Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Glaser Loves Gear

Started by alan nagsworth, October 27, 2016, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 05, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
Could have done without the referencing of Jon Glaser's other TV shows but I'm guessing it was difficult to resist.

To be fair the "real" Jon Glaser would have to be upset about the death of Paul Rudd mainly because he had appeared in two of his previous shows.

Repeater

Petey Pate

One thing I can't put a finger on is how Jon Glaser makes such forced dreadful puns so funny, or singing ridiculous word substitutes
Spoiler alert
('Here comes my son, all dressed in hockey gear!')
[close]
.  It shouldn't work but it somehow does.

Small Man Big Horse

All three are up on Rarbg now, they're poorly seeded but hopefully it'll mean they'll be uploaded regularly now.

I'm loving this so much, it's pretty much Delocated good, and I don't say that lightly. I love the way how each episode so far has started off covering the main topic before spiraling off in completely unpredictable directions, episode two especially, though the reenactment of
Spoiler alert
Jon's childhood hockey trauma in the third
[close]
had me howling with laughter too. And whilst I hope Steve Cirbus comes back in to it as I love him lots, Gear-i is being used beautifully here.

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 06, 2016, 01:40:10 PM
It didn't occur to me until now that some of the people in this show are 'real', like the owner of the bike store, and that Jon's interactions with them are mostly improvised.

That's another element that I'm really loving, though I'm not always 100% sure who is and who isn't. Like the
Spoiler alert
sales guy in the Hockey episode who asked the kid if he was okay or not,
[close]
but I hope that he is.

Shay Chaise

OK I'll make the effort in that case. I can't remember the last time I turned on my comp though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shay Chaise on November 08, 2016, 02:00:03 PM
OK I'll make the effort in that case. I can't remember the last time I turned on my comp though.

I think you won't regret it, I haven't been this enthusiastic and excited about a show in ages.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 08, 2016, 02:02:55 PM
I think you won't regret it, I haven't been this enthusiastic and excited about a show in ages.

Agreed it's really good, but Jon Glaser is a bit like Danny McBride - he has a very particular style and if you're not into it, you won't like any of his stuff.

This is close to Delocated territory... definitely a step up from Neon Joe, which was entertaining, but lost focus as it went on, I thought.

Petey Pate

Episode four is out tonight I think.

Relevant to today's events, here's Glaser on Stephen Colbert sharing an anecdote about meeting Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn1ZAIL921M

Repeater

Wish they never cast Susan from delocated as the therapist. So stupid

Petey Pate

This is still nowhere to be seen.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Repeater on November 10, 2016, 12:28:23 AM
Wish they never cast Susan from delocated as the therapist. So stupid

You realize they also cast Sergei from Delocated.

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 10, 2016, 03:12:54 PM
You realize they also cast Sergei from Delocated.

As the actor who played Sergei. Likewise Janeane Garofalo is playing herself. And Paul Rudd. It does seem inconsistent for another prominent actor from Delocated to be playing a role other than themselves within the new show.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on November 10, 2016, 03:19:16 PM
As the actor who played Sergei. Likewise Janeane Garofalo is playing herself. And Paul Rudd. It does seem inconsistent for another prominent actor from Delocated to be playing a role other than themselves within the new show.

Is Delocated a show by Jon Glaser in the Gear universe?

NoSleep

He actually mentioned it (and Neon Joe) when he cried over Paul Rudd's death.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on November 10, 2016, 03:31:58 PM
He actually mentioned it (and Neon Joe) when he cried over Paul Rudd's death.

I thought Gear-i mentioned them, more as an in-joke.

NoSleep

Whoever mentioned it there's at least four actors who appeared in Delocated who have been represented as their real selves in JGLG and then one who is playing a role. The only possible explanation is that the "real" psychologist didn't want to appear on camera in the world of JGLG (this could be confirmed later in the series; maybe Nadia Dajani will be cast in yet another role).

Repeater

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on November 10, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Whoever mentioned it there's at least four actors who appeared in Delocated who have been represented as their real selves in JGLG and then one who is playing a role. The only possible explanation is that the "real" psychologist didn't want to appear on camera in the world of JGLG (this could be confirmed later in the series; maybe Nadia Dajani will be cast in yet another role).

I disagree that that's the only possible explanation, but ok, let's leave it there.

Small Man Big Horse

Episode 4's up on myspleen, and hopefully that'll mean smaller versions will appear on Rarbg sooner rather than later.

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 10, 2016, 04:56:26 PM
I disagree that that's the only possible explanation, but ok, let's leave it there.

Yeah, not the only possible explanation, but it it fits with what we've seen in the show thus far (e.g. fake Icelandic wife).

Shay Chaise

I've watched episode one and enjoyed it a lot. Very very similar to Delocated, and I think the harmonium voice modulators are inherently funny and therefore missing here, but I'll definitely get on with the rest.

Penfold

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2016, 06:53:00 PM
Episode 4's up on myspleen, and hopefully that'll mean smaller versions will appear on Rarbg sooner rather than later.

Looks like it's up now.

Repeater

Small Man Big Horse

I really do adore this, nothing else on tv makes me laugh so much and so often. Fucking loved
Spoiler alert
the Delocated stuff, I know it's only a joke but dear god do I hope it one day happens.
[close]
For me it's been a really good year for tv comedy, but I'd be amazed if anything else comes along to prevent this being my favourite show of the year.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I know, I know, it's getting great. It's escalated quickly from the pilot, I know, good girl, and it's amazing how much he's been drifting in the episodes, each time in a different way, I know, from the supposed concept of the show, I know.

Repeater

Petey Pate

Found it a bit weird how Jon's 'real' daughter was black, after him hiring completely different looking children for his TV family seemed to be part of the joke.

Maybe it was a reference to Louis CK's ex-wife in Louie.

Ant Farm Keyboard

No, his real-life daughter is actually adopted, and black. He showed family pictures, of his own family with the faces blurred out. On the show, he picked actors who look similar to his family and would also appear with their faces blurred out, then his character picked "actors" for the reenactments that don't look really like (the Icelandic wife, the blonde son) the real characters.

Repeater