Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beach

Adam Buxton is a ponce. I particularly enjoyed the recent episode with Julian Barratt. Hearing how Adam drove all the way to the screening of Mindhorn only to be told to fuck off! Would have paid to be there ツ

Mango Chimes

I like WTF, it's good and Maron's good at it. Was odd hearing him here essentially on houseguest best behaviour. I hope Adam is on WTF at some point, and Maron brings up his failed quest to get on the show the other year; I guess it was too awkward for Adam to raise here, but it could be a fun discussion.

Pranet

Quote from: Stonefish on May 02, 2017, 02:04:18 PM
Maron seemed like Buckle's white whale. It was good to see this pop up. Is this a prisoner exchange, will Adam be on WTF now?

Not according to Adam Buxton's blog, at least not yet.

I understand why people don't like Marc Maron, but I still think he does some good interviews. On balance I think he is a good thing. And you people who don't like him have no idea how annoyed it is possible to get with him after listening to what in my case is probably over 700 episodes (I have not listened to all of the early ones, but I have listened to some of them and I think all of them after about episode 100.)

I agree that it was interesting to hear the difference in his tone of voice when he is being interviewed. Content wise not much new (which isn't surprising, see previous paragraph.)

He has actually talked about attitude to research several times on WTF, it is a bit more complex than "never doing any research".

Hat FM

weird that dr buckles desire and failure to get on wtf has led to him actually having maron on his pod. to me it seems the same as inviting your favourite chef round for dinner when you can't get into his restaurant. I'm sure maron has a lot to tell other podcasters about his experiences but not sure if its worthy of releasing to the world.

You know who i would like to hear on either this or RHLSTP? Noel Gallagher. he seems like a laugh,

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Hat FM on May 03, 2017, 01:59:47 PM
You know who i would like to hear on either this or RHLSTP? Noel Gallagher. he seems like a laugh,

Me too, and also Harry Hill, who very rarely does interviews but on the few snippets i've seen of him out of character comes across as a really interesting bloke.

Quote from: Beach on May 02, 2017, 06:18:31 PM
I particularly enjoyed the recent episode with Julian Barratt. Hearing how Adam drove all the way to the screening of Mindhorn only to be told to fuck off!

I was surprised by how Julian Barratt came across. He sounded like he'd rather be pretty much anywhere else. There was a moment where Adam and Jennings were riffing on something, and Barratt gave them the most mirthless laugh.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 03, 2017, 02:46:02 PM
I was surprised by how Julian Barratt came across. He sounded like he'd rather be pretty much anywhere else. There was a moment where Adam and Jennings were riffing on something, and Barratt gave them the most mirthless laugh.

Nah, I think he's just shy and his social awkwardness can come off as aloof. Adam did mention he was nervous about appearing on the podcast.

Shit Good Nose

Yeurk, I can't stand Maron.  I've tried, REALLY hard, for years to get into WTF, right back when it was constantly singled out as being THE best, if not ONLY podcast worth listening to, but I've never connected with him at all.  I honestly don't get why people rate him, and particularly the podcast, so highly.  Likewise his standup - tried several times, but never mustered more than the occasional smile.

I will still listen, though, for Buckles alone.

Sin Agog

I like how he can really get into the emotional nitty-gritty with some guests, especially women.  Those interviews tend to be his best.  Sure, a lot of the things said are regurgitated shrink shite, but there's still a bit more to hang onto than silly middle-class English bloke podcasters who get all frazzled when things get a little heavy (not that there's not a place for that).  The recent Anne Hathaway interview was a good example, but I think there are a bunch more in a similar vein with peoples like Laura Dern, Patricia Arquette and the like.  Plus, and I think Buxton mentioned this on one of his podcasts, a lot of WTF interviews really feel like they have the arc of a great movie: the pressure slowly builds up, with a couple of quippy release valves, before you finally get to breathe again come the end.  Just feels more substantial than a lot of other interviews.  Of course there is a fair bit of middling 'Who are your guys?' filler to wade through as well.  And I dunno if people still use the word 'rockist' anymore, but it pretty much describes Maron in one word.  I bet he has an account on the Steve Hoffman forums.

Neomod

The streams of A&J and Comedy Bang Bang converge in the latest episode with Nick Kroll.

Phil_A

There's also another episode before that one with Bridget Christie.

non capisco

Quote from: Neomod on May 13, 2017, 03:35:56 PM
The streams of A&J and Comedy Bang Bang converge in the latest episode with Nick Kroll.

Someday the two separate variations on "MY WIFE" may become one.

Kroll sounded like a nice fella. Don't think I've ever heard him speak out of character before.

cacciaguida

which episode of cbb are you on about?

phantom_power

There is a rather serious new podcast up with Adam Curtis. I am finding it very interesting and informative

dr beat

Haven't listened to the Curtis one yet but looking forward to it.

TheManOne

That was a belter. Adam B actually being challenging at times too, which was good. Must watch Bitter Lake again.

mrfridge

Loved this. Regardless of what you think of his output, Adam Curtis certainly has a fascinating world view. I could happily listen to a full series of the two Adams chatting, although I could say that about pretty much all of Buxton's podcast guests.

It wasn't exactly laugh a minute this one, but all the better for it. I think Buckles was definitely challenged at times but had a fair crack at defending his (much like my own) middle class liberal perspective. Lovely stuff.

Avril Lavigne

Very interesting stuff, although Curtis' whole 'are we using the internet or is it using us' thing made him sound his age.

phantom_power

Curtis is one of those people who is so intelligent that he makes me feel stupid, but in a good way, like I need to learn more. He thinks beyond the obvious and has interesting opinions on things that aren't just for effect but have real thought and consideration behind them. I haven't seen any of his documentaries but really want to now

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: phantom_power on May 19, 2017, 10:39:54 PM
Curtis is one of those people who is so intelligent that he makes me feel stupid, but in a good way, like I need to learn more. He thinks beyond the obvious and has interesting opinions on things that aren't just for effect but have real thought and consideration behind them. I haven't seen any of his documentaries but really want to now

Start with Century of the Self.

non capisco

A fascinating and absorbing listen (and also not without its humorous moments. I laughed when Curtis responded to Buckles saying 'I'm Not The Man I Used To Be' by Fine Young Cannibals makes him cry with "You like that, do you?!")

Haven't seen Bitter Lake or Hypernormalisation yet, will amend that forthwith.

mrfridge

Not sure if they're on Youtube anyway but I've got pretty much all of the Curtis documentaries up to Bitter Lake in a Dropbox folder if anyone's interested? PM away :)

Custard

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on May 01, 2017, 11:30:22 PM
Maron in an outro: "Wow... he's a little prickly, that Todd Rundgren, but I enjoyed talking to him."  He'd have been a little less prickly if you'd known more about him and shut your mouth for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Yeah, that's why I just can't get into Maron or his podcasts. He never fucking shuts up about himself

Phil_A

I think Curtis makes a really good point about people wanting to restore "magic" to the world as a response to everything becoming more greyly practical and utilitarian. I think that's partly the reason why threads about weird shit, unexplained phenomena etc are so popular, beneath our surface scepticism part of us wants to believe there could be something more to the world than just tedious practicalities of day-to-day living.

kidsick5000

Adam Curtis is younger than I expected him to be.
Nick Kroll was nice.

Both lovely podcasts.

There is a wobble of concern for young Mr Buxton though. You alright Adam? There seems to be some increased lingering on death there.

phantom_power

Quote from: non capisco on May 20, 2017, 09:24:38 AM
A fascinating and absorbing listen (and also not without its humorous moments. I laughed when Curtis responded to Buckles saying 'I'm Not The Man I Used To Be' by Fine Young Cannibals makes him cry with "You like that, do you?!")

Haven't seen Bitter Lake or Hypernormalisation yet, will amend that forthwith.

They are both on iPlayer at the moment

TheManOne

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 20, 2017, 04:38:02 PM
There is a wobble of concern for young Mr Buxton though. You alright Adam? There seems to be some increased lingering on death there.

I suppose. However it's still only a year or so since his dad died and, being of a similar age, I find I linger on it more and more. Only thing to look forward to really.

thenoise

What were you up to in Bristol Buxtie?  You should have called me up.

ASFTSN

The Adam Curtis one is the best by far - fascinating bloke.  I think he's almost more interesting when interviewed than when making documentaries.  Sign of a good interview when I had a load of points where I wanted to ask him to elaborate on a point or elucidate on something more.

Really enjoyed the Adam Curtis one too. Love that Buckles doesn't feel the need to cram jokes in to make it a 'comedy' podcast and lets the conversations flow.

Also think it's a sign of a quality product when you don't agree with all the points made but you respect the way they were made. Need more of that sort of output these days.