Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit parts of classic games.

Started by Fry, August 16, 2016, 05:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: NoSleep on August 16, 2016, 04:56:35 PM
The only point in Ico that I was halted/stumped was that pump that you have to jump on to spring you up to the roof. I had actually tried it several times (and probably just missed the timing) so had eliminated that as the point of exit. After trying everything else I could think of, I eventually gave up and read a walkthrough, tried it again until I got the jump (still several times).
I did the exact same thing.

New Page+

Still Not George

I am very heartened that other people apparently hated that FUCKING BOAT LEVEL too. Makes me feel less alone as I sit in my darkened basement, nursing my rage.

brat-sampson

Halo: The fucking Library. Just one uninteresting corridor copy-pasted multiple times. Honestly don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

Drowning immediately in older GTAs because they didn't have a good way to implement swimming. Actually, make the all insta-death water in games.

That bit early-ish in Sonic 2 where if you miss a jump onto a moving platform you have to redo some tedious underwater platforming.

Anything that was overly grindy because of RNG. This still applies to current games, but I think I remember one of the DS Castlevanias that I loved but to get to a secret area you needed random drops from certain enemies, leading to younger me having to spend what felt like forever just mindlessly killing the same shit to get the drops. Fuck that.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Kelvin on August 16, 2016, 10:10:40 AM
The last third of Mario Galaxy. For the first two thirds, it's probably the single best game ever made - close to gaming perfection - then the last 40 stars are basically just races through levels you've already completed, one hit kill fights against bosses you've already fought, and the tedious collection of purple coins. I still play the game once every year, but never bother with the game post-final boss.
If it's after the final boss, it's reasonably to write it off as bonus tat for mental completionists, surely?

Kelvin

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on August 16, 2016, 05:21:23 PM
If it's after the final boss, it's reasonably to write it off as bonus tat for mental completionists, surely?

Well, the game contains 120 stars and generally you can collect them in any order you like, so long as you've unlocked the levels. You can complete the game just by collecting the 70+ mission stars, but the other 30-40 are really rubbish; unimaginative padding. It's not really for completionists, though. The game's not exactly huge and collecting 120 stars was great fun in Mario 64. We're not talking about shooting 100 pidgeons or finding secret walls throughout a huge level.

mobias

I was never a big fan of the quest in Witcher 3 where you have to heard a goat with a little ringing bell.

The worst bits of Rockstar's games are the sections where you have to listen to characters waffling on filling out the plot whilst on horse back with you in Red Dead Redemption or driving along in various vehicles in GTA. There was also the gang wars in San Andreas, which were fun on their own but the way you constantly got rung up on your mobile phone and told you had to go back and defend your territory was really tiresome. Similarly in GTAIV where your friends constantly rang you up wanting to go bowling or play pool. A good idea on paper I'm sure but the reality was just really annoying. The wanted system in GTAV was pretty badly implemented too. Kill someone on the summit of Mount Chilliad only for a police car to come flying out of nowhere a few moments later.   

The 2012 reboot of SSX wasn't exactly a classic game in itself but it was part of a classic series. The so called death pits you could fall into was one of the worst game design choices I've seen in a long time.   

Van Dammage

Quote from: mobias on August 16, 2016, 06:17:01 PM
I was never a big fan of the quest in Witcher 3 where you have to heard a goat with a little ringing bell.

The worst bits of Rockstar's games are the sections where you have to listen to characters waffling on filling out the plot whilst on horse back with you in Red Dead Redemption or driving along in various vehicles in GTA. There was also the gang wars in San Andreas, which were fun on their own but the way you constantly got rung up on your mobile phone and told you had to go back and defend your territory was really tiresome. Similarly in GTAIV where your friends constantly rang you up wanting to go bowling or play pool. A good idea on paper I'm sure but the reality was just really annoying. The wanted system in GTAV was pretty badly implemented too. Kill someone on the summit of Mount Chilliad only for a police car to come flying out of nowhere a few moments later.   

The 2012 reboot of SSX wasn't exactly a classic game in itself but it was part of a classic series. The so called death pits you could fall into was one of the worst game design choices I've seen in a long time.

Gta V had so many of them shit filler missions where you drive your daughter around or go to family therapy.

biggytitbo

More generally is all boss battles. I just hate the whole idea of boss battles, it completely ruins the fun and enjoyement of a game to be halted by some massive cunt that you can't beat. I'd warrant that the vast majority of people who have failed to finish a game they otherwise like is because off a shitty boss battle they couldn't get past.

mobias

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 16, 2016, 06:48:06 PM
More generally is say all boss battles. I just hate the whole idea of boss battles, it completely ruins the fun and enjoyement of a game to be halted by some massive cunt that you can't beat. I'd warrant that the vast majority of people who have failed to finish a game they otherwise like is because off a shifty boss battle they couldn't get past.

I'm not a fan of them either. Thats why I didn't get on with Bloodborne or the Souls games. They're just one huge annoyingly endless boss battle. A lot of people do love them though.

monolith

Most games I agree but some games have great boss fights (God of War games are essentially all about the boss fights and the bosses in the Diablo series are all good too).

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on August 16, 2016, 10:47:26 AM
Halo 1 & 2 - anything to do with The Flood - a tedious swarm only there to waste up your ammo and nothing else.

This is a common complaint which I must seek to change your mind on. The flood provide tactical variety, a more vicious opponent (they are always closing on you - no time for campers), and provide some amount of epic in that they allow for massive pitched battles between themselves and the Covenant. They're pretty tactically novel. They don't just run at you. They also arm themselves for range, swarm upon the fallen and turn them into their own and become suicide bombers with the big fat ones (who you can use against them). I'll admit the little critter ones which scurry at you en-masse are a bit irritating, but there is satisfaction from popping them all with your assault rifle or lobbing a grenade.

Quote from: brat-sampson on August 16, 2016, 05:14:59 PM
Halo: The fucking Library. Just one uninteresting corridor copy-pasted multiple times. Honestly don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

This is also sternly challenged. At first, The Library seemed like a terrible slog to me too, until I gradually came upon its artistic potential. Its all about beats. You need variety to sustain art. You can't have the game dynamics be the same throughout, and create a complete product. Every victory needs a loss to enhance itself. It's the most challenging level, as it strips you of your vehicles, and anywhere to hide and regenerate ('course, this was in the golden days of actual health loss, where a sense of threat actually existed and immersed you further into the world). Plus it has a visual and physical atmosphere of overwhelming oppression and monotony. It's a deliberate design choice rather than a bad one. I accept that most may not like it, but I think that they should, just in a different way.

I played Halo: Combat Evolved possibly more than any other game, and because of this got through The Library on Legendary difficulty. I rate it as one of my most deeply profound and challenging experiences. I'm pretty sure it has a similar effect as meditating for 10 years. An arduous journey where you discover many things about yourself, leaving enlightened.

One only truly knows himself after he has completed The Library on Legendary.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 16, 2016, 06:48:06 PM
More generally is all boss battles. I just hate the whole idea of boss battles, it completely ruins the fun and enjoyment of a game to be halted by some massive cunt that you can't beat. I'd warrant that the vast majority of people who have failed to finish a game they otherwise like is because off a shitty boss battle they couldn't get past.

Arkham Knight had a couple of particularly tedious and frustrating boss fights, not helped by the fact that you were in the Batmobile at the time, a mechanic that I was already sick of.

Speaking of the Arkham games though, I thought the one against Mr Freeze in City was one of the better boss fights for me in recent memory. Freeze adapts to whichever method of attack you choose, so you can't just use the same technique repeatedly, making the whole thing a lot more tense and varied.

Metal Gear Solid had great bosses.  The Psycho Mantis fight is such a memorable moment in gaming for me, I remember being astonished at the creativity and willingness to fuck with the player at the time.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on August 16, 2016, 08:32:26 PM
One only truly knows himself after he has completed The Library on Legendary.

Nah, I reckon you just caught Stadsbibliotek Syndrome.

HappyTree

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey was notoriously bad in the "combat" sections, though I never minded them. But the troll maze, man that's a slog. Even following a walkthrough it's painful.

GTA 5 has insanely touchy NPCs. Just today I was walking up towards the Yoga thing and passed some people around a fire. I kept my distance but one cunt started telling me I wasn't being cool. I'm sitting shouting at the TV "I'm not fucking doing ANYthing!"

"That's it, I'm calling the cops!"

Don't call the cops, I'm standing completely still about 10m away from you, you blithering twat.

I should have just shot him. Then the rest of them to stop them reporting it. All I wanted to do was some zen Yoga, not kill anyone. Sheesh!

Noodle Lizard

Each of the thousand parts in The Last Of Us where you have to reach a high ledge, so first you need to find a plank of wood or something.  What is that, padding?!  It's not challenging, it's not fun, it's literally just cumulatively hours added onto the gameplay.  I can't believe what an easy ride that game gets considering how lazy some of the gameplay is.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 16, 2016, 10:21:57 PM
Arkham Knight had a couple of particularly tedious and frustrating boss fights, not helped by the fact that you were in the Batmobile at the time, a mechanic that I was already sick of.

YES!  Arkham Knight is fucking shit, no clue why it's been as highly praised as it has.  The Bat-tank is one of the most boring devices imaginable, and yet they insist on making you do those stupid fights in it all the time.  No thanks mate it's boring.

That bit in Taito's otherwise amazing Metal Black where it goes all early nineties 3D and you have to shoot down ships for bonus score is awful, I'd play that game way more if they weren't there.

That bit in every Metal Slug after and including three where you eat one too many food bonus items and the game turns you into a planet bothering fat fuck, it was sort of funny the very first time it happened, not funny enough to be included in every metal slug since though.

Also see...Zombies, MS3 has a lot to answer for.

fuck...I'll have to think of another one now.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 17, 2016, 03:50:12 AM
YES!  Arkham Knight is fucking shit, no clue why it's been as highly praised as it has.  The Bat-tank is one of the most boring devices imaginable, and yet they insist on making you do those stupid fights in it all the time.  No thanks mate it's boring.

I don't know about 'shit', it's half a decent game...it's a small half though.

Captain Poodle Basher

.... There was also the gang wars in San Andreas, which were fun on their own but the way you constantly got rung up on your mobile phone and told you had to go back and defend your territory was really tiresome. Similarly in GTAIV where your friends constantly rang you up wanting to go bowling or play pool. A good idea on paper I'm sure but the reality was just really annoying. The wanted system in GTAV was pretty badly implemented too. Kill someone on the summit of Mount Chilliad only for a police car to come flying out of nowhere a few moments later....

In GTA San Andreas, there was one teeny-tiny sliver of a territory Downtown that was nigh impossible to trigger a turf war so that you could take it over. So few AI gang members would turn up that your stars would go back down again. 

The cops in GTA V really pissed me off. Get wanted stars, drive like a maniac to lose them only for a solitary patrol car to get the hump and follow you about the place like an unwanted shadow. Sometimes it would even keep the siren and flashing lights on yet you'd have no wanted stars showing.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Wizkid

You get through all the arcadey bits which are great fun, all the puzzley bits which are absolute genius and great fun.

Then in order to win the game you need to get (what I recall as) an astronomical score in Asteroids. Never did it.

Although writing this has made me want to revisit the game.

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on August 17, 2016, 08:50:40 AM
Wizkid

You get through all the arcadey bits which are great fun, all the puzzley bits which are absolute genius and great fun.

Then in order to win the game you need to get (what I recall as) an astronomical score in Asteroids. Never did it.

Although writing this has made me want to revisit the game.

Good call...good old Sensi, keeping it real.

Although if you do get the call, a good tip for Asteroids is if you can help it...don't move from the centre, that's when all the trouble starts.

chand

The worst bits of Rockstar's games are the sections where you have to listen to characters waffling on filling out the plot whilst on horse back with you in Red Dead Redemption or driving along in various vehicles in GTA.

Dialogue that occurs during gameplay can be supremely irritating, used to bug me that I'd hear the same lines over and over in Splinter Cell as I had to redo bits. Mirror's Edge Catalyst was the fucking dirt worst for it, an otherwise pretty good game. It's full of sub-two-minute runs that you'll need to attempt 10 or 15 times, so it's infuriating that you hear the same fucking dialogue again and again every time you repeat it. I remember doing one run where my goal was not to get spotted (literally no idea how that was meant to work with the time limit), and a guy kept yelling in my ear the same line over and over again about how he told me not to get spotted. Drove me fucking nuts.

madhair60

People calling Arkham Knight shit all over the internet is baffling to me. I thought it was amazing. Best one in the series, and they're all good.

Quote from: Kelvin on August 16, 2016, 05:34:00 PM
Well, the game contains 120 stars and generally you can collect them in any order you like, so long as you've unlocked the levels. You can complete the game just by collecting the 70+ mission stars, but the other 30-40 are really rubbish; unimaginative padding. It's not really for completionists, though. The game's not exactly huge and collecting 120 stars was great fun in Mario 64. We're not talking about shooting 100 pidgeons or finding secret walls throughout a huge level.

Yes this is where Nintendo shoots themselves in the feet with their high standards.

In ANY other (non nintendo) game those less than brilliant stars would seem like works of genius.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2016, 09:38:57 AM
People calling Arkham Knight shit all over the internet is baffling to me. I thought it was amazing. Best one in the series, and they're all good.

It's a bit like Batman killing loads of people in BvS...it's just not very Batman.

It's a credit to the other elements in the game this reaction...people just wanted to do that other stuff and resented the mindless bang bang of the tank sections...I mean how underused was that VR crime reconstruction? Why? It was the best new bit.

Not nice to be thinking you are an idiot in the face of overwhelming public opinion though, not nice at all.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2016, 09:38:57 AM

I actually still really enjoyed it, in spite of some of the elements I mentioned. I thought what they did with
Spoiler alert
the Joker
[close]
was great.

Consignia

I enjoyed everything out of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. But everything inside I was like:

BritishHobo

Another vote for the boat level in Half-Life 2. I wasn't the biggest fan of the driving parts either. They both made the game-world feel nice and expansive, but I felt they both really dragged on. Always clambering out to open gates and knock over bridges so you can get back in and carry on.