Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Obel on March 23, 2017, 03:20:00 PM
But kids hands are fine?

As long as they put them together neatly on the plate after they've finished.

Glebe

Saw it again today, think I actually enjoyed it more the second time out.

And agreed, Merchant acquits himself well in a dramatic role.

Small Man Big Horse

Now available, albeit with korean subtitles. But I don't care because unlike you I'm not racist.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: weekender on March 06, 2017, 07:51:58 PM
What I'd also like to know when it comes to child actors like the one who plays Laura, is if they get to see the finished film, or if they have to wait until they're 16/18/whatever?

She's maybe 10 or 11, I dunno, but her character just stabs people through the head with her claws.  I get how the effects are done, and that's fine, but is there a thing where someone goes:

"You were great, you did a really good hurricanrana, but we can't show you what that looks like in the actual film because it looks like you have claws and there's a lot of blood and this bit here, well, it has bits of brain in it in the actual film and you did dismember a bad guy, so you'll have to wait until you're a 12A to see it".

I've heard of cases in the past where they've done a kids cut with all the violence / nudity / swearing taken out, but that's by no means a regular occurrence. And if that doesn't happen, then no, they can't see it until they're old enough.

I liked this a lot, as pretty much everyone's said it's overlong, and there was the odd unintentional laugh (
Spoiler alert
Wolverine running out of steam in the forest before taking his meds looked particularly daft
[close]
) and Richard E Grant was a bit flat, but I was mostly gripped throughout and enjoyed it greatly as a whole.

phantom_power

I am sure child actors can see the films they are in at some sort of private screening where a rating is presumably not required

Repeater

the rating isn't a legal thing anyway

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Repeater on April 17, 2017, 09:56:50 AM
the rating isn't a legal thing anyway

In the UK it is. Minors cannot see 15 or 18 rated films, even if accompanied by an adult. In the US, minors can see an R rated film if accompanied by an adult.

Logan is an R in the US and a 15 in the UK, so the child actors could go to the US but not the UK premiere.

Repeater

Don't believe ye.

phantom_power

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 17, 2017, 04:56:59 PM
In the UK it is. Minors cannot see 15 or 18 rated films, even if accompanied by an adult. In the US, minors can see an R rated film if accompanied by an adult.

Logan is an R in the US and a 15 in the UK, so the child actors could go to the US but not the UK premiere.

Not to go on about this because who gives a shit but surely ratings are only for screenings for paying customers. I don't need a rating to show my family videos of my holiday. Often premiers are held before an official rating is given as well I am sure.

SteveDave

I was quite bored by this. Quite.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: phantom_power on April 18, 2017, 09:50:08 AM
Not to go on about this because who gives a shit but surely ratings are only for screenings for paying customers. I don't need a rating to show my family videos of my holiday. Often premiers are held before an official rating is given as well I am sure.

Cinemas have to have a licence and the terms of the Licensing Act 2003 requires them to enforce the ratings restrictions.

Quote from: BBFCCinemas require a licence from the local authority in which they operate. The licence must include a condition requiring the admission of children (anyone under 18) to any film to be restricted in accordance with our recommendations or those of the licensing authority. One of the key reasons for the licensing requirement is the protection of children, including from potentially harmful content in films.

Blumf

The local authority can issue wavers though[nb]I assume they do this for test audience screenings before the final cut would exist to be rated[/nb]

It's more likely that they'd hold a private showing in a studio's own screening room which wouldn't be subject to the licensing laws anyway.

Glebe

'Noir' version trailer.

Dunno if this is getting a limited theatrical run, but as the trailer states, it's included on the Blu-ray.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This seems exactly as pointless as the Fury Road one.

greenman

Not seen it but the trailer does make the Fury Road one look interesting in how it renders some of the visuals, dust, storms, flame, etc, this seems more like a case of thinking monochrome will add grit which the film doesn't really need.

Repeater

Think it's past the tipping point now with all this 'grittiness' and 'darkness'.

greenman

I can see perhaps the stuff in Mexico working reasonably well but the scenes in the US to me really worked by playing up the tacky backwaterness of the setting which I'm not sure I see monochrome helping with.

Kelvin

Quote from: Repeater on May 17, 2017, 09:54:30 AM
Think it's past the tipping point now with all this 'grittiness' and 'darkness'.

Based on what? All the Disney films (Marvel, Star Wars) are lighter and more upbeat in tone, broadly speaking. They certainly couldn't be described as gritty.

Plus, Logan might be dark, but it's also absolutely brilliant, far better than any DC or Disney Marvel film I've watched in years.

Repeater

I mean specifically the aura of darkness surrounding this film.

Kelvin

Quote from: Repeater on May 17, 2017, 10:27:28 AM
I mean specifically the aura of darkness surrounding this film.

So, do you just mean the black and white stuff (Which I agree is naff), or do you think the film itself is too gritty/dark?

I'd agree with the latter if I thought it was superficial, but the entire film is dealing with much darker themes and ideas than most superhero movies. Why shouldn't a blockbuster exist that actually deals with darker themes in a (relatively) mature and interesting way?

Repeater

I like the film, just think the hype, review, fan edit etc. about the darkness has been a bit much. Sick of hearing about it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Repeater on May 17, 2017, 10:41:30 AM
I like the film, just think the hype, review, fan edit etc. about the darkness has been a bit much. Sick of hearing about it.

Ah, right. I can understand that. This black and white version is definitely guilty of that.

phantom_power

The black and white version is the director's choice though. He made this film that is good so maybe we should trust him that the b&w version might be worth bothering with

chocky909

I've heard Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain is next up for the special B&W version.

phantom_power

Followed by Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man

Kelvin

Schindler's list is being re-released with the girl's coat now black and white!

chocky909

Is there any real reason why buying these special B&W Blurays is better than simply turning the colour to 0 on your TV and adjusting the contrast until it looks nice?

I admit I have bought The Mist 2 disc special edition with B&W version and am tempted by Mad Max too but only because I don't already own it on BR.

Quote from: chocky909 on May 17, 2017, 10:54:44 PM
Is there any real reason why buying these special B&W Blurays is better than simply turning the colour to 0 on your TV and adjusting the contrast until it looks nice?
I expect they'll have adjusted the brightness and contrast on each shot, rather than just for the entire film as a whole. It's still a faddy load of guff, mind.

phantom_power

Do you think the same about any artistic choice to shoot in black and white?