Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mini NES

Started by Penfold, July 14, 2016, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_announces_console_launch_for_november.html

Although I don't need more stuff in front of my TV.

lazarou

The included games are:

Balloon Fight
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
FINAL FANTASY
Galaga
GHOSTS'N GOBLINS
GRADIUS
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
MEGA MAN 2
Metroid
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

That's an excellent selection of games there, the kind of stuff it took the Virtual Console years to build up to. Fucking BUBBLE BOBBLE, get in. The only omission that immediately stands out as something I'd have definitely still wanted to play again in 2016 is River City Ransom. Surprised Xevious didn't make the cut though, if GameCenter CX was anything to go by then that game has a very special place in Japanese ninty gamers' hearts. But then I don't even know if it's getting released over there, and if it did it'd probably be in the Famicom style with a different bunch of stuff.

It would've probably raised the price a little too much to be comfortable, but I would've liked an attempt at an updated zapper using some kind of sensor-bar setup so you could play them on modern TVs again. Then again, probably too much effort just for Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman and Duck Hunt.

Twed

I know it's no better than a Raspberry Pi Zero and an SD card with every game you could ever want for every retro system ever, but damn I want this.

Nintendo are the only company I have any sort of brand loyalty for. I never want to not support Nintendo. And it looks so cute!

doppelkorn

Twed you're new and like technology, so peep this: Do you have a RasPi? I read up on them extensively but never found a use case for me. There have been a couple of threads, where I don;t hink anybody admitted to actually doing anything useful. Could we use one to host CaB?

[THREADJACK]

Twed

Too slow as a host unfortunately, and you'd have to put it in a datacentre to give it a connection which would cost money.

I have two of them, one is attached to the TV to play videos from my Plex server and the other I'm using as an ad-blocking DNS (https://pi-hole.net/).

biggytitbo

These things do seem somewhat redundant when the likes of openemu will play thousands of games from dozens of systems for free.

biggytitbo

If they released a mini snes (or even n64) then that would be more interesting. NES games often don't hold up very well but there are plenty of 16 bit games that look and play as well as many modern indie titles.

doppelkorn

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 14, 2016, 06:05:48 PM
If they released a mini snes (or even n64) then that would be more interesting. NES games often don't hold up very well but there are plenty of 16 bit games that look and play as well as many modern indie titles.
Its after taken them 10-15 years later than it should've to think NES games are worth less than $15. I can see this doing a killing in sales as a gift for that thirtysomething dude that you know nothing about beyond he used to play games a few decades ago.

...and if it does do well, a SNES follow up will probably do really well.

doppelkorn

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 14, 2016, 05:52:51 PM
These things do seem somewhat redundant when the likes of openemu will play thousands of games from dozens of systems for free.

But they'll sell biggy. At that price who can be fucked messing with openemu and getting it all set up and bla bla bla. With this you get the controllers like you used to on the NES, you plug it in to your TV, and you can play it with your mate. And you know it's gonna work.

hewantstolurkatad

Those controllers will sell a ton too. I'd say this is a last push to drain some money from the NES games before bringing them to mobile.

buntyman

They forgot Tetris

Hollow

Not a console that's particularly close to my heart even if some of the games on it are...now Nintendo make a SNES version and I'm there.

Hollow

Quote from: buntyman on July 14, 2016, 09:52:00 PM
They forgot Tetris

Not ever seen as a NES game though, so I'm not surprised, now if they'd left it off a Gameboy version of this then you'd have a point.

Glebe

Everyone's talking about playing this on Facebook. We'll all be brainwashed by pokemons by the time the year is out - for heaven's sake!

Hollow

Is our version going to be 50hz?

Eh? Nintendo? EH?!?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is as close as you can get to Shit for Cunts.

How on eath did they fit 30 NES games in there ? What a feat of technical excellence

doppelkorn

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 15, 2016, 07:54:44 AM
This is as close as you can get to Shit for Cunts.

How on eath did they fit 30 NES games in there ? What a feat of technical excellence

Are you teething at the moment or something?

marquis_de_sad

I imagine he means that, as most NES games were around 128 to 384 kB, they could have fit a lot more on it.

doppelkorn

It's more the shit for cunts comment to be honest. He's just being a grumpy old man across the forum.

Shay Chaise

I want a mini Game Boy as big as a custard cream.

Twed

I would love a cheap classic Game Boy relaunch of some kind actually. There were some great games once the system matured. I've been hankering to play it on the sofa, but I have no interest in using my phone and on-screen controls. Maybe I'll look around eBay for an actual GB.

Shay Chaise

Most of the best GB games are available on the 3DS Virtual Console store, if you're tempted. Six Golden Coins, all that, plus loads of the GBC/GBA stuff like Link's Awakening and SMB Deluxe. They've also started with the SNES too, Mario World, Mario Kart, Link To The Past, Metroid, Earthbound.

Anyway, I know it's not quite what you're looking for but just an aside, a pleasant surprise for me having just bought a New 3DS on a whim.

biggytitbo

Monster Max (a spiritual successor to head over heels by the same team) is the best game boy game and still a great game now.

Jamie Morgon

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 15, 2016, 09:13:40 PM

Anyway, I know it's not quite what you're looking for but just an aside, a pleasant surprise for me having just bought a New 3DS on a whim.

Get yourself Majora's Mask and have a look at the fire emblem games.

Beagle 2

Any chance this thing will be hackable? I really need to own it but without Battletoads it seems futile.

They would be missing a trick without a follow-up SNES and n64 that all sat in a custom rack or summat.

Hollow

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 16, 2016, 01:06:40 PM
Any chance this thing will be hackable? I really need to own it but without Battletoads it seems futile.

They would be missing a trick without a follow-up SNES and n64 that all sat in a custom rack or summat.

Do you have Battletoads?

Consignia

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 16, 2016, 01:06:40 PM

It looks like it's going to be read only and no connectivity, so I'd doubt it without a hardware modification. It's likely to be based on commodity hardware, so that'd be quite easy to modify if you can get into it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hollow on July 16, 2016, 01:40:13 PM
Do you have Battletoads?

No, it's just he way he walks.