Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music you consider is shit for cunts

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 30, 2015, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

re: the reggae discussion

Reggae is fucking arse. Dub is pretty good if you're stoned out of your gourd with a minirig and a field and a load of your mates, but elsewhere its impact is significantly miniminsed, and the rest of it - reggae, ska, bashment, reggaeton, dancehall, all of it - is total gobshite.

The aforementioned staples are indeed abhorrent: the Buju Banton searing homophobia and misogyny, the rastafarianism which I have FUCK ALL interest in, and smoking weed which, although being something I personally enjoy, is completely ruined just like in all other instances where anyone ever decides that talking about the merits of drugs is a good idea. We get it, you smoke weed. Who the fuck cares, either shut up and pass me the spliff or I'm going home. I'd happily be sober over having to endure another "weed kills cancer" lecture. How to instanty ruin being stoned for nagsworth in one easy step: put some reggae on. The rest of it, like the eeeasy vibes, the good lovin', the FUCKING half step guitar strum, it's all complete crap. I've met less detestable people at squat parties than I have die-hard reggae fans, and I've met some seriously awful freeloading toothless middle-aged squatting-because-it's-cool-with-no-real-agenda number 23-fellating CUNTS at squat parties.

Fuck ska as well. Ska is literally the music of idiots.

I don't even give a fuck about a new page suck my dick reggae turkeys

alan nagsworth

While I'm on the subject, I went to a Boiler Room gig the other night because I'm cool as hell and I get invited to stuff like that. It was a Deep Medi night - and let me tell you now that dubstep in its proper form is the ONLY good thing to have ever spawned off waaay down the line from reggae - and the opening act was two fucking white turds paying massive homage to white reggae. I think they were called Dubkasm. One of them was intermittently MCing about the importance of reggae and talking in a half-Bristol half-Jamaican accent while the other one was playing the fucking melodica and the saxophone over a bunch of 140bpm electronic reggae.

Now, Boiler Room is a gig where the decks are kind of in the middle and the fans can get behind them as well as in front, and the whole thing is filmed. We got a decent spot behind the decks right by the sound system which was totally on point all night, and it pained me so much to be potentially on film stood so close to these fucking chimps, pretending to at least sway to the music so I didn't look like someone who'd accidentally wandered in off the streets, just so I could keep this spot secure for the rest of the night, which incidentally was fantastic once Mala and Gantz played. This set, though, I HATED IT. The shit the guy was spouting, the awful music, the CROWD of PREDOMINANTLY WHITE HIPSTER YOUTHS bopping away, pouting and making all sorts of irie riddim gestures, FUCKS SAKE. Unbelievably embarrassing.

REGGAE IS SHIT

Dirty Boy

Nu-metal, emo, cock rock, mainstream country music, mainstream 'indie', happy hardcore, all those oi and punk/HC bands that never evolved and kept on churning out the same old wank for an audience of shitheads.

and Crabcore!

I think most genres have their merits really. I'm not a reggae or ska fan either, but like The Specials and some Lee Perry at least.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 31, 2015, 06:12:09 PM
REGGAE IS SHIT

This might change your mind, nags. I defy anyone to completely write off the genre once they've heard the majesty of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7Z20fJH6I

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on October 31, 2015, 06:16:09 PM
This might change your mind, nags. I defy anyone to completely write off the genre once they've heard the majesty of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7Z20fJH6I

It's not the hour long version so I can't really jam to it mate, sorry. Barely any time to find my groove.

The fact that people have to slag off white people in dreads when going on about how much they hate reggae makes me laugh. Its a buffer in the style 'I'm-not-racist-but'.

Puce Moment

I can't stand reggae at all, but I adore Dub quite fanatically. They are very different beasts, as far as I'm concerned. Despite the fact that it originates from Dub, reggae for me is too based in conventional 70s rock music structure. For me they are as different as shitty prog rock and krautrock, or grunge and no-wave - or Clannad and Brian Eno.

I'm not sure those help actually, but they do to me.

alan nagsworth

It's nothing to do with genres, clingy, I just hate white people

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 31, 2015, 06:00:05 PM

Fuck ska as well. Ska is literally the music of idiots.

I bet you wouldn't say that to his face.

Oh, Naggers I'm so disappointed in you.  Even Ween have done reggae; although this track is virtually downright racist. Not their finest hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-X_uffOwA

kitsofan34

I can't even fathom how many of my loved ones would have to be held hostage for me to consider giving this album a listen from start to finish.

Crabwalk

These fucking reggae and ska hating dummies will be laying into calypso next.

Get yourselves stuck into A Soul Jazz Records 'Dynamite' compilation or a Trojan boxset you cloth-eared simpletons. Or the soundtrack to 'The Harder They Fall'.

And by the way, buying into the concept of shit for cunts is the best example of shit for cunts available.

DangledTeeth

Grime.

I mainly dislike the cheap-sounding production, composition etc. Nearly all grime MCs have the same tone of voice and only two flows: plain and blabbered. Typically, with the plain flow the rhymes are usually emphasised through intonation and repetition, which causes the 'bars' to sound condescending. The content isn't very absorbing, and the word play is staggeringly shit. Most of the lyrics seem cold-hearted and vicious, which is bolstered negatively by a series of ugly beats. I suspect there are some good grime MCs who don't advocate territorial cuntiness, but I cannot enjoy the other aspects of the genre to ever stumble across positive lyrics.

It's fucking easy to imitate

Man lii' meee
Don't drink tea
Bhut I'm Bri'ish and I like beef.
Bhut wiv me you don't-wanna-have-beEEeeEeef.
Bhut-beef-with-you-ain't-really-beeeeeef.
It's more lii' lamb
But man is still gonna shank you, fam.
These pussios are shook and wet.
Mandem know my alphabet
See, I bet you ain't shot a G.
Cos B, you ain't no G.
Eh? You think it's okay
To talk bare breeze when I've got an AK...
I'm a hitman, man.
I'm spit for my fam, fam.
And get grands, cos that's grand, fam.
Mablanlababbabababbablablafamblabada

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 31, 2015, 06:45:28 PM
reggae for me is too based in conventional 70s rock music structure.

Oh yeah, that reggae.

Baffled.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 31, 2015, 07:18:41 PM
Or the soundtrack to 'The Harder They Fall'.

It's called 'The Harder They Come', dipshit.

Brundle-Fly

The Harder They Fall?

You Can Get It If You Really Want...aaahh

Sam

Nowhere Man

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 31, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
I can't even fathom how many of my loved ones would have to be held hostage for me to consider giving this album a listen from start to finish.

Whats even the point? Frank Sinatra did the same sort of thing[nb]and was vastly more listenable[/nb] sixty years ago. The difference is that it was unique back then.

Nowhere Man

Fucking hell, he really does want to be Frank Sinatra doesn't he?

QuoteWhen Universal Republic Records asked MacFarlane what kind of album he wanted to do, he said "a classic Sinatra-style album". The album was in fact recorded at Capitol Records in the same room that Sinatra had worked. Moreover, MacFarlane recorded the vocals for Music Is Better Than Words with the microphone that Sinatra used on many of his classic albums

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 31, 2015, 07:11:49 PM

I got in a fairly dull argument with a friend about whether South Park or Family Guy was better (me rooting for South Park, him for Family Guy).  The main crux of my argument was that Matt & Trey have far more integrity than Seth "sure I'll host the Oscars" MacFarlane will ever have, and that shows in their work.  I later sent him that picture of the newest album cover, to which his response was:  "Okay, you may have a point."

Seth MacFarlane's music is fucking awful.  Evidently someone told him he had a halfway decent voice (the kind that might get you a small role in an Off-Broadway musical) and he's just fucking gone for it.  It is garbage, wouldn't even be foisted on you at a Starbucks checkout line.  Did you hear that Christmas album he put out last year?  Worse than Michael Bublé.

SteveDave

Foo Fighters- Music for people who don't like music.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Not a particularly controversial opinion, I expect, but I have a visceral dislike of Shawaddywaddy and the rest of that '50s revivalist stuff from the '70s. I find it all really depressing for some reason. Say what you will about Britpop, but I'm glad I grew up with that rather than these doowopping teddy boy wannabes.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dirty Boy on October 31, 2015, 06:13:49 PM
I think most genres have their merits really. I'm not a reggae or ska fan either, but like The Specials and some Lee Perry at least.

I agree. Also African Headcharge.

African Head Charge timbuktu express 1983: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzazfYYYbh8

Damn those exceptions again, eh.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sam on November 01, 2015, 03:54:23 AM
Sleaford Mods

Cringing shite.

You are so wrong you're going to have to retake a year of your life.

daf

hummingofevil

Type "Scumoween" or "Scumtek" into Twitter. I don't thing it would be wildly unreasonable to assume that all involved are cunts, even if they are cunts of varying fragrances. The obviously privately-educated posh kids chanting "we want scum" at a line of coppers whilst chucking stuff at them is a highlight.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 01, 2015, 02:57:17 PM

Say what you will about Britpop, but I'm glad I grew up with that rather than these doowopping teddy boy wannabes.

As opposed to those new-waving mod wannabes? 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dirty Boy on October 31, 2015, 06:13:49 pm

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 01, 2015, 04:48:34 PM
I agree. Also African Headcharge.

African Head Charge timbuktu express 1983: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzazfYYYbh8

Damn those exceptions again, eh.

To be fair, The Specials, (brilliant as they were), are hardly representative of the ska genre as a whole. That would be like saying the only example of funk you like is Jamiroquai (who also did some marvellous singles)

Similarly, African Head Charge would never roll off the tongue as a bog standard reggae act merely because they use dub production values anymore than Jah Wobble would be.

I have no argument with the inclusion of Lee 'Scratch 'Perry though. The word reggae running through him like a stick of rock(ers)

Funcrusher

Dub is reggae. What the fuck are you goons on about?

Dr Rock

I don't like Bob Marley or most of the reggae that came after him. UB40 in the mid 80s was shit for cunts. If anyone wants to critically reclaim them, go for it. But Dub isn't shit for cunts because some of it is great. However there was a point at parties [nb]1987 -1990 parties, London/South East[/nb] when someone would commandeer the music and it was all dub from that point, which I wasn't always in the mood for; but loads of Ska and Trojan stuff is really great. They would do a shonky cover of anything.

Jockice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 01, 2015, 02:57:17 PM
Not a particularly controversial opinion, I expect, but I have a visceral dislike of Shawaddywaddy and the rest of that '50s revivalist stuff from the '70s. I find it all really depressing for some reason. Say what you will about Britpop, but I'm glad I grew up with that rather than these doowopping teddy boy wannabes.

I was a kid when that sort of stuff was happening and I still quite like it. As far as I'm concerned Darts' opening three singles were all classics, a run matched by very few other bands in music history.