Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee back on talkRADIO 21/03

Started by HappyTree, March 05, 2016, 05:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Here's his new podcast:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/late-nights-with-iain-lee/id1090367473?mt=2

And some news:

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/Missing-Iain-Lee-BBC-3CR-s-hear-soon/story-28865613-detail/story.html

talkRADIO (familiar capitalisation...) is a new station and has such luminaries of the talk radio world as Paul Ross, George Galloway and Iain Lee. Yes ok, the first two were sarcastic, but I genuinely love Iain Lee's shows.

He gets stick on here - as do many others - so I'll just outline why I think he's brilliant. He freely admits he was greatly inspired and influenced by Tommy Boyd. I did love Boyd too until his (probably put on but still tiring) relentless self-aggrandisement became an irritation. When the talk radio fans I was friends with online directed me to Lee I found someone who was more funny, more compassionate and human, more intelligent and less prepared to stitch people up for laughs than Boyd was. Or, in a word, "better".

I've followed him around the dial from LBC and Absolute to BBC 3CR and now this new venture. I liked it all, but I think the BBC stuff was his best. His producer Kath probably had something to do with that too; it really shows when there's genuine collaboration twixt pres and prod.

He was always going to get fired from the Beeb, however. He's someone who likes to push things and the Beeb is one of the most deeply conservative (with a small c) organisations in the world. Plus they are totally in thrall to the Tories right now due to their charter being up for renewal. Still, getting fired seems to be a standard occupational hazard for the talk radio host.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this show, plus making whole again my triumvirate of podcasters to do the housework to: Shearer, Lee & Proops.

Replies From View

Quote from: HappyTree on March 05, 2016, 05:36:36 PM
When the talk radio fans I was friends with online directed me to Lee I found someone who was more funny, more compassionate and human, more intelligent and less prepared to stitch people up for laughs than Boyd was. Or, in a word, "better".

Do you also love Chris Moyles?

thraxx

Mango Chimes

I hope he survives the inevitable station reboot in circa 9 months time.

I don't like him when he goes serious - whether it's arguing with councillors, or debating immigration or whatever - but he's very good at fun radio, especially when he has a good producer to bounce off.

I was a fan of his 3 counties show too, and also credit some of this to Kathy Boyle (who also left the station recently). The breakfast show's pretty painful listening these days. JVS is fantastic though.

weekender

Didn't Iain Lee get a painful reaction from this community just because he said something like "I try and take what Chris Morris does and extend it"?

weekender

Wouldn't be as interesting as Morris and Baynham lying on sunbeds, sunning themselves, and talking about death lions, admittedly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: weekender on March 05, 2016, 09:31:44 PM
Didn't Iain Lee get a painful reaction from this community just because he said something like "I try and take what Chris Morris does and extend it"?

Yep, that's pretty much exactly it, and given how poor the 11 O'Clock Show mostly was, the reaction was understandable. Ever since RI:SE I've had a soft spot for him though, from time to time it was really quite odd breakfast tv, and I went along to one of his 'clip show' nights in Camden and he seemed a decent sort. I mean, he may very well be a bit of a twat, but I don't have it in me to dislike the fella. Not when there's so many people out there who truly deserve my scorn.

Replies From View

I've had a brilliant idea, let's all suddenly pretend that Iain Lee is at all good when he isn't.

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on March 05, 2016, 09:57:44 PM
I've had a brilliant idea, let's all suddenly pretend that Iain Lee is at all good when he isn't.

He's not obnoxious though, is he?  He seems nice enough, and he's trying his best.  He's actually alright at the radio stuff as well, if you actually pay attention and listen to what's going on.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Replies From View on March 05, 2016, 09:57:44 PMI've had a brilliant idea, let's all suddenly pretend that Iain Lee is at all good when he isn't.

Why are you threadshitting?

Phil_A

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on March 05, 2016, 07:50:04 PM
JVS is fantastic though.

Argh, I can't stand him! We have 3CR on at work sometimes and having to listen to him go on and on about "yobs on dirtbikes" drives me to despair.

HappyTree

Quote from: weekender on March 05, 2016, 09:33:53 PM
This is actually quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86iWBkpy1A8
Ah cheers, I hadn't seen that. I think it does show what Iain's good at: reacting and improvising. He has a very quick mind. I think he's found his thing in talk radio. TV pays more, yeah, but he wasn't the best comedy actor. Also, his stand up didn't work out. But riffing well and sustaining interest is his bag. I guess it's that he's more witty than funny-funny in comedy terms, if I can put it like that.

I never saw his early TV work so I missed "the bellend years" (as he's said of himself at that time).

HappyTree

The show's on tomorrow! 2200 - 0100 Mon - Fri

Net stream is here is you want to plug it into your own player:

http://radio.talkradio.co.uk/stream

Be there or...don't be there. But you'll regret it! He's got John Sebastian on this week. Yes, that one. And some guys from The Monkees. And Graham Nash might be on soon. Well, he's got a new album out and will want to promote. He already managed to promote it by manufacturing a nonsense beef with David Crosby for publicity.

Oh and I imagine Croz will be on soon as well. Not only does he like to talk, he's got new albums coming out soon as well.

There will be a daily (yes, daily!) pod of the best bits. Hopefully soon there'll be pods of the whole show. I need good audio to listen to while doing the housework so I look forward to listening to "General Lee" while picking shit out of the litter tray.

Welcome home, Mr Lee!

MojoJojo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 05, 2016, 09:47:12 PM
Yep, that's pretty much exactly it,

Didn't he also do some videogame thing where he obviously knew/cared absolutely nothing about them, but was as sincere and enthusiastic about it as he is with everything?

I don't think he's entered my conciousness in 5 years.

drachir

Always found his talk radio entertaining (although never heard the BBC stuff).

non capisco

I mainly remember him for being the one out of the two men singing 'My Cock's Bigger Than Yours' that looked the least embarrassed to be doing it, by some distance.

Bacon

He used to present a late night games review show and I always quite liked him on that. I bought Ico for the ps2 because of him. He also interviewed a bloke from slipknot on there and showed him his arse

edit: Thumb Bandits was the name of the programme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8p4rfFAHxU

The girl in it has one of the most inconsistent lisps I've ever seen on a person

lazarou

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 20, 2016, 08:58:16 PM
Didn't he also do some videogame thing where he obviously knew/cared absolutely nothing about them, but was as sincere and enthusiastic about it as he is with everything?

He had a column in Retro Gamer magazine for ages, can't imagine that paid much. Wasn't a big fan of it, but it was fairly obvious he has some love for the medium, either that or he was feigning a borderline obscene interest in the Vectrex and old WH Smith anecdotes over a sustained period for an audience of a few thousand old buggers.

QuoteThe girl in it has one of the most inconsistent lisps I've ever seen on a person

Went on to become Dr Aleks Krotoski, a respected gaming/tech journalist and academic. Still best know for being the yank on Bits though, no doubt.

MojoJojo

Quote from: lazarou on March 20, 2016, 10:36:45 PM
He had a column in Retro Gamer magazine for ages, can't imagine that paid much. Wasn't a big fan of it, but it was fairly obvious he has some love for the medium, either that or he was feigning a borderline obscene interest in the Vectrex and old WH Smith anecdotes over a sustained period for an audience of a few thousand old buggers.

Thinking about it, I think it was Consolevania who had a go at hime.

HappyTree

HappyTree

Yes, you read that right. Ash. All I need is Boyd in there and I can regress back 16 years. That would be nice.

buntyman

buntyman

Were you always planning on phoning in Happytree? Quite a surprise

Hollow

He used to write a column for Retrogamer, i literally couldn't read his stuff, he seemed like someone with no idea about it at all.

I've always thought he was talentless, with a habit of getting found out for this, yet still continuing to get further opportunities to prove it anew.

HappyTree

Quote from: buntyman on March 22, 2016, 12:15:59 AM
Were you always planning on phoning in Happytree? Quite a surprise

I've phoned Iain quite a lot over the years so I would have phoned in tonight anyway, yeah. But his "topic", if topic it be, was a clear ringer.

Puce Moment

I had a chat with him last Monday in London. He was walking along with what I assume is his partner and he looked deliriously happy, and beamed all the way through our conversation. Lovely man, and very funny.

colacentral

There was one morning on RI:SE when he went off script before the adverts to look into the camera and recommend Mr. Show, which he said he'd been watching the night before and was the best thing he'd seen in ages, so he can't be that bad.