Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grauniads of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Started by Glebe, March 06, 2016, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repeater

Dr Rock

I loved it. I loved how they found a great semi-obscure song from the 70s (Brandy) and the lyrics work perfectly for the movie.

How did they have the rights to use Watchers? I thought that would be Fantastic Four/Fox property. I also liked they took a daft internet fan theory - Stan Lee is playing the same character in all his cameos, and who is he? The Watcher. GOTGVOL2  make you think 'what? That's true?' then in the credits we see he's not really one of them. But I suppose it's canon now that he was the same character a few times, if not all.

Mantis and proto-Adam Warlock being in it was cool too. As was when we saw Ego The Living Planet finally look like he does in the comics.

And overall the jokes, special effects, and family themes were all good.

My GF, who is not a huge superhero movie fan, but loved vol 1, liked this one even more.

Oh and a Cheers reference, superyay!

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 03, 2017, 07:47:48 AM
Me guessing what would be on Awesome Mix tape number 2
I bet Peter's Mum (mom) might've loved some of these.

Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon
Trash - New York Dolls
Crazy Horses - Osmonds
Rocket Man - Elton John
Surrender - Cheap Trick
I Was Made For Loving You - KISS
The Night - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell

I got one right - Cheap Trick.

Oh and I also get half a point for saying a Glenn Campbell song.

Anyone else totally addicted to that Brandy song ever since?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 01, 2017, 01:08:58 PM

Anyone else totally addicted to that Brandy song ever since?

I love the sound of the percussion thingy in that song. Maybe it is that cylinder on a stick with the ball chain wrapped around it? Shhhk shhhk shk shhhk

edit- cant hear it on the youtube vesions on my tablet, might just be brushes on a snare drum

VelourSpirit

Loved it. Really fun and I felt emotions before they even played Cat Stevens. I spend a lot of time groaning about Marvel churning out superhero films but this was just lovely and I think I've just been a cynical twat about it. It's nice when they let directors be weird. I like the bit when their faces go all big.
Infinity War's probably gonna come and undo all this goodwill and I'm just gonna get in a huff about Marvel again until Vol 3.

Mango Chimes

Kurt Russell is distractingly like Noel Edmonds in this.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mango Chimes on October 04, 2017, 09:12:48 AM
Kurt Russell is distractingly like Noel Edmonds in this.

Because of the megalomania?

Repeater

Shit Good Nose

Repeater

Mango Chimes

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 04, 2017, 09:47:43 AM
Because of the megalomania?

One's a disconcerting, otherworldly, maned beardo of peculiar aspect, with an innate, solipsistic arrogance and air of superiority combined with belief in cosmic order and a general disregard for human life.

The other etc. etc.

Gulftastic

Finally got round to seeing it. They do like the word 'shit', don't they. Is it moving down a few places on the swear words league table? Will it be like 'fart' in a few years?

Enjoyed it overall. Surprised Stan Lee's cameo wasn't as 'Ego'. It would have been fitting.

mothman

The revival of this thread reminded me about the music played during the Ravagers scene on Contraxia. Which was apparently by the intriguingly-named Jimmy Urine, and called Un Deye Gon Hayd (The Unloved Song).And it remains unreleased.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 26, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
Finally got round to seeing it. They do like the word 'shit', don't they

They do.  And yet they don't like saying "son of a bitch".  Odd.

mothman

Pandering to the Chinese market. Phonetically, "son of a bitch" in Mandarin means "you are egregiously disrespectful to your ancestors, and furthermore have a massive crush on Chiang Kai-Shek." A complete no-no.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 26, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
Finally got round to seeing it. They do like the word 'shit', don't they. Is it moving down a few places on the swear words league table? Will it be like 'fart' in a few years?

I think in That America, it's considered milder, on a par with 'crap.' I think it's said in a few family movies, Raiders Of The Lost Ark (maybe) and a few more. They've also picked up 'wanker' and it's just a variation of 'jerk' to them, so they use it on like, kids TV and stuff. I think it's a post-watershed word here isn't it?

We're winning the war to get them to say 'cunt' more often though, so that's good.

Mister Six

They've been using shit in kids' films for years. It was in The Goonies, wasn't it? It's just that (IIRC) America went through a weird prudish phase in the 90s and through to the early 00s with kids' stuff and they're only just coming out out if.

newbridge

I liked this one, although to my tastes the comedy was pretty dire except for, surprisingly, Dave Bautista.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Conversely, I thought Drax was the worst thing about the film, comedy wise. Robbed of all subtlety, he was.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 27, 2017, 03:27:19 PM
We're winning the war to get them to say 'cunt' more often though, so that's good.

Nononono NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - we want them to say it less because "cunt" sounds wrong in an American accent.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 29, 2017, 12:19:32 PM
Nononono NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - we want them to say it less because "cunt" sounds wrong in an American accent.
It sounds better than their favourite alt. - "Twot"

colacentral

Not sure I agree that "shit" has always been a mild swear word for Americans, as a big deal was made over the South Park episode "It Hits the Fan" back in 2000 or 2001 where they got to say it unbleeped. It was sufficiently shocking enough to be seen as a major event.

I too recently saw GOTG 2 - waited a while because I strongly disliked the first one. And I have to agree that it's much better than the original. It was funnier, had a better story, a more interesting villain, and I found the ending quite moving.

All 3 Marvel films released in 2017 were great and amongst their best so far. I'd say those 3 plus Ant-Man and the two Captain America sequels are the top six for me.

Dr Rock

Quote from: colacentral on December 29, 2017, 02:40:27 PM
Not sure I agree that "shit" has always been a mild swear word for Americans, as a big deal was made over the South Park episode "It Hits the Fan" back in 2000 or 2001 where they got to say it unbleeped. It was sufficiently shocking enough to be seen as a major event.

They said 'shit' in Friends:

https://youtu.be/SyV-asIY5rA

mothman

Gulftastic

DVD version. That never made it to broadcast.

Right wing baiting US drama 'The Fosters' did use the word this season. I was shocked to hear it.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 29, 2017, 05:05:51 PM
DVD version. That never made it to broadcast.

Oh really? Still they wrote and shot the scene, I assume they considered that it was going to be ok, until someone nixed it.

Dr Rock

And are you sure? really_thirsty_lemon says
'No it's a scene alright. I remember watching it on TV and wondering how it wasn't censored.'

I googled it because I thought shit had been said on Friends, and I've never watched any Friends DVDs.

Dr Rock

http://uncutfriendsepisodes.tripod.com/season7/717uncut.html

I thought maybe it was cut when it was syndicated, but possibly in the original - but the above link says it was cut from the original airing. But again, they wrote and shot it, so it must've been a borderline decision.

Dr Rock

Also the US version of the DVD, with the word 'shit' in it, is rated NR:

QuoteNR (Not Rated) This film has not yet been rated by the MPAA. G: "General Audiences-All Ages Admitted." This is a film which contains nothing in theme, language, nudity and sex, violence, etc. which would, in the view of the Rating Board, be offensive to parents whose younger children view the film.

While the UK release says it's suitable for children 12 and over.

Don't know if this was worth starting a new thread for as GOTG3 is still a mile off, but James Gunn has been fired: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786?