Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Rogue One

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 07, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I think this looks a bit weird. Can't put my finger on it. Looks like a Netflix show, not a proper film.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it looks like a spin-off. But that's what it is. So. Good observation, me.

Hollow

Well it's copying the old aesthetic innit? But in digital.

Never looks good digital, always has that 'knock-off' look to it.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on April 08, 2016, 03:01:24 PM
I think this looks a bit weird. Can't put my finger on it. Looks like a Netflix show, not a proper film.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it looks like a spin-off. But that's what it is. So. Good observation, me.

Edwards style is pretty close to a lot of cinematic TV shows I'd say and the trailer is very much in that style.

I wonder if it will be a one off? theres obviously potential for the same character to carry on with other films set during the original films era.

Onken

When people say they hate the Star Wars prequels this will now be included in with them.

mothman

Despite loving the trailer I've still not seen Godzilla. So I've no idea if it's any cop. But Edwards' story - unless it is total bullshit - appeals to me: that he was able to create Monsters,  a quite-respectable SF/disaster/creature-feature, on a shoestring budget through almost guerrilla filmmaking.

So for that reason I'll gladly give him a chance here.  And if you're still able to be annoyed about the wanton desecration of your childhood memories, even AFTER the prequel trilogy shat all over them for the rest of us, well good luck to you.

mothman

"If, as a child, you don't think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's probably something wrong with you. If, as an adult, you still think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's definitely something wrong with you." - Terry Pratchett

So, if the original trilogy is sacrosanct to you then you're probably not gonna like Rogue One or Episode VIII any more than you liked Eps I, II, III or VII. Whereas I think most of us in the Force Awakens thread accepted that while the original films were wonderful to our childhood selves, as adults we know they're far from perfect and accepted Ep7 in the same spirit, and will do Ep8, R1 etc... unless they're REALLY shite.

Custard

Vader and Palpatine will be turning up, apppaaaarently. Small cameos I'd guess, though.

There was a rumour a while back that Hayden Christiansen would be back as Vader. So erm, hurrah?

Dr Rock

I've been trying to think of a way that Vader didn't die in Return Of The Jedi. What if he was a clone?

Hollow

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 08, 2016, 06:12:35 PM
I've been trying to think of a way that Vader didn't die in Return Of The Jedi. What if he was a clone?

It's not important here though, as he's not dead yet.

greenman

Quote from: mothman on April 08, 2016, 06:01:49 PM
"If, as a child, you don't think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's probably something wrong with you. If, as an adult, you still think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's definitely something wrong with you." - Terry Pratchett

So, if the original trilogy is sacrosanct to you then you're probably not gonna like Rogue One or Episode VIII any more than you liked Eps I, II, III or VII. Whereas I think most of us in the Force Awakens thread accepted that while the original films were wonderful to our childhood selves, as adults we know they're far from perfect and accepted Ep7 in the same spirit, and will do Ep8, R1 etc... unless they're REALLY shite.

The Force Awkens wasnt looked down on by some(well by me anyway) because we'd "lost the magic of childhood", something like the original Star Wars films or Lord of the Rings books maybe aren't the be all and end all they were in my youth but they hold up perfectly well for what they are, I had a less favourable view of Abrams film because it was a less well main collection of action/humour set pieces akin to his Trek films without much imagination.

PAGATRON

Quote from: batwings on April 07, 2016, 09:06:15 PM
Looks surprisingly decent. It will be a nice change to have a Star Wars film that isn't focused on space wizards.

But, but, but what about Lightsabers?

Mr_Simnock

QuoteIt will be a nice change to have a Star Wars film that isn't focused on space wizards.

Hold on a moment. You aren't exited by the mere words 'space wizards'. If someone handed me just that for a film pitch I would say yes. There is not enough media with space wizards in for my liking.

mothman

Yeah, JK missed a trick there. She'd be proper minted now.

Glebe

Some nice dramatic shots in the trailer... love the Star Destroyer klaxon going off, too.

Quote from: mothman on April 08, 2016, 06:01:49 PM"If, as a child, you don't think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's probably something wrong with you. If, as an adult, you still think Lord Of The Rings is the best book in the world, then there's definitely something wrong with you." - Terry Pratchett

You can still enjoy it, though. Mate.

Mango Chimes

Forrest Whittaker doing Limmy's judge character, there.

"What will you do... when they catch you?
What will you do if they BREAK you?
What will they do if they SENTENCE you?  To LIFE!"

Kelvin

It's funny, I really love the trailer. Visually it (mostly) looks great, the thrill of nostalgia, and what looks to be a good story, with a different tone than we;re used to.

But it has to be said... almost every line in the trailer is properly shit.

"I thought this was rebellion. I rebel."    Terrible.

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on April 08, 2016, 03:01:24 PMI think this looks a bit weird. Can't put my finger on it. Looks like a Netflix show, not a proper film.

I know what you mean, but then we're living in an era where TV has finally achieved the prestige of the movies. Maybe films have to go one extra... perhaps become 'virtual films'.

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2016, 01:21:38 AM
It's funny, I really love the trailer. Visually it (mostly) looks great, the thrill of nostalgia, and what looks to be a good story, with a different tone than we;re used to.

But it has to be said... almost every line in the trailer is properly shit.

"I thought this was rebellion. I rebel."    Terrible.

Have to agree there sadly but hopefully the ones they've picked out is a product of the style of the trailer, Godzilla for example only had Cranston ranting in the trailer(albeit still sounding better than this) yet the film had more than that.

Quote from: greenman on April 08, 2016, 04:51:52 PM
I wonder if it will be a one off? theres obviously potential for the same character to carry on with other films set during the original films era.

I think there's a pretty reliable rumour going around that
Spoiler alert
the story is about a group of people who all die getting this information to the Rebels so no, there isn't potential for that
[close]

mothman

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 09, 2016, 04:16:23 AM
Spoiler alert
the story is about a group of people who all die getting this information to the Rebels so no, there isn't potential for that
[close]

Spoiler alert
Perhaps they'll get arrested and locked up in cells RIGHT NEXT TO Leia's, but obviously they don't get released. Then they all die when Luke blows the place up. Not so much of a hero now, is he?
[close]

surreal

Quote from: mothman on April 09, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
Spoiler alert
Perhaps they'll get arrested and locked up in cells RIGHT NEXT TO Leia's, but obviously they don't get released. Then they all die when Luke blows the place up. Not so much of a hero now, is he?
[close]

That would be a spectacularly dark way to end it... I'm in!

Hollow

That sounds very interesting, i've got a good feeling about this.

When's it out? Crimbo again?

momatt

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 09, 2016, 04:16:23 AM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Well yeah, they specifically mention it in the first film (apologies if you were joking or something):
Quote from: Mon MothmaMany Bothans died to bring us this information
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeabed9N9M

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 08, 2016, 01:16:38 PM
Hooray. Another film about a Death Star.

At least this one won't end with it being destroyed, which is something.

As for that rumour:
Spoiler alert
I presumed that would be the case, otherwise it'd be strange that they never appeared in the original trilogy.
[close]

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 09, 2016, 11:28:00 AM
As for that rumour:
Spoiler alert
I presumed that would be the case, otherwise it'd be strange that they never appeared in the original trilogy.
[close]

They can presumably CGI anything they like into new releases of the original trilogy, if it comes to it.

batwings

Quote from: momatt on April 09, 2016, 11:21:20 AM
Well yeah, they specifically mention it in the first film (apologies if you were joking or something):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeabed9N9M

That's from Return Of The Jedi and in reference to the 2nd Death Star.

batwings

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 08, 2016, 11:26:05 PM
Hold on a moment. You aren't exited by the mere words 'space wizards'. If someone handed me just that for a film pitch I would say yes. There is not enough media with space wizards in for my liking.

We already have 7 Star Wars movies about Jedi, with at least 2 more on the way. I like that these side movies get to tell some more grounded stories. I do expect, however,  that Vader will show up in this, maybe even getting to use his space sword and use his cosmic magic so everyone can be happy.

Replies From View

They should have some films about cousins of the Jedi who are called Ediths.

greenman

Quote from: momatt on April 09, 2016, 11:21:20 AM
Well yeah, they specifically mention it in the first film (apologies if you were joking or something):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeabed9N9M

That's in Return of the Jedi not the original Starwars, the only mention of the plans being stolen in that film is that the rebels have won a victory in the opening crawl.