Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Idris Elba as Roland Deschain?!

Started by Glebe, December 10, 2015, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

The Frontrunner For Roland In THE DARK TOWER Is Canceling The Apocalypse!

I'm all for Elba as James Bond - we've had plenty of iterations of Bond, a change in ethnicity won't hurt - but I don't think it's in any way politically incorrect to suggest that this doesn't make a lot of sense, although several movie site reports sound positively elated by the idea. I mean, even a white Roland that didn't look like Roland - let's face it, an emaciated Clint Eastwood - would bother me.

What do YOU think?

colacentral

I'm the opposite - completely against Bond, as it fundamentally changes the character to such a degree that it might as well not be Bond anymore. On the other hand, I don't mind this. If he was a cowboy in our world, I could understand the issue, but he's not. He could be portrayed as an alien for all I care, as long as he's still a "Gunslinger."

Glebe

Quote from: colacentral on December 10, 2015, 12:30:41 PMI'm the opposite - completely against Bond, as it fundamentally changes the character to such a degree that it might as well not be Bond anymore. On the other hand, I don't mind this. If he was a cowboy in our world, I could understand the issue, but he's not. He could be portrayed as an alien for all I care, as long as he's still a "Gunslinger."

Well Javier Bardem was previously mooted, but I just don't think he looked the part.

hayduke_lives

I'm not sure about this one. For me, reversing that casting (so McConaughey as Roland and Elba as Flagg) feels much much better. In my mind's eye I've always pictured Flagg as a hulking, charismatic, intimidating figure, and Idris Elba would suit that more.

That said, although I've read the Dark Tower books and King's others that feature Flagg, it seems the mental image I have of him is pretty wide of the mark - pretty much everyone I've seen comment on the McConaughey casting says it's a perfect fit. I think he'd be far better as a craggy, wizened, weary Roland.

wooders1978

They won't end up making it anyway - might as well cast Mickey Mouse in the role

Sam

This would work well as a TV show, a season per book, adult fantasy in the style of Game of Thrones.

BritishHobo

I've not seen much of Elba, but I'd be interested in seeing him take a crack at it.

My only thing with this series is what they're going to do from the fifth onwards. A lot of the Stephen King universe stuff is either unworkable or totally incoherent to those not familiar with his other books. A cinematic universe would be fun (Salem's Lot, The Stand, Needful Things, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia), if that wasn't inherently a fucking enormous and risky undertaking.

Glebe

Quote from: Sam on December 10, 2015, 07:56:18 PMThis would work well as a TV show, a season per book, adult fantasy in the style of Game of Thrones.

Not sure if it's still on the cards, but they were planning to do it as interweaving movies and TV series. Given the quality of TV today, I'd imagine they would stick with that plan, but who knows. By the way, a few years back Stephen King said his ideal choice for the role of Susannah would be Angela Bassett, which sounds perfect to me... she was great as Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do with It?

Mister Six

Quote from: colacentral on December 10, 2015, 12:30:41 PM
I'm the opposite - completely against Bond, as it fundamentally changes the character to such a degree that it might as well not be Bond anymore. On the other hand, I don't mind this. If he was a cowboy in our world, I could understand the issue, but he's not. He could be portrayed as an alien for all I care, as long as he's still a "Gunslinger."

There were LOADS of black cowboys, especially during the Reconstruction period.

Phil_A

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 10, 2015, 08:25:18 PM
I've not seen much of Elba, but I'd be interested in seeing him take a crack at it.

My only thing with this series is what they're going to do from the fifth onwards. A lot of the Stephen King universe stuff is either unworkable or totally incoherent to those not familiar with his other books. A cinematic universe would be fun (Salem's Lot, The Stand, Needful Things, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia), if that wasn't inherently a fucking enormous and risky undertaking.

The Stand movie has been in development for years now. The last I heard, it was being planned as a quadrilogy.

Mister Six

Jesus. That sounds like a pretty massive gamble.

BritishHobo

I now want Elba to be Roland purely to piss off Facebook wankers. I want Elba to be Roland, I want him to be fucking great, and I want the films to do amazing. Then the people banging on about how it ruins an entire seven-book story because it contradicts a few lines here and there about having blue eyes or looking like Stephen King can stew in their misery.

I am so bored of people who flip their lid over adaptations that diverge from the books. Especially those who, like in this case, keep bleating that it's disrespectful to the hardcore fans. They can FUCK OFF.

biggytitbo

Idris Elba as Roland..

Please be rat, please be rat.

Idris Elba as Roland Deschain?!

Ohhh:(

Paaaaul

Idris Elba is a bad actor. He hasn't been good in anything I've seen him in since The Wire. He's a *star* now, playing himself but wearing different clothes in different roles.

Sam

He was good as Golli in The Thick of It.

wooders1978

I always thought bale would be a fine Roland

biggytitbo

Garam

Quote from: Paaaaul on December 11, 2015, 12:48:27 PM
Idris Elba is a bad actor. He hasn't been good in anything I've seen him in since The Wire. He's a *star* now, playing himself but wearing different clothes in different roles.

But...Elba as Stringer Bell is one of the greatest acting performances ever. You get a lifetime pass for that, i think.

Also, he was good in Beasts of No Nation which came out a few months ago. I reckon he was just coasting for a few years to make bank. Pulling a McConaghey. He'll be back.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Garam on December 12, 2015, 12:36:00 PM
But...Elba as Stringer Bell is one of the greatest acting performances ever. You get a lifetime pass for that, i think.

What on earth does that mean? That he can be shit in anything he likes because of something good he did once?
Fuck that. If you're done as an artist, just fade away gracefully and make space for those with a passion or better application of their skills. Or try harder.
Nostalgia is a cancer to the arts.

Garam

They're not just artists, they're also people that have to work to make money to live and buy food and shelter and support a family etc.

But yeah, they don't have an obligation to cater to any particular branch of their fans and whatever their entitled opinion of a 'great performance' is.

Most actors, almost all of them, couldn't dream of nailing a performance like Elba did with Bell. That role will outlive him for a very long time. He will be remembered as a 'great actor' in the future for that role alone. So the idea of calling the man responsible for that a 'shit actor' just because he's acted in some shite blockbusters since seems a bit daft, especially since actors are only as good as the roles they are offered (and black actors don't always get offered the meatiest roles, especially when the internet gets morally outraged cause he doesn't look like the idea of the character in your head)...

Obviously I'd prefer him to be AMAZING ALL THE TIME!!! WHAT AN ARTIST WITH INTEGRITY! but that's ridiculous and unrealistic (and i would argue no artist in any field has a spotless record, not unless they died with a tiny oeuvre of work.)

in any case it's all moot cause it's all subjective and some cunts definitely LOVE Luther and hate The Wire and i think he was good in that Beasts of No Nation film released basically last week so he's back on track anyway

i've been awake for 25 hours. i'm not making this fit the normal norms of the english language soz

madhair60

It's The Dark Tower, not The Darkie Tower!!!

wooders1978

I am intrigued by the choice I must say - isn't a bigger problem that he's a bit young to play Roland?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blumf on December 12, 2015, 12:08:39 PM
Rivron

I thought Depp was playing Rivron in the long awaited Raw Sex movie?

Steven

I'll watch this as long as the love interest is that black girl from Grange Hill who keeps calling him Role-and constantly.

BritishHobo

Stephen King has come out and said he doesn't give a tuppenny fuck for race so long as the actor can portray Roland and his love for the ka-tet.

People in the comments complained that it's key to Odetta's relationship with Roland that Roland doesn't understand her life as a black civil rights activist - to which others replied quite nicely that he still won't understand it, being from a magic alternate universe that blends medieval with the Old West.

Glebe

Quote from: Steven on December 12, 2015, 06:42:51 PMI'll watch this as long as the love interest is that black girl from Grange Hill who keeps calling him Role-and constantly.

Haha! My brother used to joke about that!

Mister Six

Quote from: Garam on December 12, 2015, 04:23:32 PMin any case it's all moot cause it's all subjective and some cunts definitely LOVE Luther and hate The Wire

Am I allowed to love both?[nb]Except the last episode of Luther, which was rubbish.[/nb] Particularly Elba's performance - weary, wounded, sensitive Luther is a world away from the intensity and brutality of Stringer.

Garam