Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:09:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Logan

Started by DrunkCountry, October 21, 2016, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on March 08, 2017, 11:40:43 AM
That's a good point, actually.

Is there a precedent for this 'Westchester Incident' in the comics? I have a feeling it may be portrayed in a future X-Men movie (though Stewart says he's done with the franchise).

I doubt you'll see it, especially since it signals the death of the franchise to some extent.
Fox will at some point regard this as an alternate timeline.

The main X franchise is in disarray at the moment. They have no idea who is alive, who is meant to evolve into whom or if they can get Fassbender and McAvoy back on. As for Lawrence, good luck with that. I seriously doubt she's up for more.
Maybe it's one of Glebe's posts, but Simon Kinberg is pitching that he direct the next X-Men. They need new blood there.
I still maintain that Days Of Future Past worked because of the prep and script of team Goldman and Vaughn rather than Singer and Kinberg.

New page Snik(un)t

greenman

Its getting to the stage now where its not even really clear your talking about the same timeline as the "new cast" X-men, this film to me seemed intended to signal the end of the old cast films although I spose if they really wanted to carry on then perhaps McKellan could return.

I believe its a switch from the comic that Logan was loosely based on in where
Spoiler alert
he has killed the other X-men due to some kind of villains illusion thinking there enemies. The switch to Xavier is I think quite effective though signalling them swapping places with Charles being the dangerous one who needs to be looked after.
[close]

phantom_power

Apparently the film was going to open with The Westchester Incident but they decided to start with a more character-driven scene that sets up the tone of the film rather than a big action set piece like every other comic book film.

The timeline of this film is all to cock anyway so there should be no problem retconning it. They say there have been on mutants born for 25 years but as it is only 2029 this seems to contradict Days of Future Past, which messed the whole thing up anyway.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: greenman on March 08, 2017, 05:59:44 AM
it which became slightly deadening for me in the earlier actions sequences.
He deadened a lot of people.

Glebe

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on March 10, 2017, 12:44:44 PM
**Spoiler!**

The Wolverine kind of foreshadowed Logan's ending.

Not literally.

I don't know how deliberate that is, but it makes me love the film even more

What they said is true - from a certain point of view.

Wet Blanket

I enjoyed all the fighting and killings but found the bits in between pretty boring. I haven't seen any of the other X Men films so maybe a lot was lost on me. I also think it overstayed its welcome by a good 40minutes, but this is the case for a lot of films at the minute.

The audience I caught it with were incredibly restless, there were a couple of times when it seemed the entire theatre were engaged in conversation, when they weren't waving their phones around or generally performing about, which soured my experience a bit.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 12, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
I haven't seen any of the other X Men films so maybe a lot was lost on me.
If I remember right, the line about the Statue of Liberty was the only direct reference to any of the earlier films.

Glebe

Here's Why Caliban Appears in Both LOGAN and X-MEN: APOCALYPSE.

I forgot that the Caliban guy was in Apocalypse, actually.

4 arses

After the events of Apocalypse Caliban took some time out and followed King Crimson round on tour, eventually becoming good friends with Robert Fripp - hence the change of accent.

Repeater

Quote from: Billy on March 03, 2017, 01:28:16 AM
Saw this having not seen a single other X-Men film before, only the 90s cartoon series on Live & Kicking and that one game I had on the Mega Drive in 1997. Other than an irritating audience who commented all over it and tittered every time Patrick Stewart said the word "fuck", I enjoyed and even understood it a fair bit, despite someone earlier warning me I wouldn't get a thing unless I'd seen the first three films or something.

As someone who generally thinks superhero movies are shit I'd love to see more of this kind of thing, nicely dark and gritty for my world-weary tastes.

This is my background too, even down to the Live n Kicking viewing. I thought Logues was grand. Dragged a bit, the swearing was a bit forced, but aye, still decent. I don't like action films but I was with it mostly. What's next? What came before it in this cannon? What's coming after?

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Twit 2

Was a bit disappointed by this. 1st half was strong stuff, despite Merchant being shit cos he's shit. It went right down hill when all the hunger games type tweey bops came into it. Was thoroughly bored through the the final action scenes.

Good:

Paddy going ga ga in the big bin, even better if there'd been dirty protests.
Jackman being grizzled
Johnny Cash credits song
Some of the gore
Hotel freeeze wobble malarkey
General tone of the slow stuff
Nice family being horribly killed

Meh:

Him off narcos doing generic redneck baddie
most of the action scene

Fuck off:

Mutant kids
Dead pool teaser - just seriously fuck off
Stephen merchant
Cloney McCloneface

Cut out 30 mins of generic superhero movie bullshit and it would've been great. Passed the time and my 2nd favourite marvel film after ant man.

momatt

Nah, Stephen Merchant was good.

There's just no way of taking that accent seriously.

Repeater

he was brilliant man, really.

Shaky

Yeah, he was. Quite distracting that it was STEPHEN MERCHANT at first but he really did make something rounded out of a smallish role.
Spoiler alert
His death scene was surprisingly poignant, too
[close]

greenman

When he first appeared I thought it might be distracting but really the character was written pretty well for him, stuff like the Nosferatu line.

Bad Ambassador

Merchant's first 'straight' acting role, apparently. I thought he was excellent.

Repeater

I thought he was honestly marvellous. I went in with a lot of baggage about him, I've watched pretty much everything he's done, listened to the pods etc. etc. etc. Big fan of the google-eyed freak. So, even with all that, he managed to separate himself from that to portray Calliban very truthfully and believably. Probably the most impressive thing in the film, and yes, no laughs, very subtle, very morose.

Repeater

five bags of popcorn

Twit 2

It wasn't really a straight performance; it didn't feel like that to me, anyway. There was a level of morosenesss, sure, but still essentially a comedy performance. Plus, his annoying Bristol accent constantly took me out of it - is his character supposed to have grown up in the west country? I think Merchant gets an easy ride because he's not Gervais. I don't doubt he was responsible for a lot of what made The Office good, nor do I doubt he's a decent guy; I just don't find him funny or engaging as a performer whatsoever.

Straight Faced Customer

A very good film. The first two acts are so good actually that the finale just can't bear the expectations set, so the wheels slow down a bit when the other child actors appear, who, whilst fine enough, are nowhere near the league of the girl playing X-23. And the last scenes didn't make me
Spoiler alert
teary or anything, which is a shame as I went in expecting to have at least one teardrop upon my person, knowing that things were going to get emotional.
[close]
But I felt nada.

The
Spoiler alert
massacre of the kindly family
[close]
was a smart nod to how Old Man Logan ended with
Spoiler alert
Logan's family getting butchered by the Hulk clan
[close]
, I thought. It was also a sly inversion of the
Spoiler alert
Knightmare scene
[close]
from Batman vs Superman, as this was definitely
Spoiler alert
NOT a dream scene
[close]
designed to hoodwink us.

Kelvin

I thought this was great, despite it feeling like important information or scenes had been cut throughout. It's also the first time I've ever properly cried in a  film. Not sure if I'm just a bit more emotional at the moment, but I was tearing up at several points, and was full on blubbing at the end. If I hadn't been biting my lip and fighting with every ounce of my willpower, I'd have probably been howling with dismay at the scene where
Spoiler alert
he dies in front of the little girl.
[close]
This, despite the fact that I thought
Spoiler alert
her calling him "daddy" and remembering that entire film speech were a bridge too far.
[close]
I've spent the weekend getting shit from my mates about it, anyway.

I also couldn't really believe how bleak it was, and I'm surprised to see people in this thread saying they were expecting it to be bleaker. The
Spoiler alert
whole innocent family getting brutally, pointlessly murdered
[close]
, Charles' disappointment in Logan and
Spoiler alert
his accidental killing of civilians and the x-men
[close]
, and worst of all, the fact that, after six films of trying to protect mutant-kind, we learn all of that was for nothing, and nearly all mutants have been killed by the time of this film[nb]I wasn't actually clear whether they were dead, or had just lost their powers, but I got the impression they were dead.[/nb].   

The film was surprisingly funny, as well. The little girl and Professor X both had several standout moments, in particular the scene where she
Spoiler alert
punched Logan square in the face
[close]
. I really thought that girl was incredible for her age. Absolutely cool as fuck. 

Kelvin

Oh, one other thing. That Deadpool teaser before the film started was seriously midjudged. As it starts, you're mentally set up to watch this intense, serious film, and instead you have to watch a crap parody, 40 years out of date. I know they're in the same "cinematic universe", but it was just totally jarring, faking out the audience at that point.     

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Kelvin on March 19, 2017, 02:16:27 PMThis, despite the fact that I thought
Spoiler alert
her calling him "daddy" and remembering that entire film speech were a bridge too far.
[close]

I didn't like this either. I'm happy to accept the unlikely scenario that the children are in a Mexican facility but only one of them speaks Spanish, but not that
Spoiler alert
a new learner of English can memorise a random passage from an old film
[close]
. Was she thinking, "Oh, better memorise this bit, sounds important"? Echoing the sentiment
Spoiler alert
of that scene in Shane
[close]
would be fine, it's just the way they did it was hamfisted.

colacentral

My mum saw this. Apparently her review was: "I don't want to see knives and forks coming out of grown men's hands."

Obel

Quote from: colacentral on March 22, 2017, 05:42:30 PM
My mum saw this. Apparently her review was: "I don't want to see knives and forks coming out of grown men's hands."

But kids hands are fine?