Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam Series 3 finally coming to BBC Radio 4 Extra (+ Raw Meat Radio repeat).

Started by Beep Cleep Chimney, October 19, 2016, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Radio 4 Extra have just tweeted confirming they're finally going to be repeating series 3 of Blue Jam from next week.  (Not sure what day yet).

This is preceded by a repeat of the excellent Raw Meat Radio documentary this coming Saturday (22nd October) at 7pm.

So that's good.

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4Extra/status/788770528983212032

kaprisky

Just one question: series 2 episode 1 is meant to be 55 minutes, not 52, right?

Another question: on the GLR shows, we've heard the 'Transplant Rap', yes?

Porter Dimi

Quote from: kaprisky on October 21, 2016, 09:30:54 PM
Just one question: series 2 episode 1 is meant to be 55 minutes, not 52, right?

As Beep Cleep Chimney mentions here, there was a big chunk cut out out of the recent BBC re-runs, for some reason. Spiral King has helpfully shared an edited FLAC version in this post, with the missing three minutes re-inserted.

Spiral King

Oh good! I was hoping this would finally happen.

As ever, I'll be on stand-by to edit FLAC versions of these six programmes together. I'm going to have another go at seeing if the iPlayer ripper will play ball in getting me the highest quality AAC files... so, fingers crossed that works. If not, hopefully olliebean (or someone equally as awesome) will be able to have them available for tinkering with.

Hopefully whoever is announcing these can keep themselves quiet during the intro and the outro, but I'll edit in from the original Radio 1 MP3s if needed. Let's also hope there's not a repeat of the Series 2, Episode 1 debacle.

To get everyone who hasn't heard Blue Jam up to speed, here's an edited repost of my Blue Jam archiving post from nearly two years ago now (crikey):

Blue Jam - Series 1
Original Radio 1 Broadcast Dates: 14th November 1997 to 19th December 1997. 12:00am to 1:00am.
Repeated Radio 4 Extra Broadcast Dates: 28th February 2014 to 28th March 2014. 11:00pm to 12:00am.

Episode 1
[Edited 2014 FLAC]
[Unedited 2014 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2014 Freeview MP2]
[Edited 1997 Radio 1 MP3]

Episode 2
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 4
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 5
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 6
[Edited 2014 Composite FLAC]*
[Edited 1997 Radio 1 MP3]*

*: This episode was not broadcast in full. This episode was also not rebroadcast at all. Material from this episode was rebroadcast as Episode 1 of Series 2. The FLAC version was edited together by DJ Solid Snail from various sources.

Blue Jam - Series 2
Original Radio 1 Broadcast Dates: 27th March 1998 to 1st May 1998. 1:00am to 2:00am.
Repeated Radio 4 Extra Broadcast Dates: 5th December 2014 to 9th January 2015. 11:00pm to 12:00am.

Episode 1
[Edited 2014 FLAC]
[Unedited 2014 iPlayer M4A]*
[Unedited 2014 Freeview MP2]*
[Edited 1998 Radio 1 MP3]
*: The 2014 repeat is missing 3 minutes of sketch material from the original episode. Downloading the unedited 2014 files is only advised for archival purposes, and not for general listening.

Episode 2
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 4
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 5
[Edited 2015 FLAC]
[Unedited 2015 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2015 Freeview MP2]

Episode 6
[Edited 2015 FLAC]
[Unedited 2015 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2015 Freeview MP2]

Special Thanks to: Neil (for obvious reasons), Steve bass2rez (for the original Radio 1 rips), olliebean (for all the M4As and MP2s), Phil_A (for editing the 2014 Series 1 repeats and inspiring me), archive.org (which now hosts all the original Radio 1 rips), Poster Dimi (for the cover art), DJ Solid Snail (for the Series 1, Episode 6 recreation) and everyone else who posted in the Series 1 and 2 thread. You're all pretty cool people.

larrybob

Good to hear that I can listen to the Raw Meat Radio retrospective on iPlayer even here in the US. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

Spiral King

Totally forgot when exactly this was on. Oh well... hopefully it shows up on iPlayer soon after it's done going out.

olliebean, are you grabbing a Freeview rip?

olliebean

I am, but my Freeview reception's been a bit dodgy recently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a clean one. I'll grab the iPlayer version in the morning anyway, and bung that up on Mega along with the Freeview rip if it's good.

Spiral King

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2016, 11:53:13 PM
I am, but my Freeview reception's been a bit dodgy recently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a clean one. I'll grab the iPlayer version in the morning anyway, and bung that up on Mega along with the Freeview rip if it's good.

Cheers, ears. I'll see if I can get the iPlayer file myself, but if get_iplayer acts like a fool I'll just wait for your rips.

Proof we're truly in the future. Terrible opinions from stuffy old people in real time. No longer do we need to wait for indignant phone calls to Points of View.

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2016, 11:53:13 PM

Gawd bless ya.

Spiral King

Vaguely smooth ending. I think we got like an additional few seconds there... Anyone who caught the opening, did Smith blather and sigh all over it or was it pretty clean?

Edit:

Jenner describes himself as an "amateur movie critic". I can only hope a scathing Blue Jam article is in the works.

olliebean

Now uploading both versions. The Freeview record log shows a handful of errors, but I can't hear them - anyway, I've included the log so you can see where they occurred.

The files will appear at https://mega.nz/#F!esg1ASrA!sDxJS-Xh8kYi1W6k4K3nuw when they've uploaded - it's going in fits and starts; I'd give it half an hour at least.

<edit> should be there now.

Spiral King

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 1 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

Sorry for the wait on this one, guys - had a busy day at work. There's a few seconds in the intro and outro on the M4A that don't exist in the 1999 MP3. There's like a half second more of intro on the MP2, but I found patching it together in Audacity a bit difficult and it's like half a second, so whatever. Smith kinda talks over the last two seconds of the ending song, so I faded that out before he opens his gob. Pretty easy edit all in all.

Spiral King

Episode 2 is now on. Well, will be in a second. Two cackling ladies right now. I really like this episode - especially the music.

Edit: Really clean opening. Sterling. Also really love the brass sample buried under the rest of the intro.

Spiral King

Esthero's "That Girl" is probably one of my favourite tracks used in Blue Jam. I adore the way the two cafe sketches are woven into it. I know Series 3 can be a little weak compared to the first two, but that's a seriously strong moment for me.

I also can't stress how much better these digital broadcasts are compared to what went out in 1999 (and again in 2000). I think the original Series 3 Radio 1 broadcasts are much better quality than the Series 1 and 2 captures from their original broadcasts, but this new repeat is still so much cleaner. Really, really pleasing to my ears.

Edit:

Spiral King

Mr. Jenner shows up just in time for the dead baby sketch.

Edit:

RADIO OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! (until next week at exactly the same time obvs)

Spiral King

This sketch about the office worker jumping on his balls is the best definition of Blue Jam's more whimsical side. Just bizarre in a very comfy way. Cann sells it thoroughly. Good musical choice to boot.

Sorry though, I'm mistaken, it's actually "offensive garbage". Never mind.

Spiral King

Very clean outro. Editing this will be immensely easy. Hopefully it shows up on iPlayer soon.

iPlayer version of Episode 2 cuts out before the end.  Misses out the last 30 seconds or so of the outro.
Hopefully olliebean managed to get a Freeview rip.

olliebean

iPlayer and Freesat versions now uploading - should be done in 20-30 minutes. Same URL as last week. (Freesat is the same bitrate as Freeview, and I get more reliable reception - no stream errors this time.)

Shaky

Quote from: Spiral King on November 05, 2016, 12:00:05 AM
This sketch about the office worker jumping on his balls is the best definition of Blue Jam's more whimsical side. Just bizarre in a very comfy way. Cann sells it thoroughly. Good musical choice to boot.

Sorry though, I'm mistaken, it's actually "offensive garbage". Never mind.

I'm not convinced that twitter account is serious. He gives a birthday shout-out to Roger Moore and gibbers on about Lewis Hamilton. Pure Partridge!

Spiral King

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on November 05, 2016, 08:45:45 AM
iPlayer version of Episode 2 cuts out before the end.  Misses out the last 30 seconds or so of the outro.
Hopefully olliebean managed to get a Freeview rip.

Ugh, thanks iPlayer. Time to get scrubbed up for surgery, I guess.

Quote from: olliebean on November 05, 2016, 09:01:03 AM
iPlayer and Freesat versions now uploading - should be done in 20-30 minutes. Same URL as last week. (Freesat is the same bitrate as Freeview, and I get more reliable reception - no stream errors this time.)

Getting a "undecrypted file" message in the directory. I'm assuming this means they're not finished uploading yet?

Quote from: Shaky on November 05, 2016, 09:31:26 AM
I'm not convinced that twitter account is serious. He gives a birthday shout-out to Roger Moore and gibbers on about Lewis Hamilton. Pure Partridge!

Poe's law, innit.

Once olliebean's files are available, the edited complete version should be up in an hour or two after that, chaps.

olliebean

Quote from: Spiral King on November 05, 2016, 07:31:11 PMGetting a "undecrypted file" message in the directory. I'm assuming this means they're not finished uploading yet?

Only just seen this - I'm afraid this seems to be my fault. I was using a 3rd-party program to upload the files that I haven't used before with Mega, and when I checked online (while logged into my Mega account) they seemed to have uploaded OK. But evidently this left them in an encrypted state, and unavailable to anyone else. Apparently I had to log out and log back in in order for the files to be decrypted - just being logged in and visiting the page wasn't enough.

Anyway, I've done that now, and checked that the downloads work while not logged in. Massive apologies for the delay. At least I'll know not to make the same mistake next week.

Spiral King

Blue Jam - Series 3, Episode 2 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A and MP2 > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

This was way more complicated than it needed to be. What should have been a five minute top and tail job turned into a tedious 30 minute waveform-matching session of joining the MP2 to the abrupt end of the M4A. Thanks, iPlayer admins. Oh well, it's perfectly seamless, and as previously mentioned in the thread, Smith is very well behaved. Not an inhale, exhale or pointless-ramble-over-the-outro in sight. Enjoy, guys.

Spiral King

A quick heads up: Episode 3 is on in 8 minutes or so.

Edit: It's on. Holy shit that clean opening with like four seconds of additional intro. Good stuff. Driveling like a daughter.

Spiral King

Probably the most heart breaking of the Him monologues. Most of the Series 3 ones paint Him in a much more sympathetic light than the first two series. This one and Suzy's Wedding hit very hard for me.

Spiral King

All right, which one of you is poking Michael?

Also, I'm very glad Morris didn't attempt to recreate the "seriously injured" man from the Injure for Friends sketch in Jam. Probably would have either 1) looked unconvincing or 2) been way too much.