Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk.

Started by Glebe, December 29, 2015, 02:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 29, 2015, 10:28:57 PM
Surely Inception's the most blatant example of this.

Yes!

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 29, 2015, 10:28:57 PM
His fans truly scare me though, so I'll add the caveat that I do like Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige.

I find the mere existence of a Nolan idolatry quite a scary prospect, quite aside from all the online abuse targeted at even his mildest detractors, and their concerted campaigns to get every single one of his movies in the IMDB top 20, but given the unmitigated dross that accounts for 90% of mainstream cinema these days, and his predilection for making primarily 'original' movies, I suppose he quite easily seems like a major visionary in relative terms.

Pepotamo1985

I was fairly baffled when I heard Nolan was making a film about this - quite out of step with most of his oeuvre, but then again he seems to be going in the direction of overlong, overblown, string-laden EPIC cinema dealing with 'serious' topics, so perhaps a tedious, emotionally-wrought historical blockbuster is to be expected of him by this point. In a few decades' time, he'll be making smug, twee shit like Bridge Of Spies and Saving Private Ryan. He's already got that SPR bug of making opening scenes as exciting as possible, then following up with a totally underwhelming body.

So, yeah, low expectations for this. It's a shame, because I find Dunkirk a fucking fascinating topic. I even find myself liking Atonement, largely due to the segments dealing with it (it probably helps that I continue to pop like a child left holding the parcel when the music stops for that single-shot scene on the beach).

Glebe

Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' 35mm & 70mm to Open Two Days Early.

I'd like to see this in 70mm actually, particularly after catching The Hateful Eight in this format.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on March 14, 2016, 04:06:36 PM
I even find myself liking Atonement, largely due to the segments dealing with it (it probably helps that I continue to pop like a child left holding the parcel when the music stops for that single-shot scene on the beach).

Ach, here, Atonement is excellent. I'd take it over ninety Dark Knight doodahs any day of the week.

Glebe

Pit-Pat

"The event that shaped our world" is absurdly lazy.

It's not even the best event that shaped our world in the 1940s!

Bazooka

Is this a sequel to Saving Private Ryan?

Pit-Pat

The perspective in that poster is all wrong as well

thraxx

Why would Ju87 dive bombers be flying so flat and low over the bomb box? A
If this is the worst I accuracy the film has, then it should be good.

Kelvin

Quote from: Pit-Pat on December 13, 2016, 04:38:01 PM
The perspective in that poster is all wrong as well

Toy planes flying in the foreground, toy soldier jumping off a boat a few feet in front of him.

It's also another example of a poster that would be more effective if it wasn't so busy. 

Glebe

Trailer #1.

I have to say, it look's impressive. I just hope it's dramatically interesting and not just a load of showy bollocks.

Puce Moment

I reckon this will be a big fucking load of old inflated, faux-profound dogshite like everthing Nolan has made after Memento.

Put THAT pipe in your mouth and then try and smoke it!!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: WikipediaAvoiding the use of CGI, cardboard cut-out props of soldiers and military vehicles were employed to create the illusion of a large army.
Yeah, that's real film making. God forbid you use computers in an appropriate situation.

Quote from: Glebe on December 14, 2016, 04:57:24 PM
Trailer #1.

I have to say, it look's impressive. I just hope it's dramatically interesting and not just a load of showy bollocks.

Interesting that there were very little shots of the Germans in the trailer. It really brought to life the fear and paranoia of being surrounded with nowhere to run.

Thomas

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 14, 2016, 06:17:38 PM
QuoteAvoiding the use of CGI, cardboard cut-out props of soldiers and military vehicles were employed to create the illusion of a large army.

Yeah, that's real film making. God forbid you use computers in an appropriate situation.

The source for that particular detail is the Daily Mail (who provide no further sourcing).

When Sherlock series 3 was being filmed, some newspapers took the presence of an obviously fake Cumberbatch dummy on a rooftop to be a stand-in for the actor, for 'health and safety reasons'. When the episode was actually broadcast, featuring the dummy as part of the storyline, these reports were proven false.

It's possible that the Mail have decided for themselves that images like this -

- mean that no CGI is being used, when actually those 'cardboard cutouts' might be points of reference for computer work in post-production. I've seen a few other images featuring that greenscreen material.

Glebe

Christopher Nolan Talks The Triptych Storytelling Of 'Dunkirk'.

Quote"The film is told from three points of view. The air (planes), the land (on the beach) and the sea (the evacuation by the navy). For the soldiers embarked in the conflict, the events took place on different temporalities," Nolan said (via Google translation). "On land, some stayed one week stuck on the beach. On the water, the events lasted a maximum day; And if you were flying to Dunkirk, the British spitfires would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of history, one had to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple."

However, this is all in service of Nolan doing justice to a pivotal moment of the war.

"This is an essential moment in the history of the Second World War. If this evacuation had not been a success, Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost, or would have known a different fate: the Germans would undoubtedly have conquered Europe, the US would not have returned to war," he said. "It is a true point of rupture in war and in history of the world. A decisive moment. And the success of the evacuation allowed Churchill to impose the idea of a moral victory, which allowed him to galvanize his troops like civilians and to impose a spirit of resistance while the logic of this sequence should have been that of surrender. Militarily it is a defeat; On the human plane it is a colossal victory."

That's your lot.

Glebe

Custard

There were 4 or 5 30-second trailers for this before Alien: Covenant. To the point where people in the audience were openly muttering about them

I like Nolan's work but they were even pissing me off, by the third one. What a weird way to trail a film

The new (full) trailer for this piqued my interest hugely. We all know that Nolan is due a misfire/flop, but I don't think this will be it.

greenman

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on March 14, 2016, 03:55:09 PM
I find the mere existence of a Nolan idolatry quite a scary prospect, quite aside from all the online abuse targeted at even his mildest detractors, and their concerted campaigns to get every single one of his movies in the IMDB top 20, but given the unmitigated dross that accounts for 90% of mainstream cinema these days, and his predilection for making primarily 'original' movies, I suppose he quite easily seems like a major visionary in relative terms.

Going back to this really though Nolan surely has to be viewed in his time? the over exposition in his films for example is I strongly suspect studio mandated to get the really massive budgets. Its not really that often this millennium you see really massive($100 million+) blockbusters given total freedom to do something  moderately challenging without some hand holding, maybe Fury Road? before that you might be going back to Lord of the Rings.

Honestly part of it seems to be coming from audiences as well as a lot of people who do have more serious taste in cinema seem to preffer lighter marvel style blockbuster that can be dismissed as just a bit of fun rather than something you could be accused to being geekish for enjoying.

Zetetic

The perfect film to go with a hard Brexit.

phantom_power

There seems to be an interesting choice of acting styles in that trailer, from the cor blimey non-actory actors to Brannagh ACTING!

Head Gardener

Gwen Taylor on ITV

A nice contrast from the latest Transformers which, according to the Mayo and Kermode show, didn't bother to film with non-Imax cameras* so in normal 2D screenings the ratio jumps around mid film.

*not sure if that's how it works actually, but it's something like that

Glebe

The IFI are screening it in 70MM, saw The Hateful Eight in 70MM there (although not on release) and it looked fab.

Btw, first reviews are in... seems pretty positive, overall.

buzby

Looks like a trip to the Printworks in Manchester will be in order. The Odeon in Liverpool 1 has only got Imax Digital.

spamwangler

Quote from: Thomas on December 15, 2016, 03:18:30 PM

would love it if theyve got all the real boats planes, proper non cgi pyrotechnics, and then every time you see an army its just a handful of blokes shuffling these cardboard fuckers around

hewantstolurkatad

oooh, 75% sounds a lot! Will probably be checking it out in that format even if it's a total turd.
I seem to be one of the only people who liked Interstellar more than everything he's done since probably the Prestige. Like, it didn't really work but as far as post-Spielberg emotionally driven sci-fi bullshit goes, it was pretty bold and got a lot fucking closer than the majority of attempts (I'm looking at you, Midnight Special...). Don't really like Nolan but he's at least trying and manages to do well enough with each release that it keeps things going.

I was under the impression Nolan had agreed to do his next film after interstellar on digital as some kind of compromise though?

Was in Leicester Square there earlier, seemed like there were a fuckton of Harry Styles fans hanging around for the premiere.

90% chance I bitched about Midnight Special in this thread already, actually