Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Rogue One

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 07, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Thought I'd start a new thread for this as the first trailer has been released: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a789738/rogue-one-trailer-first-look-star-wars-spinoff/

Have to say it's done the job quite well as I had little interest initially, but now it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Ignatius_S

Looks ace - and I would wager it's going to be the best Star Wars film that comes out that month or even year.

CaledonianGonzo

Some people have been pointing out Canary  Wharf tube station standing in for the Death Star.

great_badir

Still trying to get my head around Donnie Yen being in it.

Kelvin

It's a shame that, with JJ Abrams restarting this universe, we now have to accept lens flair as standard for the modern Star Wars visual. The first 20 seconds is just one flair after the other.

Script's a bit on the nose, too, but yeah, the idea's a good one and it looks a bit different from the typical Star War's tone and story. Arguably more interested in this that the new trilogy.     

CaledonianGonzo

The Masked Unit

^Absolutely mental that that's what stands out to people when they see it. It honestly wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years that a wide range of races were represented.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Looks alright, but I'd be more excited if we hadn't just had a new Star Wars film. An odd thing for me to say, since I like the ongoing Disney Marvel films, but Star Wars is different somehow.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 07, 2016, 02:13:14 PM
It's a shame that, with JJ Abrams restarting this universe, we now have to accept lens flair as standard for the modern Star Wars visual. The first 20 seconds is just one flair after the other.

Kelvin

Dennis Taylor?

EDIT: no, the other snooker bloke.

Probably best I don't make jokes about Snooker going forward.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking as a Star Wars casual, and not a Star Wars geek, it was hard for me to figure out whether this is a story connected directly to the Force Awakens or a prequel. Can anyone enlighten me? Either way it looks pretty good.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 07, 2016, 04:35:37 PM
Speaking as a Star Wars casual, and not a Star Wars geek, it was hard for me to figure out whether this is a story connected directly to the Force Awakens or a prequel. Can anyone enlighten me? Either way it looks pretty good.

It's set shortly before A New Hope (or as I still insist on calling it, Star Wars) – it's about the theft of the plans for the Death Star, which was referenced in that film (e.g. when Vader captures Leia's ship at the beginning).

IIRC, this film is part of an anthology series, so will be a standalone movie.

great_badir

Alternatively, think Marvel.

My brain hurts.

DukeDeMondo

Is that how the trailers for all Gareth Edwards films are gon play out now? That was just the Godzilla teaser all over again, wasn't it? Maybe the Monsters trailer even? I dunno, I can't remember if any of the trailers for Monsters carried on with that same bit of honking and upping and downing and big things in the distancing.

Anyway that was a pretty unremarkable bit of stuff, there. I much preferred that sort-of-teaser that appeared online last year after Comic Con or whatever, the one with our heroes flying over some snowy landscape or other - I dunno if it was meant to be Hoth - and then we pull back and Christ the sky is full of nothing but Death Star. That was properly chilling, perfect example of that Burkean fuckin "oh holy fuck..." thing that Edwards does so very well. I hope there's a lot of that sort of stuff in this.

mobias

It might just be easier for Hollywood, or certainly Disney anyway, for all films to be made by anyone from now on to be fitted in and related to the Star Wars universe somehow. Might make it a bit easier for marketing and the audience.

greenman

The "I Rebel" line is pretty aweful and overall looks/sounds like Starwars fed though Godzilla but then again that film had a bit more to it that the early trailers let on so I'm still hopeful.

Quote from: The Masked Unit on April 07, 2016, 03:22:17 PM
^Absolutely mental that that's what stands out to people when they see it. It honestly wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years that a wide range of races were represented.

I do wonder just how widespread this is outside of the kind of places that would likely be posting bigoted bollocks anyway though. There does seem to be a drive to paint Disney's Star wars as some kind of giant leap forward in equality when we had many female action heroes for a quarter of a century or more.

When you get down to it the last film just showed that a female character can be paper thin just as well as a male one. Added to that as well I think Abrams films always seem to be working at cross purposes to me, wanting to look PC but seemingly having Michael Bay style trash in their DNA so we end up with Kirk ogling Dr Marcus or the "heroic black character" actually being a cowardly comedy sidekick ex janitor.

Malcy

Looks brilliant, can't wait. Really looking forward to the
Spoiler alert
Potential Vader & CGI Peter Cushing Moff Tarkin cameos.
[close]

I see the Radio Times are already theorising that Jones' character is Rey's mother. They really grasp at straws over there!

mothman

I wonder if all the iRebel domain names have been snapped up yet?

batwings

Looks surprisingly decent. It will be a nice change to have a Star Wars film that isn't focused on space wizards.

Have to admit, I do feel quite hyped by this trailer. I really enjoyed seeing the original designs, as well as a couple of things which seem analogous to the EU (shadow troopers, a grand admiral villain).

weekender

It was a decent enough trailer, up until about 00:58 when Jar Jar Binks inexplicably started talking over everything.

Glebe

I wasn't blown away by it or anything, but it looks good, and I love the inclusion of Mon 'Many Bothans...' Mothma. I'm sure I'll be rewatching it again and again like an overgrown fanboy over the coming weeks...

idunnosomename

VWWWARRRRM

VWWWARRRM

VWWWAARRM

Paaaaul

Hooray. Another film about a Death Star.

monolith

No reason for Vader not to be in this is there? JEJ is still about, plenty of tall people about (Prowse is still kicking about but at 80....).

Probably just Jinxed both of them seeing as this is 2016, the genocide of the celebrities.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: monolith on April 08, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
No reason for Vader not to be in this is there? JEJ is still about, plenty of tall people about (Prowse is still kicking about but at 80....)....

It was rumoured ages ago that Vader would be in the film – and in terms of the story (i.e. the set-up for the opening of Star Wars) that would fit really well.

However, it was claimed he wouldn't be the main baddie – more a power behind the scenes and we might only see him via hologram communication.

Some people are suggesting that the hooded figure kneeling is Vader but I doubt that.

momatt

Looks promising!  I got those familiar chills of excitement that only new Star Wars can bring.
The actress for Mon Mothma looked very close!

Quote from: The Masked Unit on April 07, 2016, 03:22:17 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice that either.  Those comments made me think I'd missed something, but it's just the fact that I'm not upset or disorientated by seeing different races on a screen.  I was too busy looking at the cool spaceships, explosions and new black stormtrooper suits.
What a bunch of miserable cunts.
I suppose there are a lot of kick-ass females in Star Wars, but it's hardly something to get upset about.

kngen

Was mildly indifferent at first, then the Afrika Korps AT-ATs showed up, and I went:'ooooooh!' and felt all tingly. Oh well, Disney gets even more of my money then.

Alberon

Quote from: momatt on April 08, 2016, 01:46:40 PM
Looks promising!  I got those familiar chills of excitement that only new Star Wars can bring.
The actress for Mon Mothma looked very close!

Apparently she played Mon Mothma in Episode III as well, but got cut from the final edit.

Here's Mothma from Rogue One next to the Return of the Jedi one for comparison.

Shame she clearly got stuck wearing the same frock for at least six years. It must have been well wiffy by the time the Empire fell.

Hollow

Vader will be in it, if he's not, people will kick off.

I like the look of this, I also think the director to be a future 'important' director, so we could have something special here.