Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Ah - it would be on the only version of those albums I never bought!

For the record that would be :
Apple Venus Cooking Vinyl LP
Wasp Star Cooking Vinyl (2x LP)
Apple Venus CD
Wasp Star CD
Homespun - Apple Venus demos LP
Homegrown - Wasp Star demos (2xLP)
Homespun CD
Homegrown CD
Instruvenus - Instrumental Apple Venus (Signed)
Wasptrumental - Instrumental Wasp Star (signed)
Apple Box CD set (Apple Venus, Wasp Star, Homespun, Homegrown & Apple Bite sampler - including 'Spiral' & 'Say it', but not 'Where did the Ordinary People Go') (signed)

After all that I think I'd run out of shelf space!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: daf on May 02, 2017, 12:29:09 PM

Homegrown

I once played this on a crappy portable tape recorder during a long car journey to Wales with my then girlfriend. I remember her saying, "I love XTC with all my heart but even I draw the line at listening to what appears to be a muffled demo of Colin Moulding humming to himself while having a bath. Turn this off!"

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 02, 2017, 12:46:01 PM
I once played this on a crappy portable tape recorder during a long car journey to Wales with my then girlfriend. I remember her saying, "I love XTC with all my heart but even I draw the line at listening to what appears to be a muffled demo of Colin Moulding humming to himself while having a bath. Turn this off!"

If my wife told me to turn XTC off. Divorce.

She's had to endure me repeat listening to Skylarking

Brundle-Fly

...N E R D Z  A L E R T ... N E R D Z  A L E R T... N E R D Z  A L E R T...
http://www.xtclimelight.com

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 05, 2017, 10:35:16 PM

...N E R D Z  A L E R T ... N E R D Z  A L E R T... N E R D Z  A L E R T...
http://www.xtclimelight.com

That's my birthday sorted :)

Crabwalk

Phwoar, I'll have some of that!

I'm vicariously enjoying Dr Syntax's journey of discovery. Has he reached the Dukes yet, I wonder? Keep us informed.

I'm doing some work in Abbey Road Studios next week, first time inside, and I'm as excited by the fact I'll be in the place where the strings in 'I Can't Own Her' were recorded [nb]presumably Studio 1?[/nb] as by anything else in the place's history.

'Like the swirling sky...'

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 06, 2017, 01:11:11 AM
Phwoar, I'll have some of that!

I'm vicariously enjoying Dr Syntax's journey of discovery. Has he reached the Dukes yet, I wonder? Keep us informed.

I'm doing some work in Abbey Road Studios next week, first time inside, and I'm as excited by the fact I'll be in the place where the strings in 'I Can't Own Her' were recorded [nb]presumably Studio 1?[/nb] as by anything else in the place's history.

Ask if you can go into the studio's echo chamber, Crab.

Eerie.

daf

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 06, 2017, 01:11:11 AM
Pthe place where the strings in 'I Can't Own Her' were recorded

All thanks to the Womble King - Top gent!

QuoteTB: How did Dave and Colin feel about it?

AP: I think they were okay about it. I don't remember getting a huge rush of, "Wow, yeah, we've got to do this one." So, maybe they weren't so keen on it. But certainly Haydn said it was his favorite thing on the record, potentially. "We must do this song."

TB: Interesting. I didn't know he was that passionate about it.

AP: He loved it. And, hearing it again yesterday, first time in ages, I give all the credit to Mike Batt, the part-time Womble and arranger.

For me, the arrangement is the core of the song of the song. After Dave left the band, Colin and I just looked at each other, then looked at Haydn, and said, "Well, what the fuck are we going to do now? We're supposed to be doing the orchestral volume of this record, and we don't have the arrangements for this." You know, we only had my sketched-out stuff from the demos.

Haydn kicked in, and said, "Look, I know a great arranger, and he owes me some favors, because I've done a lot of bits and pieces for him over the last few years. It's Mike Batt."

TB: Had you been aware of him anyway?

AP: Sure. He kept cropping up on various projects -- the Wombles was only one of them. So, he called Mike, and said, "Look, we've got Abbey Road and an orchestra booked, and we haven't got the arrangements for these few songs. Can you do something?" And [chuckling] Mike obviously knew he owned Haydn some favors, so he said, "Sure! I'll do them."

I spoke to Mike a couple of times on the phone, and sent him the demos, and he worked a little bit on them. He'd call me up, and I would sit with a guitar on my lap and the phone under my chin, while he was sat at the piano at his end with the phone, and he'd play me what he had.

With this one, I knew that I wanted the "swirling sky" to be very passionate -- I wanted it to sound like a sped-up film of boiling clouds, and at the same time I wanted it to be like hair in water, swirling and dancing around. He'd be playing me some things, and I'd be saying, "Okay, when you do that run-up, can you make that bit more whatever," and he'd say, "Okay, how about this?" And I'd say, "Good, now try that." And together, we worked on these things on the phone for an hour or two.

And then he'd call me back and say, "Okay, is this more like it?" And I'd say, "Yeah, that's good," and he'd say, "Well, imagine this hand here is what the woodwind is doing, and this line here is what the cello is doing, and this line is the violins," and all that. So, I had to imagine it from him playing it on the piano down the phone. It wasn't until we got to the one mad day at Abbey Road, to do all the orchestral stuff for the whole album, that I actually got to hear the arrangement. And I can say that my socks were well and truly blown off!

TB: Of all the arrangements, I think he really put his mark on this one.

AP: He really did. This is a master arranger at work here, taking your chords and your pictorial sentiment -- "I want it to be all gray there, and that's got to swirl, and then there's got to be a release at that point, and I still want a heavy suggestion of this hanging note here. He did a phenomenal job -- I was almost in tears, listening to this orchestra playing this stuff. I was just so thrilled.

TB: I can imagine. Even now, as many times as I've heard the album, I still get a thrill at the base of my spine when they do that "swirling sky" swell...

AP: Oh, it's phenomenal stuff! And I really felt unworthy. I thought, "This is my wretched body, dressed in the nicest material, the best cut of cloth" -- do you know what I mean? It's velvet and ermine and jewels, and it's just my stinking carcass.

TB: [laughing] Oh c'mon, despite what they say, clothes don't make the man. You still need a solid person underneath.

AP: I just felt so humbled, that my basic little idea of a song had this phenomenally pictorial arrangement, which I'd only heard little sonic glimpses of down a telephone. To me, he made this track happen.

And he didn't even hang around so we could thank him! After we did the largest orchestrations, which he conducted, he then ran off, because he had to catch a plane to Germany. So, he just came in, waved his baton around a few times, and ran out! [laughs]

TB: [laughing] Who was that masked conductor?

AP: [laughing] And why was he waving his baton at me?

Yeah, totally and utterly fantastic job he did. And if ever he needs a favor out of me, he should call me, because -- damn, I owe him one for that.
http://chalkhills.org/articles/XTCFans20100131.html

Crabwalk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 06, 2017, 11:34:32 AM
Ask if you can go into the studio's echo chamber, Crab.

Eerie.

Yes, I will try to get up there if I can. It's right up at the top of the building isn't it?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 07, 2017, 11:09:15 PM
Yes, I will try to get up there if I can. It's right up at the top of the building isn't it?

How'd it go?

Meanwhile....

https://www.wegottickets.com/f/10845

and some very exciting stuff in the XTC pipeline coming soon...

They really knew how to sell themselves.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 15, 2017, 12:59:27 AM
How'd it go?

It was faaaantastic, thanks! Got to wander around all three studios and the filming I was doing was based in the control room of Studio 3. Wow, what a place!

One of the things I was there for was to shoot an interview with Howard Goodall talking about The Beatles, and he was a lovely bloke. His Sgt Pepper's documentary that airs in a few weeks sounds like it's going to be amazing. He's been sifting through all of the original sessions and some cracking stuff is going to be featured in the doc by the sounds of it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Rich Uncle Skeleton

https://mobile.twitter.com/xtcfans/status/862033316517732352

QuoteHeard first Steven Wilson stereo mixes of forthcoming latest XTC surround series. Mmmmm, noisy.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 16, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
It was faaaantastic, thanks! Got to wander around all three studios and the filming I was doing was based in the control room of Studio 3. Wow, what a place!

One of the things I was there for was to shoot an interview with Howard Goodall talking about The Beatles, and he was a lovely bloke. His Sgt Pepper's documentary that airs in a few weeks sounds like it's going to be amazing. He's been sifting through all of the original sessions and some cracking stuff is going to be featured in the doc by the sounds of it.

Howard Goodall certainly knows his onions. Sounded like a great day out.

Crabwalk

It was indeed. Anyway, back on topic....

A half hour doc on Andy Partridge is airing on R4 next Tuesday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r1tsz

Quote'The Voices of' Series 2: Andy Partridge

An intimate portrait of the songwriter, singer and frontman of the new wave rock band XTC, Andy Partridge.

Brought up on a council estate in Swindon, Andy Partridge's escape from the poverty of his working class upbringing followed a classic path - art and music. At 15, he enrolled in what he calls the 'art floor' of the local college - Swindon didn't boast an actual art college. Then, he discovered the magnetic power of carrying around his Dad's old guitar. He didn't even have to play it to find himself the centre of attention.

In the years that followed - and in the wake of the punk explosion - he tasted celebrity and success with his band XTC. His curious vocal style and angular compositions were distinctive and influential. XTC built a cult status with songs such as Making Plans for Nigel and Senses Working Overtime, as well as albums including the acclaimed Skylarking.

But Swindon didn't lose Andy for long, despite the lure of London and New York. He lives there still, now with his American partner. And he's still writing songs - including for the recent album by the reformed Monkees.

In this programme, he talks about the trajectory of his career and the 'art blood' that has consistently flowed through his veins.

Produced by Alan Hall
A Falling Tree production for BBC Radio 4.

Doubt it'll hold many surprises for the faithful but nice for some mainstream recognition to start trickling in.

iamcoop

Consider another convert from this thread. I've had Drums and Wires and Black Sea for years but I've completely and utterly fallen in love with English Settlement and Skylarking in the last couple of weeks.

It properly clicked, sat on a bench in a park at dusk that overlooks the whole city and 1000 umbrellas came on. Fucking magnificent.

Black_Bart

QuoteIt was indeed. Anyway, back on topic....

Not a massive fan of XTC, but this is interesting. Didn't know he was a valium addict from 13.

Crabwalk

Ha, Andy kicked off on twitter because the doc featured three Colin songs. I can see why that'd irritate him to be fair.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 24, 2017, 05:54:16 PM
Ha, Andy kicked off on twitter because the doc featured three Colin songs. I can see why that'd irritate him to be fair.

More irritating for Colin, I'd imagine.

Howj Begg

Xtc are brilliant.

English settlement is my jam. but so are black sea, and drums and wires, and GO2....

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 17, 2017, 08:10:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up, really enjoyed it.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 24, 2017, 07:22:51 PM
More irritating for Colin, I'd imagine.

Probably! Although the royalties may soften the blow I suppose.

non capisco

Have these been posted already? Fun audio interviews of Andy and John Leckie reminiscing about the making of the Dukes Of Stratosphear albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN0R450zJVw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFVO74Khn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLb7V7oCXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpqciMR0tfw

I love the bit about how they had a sound effects tape on one channel at all times so the neighing horse on 'Mole From The Ministry' is just something they faded up at random for the fuck of it and could have potentially been anything.

iamcoop

Decided to do the hour and a half walk home from work as opposed to the 20 minute drive as it's been  lovely day and I just couldn't wait to listen to XTC all the way home.

They're one of those bands aren't they? How the fuck did I get to 30 without this music in my life? One of those bands all the hyperbolic phrases like "life affirming" were made for.

Thank you for this thread. Reckon I've discovered another great love of my life.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: iamcoop on May 25, 2017, 12:59:41 AM
Decided to do the hour and a half walk home from work as opposed to the 20 minute drive as it's been  lovely day and I just couldn't wait to listen to XTC all the way home.

They're one of those bands aren't they? How the fuck did I get to 30 without this music in my life? One of those bands all the hyperbolic phrases like "life affirming" were made for.

Thank you for this thread. Reckon I've discovered another great love of my life.

Hopefully without sounding like some middle aged "I was there first" twat because I wasn't as I didn't discover XTC until Making Plans For Nigel in 1979, but it is so gratifying you're feeling the same buzz out them as I was getting all those yonks ago.

Although, you said you had Black Sea and Drums And Wires for years before having this recent epiphany. I wonder why the XTC bug didn't bite earlier? Prefer the later more pastoral stuff?

iamcoop

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 25, 2017, 11:05:33 AM
Hopefully without sounding like some middle aged "I was there first" twat because I wasn't as I didn't discover XTC until Making Plans For Nigel in 1979, but it is so gratifying you're feeling the same buzz out them as I was getting all those yonks ago.

Although, you said you had Black Sea and Drums And Wires for years before having this recent epiphany. I wonder why the XTC bug didn't bite earlier? Prefer the later more pastoral stuff?

To be honest I'm not sure why it took so long. The drummer of my old band used to drum for an XTC tribute band (apparently they once played a fan convention that Stewart Lee made an appearance at) and he was the one that told me to buy Black Sea immediately. I was about 22 then (30 now) and was still really into the skittish new wave-type sound so I enjoyed those records but for some reason didn't really follow up on them.

Im glad for that now as I don't think I was ready for their later stuff at that age - I wasn't bothered by the sublime layered pop sound then.

I guess what swung it was hearing Shaun Keaveny play Earn Enough For Us a couple of months back on 6music and I was hooked. Didn't even realise it was XTC but immediately fell in love. This thread made me think "right, time to give these a proper fucking go" and I'm loving it.

I'm still a new fan, and am still trying to fully absorb the albums one by one but my, it's such a lovely feeling when a group finally clicks for you and you know you've got a massive catalogue to joyfully work your way through.

purlieu

I had something similar. I bought Skylarking and it didn't click at first, but some point a few months later I suddenly realised how incredible it is. I still don't really like anything of their pre-Dukes material*, but everything from '85 onwards I just became obsessed with, and listened to on repeat for months. The older I get, the rarer that happens, so it was a wonderful moment.

*I do enjoy the odd song of course, but on the whole it's all too spiky post-punky for me on the whole.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: iamcoop on May 25, 2017, 08:20:02 PM
The drummer of my old band used to drum for an XTC tribute band

I've known three XTC tribute band drummers in my time. How niche is that claim?

iamcoop

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 25, 2017, 09:41:54 PM
I've known three XTC tribute band drummers in my time. How niche is that claim?

You probably know him then..Can't be many more?!

non capisco

Good to hear more people feel the same obsessive thrall with this band and it's not just me. I got into them last year and I haven't fallen this hard for a band since I was a teenager. My default mode is always listening to new things and discovering new music but there was a period recently when I was honestly happy to listen to 'Black Sea' all day every day. It's one of the most amazingly consistent albums I've ever heard.