Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkCountry

First trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HRx_0fimc

I hope this is really, really grim.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

You can tell there is great sadness in his soul because they're using select any track from Johnny Cash's last album.

Phil_A

I can't wait to see how this ends with an exciting climax where Wolverine has to fight a giant CG thing.

In all seriousness I did really enjoy The Wolverine, except for the last half hour were it abruptly reverts to a standard superhero movie and plays out the same final act as every superhero movie ever.

This could be good though, we'll see.

Kelvin

I thought the trailer was great. If you hadn't noticed we have 6 million light and frothy comic book films from Marvel. Let Sony make something a little more serious. It doesn't have to be DC levels of grim, and if anything, the feeling I got from the trailer was that they want to make it more of a low key character piece this time.

Yes, the other Wolverine films were trash. But honestly, Sony's X-men films are often (but certainly not always) very good, so I'm optimistic they might have got it right this time. Certainly the trailer looked more interesting than 90% of other superhero movies right now. 

biggytitbo

If you hadn't told me I genuinely would have thought it was a biopic of Noel Edmonds.

hewantstolurkatad

I see Stephen Merchant is in it, he's been good in all of those grim serious films I've seen him in.

Quote from: Kelvin on October 21, 2016, 08:44:19 PM
I thought the trailer was great. If you hadn't noticed we have 6 million light and frothy comic book films from Marvel. Let Sony make something a little more serious. It doesn't have to be DC levels of grim, and if anything, the feeling I got from the trailer was that they want to make it more of a low key character piece this time.

Yes, the other Wolverine films were trash. But honestly, Sony's X-men films are often (but certainly not always) very good, so I'm optimistic they might have got it right this time. Certainly the trailer looked more interesting than 90% of other superhero movies right now.
What are you biblbing on about, Sony don't have the rights to X-men. Its Fox you noob!

Kelvin

I meant Fox, you nerd!

Shaky

This actually looks very decent. The following will happen, of course, and we'll be left with half a good film in the end:

Quote from: Phil_A on October 21, 2016, 07:56:47 PM
...an exciting climax where Wolverine has to fight a giant CG thing.

Dr Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL3dH8U4ezs

There's a breakdown of the trailer here - Stephen Merchant really is Caliban. Bizarre.

Bazooka

On the topic of Stephen Merchant, he has been cast to play Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's character in the Game of Death remake.

Quote from: Bazooka on October 23, 2016, 06:05:00 AM
On the topic of Stephen Merchant, he has been cast to play Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's character in the Game of Death remake.

I actually Googled.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bazooka on October 23, 2016, 06:05:00 AM

I bet whoever is playing Bruce Lee is shitting himself.

Glebe

I was a little disappointed in The Wolverine, it started well but I think they should have kept the Viper character out of it and that. Still, that's a great trailer, fingers crossed and that. I still haven't seen X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but I don't imagine I'm missing much.

Here's the trailer in B&W (fan-made). Mad Max: Fury Road may be starting a trend!

Another coupla things:

Pics.

Logan trailer breakdown: James Mangold talks us through the teaser.

DrunkCountry

Sam

Looks shit. I hope the entire marvel cinematic universe and all those who work on it and enjoy it get buried in a big pile of silt. Nice to see Mel Gibson's career continuing to develop, though.

Glebe

Glebe

An International poster for yah:

Glebe

Glebe

Glebe

Ryan Reynolds replies to Deadpool cameo rumour:

QuoteNo. I want a Deadpool/Wolvie film. But Logan is its own unique & perfect thing. The Big Red Shit-Talker wouldn't mix with the tone.

The idea that Deadpool would appear in this is be fucking ridiculous.

New poster:

Kelvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaE_9pfybL4

New trailer, and it's another pretty good one. Certainly shows more promise that 90% of superhero film trailers, even if it turns out to bear little resemblance to the final film. Don't like the
Spoiler alert
overly meta nod to the comics
[close]
, though. Feels very jarring with the tone of the rest of it.

Bingo Fury

New and, apparently, final trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaE_9pfybL4

I'm actually genuinely excited about this now, as compared to  most other Marvel films, for which my reaction rarely bobs above "mildly curious, will watch the DVD when it comes out".

What if Logan turns out to be a raging success? The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been getting more crowded and more cosmic with each passing year. I mean, it's really interesting: making Dr Strange to introduce a mystical element to the MCU, bringing in Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thanos to allow them to give it an interplanetary side. Presenting an entire comic book universe in cinematic form has never been done before, and it's fascinating to see them do it. But what it Logan is a hit and marks a shift in audience preference for comic-book-based movies away from big, crowded CGI fests towards smaller, more intimate films? Marvel have got these two gargantuan Avengers films coming up. Could Logan be the "Bourne Identity" that makes them look like bloated products of a past era before they're even released?

Edit: sorry, Kelvin. Spent longer writing this post than I realised.

Kelvin

No problem :)

Quote from: Bingo Fury on January 19, 2017, 07:08:27 PM
What if Logan turns out to be a raging success? The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been getting more crowded and more cosmic with each passing year. I mean, it's really interesting: making Dr Strange to introduce a mystical element to the MCU, bringing in Guardians Of The Galaxy and Thanos to allow them to give it an interplanetary side. Presenting an entire comic book universe in cinematic form has never been done before, and it's fascinating to see them do it. But what it Logan is a hit and marks a shift in audience preference for comic-book-based movies away from big, crowded CGI fests towards smaller, more intimate films? Marvel have got these two gargantuan Avengers films coming up. Could Logan be the "Bourne Identity" that makes them look like bloated products of a past era before they're even released?

I'm hoping for a better, more interesting film than the Disney movies, but think it's extremely unlikely that Logan will do as well as the current Marvel cinematic universe. I do want it to do well, though, so that Fox have a reason to retain the rights and make more lower key films in the same vein.

SteveDave

Glebe

Well looking forward to it, especially since Mangold doesn't have to get bogged by the expanded X-Men Universe this time (apart from that little gag in the trailer, apparently!).

[FAKE EDIT]Aaaand:

Trailer #2: Extended red band version.

Glebe

'Logan' Director James Mangold on Ending Wolverine's Story, Plus: Deadpool, 'Watchmen' and More.

QuoteFandango: Was there anything you wanted to put in this movie that you couldn't? Any of the other X-Men or stuff like that?

Mangold:
No. I think the most interesting thing we're doing in relation to the X-Men – and when you see the whole movie, it's very provocative – is the idea that these characters live with their own legends in the movie. What I mean by that is that the X-Men comic books exist in this movie. X-Men action figures exist in the movie. These characters are all aging celebrities, and all these stories that have been written down and told exist as part of the universe in the movie.

Part of the burden for Logan as he tries to move on with his life is that the celebrity and notoriety of his past haunt him. That to me was a very interesting dynamic to try to play, and it ends up playing an integral role in what happens in the movie. I think it's very provocative, and more like life. When you're a famous movie star or hero or politician or sports star, you coexist with your publicity, with your legend, and probably with your own feelings of inadequacy in relation to that legend. That's something interesting we get to explore.

Fandango: Seems very Watchmen-esque...

Mangold:
Yes, it's got that to it.

Fandango: Was Watchmen an influence for you on Logan?

Mangold:
The comic book, yes. I don't think the movie got to come quite full circle on it, but I think that's a great concept in Watchmen, yes.

Hmmm.