Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Glaser Loves Gear

Started by alan nagsworth, October 27, 2016, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

There's a Colbert interview promoting the show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn1ZAIL921M - it's not particularly hilarious or anything but Jon's Trump story made me smile.

Repeater

not worth the 5 minutes, don't bother

Small Man Big Horse

Just in case folks don't follow Jon on Facebook, he just posted this:

QuoteWant to ask me questions about the show? Want to vent about the current shitty state of the world? I'll be doing a Facebook Live tomorrow night at 9:30 before the next episode of Jon Glaser Loves Gear, which is Fishing, and which is an especially strange one you don't want to miss. Not that you want to miss any episode. In the meantime, HANG LOOSE AMERICA AND GET READY TO SHRED A LONG WAVE OF BULLSHIT!!!

Moribunderast

I just caught up with this show in the last few days - only found out it was already airing thanks to this thread. Jon Glaser is such a unique voice in comedy - like PFFR or Nathan Fielder - so any new show of his brings out ridiculous excitement in me. JGLG had me completely within minutes, when Geari is giving camping advice to Steve and Jon: "Good call, good call... call of the day, right there." As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there's some almost intangible element to Glaser's delivery that makes seemingly mundane or pathetically stupid and crappy lines come out wonderfully. For instance, Episode 4's line:
Spoiler alert
"Time to turn this poo-frown upside-brown"
[close]
had me chortling like an idiot and feeling like an idiot because the line itself is so fucking dumb.

Episode 4 definitely felt like the strongest so far. The early episodes were very good but seem to have also acted functionally in building the premise to it's proper point with Jon on-camera with an entirely fake family while still living with his real family. The jokes, escalating series of events and willingness to randomly veer off course during the latest episode were reminiscent of the best Glaser stuff. I was definitely getting a Delocated Season 2 vibe wherein you could see an already good show finding it's way to being great.

Delighted that Glaser is still getting the opportunity to make stuff like this. Can't wait for more.

Penfold

The Facebook thing that SMBH mentioned should be starting in a few minutes on his page.

https://www.facebook.com/Jon-Glaser-681974948620652/

Although it will probably be archived if you are currently asleep.

selectivememory

Loved episode five, although it was obviously very similar in concept to the episode of
Spoiler alert
Louie in which Jon Glaser appeared
[close]
. Just struck me as well that in that episode
Spoiler alert
of Louie, Glaser's character was shamelessly stealing material from Louie's stand-up routine
[close]
. Makes me wonder if it's intentional or a weird coincidence.

Agree with all the praise in this thread. This is Delocated Season 2 quality. The dog episode in particular was sublime.

NoSleep

Episode 5 is amazing. We're into
Spoiler alert
Twin Peaks
[close]
territory I now realise, so issues about
Spoiler alert
why some people are playing themselves in real life whilst others are acting roles
[close]
are out of the window.

selectivememory

Yeah, I can't even begin to get my head around the implications of (for instance)
Spoiler alert
all his dreams being captured on camera
[close]
. Can't wait to see what happens in the next episode.

Small Man Big Horse

That was indeed so beautiful, and lovely to have
Spoiler alert
Steve Cirbus back, even if his role wasn't huge it was still a fantastic collection of scenes, especially the "It's cool, I'm certified" bit.
[close]
Also adored the ending, I thought it was going
Spoiler alert
to get even more meta but then it just became pleasingly silly.
[close]

Repeater

i was talking to someone so very distracted during last episode but it seemed amazing or whatever? No sure

thisaintnopicnic

This is getting better and better. When I saw the first trailer, I was a bit sceptical about how much comedy there could be in Jon reviewing gear every week, but the format is perfect for building up additional layers; with the fake family, the feud with Steve, and all of the dream sequences in the last episode. As selectivememory said, it is absolutely up there with the best of Delocated.

The sequence with Jon and his fake son at the end of episode 5 was great
Spoiler alert
"My dad died in Iraq...he was special ops" followed by the gear pop-up about Jon's shirt
[close]

Repeater

alan nagsworth

Quote from: thisaintnopicnic on November 19, 2016, 10:22:35 PM
The sequence with Jon and his fake son at the end of episode 5 was great
Spoiler alert
"My dad died in Iraq...he was special ops" followed by the gear pop-up about Jon's shirt
[close]

That was sublime.

Yes, this show is excellent. Those sudden lurches into dark territory (in abundance in the fishing episode), like the bit with him harassing his son to get on the ice and learn to skate, amidst a bunch of really goofy, narcissistic behaviour is also very reminiscent of Delocated, like "Jon" finding out people close to him are being murdered and then grieving by eating (Grief Jerky), or the barbershop rendition of America The Beautiful when the Good Guys Club is mourning whatshisname. So oddly hilarious.

remedial_gash

This is by far his most accessible series, and wonderfully, willfully stupid... never have I found myself shouting a muffled 'Gear' when putting on a coat before.

Shay Chaise

Hahaha I do that, too. Put a pen in my jacket pocket. GEEAAARRRR

Repeater

Same, every time GEAAAAAR. He's so good with these shitty catchphrases / earworms

Small Man Big Horse

Spoiler alert
"Rigid fingers please."
[close]

Episode 6 is less surreal than last week's episode, but just as funny. I'll be genuinely depressed if this doesn't get a second season.

Repeater

Repeater

Small Man Big Horse

Rarbg has it, they seem to be capturing it weekly now, but not uploading it until about 24 hours after its aired.

Repeater

Hate seeing Susan on this. Dunno why but she does my head in

Repeater

Thursday

Was a bit behind on watching this, but I've finished episode 5 now and it's glorious.

Small Man Big Horse

Ant Farm Keyboard

Title of the other episodes:
Surfing
Self-Defense
Leisure
Sailing

I don't put a spoiler tag, given how much an episode drifts away from the intended theme.

Ant Farm Keyboard

However, here's some semi-spoiler.

Spoiler alert
Steve Cirbus' kid in the Baseball episode was actually played by Steve's real-life son.
[close]

Obel

Up to speed with this now. The fishing episode might be one of the best episodes I've seen of anything! Truly original stuff all around, I can't wait to see where it ends up by episode 10. If the quality level stays like this it may even top Delocated and I love Delocated. Frankly shocking that it's not getting more attention, even the IMDB page is sorely lacking in information. 

selectivememory

Another beautifully weird episode this week. I was a little disappointed at first when
Spoiler alert
they got that kid to dub over Jon's voice, as so much of what is great about this show is in Jon's delivery
[close]
, but in the end the overall ludicrousness of the situation won out.

Absolutely bonkers, this show. A second series of this would be a treat. For me the first couple of episodes were very decent, but beginning with the hockey one it's just been an incredible run of episodes.

alan nagsworth

I didn't think Baseball was quite as imaginative as the others and I enjoyed it a little less, but Surfing was excellent. I thought
Spoiler alert
the voice dubbing was very funny - the guy sounded somewhere between Steve Brule and Xavier: Renegade Angel -
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
increasing pace of the back-and-forth between the studio and the set, and the fake wives and everything else,
[close]
was such top notch writing, and the payoff at the end was fucking hilarious. Loved the return of the
Spoiler alert
'breevs,
[close]
too. God, he's so good at playing such a detestable prick.

Forgot to mention this beforehand, but did anyone notice that the pink haired bike messenger he hangs out with in Cycling is played by Mike the federal agent? Took me two watches to clock it, since he's playing such a vastly different character. STREET STRETCH

The other day I was listening to the WTF podcast with Glaser from 2012 and I found it really funny that four years ago he's chatting about how much he loves gear and he has a ton of stupid shit that he wears when he cycles, this being way before the show was even a pipe dream. It's kind of obvious when you watch the show that he's genuinely into it IRL but it still adds a layer of authenticity that makes it all the more loveable. The same could also be said about the fact that his on-screen family (and his fake family) has a young black girl playing his daughter, since he and his wife actually adopted a black girl around the time of the aforementioned podcast. (That's well worth listening to, by the way. He breaks down and cries when he talks about the adoption, it's beautiful). Great stuff.

Petey Pate

The show seems to have peaked with the Fishing episode.  I'm also finding the repetition a bit annoying.  Cool shots, "Steve fucked my (fake) wife", "I'm a feminist", etc.  The Field of Dreams references in Baseball didn't work for me at all.  I get that it was supposed to be convoluted and ridiculous to demonstrate Jon's crazy leaps of logic, but yeah, it wasn't all that funny.

Surfing was much funnier but I wish Glaser would move on from the fake wife subplot because it's been the focus of the last two episodes at the expense of everything else.  Gear-i was hardly in the episode and I wish Steve Cirbus would come back more prominently. 

Hoping this week's episode is better.