Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Quote from: Penfold on March 02, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Spoiler alert
Was that when he noticed the coordinates for eden in the comic matched the ones on the envelope of cash? If it was then he's angry that the place is fictional.
[close]

Yeah that scene. That makes sense. The bit that threw me was
Spoiler alert
he gets angry then it cuts to him trying to get into the hotel, and he looks like he's looking through the crowd for someone. It's framed a bit odd, but I suppose it nicely sets up the amazing scene with Xavier's fit next, as bad dudes are infiltrating the hotel
[close]

Bazooka

Thought it was excellent.

Bleeding Kansas

One thing that I found a bit jarring.
Spoiler alert
Don't they knowingly put the farming family in great danger and end up getting them horrifically killed for no real reason?
[close]

Bazooka

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on March 04, 2017, 10:41:21 AM
One thing that I found a bit jarring.
Spoiler alert
Don't they knowingly put the farming family in great danger and end up getting them horrifically killed for no real reason?
[close]

Yeah they got messed up, waste of hospitality.

Glebe

Hang on whats Damien Mizdow doing in that film.

Shaky

Just watched this. Brilliant stuff, if a tad overlong as others have said. The few concessions to more conventional comic-book movie making are a slight misstep at times
Spoiler alert
- I'm not a huge fan of the "hero fights their clone/double" trope (apart from Superman 3, obviously) so that did recurrence did very little for me.
[close]

Also really reminded me of the Mad Max movies, what with the enigmatic loner, some of the brutal chases, the general dusty vibe...
Spoiler alert
and particularly Logan being looked after by a group of kids in the final act.
[close]

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shaky on March 05, 2017, 01:45:28 PM
Just watched this. Brilliant stuff, if a tad overlong as others have said. The few concessions to more conventional comic-book movie making are a slight misstep at times
Spoiler alert
- I'm not a huge fan of the "hero fights their clone/double" trope (apart from Superman 3, obviously) so that did recurrence did very little for me.
[close]

I felt it was perfect for this. Understated yet keeping with the amount of fantasy allowed into this installment.

It does make me wonder, given everything they had to do to make this version, if Mangold and Jackman envisioned The Wolverine going a different way before the Silver Samurai silliness.

phantom_power

Is this the first X-Men film that has characters use the comic book vernacular of "mutie" and wolvie"? I don't remember any of the others doing it

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on March 05, 2017, 06:02:32 PM
Is this the first X-Men film that has characters use the comic book vernacular of "mutie" and wolvie"? I don't remember any of the others doing it

I don't know that, but the artwork for the fake comics is really good. So much so that it is too good for that 80s era (Thank god they didn't try to emulate that 90s shitfest)

http://joequesada.tumblr.com/post/156273923373/logan-since-this-page-is-already-public-as-seen

https://twitter.com/urbanbarbarian/status/837780361824231424/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Shaky

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 05, 2017, 05:41:11 PM
I felt it was perfect for this. Understated yet keeping with the amount of fantasy allowed into this installment.

Yeah - having had a day to mull the film over I think I was being a bit churlish. If I can fully accept the existence of
Spoiler alert
Laura then a more trad Wolvie clone
[close]
is hardly a stretch. Still not entirely sold on
Spoiler alert
the group of mutant kids
[close]
but further viewings may iron that out.

I see that Richard E Grant is getting some stick for his muted and sneery villain but I thought he fitted into that world quite well.
Spoiler alert
He was simply "there" being a nasty, officious prick, no showboating or display of superpowers needed.
[close]

Glebe

So here's the (pretty funny) Deadpool 2 tease that's playing in front of Logan in the US:

No Good Deed.

What's In The Text At The End Of The Deadpool 2 Teaser?

Strange thing to add on.

9 Geeky Easter Eggs In The Deadpool 2 Teaser.

Quote"Angel Of The Morning" by Juice Newton

Fun fact: those of you who have only seen the internet version of the "No Good Deed" short are missing out on the same experience being had by viewers who are seeing the short play before screenings of Logan. It's actually the case that the online cut is longer, but the one in theaters has some different musical cues... including the very first one. In the internet version, Ryan Reynolds's Wade Wilson is listening to "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" by John Parr while walking along the street, but on the big screen that music is subbed out for "Angel Of The Morning" by Juice Newton - the same song that plays during the opening credits of the Deadpool movie. Why did it have to change? It's probably a rights thing. But the good news is that right now you still have the opportunity to experience both versions.

Hmmm, I see.

'Logan' Screenwriter on Its Villain Surprise and Crafting a Powerful Ending.

QuoteYou weren't 100 percent satisfied with The Wolverine, which you also wrote. What did you get right on Logan that you feel didn't turn out exactly right on the last one?

We didn't have to connect it to any larger "universe." Or, as Jim keeps saying, "We didn't have to sell Happy Meals." And so that was great. Whereas, the last one, my favorite part is where he's in the middle of rural Japan and with this woman and being a human being and feeling what it's like to be a human being. But we're not there very long before we're back to giant robots and stuff. And then it becomes just another superhero movie with a lot of CG stuff.  And we were trying to avoid that this time around, and the studio had changed studio heads and they were very much into the idea of trying something new, because otherwise, what's the point? The only way these movies have value is if they become about something else. They can't all be about saving the world.

I wish The Wolverine didn't have to have included all the extraneous X-Men stuff... would have been so much better as it's own thing.

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 05, 2017, 06:15:22 PMI don't know that, but the artwork for the fake comics is really good. So much so that it is too good for that 80s era (Thank god they didn't try to emulate that 90s shitfest)

Dan Panosian's stuff looks more '90s/early 00's to my eye.

weekender

Quote from: Shaky on March 06, 2017, 09:20:02 AMStill not entirely sold on
Spoiler alert
the group of mutant kids
[close]
but further viewings may iron that out.

Ah, the 'mutant kids in a forest' ending makes a lot of sense, albeit it was fairly predictable.  It explains the plot, gives Logan a legacy that they'll all remember, and sets up future franchises/scenarios/make future X-Men films in 2030, when the children are growing up and learning [nb]Deliberate word here - not 'controlling/abusing/mastering'[/nb] - about their powers. Think Lord of the Flies, but with superhero children/mutants.

None of them were bad child actors either - I hate children as much as the next child-catcher - but at least they all seemed fairly competent at their scenes.

Like most other people, I just felt that Logan was too long[nb]I will admit that my mood was hampered by the teenage couple who turned up 15 minutes into the film with large bags of food and drink, who then proceeded to talk to each other to try and work out what was going on in the film.  They then decided to Bing the contents of the first 30 minutes on their bright mobile phones, at which point they were given an ultimatum - "I HAVE TOLERATED YOUR LATENESS AND NOISINESS BUT YOU CAN DAMN WELL TURN THAT PHONE OFF", and they knew damn well it was a threat, not an ultimatum.[/nb].

It's just that it could have been condensed into a really great 90m movie, and it's ended up being a 137m fairly decent one.

weekender

What I'd also like to know when it comes to child actors like the one who plays Laura, is if they get to see the finished film, or if they have to wait until they're 16/18/whatever?

She's maybe 10 or 11, I dunno, but her character just stabs people through the head with her claws.  I get how the effects are done, and that's fine, but is there a thing where someone goes:

"You were great, you did a really good hurricanrana, but we can't show you what that looks like in the actual film because it looks like you have claws and there's a lot of blood and this bit here, well, it has bits of brain in it in the actual film and you did dismember a bad guy, so you'll have to wait until you're a 12A to see it".

Shaky

Quote from: weekender on March 06, 2017, 07:41:41 PM
Ah, the 'mutant kids in a forest' ending makes a lot of sense, albeit it was fairly predictable.  It explains the plot, gives Logan a legacy that they'll all remember, and sets up future franchises/scenarios/make future X-Men films in 2030, when the children are growing up and learning [nb]Deliberate word here - not 'controlling/abusing/mastering'[/nb] - about their powers. Think Lord of the Flies, but with superhero children/mutants.

None of them were bad child actors either - I hate children as much as the next child-catcher - but at least they all seemed fairly competent at their scenes.

Aye, I know what they were going for but it just felt a touch too... obvious. A little too reminiscent of young mutant scenes in the other, less gritty films. I imagine any potential direct sequels/spin-offs or whatever will follow Laura and not the rest of the kids, anyway.
Spoiler alert
At the very end, she was separate from the rest of the group both geographically and emotionally; I felt it was pretty clear she'd head off on her own somewhere.
[close]

And - a personal reaction, perhaps -
Spoiler alert
the hauling up of Logan and him waking in a wooden shack surrounded by kiddies just put me in mind of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and I never quite shook that vibe. I agree that they were decent child actors, though, especially the main boy.
[close]

Bazooka

Quote from: weekender on March 06, 2017, 07:51:58 PM
What I'd also like to know when it comes to child actors like the one who plays Laura, is if they get to see the finished film, or if they have to wait until they're 16/18/whatever?

She's maybe 10 or 11, I dunno, but her character just stabs people through the head with her claws.  I get how the effects are done, and that's fine, but is there a thing where someone goes:

"You were great, you did a really good hurricanrana, but we can't show you what that looks like in the actual film because it looks like you have claws and there's a lot of blood and this bit here, well, it has bits of brain in it in the actual film and you did dismember a bad guy, so you'll have to wait until you're a 12A to see it".

I wonder this all the time too, I get the payment side as in the parents/agent will get it and the child will not see it until probably 18. Does the child ask, hey MUM & POPPA when can I see the scene when I killed that man? How does it work?

Head Gardener

momatt

Watched this last night and loved it.  Properly bleak and depressing, especially seeing
Spoiler alert
Professor X having a degenerative brain disease
[close]
.  Quite long but didn't really mind too much.  Loads of swearing and loads of violence, interspersed with lots of nice quiet bits.
All the acting was superb, with Stephen Merchant being a particular surprise.  The funniest parts were Laura just being a normal petulant child, after scenes of kickass brutality.
I liked how many times Wolvie
Spoiler alert
stabbed people right through the head
[close]
.  Lovely.

I went with my girlfriend who usually plainly refuses to watch any superhero film and knows nothing about X-Men in general.  I think she was convinced by Charlie Brooker's glowing review.  Anyway, she bloody loved it and wants to see the rest now, hooray!

That scene
Spoiler alert
in the hotel was jaw-dropping.  That mad effect of the wobbly screen made it so incredibly tense
[close]
.  Seemed to go on forever, but in a good way

One question - where did X-23/Laura pop up from, when we first saw her with Xavier?  One moment they're talking to Donald Pierce and then Professor X appears with Laura.  I missed something didn't I?

Quote from: madhair60 on March 02, 2017, 03:07:14 PM
I saw this and it was good until the last two minutes which were shit
Why so?

greenman

Quote from: weekender on March 06, 2017, 07:51:58 PM

The claws/blood are CGI of course so she wouldn't have seen any of that on set but they do have her carrying a dummy severed head.

Honestly I felt some of the gore was a little more than was needed but generally it was excellent. Keeping the villians as pretty thin background characters was I think a good move as the story really wasn't about them. Stewart has always been rather wasted in the X-man films to me playing such a straight infallible character so it was nice to see him actually get to give a performance with some edge/vulnerability to it. Didn't really have a problem with X-24, I felt that was an effective way to play up Logan's age/decline.

Strange situation with Hollywood R-rated action films, you wait for years for something decent to come along and then this and John Wick 2 within a couple of weeks.

phantom_power

RE: X-23 just showing up. Didn't she stow away in Wolvie's trunk? Which is why he found her backpack in there. She must have snuck out when he parked and went to Xavier, who she had been communicating with.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: greenman on March 07, 2017, 05:58:58 PM
Honestly I felt some of the gore was a little more than was needed but generally it was excellent.
I thought the violence was very well executed, no pun intended[nb]Well, slightly intended[/nb]. It was genuinely disturbing, which it should be, considering the theme. It's like the film makers saw all the comics nerds complaining about the PG rated fights in previous ones and decided to teach them a lesson.

phantom_power

It does seem that with stuff like this and Legion (and to a slightly lesser and different extent Deadpool) we are seeing a broadening of what it means to be a "comic book film", which has been attempted in the past but never very successfully.And I don't mean the subverting the genre stuff like Special and Super but working within the framework of the comic book genre but in interesting ways, like the actual comic books have been doing for decades.

I certainly think the death of comic book movies is a long way off

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 07, 2017, 09:53:03 PM
I thought the violence was very well executed, no pun intended[nb]Well, slightly intended[/nb]. It was genuinely disturbing, which it should be, considering the theme. It's like the film makers saw all the comics nerds complaining about the PG rated fights in previous ones and decided to teach them a lesson.

I wouldn't say he how graphic it was but perhaps a little in how often we saw it which became slightly deadening for me in the earlier actions sequences.

Quote from: phantom_powerI certainly think the death of comic book movies is a long way off

Although I suspect this and Deadpool are likely the result of the X-men franchise not being in such rude health as the main Marvel films.

momatt

Quote from: phantom_power on March 07, 2017, 11:46:43 PM
It does seem that with stuff like this we are seeing a broadening of what it means to be a "comic book film", which has been attempted in the past but never very successfully.
Yes, I was very relieved that this film wasn't another superhero film where they have to save the world from successively bigger supervillains and monsters.
I love that stuff but even I'm getting a bit bored of it now.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 07, 2017, 06:46:39 PM
RE: X-23 just showing up. Didn't she stow away in Wolvie's trunk? Which is why he found her backpack in there. She must have snuck out when he parked and went to Xavier, who she had been communicating with.
THANK YOU!  This makes perfect sense.  I quite like it when films don't spoonfeed you, but that will occasionally make me look a bit thick.

greenman

It makes sense she heads for Xavier as well as its implied he'd been communicating with her.

Glebe

Jackman really getting into ADR.

I love the passion he puts in there.

Logan Concept Art Reveals Deleted Scene and Wolverine's Hideout.

Nice work. Particularly like the one with Logan and the dog.

CS Interview: James Mangold and Dafne Keen Talk Logan's X-23.

QuoteCS: A pivotal course change for everybody, but especially for Professor X, was this incident that we never see, where he sort of accidentally kills a lot of people and a lot of mutants in Westchester having one of his fits.

Mangold:
Yes.

CS: Was it ever a question of showing that scene or not showing that scene, since it's so crucial to where the characters are when we find them?

Mangold: Yeah, I wrote that scene. I wrote it, and at one point, it was even the first scene in the movie.

CS: Really? Was it just too traumatic? Too much?

Mangold: It also made the movie about that. It was really interesting. It suddenly made the movie about X-Men dying, as opposed to allowing the movie to be a kind of unwinding onion, like allowing you to kind of enter the story and go, "Where is this going?" It was so large and loomed so large, and I felt like it also was still falling into the formula of the movies, with the big opener, that is setting up the mythology first. I thought, "What if we do an opener that leans into character first? Actually underplay those things?" Let them just feel like it's more like a—what's that?

Keen: Normal thing?

Mangold: A normal thing, like it's happened. And instead of underlining it, yeah. Just let it live in the background of all these characters.

I'm glad they didn't show that. The less X-Men the better, in this case.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on March 08, 2017, 10:37:17 AM
It makes sense she heads for Xavier as well as its implied he'd been communicating with her.

Is there an echo in here?

phantom_power

Oh and it was refreshing to have a film with no love interest. It may fail the Bechdel test but it is better than just having a woman in there just to die for him to react. Are there any women in the film at all other than the mother at the farm?

greenman

Leaving the details of Westchester out until quite deep into the film was I think very effective mirroring Xavier himself not having a firm idea of what he'd done.

Glebe

Quote from: greenman on March 08, 2017, 11:37:29 AMLeaving the details of Westchester out until quite deep into the film was I think very effective mirroring Xavier himself not having a firm idea of what he'd done.

That's a good point, actually.

Is there a precedent for this 'Westchester Incident' in the comics? I have a feeling it may be portrayed in a future X-Men movie (though Stewart says he's done with the franchise).