him. Hence his apparent memory loss. He was found, and basically reminded of who he was by Alfred, who tells him about his parents and former life as Bruce Wayne but doesn't tell him he was Batman (this becomes a plot point later on). Similar thing happened to Joker, which has made him apparently somewhat sane. I tend to believe the theory that this normal person has always been there under the surface, only now he's been "reset", that is the dominant side of him. The park bench scene between the two is one of my favourite parts of Superheavy.
[close]

Kelvin

Okay, sounds very contrived, but I suppose it's better than
Spoiler alert
them simply surviving the cave in, getting out, but losing their memories.
[close]

Custard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 28, 2016, 03:18:53 PM
I just started the new collection of Garth Ennis' run on "Punisher Max", and it's every bit as good as I remember from reading it the first time. I love the style of it, and although it's still a bit heavy-handed maybe, I do love it. Never got on with "The Boys", though, despite sensible people I know really enjoying it - I'll stick with Frank Castle, and the second volume is coming out in April so that's good news.
Aye, me too. It's great isn't it

The Kitchen Irish story is very good, very bleak, and has a great ending.

In In The Beginning,
Spoiler alert
I loved the henchmen who wouldn't die, heh
[close]

There's gonna be four volumes. Can't wait

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 28, 2016, 09:02:07 PM
Aye, me too. It's great isn't it

The Kitchen Irish story is very good, very bleak, and has a great ending.

In In The Beginning,
Spoiler alert
I loved the henchmen who wouldn't die, heh
[close]

There's gonna be four volumes. Can't wait

Agreed, but I thought it was a tiny bit weird that for Ennis' second story for the comic, he picked one that the Punisher was sort of secondary to. Great story nontheless.