Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango Chimes

I thought they sounded like friends. I enjoyed the pro-heroin chat.

MOLLOY

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 29, 2017, 05:51:57 PM
Isn't the problem (such as it is) just that you FUCKING NERDS know too much about some of these interviewees?  An hour with someone like Coogan is only going to get you a variation on an hour with Coogan; he's not going to break into a falsetto singalong of Yes Sir, I Can Boogie because Adam knows he's only got an hour and Coogan is speaking guardedly to an interviewer rather than a chum.

As hours with Coogan go, I thought it was a good one and worthwhile in being an enjoyable chat. He reflected Buxton's affability and didn't seem as pissy as he got in recent Herring and Iannucci appearances. I like how Buckles' interviews vary so much, between ones like this, and interesting people I've never heard of, and giggles with his mates.

I agree with this. You ARE all nerds and most normal people haven't heard every single Coogan interview there's ever been. I found it illuminating and interesting. Made me want to watch 24 Hour Party People again.

Crabwalk

Quote from: MOLLOY on April 03, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
I agree with this. You ARE all nerds and most normal people haven't heard every single Coogan interview there's ever been. I found it illuminating and interesting. Made me want to watch 24 Hour Party People again.

Well, Adam Buxton's work has always been squarely aimed at what you term 'nerds'[nb]pretty much a meaningless term nowadays anyhow, and an especially redundant insult. Plus, if anyone's a 'nerd is Dr Buckles himself.[/nb] so it's hardly surprising that 'we' are evaluating his output on a COMEDY DISCUSSION FORUM.

Crabwalk

A two-parter with Eno! Dream combo for me.

amoral

I enjoyed that a lot. How Adam remained so calm is beyond me. Also I'd never heard of Gavin Bryars. Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet is so beautiful.

Duckula

I get mildly frustrated sometimes with Buxton - on the Claudia O'Doherty episode he seemed to be complaining that they made him get drunk for the television show Drunk History - maybe don't take the gig then?

Mini

Quote from: Duckula on April 07, 2017, 01:02:49 PM
I get mildly frustrated sometimes with Buxton - on the Claudia O'Doherty episode he seemed to be complaining that they made him get drunk for the television show Drunk History - maybe don't take the gig then?

I didn't take that as complaining really, just describing how odd it was.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mini on April 07, 2017, 01:21:47 PM
I didn't take that as complaining really, just describing how odd it was.

Yeah the story was based around his supposition that they wouldn't really get him too drunk, and how wrong he ended up being

Puce Moment

I have been relistening to these and really enjoyed them a lot. Surprisingly, the Marc Riley one is really good. Another that I wanted to continue for another hour. Now listening to the Jon Ronson one and is is also fantastic.

In the Ayoade cast they discuss Woody Allen at length (as they do in the Ronson one) and I found it quite unsettling. I don't quite know how to react to the Woody Allen issue (Ronson actually articulates this crisis extremely well as two moral positions colliding) but I found their discussion quite status based - I think Ayoade should simply admit that he likes his films thanks to the benefits of cognitive dissonance.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 07, 2017, 02:04:40 PM
In the Ayoade cast they discuss Woody Allen at length (as they do in the Ronson one) and I found it quite unsettling. I don't quite know how to react to the Woody Allen issue (Ronson actually articulates this crisis extremely well as two moral positions colliding) but I found their discussion quite status based

How do you mean?

Just listened to Eno pt 1 - quite good, I always like hearing his thoughts about creativity in general.  Any creative types ever used his Oblique Strategies?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 07, 2017, 02:39:03 PM
Any creative types ever used his Oblique Strategies?

Yes, and listening to this today reminded me to start using them again.  As he says in the interview they're very good as jumping off points to send you in directions you wouldn't have otherwise gone in, rather than being instructions that you should follow to the letter.  The ones like 'Go against your instincts' or 'What wouldn't you do?' are good for inspiring you to genuinely experiment and try new things.

hedgehog90

DrGreggles

EP.39 - JULIAN BARRATT & GARTH JENNINGS

Spiteface

I like these podcasts, even if it's someone I don't know much about/have little interest in. There's just something really pleasant about them. The Podcasting equivalent of comfort food...

PlasticTom

Buxton knocks it out of the park again, although Zadie Smith is as much responsible for the brilliance of the latest one. I could listen to those two chat casually for hours. The Bobby Shmurda bit had me in hysterics.

Wet Blanket

Really enjoyed the Zadie Smith one. As I said above my favourites are when he shoots the shit with famous people and gets them to talk about stuff not entirely associated with their work. Now I know that Jonathan Franzen and David Foster Wallace once played Marco Polo together in their underpants[nb]She probably meant trunks,but still...[/nb]

I thought she sounded quite flirty too. Reckon Dr Buckles brings out the flirt gene in all of his guests (and I don't blame them)

Sin Agog

Looks like Louis Theroux actually managed to convince Marc Maron to do Adam's pod (Louis said that Adam desperately wanted to have him on during his Wtf ep from a few weeks back).  It's weird seeing things calcify from a casual line about wanting to interview Marc on one of Adam's RHLSTP appearances, to Maron saying, 'Yeah, I know him' whenever a British comedian referenced Buxton, to it finally actually happening.  Now to listen.

Gottdammmit.  First twenty minutes are already filled up with turntable buzz talk.  Easily the nadir of WTF intro topics...now infecting Adam's perfectly fine pod.  Sure it'll get better soon, though.

lankyguy95

Enjoyed it as usual. I think I have a blind spot when it comes to Buxton though - I just like him so much that I can't really fail to enjoy what he does.

thugler

Thought it was going really badly early on, just pretty tedious chat, and Maron goes on and on about virtually any topic, but became a bit more interesting later on.

popcorn

Sometimes in these Adam jumps on a funny phrase and does it in a slightly silly voice and the other guest has no idea what happened and ignores it. Particularly American guests, even comedians. It happens with a phrase involving a basket in the Maron one, I think, can't remember now. I find it depressing every time.

TheManOne

It's my loss entirely, but just the nasal droning tone of Maron has stopped me from listening to much WTF.

DrGreggles

Haven't listed to the Maron one yet, as it's the first one where Buckles has interviewed someone that I know I don't like.
I'm sure I'll get round to it one day.

PaulTMA

Interesting that Buxton tactfully gets Maron to admit he never does any research for his podcasts.  I've sat through a fair few of them now, all musical guests of whom Maron knows 2 or 3 of their albums which he played while in college.  Otherwise his knowledge of their career output falls way short of what you would expect from an interviewer.  Gets pretty yawnsome each time he manages to get a potentially interesting interviewee.  My worst nightmare would be to not have the option to skip through his skull-scrapingly dull sponsorship messages or worse yet, the bit where he talks about his own life before the guest appears.  Jesus wept.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 01, 2017, 05:46:48 PM
Interesting that Buxton tactfully gets Maron to admit he never does any research for his podcasts.  I've sat through a fair few of them now, all musical guests of whom Maron knows 2 or 3 of their albums which he played while in college.  Otherwise his knowledge of their career output falls way short of what you would expect from an interviewer.

Maron in an outro: "Wow... he's a little prickly, that Todd Rundgren, but I enjoyed talking to him."  He'd have been a little less prickly if you'd known more about him and shut your mouth for more than 10 seconds at a time.

SteveDave

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on May 01, 2017, 11:30:22 PM
Maron in an outro: "Wow... he's a little prickly, that Todd Rundgren, but I enjoyed talking to him."  He'd have been a little less prickly if you'd known more about him and shut your mouth for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Abso-bloody-exactly. I can't stand listening to WTF?

I would've liked it if Adam Buxton did no research and kept asking stupid questions followed up with "ME TOO!" replies.

Maron listing songs he had on his playlist at the end was bloody interminable. Buckles encouraged him to keep going too!

Stonefish

Maron seemed like Buckle's white whale. It was good to see this pop up. Is this a prisoner exchange, will Adam be on WTF now?

Crabwalk

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 02, 2017, 11:28:05 AM
Maron listing songs he had on his playlist at the end was bloody interminable. Buckles encouraged him to keep going too!

Did give me a huge laugh though when he listed
Spoiler alert
'Fly Away' by Lenny Kravitz
[close]

PaulTMA

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 02, 2017, 02:08:19 PM
Did give me a huge laugh though when he listed
Spoiler alert
'Fly Away' by Lenny Kravitz
[close]

lol yes.  I recall there was another one where afterwards there was a nanosecond of silence where Buxton usually would have said "oh yes" but didn't, as it's something you'd imagine he'd probably think was mince.

Crabwalk

He winced at
Spoiler alert
Kravitz
[close]
being raised by Zadie Smith in just the previous podcast too!