Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lyrics that make no sense

Started by Bacon, May 03, 2016, 03:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark now my pies

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 04, 2016, 10:04:44 PM
Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be.

"How does it feel like?"

Psychedelic, mate. Let Let Forever Be Be.

Crabwalk

'Oh what a feeling,
When we're dancing on the ceiling'

THE FEELING WOULD BE OF YOU CRASHING TO THE GROUND AND BREAKING YOUR NECK YOU FUCKING IMBECILE

Bacon

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 04, 2016, 10:22:15 PM
'Oh what a feeling,
When we're dancing on the ceiling'

THE FEELING WOULD BE OF YOU CRASHING TO THE GROUND AND BREAKING YOUR NECK YOU FUCKING IMBECILE

They have 'razed' the roof, which is now on the floor, and they are dancing on it with normal gravity, like normal! Although they do mention turning upside down so possibly not.

dark now my pies

On the otherwise perfect Never Take The Place Of You, NRBQ drop this yeasty clanger.

'I like the good times and I like the bread
but don't you worry it won't go to my head

Cuz there's one thing she can never do
She'll never take the place of you'

What exactly is bread a metaphor for in a relationship? Bad times? 'Yeh me and my girl went through some really tough bread together but we worked it out'. Or maybe the girl runs a bakery and the dude really enjoys her bread. That's NRBQ for you. Naff rhymes, big questions.

Phil_A

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 04, 2016, 10:04:44 PM
Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be.

"How does it feel like?"

Missing a comma:

"How does it feel, like?"

Noodle Lizard

"I made chili con carne on the summer day when you were gone.
I crashed my car into the fridge. I watched, I let it burn.
I threw the chili con carne into a bag and pushed it down the stairs.
I crashed my car into the fridge.

I - don't - care."

Mental that nobody thinks to question these lyrics.

thraxx

La Bamba.

Words to shat song are a load of fucking gibberish mate.

chand

Fuck me, karma negs for defending the lyrics of a pop song against misplaced pedantry. Fine, I'll play along, what's the deal with that Kings Of Leon guy's sex being on fire? You might want to get that checked, mate! At the sexual health clinic! And don't get me started on the things Alanis thinks are ironic! Stop buying spoons!

dark now my pies

Quote from: chand on May 05, 2016, 09:37:24 AM
Fuck me, karma negs for defending the lyrics of a pop song against misplaced pedantry. Fine, I'll play along, what's the deal with that Kings Of Leon guy's sex being on fire? You might want to get that checked, mate! At the sexual health clinic! And don't get me started on the things Alanis thinks are ironic! Stop buying spoons!

You didn't get karma negs for defending pop lyrics. You got karma negs for being Dull.

grainger

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 03, 2016, 05:17:53 PM
Isn't that about having your perception of time go all wonky while on drugs? Noel Gallagher invented cake before Chris Morris.

Yeah, Noel Gallagher often fails to reach the level of "appalling" in his lyric writing, but that cannonball line is unfairly singled out. It's fine. The contradiction is clearly intentional (whether it's a drugs reference, or an "I'm so fast that even my slow speed is super fast" thing, or something else, I don't know or care). The rest of the lyrics to Champagne Supernova are pretty shite, though.

Crabwalk

Quote from: dark now my pies on May 05, 2016, 09:42:11 AM
You didn't get karma negs for defending pop lyrics. You got karma negs for being Dull.

What do you think of the lyrics to this Wilco song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGKRSAwrkXo

Jockice

Quote from: grainger on May 05, 2016, 09:55:33 AM
Yeah, Noel Gallagher often fails to reach the level of "appalling" in his lyric writing, but that cannonball line is unfairly singled out. It's fine. The contradiction is clearly intentional (whether it's a drugs reference, or an "I'm so fast that even my slow speed is super fast" thing, or something else, I don't know or care). The rest of the lyrics to Champagne Supernova are pretty shite, though.

Indeed. It's like that Duran Duran line that people go on about: "You're about as easy as a nuclear war.'' A bloke I sat opposite  at work used to always bring that up when anyone mentioned crap lyrics. What, is he saying that a nuclear war wouldn't be difficult?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ It *is* a crap, crass line, though.

dark now my pies

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 05, 2016, 10:02:06 AM
What do you think of the lyrics to this Wilco song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGKRSAwrkXo

I wouldn't touch Wilco with a 100 ft mouse click, mainly because they are the supremity of dullness.

I don't call chand dull but I point out something literal and I get karma negs for it. I am so close to pulling a chand rant here.

chand

Quote from: dark now my pies on May 05, 2016, 09:42:11 AM

The other guy was pedantically taking apart the lyrics to a fun pop song, incorrectly in my view. I'm saying "Lighten up, it's a deliberate joke". I absolutely INSIST that thraxx is the dull one here, and I'm prepared to go to my grave defending this position.

wosl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 03, 2016, 06:39:07 PM
I never understood this lyric. Is Robbie Williams saying that his hungover face looks like the ageing band, Kiss when they take off their make up after a show or that his hungover face is so dark around the eyes that he looks like a member of Kiss in full make up?

He's saying that when he wakes up after one of his crazy, crazy nights he looks like the band Kiss between 1983 and 1996.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

All Saints - Never Ever

"A few questions that I need to know"

Arthur Dent needed to know the question. You need to know the answer, silly. The baffling thing is that "A few answers" would have fit perfectly.

Crabwalk

And the intro ends with

QuoteEither way, I'm going out of my mind
all the answers to my questions
I have to find

so it's inexplicable why they went with that opening line.

Top tune though.

Big Jack McBastard

The entirety of Plush by Stone Temple Pilots.

Also Millennium by Robbie Williams is both shit and utterly nonsensical.

Big Jack McBastard

There's the classic Jason Donnovan one:

"I close my eyes, pull back the curtain, to see for certain'

How tha fuck ya seein owt with yer eyes closed mate?

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: chand on May 05, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
The other guy was pedantically taking apart the lyrics to a fun pop song, incorrectly in my view. I'm saying "Lighten up, it's a deliberate joke". I absolutely INSIST that thraxx is the dull one here, and I'm prepared to go to my grave defending this position.

Fun?  Did you mean to type 'utterly shite' there? 

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 05, 2016, 07:55:07 PM
Millennium by Robbie Williams is both shit and utterly nonsensical.

"We all enjoy the madness 'cos we know we're gonna fade away"

Come on man, that's profound and brilliant.

RenegadeScrew

I suppose loads of Talking Heads lyrics make very little sense, but these ones from Animals are amazing.

QuoteThey say they don't need money
They're living on nuts and berries
They say animals don't worry
You know animals are hairy?
They think they know what's best
They're making a fool of us
They ought to be more careful
They're setting a bad example
They have untroubled lives
They think everything's nice
They like to laugh at people
They're setting a bad example
(Go ahead) Laugh at me.

thraxx

Quote from: chand on May 05, 2016, 11:51:08 AM

Sorry you got negged. It weren't me. I don't think The Year 3000 or whatever the fuck its called is fun.  If they had put in 50 'great's in there i would have appreciated that.  I can't believe that the not much had changed line is a joke imo, nust can't.  I am dull though - you got that spot on.  No need to get in grave.  Why do you care so much about Busted? I was always a Blazin' Squad fan myself.

up_the_hampipe

"She call me the referee cause I be so official
My shirt ain't got no stripes, but I can make your pussy whistle"

Now listen here, Drake. Referees whistle themselves, they don't make other things whistle. Also I've never heard a vagina whistle, unless you're mistaking a high-pitched queef for a whistle. Also why is she calling you official? Official what? Is that a compliment? "Say what you like about that Drake fella, but he's certainly official". Silly bastard.

Phil_A

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 05, 2016, 08:05:58 PM
There's the classic Jason Donnovan one:

"I close my eyes, pull back the curtain, to see for certain'

How tha fuck ya seein owt with yer eyes closed mate?

He's pulling back the curtain in his mind, ahhh.

What's behind the curtain? No idea. Probably God or something I expect.

maett

Is Syd Barrett's solo stuff off limits?

Norton Canes

"You've made your bed, you better lie in it"

No, that's not how it... Paul, mate, that's not how it works.