Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game of Thrones Series Seven

Started by Gurke and Hare, August 31, 2016, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

BritishHobo

Ooh, interesting casting. There certainly can't be too many new characters coming in, as season 6 put the show pretty far down the path of compressing all the plotlines and characters.

I'd forgotten until opening this thread that season six officially confirmed R + L = J.

I'm most excited for what happens to Jaime. The growth of his character through seasons two and three, his relationship with Brienne and the exploration of the origins of his reputation made him a really fascinating, layered character with the potential for redemption... and then he got back to King's Landing and has sort-of just hovered around in the wings for a couple of seasons, serving as Cersei's faithful lapdog in all things. The look he gave her in the finale as she took the thrones gave me goosebumps. Their relationship essentially kicked off the show, and the role of the Starks in the wider political situation. I cannot wait to see how things end with them. I do hope Tyrion makes it back before one of them kills the other, though.

Mobius

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 31, 2016, 09:43:50 PM
I'm guessing
Spoiler alert
Howland Reed
[close]

Spoiler alert
I'm not too sure what the point of Howland Reed is now. The theory was he'd show up at some stage and reveal Jon's heritage and what happened at the Tower of Joy, but we've seen both of them already now. Plus Jojen's properly dead in the show and has been for a while, and I don't think he and Meera mentioned their dad half as much in the show as they have in the book, as well as The Neck / Crannogmen / The Bogs and all that.

I reckon he'll be that cool Maester from the Citadel from the latest book, nice big monologues and exposition.

[close]

BritishHobo

Aye, that's what I was thinking. Any backstory they need to pack in relating to Ned (if there is any, now) they can do through Bran. I suppose he might be worth something as proof of Bran's claim though, as 'I saw it in my mind when faffing around north of the wall' might not be the most convincing of arguments.

greenman

Theres a difference between the audience knowing something and characters knowing something of course and it could potentially be Reed informs characters who haven't met Bran. That said I could see Broadbent playing either of those roles well and generally I think the show is likely to limit any new introductions to the story now, the Arch Maester is someone we have to see where as Howland Reed isn't.

The main unknowns for next season seem to be whats going to happen with Jon/Sansa/Littlefinger and what Ayra is likely to do next. They seem to have hinted that theres going to be some kind of conflict with the former group, I could definitely see Sansa ending up playing politics in the south with Littlefinger, perhaps marrying Robin and taking the Vale forces to that end? Ayra I suspect will meet some or all of the Hound/Brotherhood/Mel and either have a big climax there or more likely head south to Kings Landing with the Hound to go after Cersei.

phantom_power

I think they have just come up with a character for him to play as he is the only English actor yet to have a part in the show

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on September 01, 2016, 02:21:04 PM
I think they have just come up with a character for him to play as he is the only English actor yet to have a part in the show

Adam Woodyatt? or did he play a ginger Frey son in the background somewhere?

Gulftastic

Quote from: greenman on September 01, 2016, 06:55:10 PM
Adam Woodyatt? or did he play a ginger Frey son in the background somewhere?

He played Theon's stunt cock.

mothman

Wellard was presumably one of Ramsay's dogs. But I've not seen Dean Gaffney anywhere.

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, he's obviously going to be the maester. I think Howland Reed will turn up though - when Bran gets to Winterfell they'll send for him.

Dannyhood91

I'm putting ten quid on the season ending revealing that it's all a big LARPING session that got a bit out of hand so they all get picked up by their mums and go home.

phantom_power

It will all turn out to be set in an autistic child's snow globe

Dex Sawash

Spoiler alert
I will probably watch this when it airs
[close]

Gurke and Hare

Maybe, the plot of series seven has leaked: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-entire-plot-of-the-next-season-of-game-of-thrones-s-1788659452?utm_source=deadspin_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016-11-07

Article obviously contains spoilers, but not at the top and gives you decent warning before you hit them. I've not read any, but I've bookmarked it here so I can read it after it's been on.

Sam

Read. They're not really that big and reading them will hardly spoil my enjoyment of the show. Take a peek.

Bhazor

The way everything is escalating since it went off the books. You reckon this will be the series we finally see a clitoris?

NoSleep

Quote from: Mobius on September 01, 2016, 04:30:41 AM
Spoiler alert
I'm not too sure what the point of Howland Reed is now. The theory was he'd show up at some stage and reveal Jon's heritage and what happened at the Tower of Joy, but we've seen both of them already now.
[close]

All we've seen is Bran having a vision; who else knows?

EDIT: What Greenman said.

Definitely Jaime is the man to watch (I think he'll turn out to be the mythical leader they've all been waiting for, rather than Danaerys or Jon). Jaime's already been one of the key players throughout (and before: killing the Mad King). And he can definitely fulfil that prophecy of pulling a sword from the flames with his fake hand.

Custard

Can anyone think of a Thrones spin-off you'd actually wanna see?

I've just spent ten minutes trying to think of one, and couldn't.

Young Ned? But that's been shown in the show

Erm...

Dragon Tits' dad, The Mad King Years?

NoSleep

There's 10,000 years of history to pick from. Could keep it fairly contemporary and view the original Targaryen coup of three hundred years earlier. Or the destruction of Valyria. The building of the Wall. Probably better to focus in on something less epic where the writers could have a little license and an element of surprise.

DrunkCountry

robotam

The Dunk and Egg stories could be quite good. The three stories published have all been relatively small scale and are only set around 90 years before Game of Thrones.

phantom_power

I think all of the history is good background for the show and gives the world, characters and plot more depth but I have no interest in seeing a show about any of it

Dex Sawash

Hot Pie's Great Westeros Bake-Off

robotam

On his blog old George has said none of the spinoffs will be about Dunk and Egg or Robert's rebellion.
Also

Quoteall of you who were hoping for the further adventures of Hot Pie are doomed to disappointment
fuck

NoSleep

Hot Pie's recommendation for sprinkling ground cherry seeds onto a pie is a sure fire way to get cyanide poisoning. I wonder if GRRM knowingly wrote the tip or if he's been poisoning himself all along?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: NoSleep on May 15, 2017, 05:19:19 PM
Hot Pie's recommendation for sprinkling ground cherry seeds onto a pie is a sure fire way to get cyanide poisoning. I wonder if GRRM knowingly wrote the tip or if he's been poisoning himself all along?

a proper flaugnarde has some cherry pit in it

edit- maybe it's ground almond

NoSleep

Yeah but they aren't ground up, so even if you swallowed one it would pass through you without any effect.