Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on January 20, 2017, 03:43:08 AM
Well looking forward to it, especially since Mangold doesn't have to get bogged by the expanded X-Men Universe this time (apart from that little gag in the trailer, apparently!).

[FAKE EDIT]Aaaand:

Trailer #2: Extended red band version.

Oooooorh. Professor X done a swear!!!

Glebe

Wet Blanket

Look at the size of that R certificate. Harks back to the old days of movie posters: RATED XXX STRICTLY ADULTS ONLY!!!!!

Glebe

popcorn

Malcy

I absolutely DETEST Marvel and it's constant spewing of CGI heavy superhero shite into the cinema year in year out.

However i saw the trailer for this in the cinema last night and it really looks like a proper film. May have to go see it.

Glebe

IMAX poster:

That's a nice poster, that is.

Bazooka

So the little girl is a Logan too?

mothman

And, also, apparently, Little Jimmy Osmond.

Glebe

Kelvin

Wow, IGN gave this a 9.7, which is higher than any comic book film I can remember since The Dark Knight.

Glebe

Quote from: Kelvin on February 17, 2017, 10:12:42 PM
Wow, IGN gave this a 9.7, which is higher than any comic book film I can remember since The Dark Knight.

Yeah, it's getting some cracking reviews. Fingahz crossed.

samadriel

Shaky

This really does sound fantastically bleak and gritty in a way few other superhero flicks have even attempted. Not Snyder pseudo-realism, either - PROPER EMOTIONS AND ARCS AND STUFF. Really looking forward to it.

Glebe

mothman

Why is it narrated by the "Crush Your Head" guy from The Kids In The Hall?

Glebe

Patrick Stewart says he's retiring from X-Men franchise: 'I'm done'.

Quote"A week ago, Friday night in Berlin, the three of us sat, watching the movie," said Stewart. "And I was so moved by it, much more moved than I had been the first time of seeing it. Maybe it was the company of these two guys, but the movie ended and — this is an admission — but at one point [Hugh] reached out, and he took my hand in those last few minutes, and I saw him go [mimes wiping a tear from his eye] like this, and then I realized I had just done the same thing. Then, the movie ended... and we were going to be taken up on stage, but not until the credits were over. So, we had some time to sit there and, as I sat there I realized there will never be a better, a more perfect, a more sensitive, emotional, and beautiful way of saying au revoir to Charles Xavier than this movie. So, I told [Hugh] that same evening, 'I'm done too. It's all over.'"

Sound's like the right move to me.

Twit 2

Worth checking them out on the Gram Norton show, very joyous and funny.

mothman

Stewart seems to have decided that's it for him as well. I don't know if McKellen has expressed any similar sentiments. Or if there are any more planned with McAvoy and Fassbender. But I suppose the possibility exists for a final send-off for older Magneto.

chocky909

I watched it this afternoon. It was good. Too long for my arse comfort though. When will they bring back intermissions?

Mr_Simnock

Just watched it now, loved it.

New Jack

I saw it this morning at 10am in the iMax, don't tell my dole officer.

I deem it The Last of X, or The X of Us

Was good, grisly. Wolverine done right. Good acting and that from Logan and Professor X. Enjoyed it. They didn't cock up the ending, it paid homage I thought to Old Man Logan and is well worth a watch. I could have bought food with that money but I'm glad I didn't!

Glebe

So I was out and about in town (Dublin) yesterday, and suddenly copped that this had just opened and decided to treat meself. Well now... it's really very good, for the most part - proper gritty, disturbing and dramatic, and bloody violent with it. Lots of profanity and even a
Spoiler alert
flash of tits!
[close]
It's certainly one of the most 'real-world' comic movies since The Dark Knight... of course, just making it violent and explicit doesn't necessarily make it more 'mature', but it does have a lot of drama besides the action, not to mention some quite moving scenes (which work all the better given that Wolfie is in his most unsentimental mood ever). The action stuff itself is pretty relentless, there's
Spoiler alert
one crazy Quicksilver-esue scene that's pretty intense
[close]
, and some pretty mental fights. I feel like the story could have been tightened up, it meanders a bit in the latter half, and the inevitable big face-off could have done with a bit more low-key drama besides the big action stuff... the ending itself however is fittingly moving, though.

So yeah, it's not perfect, but overall a really good 'realistic' superhero movie.

Logan review: Hugh Jackman's Wolverine takes one last slice at the superhero game.

QuoteThe picture is trying very hard to be grown up here. You also sense this in 16-cert violence that, though conspicuously bloody, is no more "real" than the 12A version in Captain America: Civil War.

Well, it's no more 'real' than any violent action movie.

Oh and btw:

A Different Version Of Logan May Be On The Way, According To The Director.

Sound's good to me.

Black_Bart

QuoteA Different Version Of Logan May Be On The Way, According To The Director.

A musical version? I know Hugh wants to get back to his roots.

madhair60

I saw this and it was good until the last two minutes which were shit

kidsick5000

Loved it. Great performances, especially from the girl.
You feel for the characters. Not as bleak as some places claimed it was.
Even Stephen Merchant was good.
I really love that the campaign has been subtle enough.

I want to hug everyone involved.

New Jack

There was a bit I didn't quite get Wolvie's motives for:

Spoiler alert
When he's flipping through the comics at the bar, he then goes to a hotel seemingly in pursuit of someone; I think I mentally checked out or it wasn't explained well but who was he after, what did he storm out of the bar for or was he just going back to Laura and Xavier in a standard pissy mood? It was right before that amazing sequence where Xavier is freezing everyone with his dementia. It did make me think "is it going a bit meta, is he going after the comic book writer?"
[close]

Penfold

Quote from: New Jack on March 02, 2017, 05:45:18 PM
There was a bit I didn't quite get Wolvie's motives for:

Spoiler alert
When he's flipping through the comics at the bar, he then goes to a hotel seemingly in pursuit of someone; I think I mentally checked out or it wasn't explained well but who was he after, what did he storm out of the bar for or was he just going back to Laura and Xavier in a standard pissy mood? It was right before that amazing sequence where Xavier is freezing everyone with his dementia. It did make me think "is it going a bit meta, is he going after the comic book writer?"
[close]

Spoiler alert
Was that when he noticed the coordinates for eden in the comic matched the ones on the envelope of cash? If it was then he's angry that the place is fictional.
[close]

Billy

Saw this having not seen a single other X-Men film before, only the 90s cartoon series on Live & Kicking and that one game I had on the Mega Drive in 1997. Other than an irritating audience who commented all over it and tittered every time Patrick Stewart said the word "fuck", I enjoyed and even understood it a fair bit, despite someone earlier warning me I wouldn't get a thing unless I'd seen the first three films or something.

As someone who generally thinks superhero movies are shit I'd love to see more of this kind of thing, nicely dark and gritty for my world-weary tastes.