Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:57:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Last week Marc Maron interviewed Louis Theroux.
It was a fairly unpleasant listen, but AdBux's podcast does get a brief bit of discussion.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 24, 2017, 07:12:23 AM
Last week Marc Maron interviewed Louis Theroux.
It was a fairly unpleasant listen, but AdBux's podcast does get a brief bit of discussion.

Really? I thought it was relatively lighthearted and an easy listen.

Mini

The first thing Coogan says,
Spoiler alert
about rhubarb, is hilariously Partridgian.
[close]

poo

Buckles and Coogan. Nice. Gonna hold back and savour this one tonight.

ASFTSN

Most recent one is good.  Like most on here I am sure, I always loved Coogan's work - but I like him as a personality more and more each time I hear him interviewed these days.

Enzo

Quote from: ASFTSN on March 24, 2017, 11:29:05 AM
Most recent one is good.  Like most on here I am sure, I always loved Coogan's work - but I like him as a personality more and more each time I hear him interviewed these days.

He seems much more relaxed these days and comes across better as a result. Could say the same for Buckles too.

McFlymo

I can't wait to hear this.

Feels like the waiting and constantly refreshing iTunes in the hope of more Buckles has finally paid off.

And Coogan! What a corker this'll be. Yay.

Incidentally, did anyone else do one of them "ACTUAL LOLs" when Buckles recently said "whoa, it's David Blowie!" in the Christmas Podcast? It just cracked me up so much and was probably my highlight of 2016.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Coogan comes across well in that podcast, but I found it quite disappointing overall. If you've read his autobiography or any of his interviews from the last five years or so, then it's all very familiar.

A pleasant listen, as usual, but Coogan - like most in-demand interviewees - has stock answers for practically every line of enquiry.

Puce Moment

I just wanted this to go on for another hour. Buckles is really familiar with all the different aspects of Coogan's career, and drills into some nice Patridge stuff, but there is so much more to ask him about. Pre-Spitting Image stuff in particular, but also the period in the early 90s when he was doing Paul Calf as his main 'character'.

I basically just want to sit with chin on my hands listening to them doing chat.

hedgehog90

TWAT!
That was liquid podcasting.

Jerzy Bondov

Umm A Cock and Bull Story is not the first time Coogan and Brydon acted together. Cruise of the Gods is the first thing that comes to mind, and he's in IAP series 2 at Lynn's baptism. There's also the 'A Small Summer Party' special of Marion & Geoff, where Coogan plays Geoff, although I don't remember if he actually shares a scene with Brydon. IMDB also tells me that Brydon was in 24 Hour Party People, but again I'm not sure if they share screentime.

Overall a pitiful effort from both Coogan and Buxton and I hope to hear a fulsome apology from Adam at the end of the next podcast.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 29, 2017, 01:37:05 PMIMDB also tells me that Brydon was in 24 Hour Party People, but again I'm not sure if they share screentime.

They do. Brydon plays a journalist who asks Coogan/Tony Wilson leading questions about Joy Division's name while Ian Curtis has a seizure in the dressing room. Then at the penultimate scene outside the Hacienda he asks questions about Tony Wilson's apparent failure in life, only to be left outside in the rain as Wilson swans inside with his girlfriend. In fact I think Brydon only has screentime with Coogan in 24HPP.

The Roofdog

I love that scene at the Durutti Column gig

"Got to stop him singing Tony. It's very poor. Very poor."
"It's provocative."
"Provocatively poor."

yesitsme

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 28, 2017, 04:51:27 PM
Coogan comes across well in that podcast, but I found it quite disappointing overall. If you've read his autobiography or any of his interviews from the last five years or so, then it's all very familiar.

A pleasant listen, as usual, but Coogan - like most in-demand interviewees - has stock answers for practically every line of enquiry.

I was thinking that.  There has to be a time coming soon where podcasting is going to eat itself.  You come on mine, I'll come on yours, we'll both get Jimmy Carr and hey presto you can click on the donate button.

Buckles (for instance) must have been interviewd enough times to know there are questions he gets asked all the time so perhaps he could try not asking a popular subject about 'How he got started'

I listened to the ComComPod with Russel Brand and 1) He was clinking and clanking cups throughout - I'd ban that* and 2) He never ONCE asked him about what Katy Perry was like in the sack.**

* - The Katy Wix episode was unlistenable to because she was eating fucking carrots all the way through it like that woman on the Slimfast radio ads 'Mmm, mmm, mummmmm'

I will offer my services to all podcasters to tell their hot shot guests to knock it off for one fucking hour.

** - I would have.

Utter Shit

The problem with Coogan is that Partridge is still the most interesting thing about him, but is clearly (and understandably) the thing he's least interested in talking about. To the extent that not only have I heard his answers to most of the questions before, but I've heard all his rebuttals to questions that haven't even been asked. I think this is the third interview (one of the others was Herring, forget the third) where Coogan has given the same response regarding the overlap between him and Partridge, even though the question wasn't really asked.

That said, he was in unusually relaxed form, nowhere near as spiky as he often seems, and I was both surprised and a little disappointed when it ended so suddenly.

I love Adam and everything but a lot of these just aren't worth listening to. He's too polite to probe, so it comes down to the interviewee to make the actually conversations interesting. The Matt Berry episode in particular was annoying because he seemed so guarded, and also glib about everything he'd done. Kathy Burke was a missed opportunity. The only one I really enjoyed was Louis Theroux, but largely thats because he's so disarmingly affable in contrast to his onscreen persona.

Wet Blanket

Yeah the best Bucko podcasts are the ones where he just shoots the shit with his showbiz mates, like Joe Cornish, Louis Theroux and Garth Jennings. I find it quite interesting hearing slebs talking about everyday stuff unrelated to their day jobs, like Louis on being told off by his dad (who it goes unremarked is a world famous writer). Think this is an avenue not exploited enough in most interviews; he should pursue it with all his guests.

Mango Chimes

Isn't the problem (such as it is) just that you FUCKING NERDS know too much about some of these interviewees?  An hour with someone like Coogan is only going to get you a variation on an hour with Coogan; he's not going to break into a falsetto singalong of Yes Sir, I Can Boogie because Adam knows he's only got an hour and Coogan is speaking guardedly to an interviewer rather than a chum.

As hours with Coogan go, I thought it was a good one and worthwhile in being an enjoyable chat. He reflected Buxton's affability and didn't seem as pissy as he got in recent Herring and Iannucci appearances. I like how Buckles' interviews vary so much, between ones like this, and interesting people I've never heard of, and giggles with his mates.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 29, 2017, 03:14:50 PM
They do. Brydon plays a journalist who asks Coogan/Tony Wilson leading questions about Joy Division's name while Ian Curtis has a seizure in the dressing room. Then at the penultimate scene outside the Hacienda he asks questions about Tony Wilson's apparent failure in life, only to be left outside in the rain as Wilson swans inside with his girlfriend. In fact I think Brydon only has screentime with Coogan in 24HPP.
Thanks, i don't think I've seen it since it came out. The podcast made me want to watch it again though.

phantom_power

Quote from: clingfilm portent on March 29, 2017, 04:38:00 PM
I love Adam and everything but a lot of these just aren't worth listening to. He's too polite to probe, so it comes down to the interviewee to make the actually conversations interesting. The Matt Berry episode in particular was annoying because he seemed so guarded, and also glib about everything he'd done. Kathy Burke was a missed opportunity. The only one I really enjoyed was Louis Theroux, but largely thats because he's so disarmingly affable in contrast to his onscreen persona.

I think the opposite is true, sort of. His affable nature means you are more likely to get to the real person behind the celebrity rather than the stock answers. Someone like Coogan is never likely to drop the facade but it works with other interviewees.

If you are listening to Buckles for a probing interview then you are going to the wrong place

Scrapey Fish

I also love Buxton but thought this one was a bit deferential.

Herring gets his share of criticism on here but on his day, his irreverent style and emergency questions are quite effective at taking guests out of their comfort zone and pushing things in unusual directions

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 29, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
I love that scene at the Durutti Column gig

Oh yeah forgot about that one!

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 29, 2017, 07:16:39 PM
Thanks, i don't think I've seen it since it came out. The podcast made me want to watch it again though.

It's definitely worth a rewatch.

olliebean

New episode up with Claudia O'Doherty.

Crabwalk

Oh wow, this should be brilliant!

The Coogan one was a bit of a damp squib due to so much of it being covered in 'Easily Distracted' - plus Buckles seeming a bit nervous around a hero. He should've recorded the tour of Coogan's Sports Cars. And kept asking about fruit and vegetables.

turnstyle

Pretty sure she called him David during the Trump bit...

non capisco

Enjoyed her assertion that Uber are 'evil', given how suspiciously frequently Uber are mentioned in nearly every episode of Love.

A pleasant enough chat but nothing of real interest in this one. Buckles was engaging as ever but Bertie didn't seem to give too much of a toss. Best bit was Adam talking about his bike woes.

Noddy Tomkey

Did it sound like O'Doherty was well up for a bit of Buckles to anybody else? I was getting quite turned on, imagine a woman liking you...

Sin Agog

I got that vibe, too.  It was the one time he shouldn't have said, "My wife", but he did.

Ringside

I did think that too, but eventually decided I was just being a typical male twat...."Ooh she's up for it!".

...or was she?