Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you've seen (that were not released in 2016)

Started by Neil, January 31, 2016, 12:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

I've spent the entire weekend trying to finish Michael Mann's last film Blackhat.

Every ten minutes I get so bored that I'll have to pause it and do something else.

Sam

Why are people still replying to this thread in the opposite way to what Neil asked?

Glebe

Quote from: Sam on February 08, 2016, 07:17:27 AMWhy are people still replying to this thread in the opposite way to what Neil asked?

It's the CaB mentality, Sam. Somebody tells you not to do something...

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 07, 2016, 04:22:21 PMThe Holiday is pretty excruciating, mind. That was on telly over Christmas, and 'er indoors wanted to watch it. Jude Law is bordering on unwatchable in that

There's one point where you can clearly see the light dimming in Jack Black's eyes

Yeah, watched a bit of that on TV a while ago, fucking incredibly irritating shite. It's funny how Kate Winslet went from being a likable up-and-coming star to the most annoying person in the history of the world.

Onken

I didn't recognise Kate Winslet in the Steve Jobs film. Had to look it up midway.

Neil

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 04, 2016, 09:05:29 PM
Yeah, I thought the idea was to start new threads on individual films. Come on folks.

Sadly that just rarely happens, and you get threads across the whole forum that end up listing things, when more interesting niche discussions are what's needed. Threads on here always stay around from month to month, year to year and even decade to decade. It really kills the site for me, but if its what people want to read then I just try and leave them to it. Enjoy. 

Steven

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2016, 05:56:24 PM
Sadly that just rarely happens, and you get threads across the whole forum that end up listing things, when more interesting niche discussions are what's needed. Threads on here always stay around from month to month, year to year and even decade to decade. It really kills the site for me, but if its what people want to read then I just try and leave them to it. Enjoy.

It's the twitterification of everything, 5 second attention spans, TL;DR etc, writing great swathes seems indulgent these days, read a novel? Not arsed mate, cigs. Also because of the current climate especially as being online allows people's `inner cunt' to come out, I think it causes a lot of difficulty to opine openly and self-censorship. Does for me anyway! Plus certain people like to pop into threads to purposefully de-rail the discussion due to their own strange egos.

Neil

Oddly, I disagree, Steven. I've argued about the length of topics on here for over ten years. Most of the other posters agreed back then - I distinctly remember waiting for them to do so. There's a weird dynamic where the people here are very hesitant about starting new topics, and I can't shit on that too much considering my own anxieties. I also have a very short attention span, so just hate seeing the same threads and jokes and memes constantly, where most other people seem to find them comforting.  CaB has become local radio.

Look up the "all things must pass" thread for proof this has been going on for more than a decade. Single-"joke" posters like poo are what put me off for good, though. Sorry, I don't get it. Which means I never will.

But fair play to you people that still enjoy the place. I don't want to try and change/ruin it for you to make it what I want. Not anymore.

Steven

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2016, 06:16:13 PM
I also have a very short attention span, so just hate seeing the same threads and jokes and memes constantly, where most other people seem to find them comforting.  CaB has become local radio.

I'm certainly guilty of that too, but I would feel very self-conscious writing great swathes of bollocks these days, look at my first ever post, it's pages of old wank.

Well, I didn't want to say it, but I've mentioned this many times before to people, I think it may be the
Spoiler alert
karma system.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Just try and neg me you cunts.
[close]

Neil

People used to blame tags too, and karma was meant to be parodic. You have to look at the way the Internet has changed on a much wider scale. All the normals got on and fucked it up. I'll try and write a CC thread soon about how "progressives" are ruining comedy. Hopefully not tonight as I've had a half bottle of whiskey. But look, everything is changing, and free speech is an outdated concept. That's the bottom line; it's not just this place - communication in general blossomed, and then quickly died. Edit: hopefully we'll soon benefit from the inevitable reaction, although "social networking" may have to be phased out first.

Steven

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2016, 06:33:27 PM
People used to blame tags too, and karma was meant to be parodic. You have to look at the way the Internet has changed on a much wider scale. All the normals got on and fucked it up. I'll try and write a CC thread soon about how "progressives" are ruining comedy. Hopefully not tonight as I've had a half bottle of whiskey. But look, everything is changing, and free speech is an outdated concept. That's the bottom line; it's not just this place - communication in general blossomed, and then quickly died.

It's caused by antithesis and it's promoted by cunts because it makes the most money.

If you have a right and a left, you promote the most vicious side of the left to the forefront and with the right similar, the voices which are the loudest gain the most traction and therefore obfuscates the middle where maybe some actually progressive discussion will evolve matters, but fuck that because as long as you keep the two extremes rattling and causing those between them to start shouting and frothing at eachother it provokes tons more column inches, keeps stories going and going, keeps the revenue coming in, keeps the ads being printed, clickbait going, banners, placard vendors, straw men distributers and goalpost removers, and keeps them all in a job wanking on about it all. If people calmly just discussed issues sensibly and actually tried to find resolve that all quietens down and the cash revenue streams start to go from a forceful gush to a pensioner's gnarled old trickle.

This is also the way War works.

Neil

But do you get we've done this to outselves, and that it's not some government conspiracy?

Steven

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2016, 07:24:09 PM
But do you get we've done this to outselves, and that it's not some government conspiracy?

I didn't say it was a government conspiracy, or even a conspiracy, it's just human nature.. and I'm describing the dynamic of how it works.

biggytitbo

Odd how, in that most individualistic of mediums, it's actually peer pressure that's killing free speech, like under McCarthy.

It's definetly of our own making aswell. Maybe all those shitty racist comedians in the 80s had a point about political correctness, but nobody heeded their words because they were twats.

Noodle Lizard

Well, this certainly took a turn for the weirder.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 09, 2016, 01:10:05 AM
Well, this certainly took a turn for the weirder.

Oh, and why's that then?[nb]Proved Neil's point there, pretty much.[/nb]

Onken

1. Theres no search functionary and using Google site:www.cookdandbombd.co.uk doesn't also work.

2. Idiots thinking they're cleaver create threads for a film without the actual title in the title.

3. It takes ages looking if you've not seen the film at the cinema release.

4. Accidentally make a duplicate thread and you're made to feel stupid.

5. This is just easier and small films aren't really worthy.

Noodle Lizard

Ohh fuck off the all of you, this is quite a good website.

Custard

There's loads of people on here who still discuss things in detail, including films. Just look at the neverending thread for The Force Awakens!

The threads that start with a one sentence post are a bit lazy and rubs, mind. "Have you seen *INSERT SOMETHING HERE*?" If the person starting a thread can't be arsed to give a few thoughts, then why should anyone else?

WELL?!

Sam

I've been reading this site for 15 years and posting almost as long. It goes through peaks and troughs, but it's very good right now. Neil's post raised lots of interesting points. I'm sympathetic to them, but I also mostly disagree. I think that's down to taste, though. I'll reply in more detail when I don't have to go to fucking work.

Noodle Lizard

Likewise, but shots fired re: poo.  Somewhere The G-Boz is weeping.

phantom_power

I don't know about social critique but I think part of the reason for long general threads is because that is how conversation works in real life and people tend to come to forums to have a form of conversation. When talking to friends you don't say "That is enough with talking about Deadpool, let us now discuss The Hateful Eight". Topics flow into each other and that is a more comfortable way of talking. Obviously an internet forum is a different beast but there is still that tendency to digress and shift the conversation.

I don't see why there can't be both types of thread on a healthy forum. There are lots of individual threads for new films but if you have seen a not so new film and want to discuss it, trying to find the previous topic can be hard without a search function and starting a new one seems a bit indulgent. This is where the more general threads come into their own because you can find the one that is most relevant and talk about the film there.

I think the criticism of people on the forum and the forum as a whole is a bit unnecessary, and is reaching a bit as well in terms of finding some underlying symptom or trend. People often shoehorn their own prejudices into that sort of discussion

zomgmouse

Quote from: Onken on February 09, 2016, 02:20:59 AM
1. Theres no search functionary and using Google site:www.cookdandbombd.co.uk doesn't also work.
You can use "inurl:" instead of "site:", I find that works a lot better.

zomgmouse

Just saw Heaven Can Wait (1943). Delightful and luscious - very funny too. Lots and lots of laughs. Some bits were a bit dated, but mostly it was sharp and really great. Another hit for Lubitsch. I'm getting to really enjoy his films.

Endicott

When I want to search CaB I always use this page.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/cabgoogle.php

Works reasonably well, though often you need chop the ;wap2 off the end of the thread url. It's hardly rocket science though.

Glebe

There was some negative talk in the locked 'What films you seen' thread, I think, about Scott Pilgrim. I for one enjoyed it, but here's the honest trailer in any case:

Honest Trailers - Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2016, 05:56:24 PMSadly that just rarely happens, and you get threads across the whole forum that end up listing things, when more interesting niche discussions are what's needed. Threads on here always stay around from month to month, year to year and even decade to decade. It really kills the site for me, but if its what people want to read then I just try and leave them to it. Enjoy.

I see what you're saying Neil, the only thing is there's so many films out there that sometimes you just wanna post a quick coupla lines on something you've seen, and maybe aren't hugely fussed about elaborating on. Granted, new films should always have individual topics, and if you're particularly interested in a old film, then you should definitely start a new topic on it. I dunno... that's my two cents.

Custard

Scott Pilgrim improves on second viewing, I found. Found it way too knowingly quirky on first watch, but second time round it started to gel for me. It's a comic-book on film, with some excellent action sequences. Pity no one went to see it

popcorn

I've always thought Scott Pilgrim was great. Its failings are greatly overcome by its wonderful editing, attitude and energy. It's that Edgar Wright playfulness. (The comic's shite though.)

What are the rules of Jim Carrey's lies in Liar Liar? Is he able to say things that are not literally true, but poetically true? At one point he accuses a superior of being a "belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking." But he doesn't add "figuratively speaking" to his other metaphorical statements.

A puzzling film.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

billtheburger

I'll  tells thee of a film I've seen and it's not a new one and I'm only the second person on icheckmovies to watch it, so I reckon it would be ridiculous to begin a new thread; Frustration (1971)
A José Bénazéraf erotic masterpiece reminiscent of Polanski's Repulsion. It has a literal Chechov's gun over the fireplace
Spoiler alert
and to live up to its title - is never used.
[close]