Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crown (2016)

Started by Ian Drunken Smurf, November 05, 2016, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

Has anyone seen the series The Crown - a Netflix original. Just startrd watching it last night and got through four episodes. Quite enjoyed it - there are some quite comedic moments - particularly the limericks in the first episode.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This appalling programme shames us all

biggytitbo

I hope this despicable program goes bald and falls off a mast.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In a surprise twist the Royals are ripped apart by Wolves.

However they bounce back the following week with a 3-1 win against West Brom.

kitsofan34

Does it glorify the Royals at all? How do they approach the general concept of our Monarchy?

BlodwynPig

Of course it glorifies the royals. Every shitting thing glorifies the royals in this post-reality mess of a world.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 05, 2016, 10:18:09 AM
Does it glorify the Royals at all? How do they approach the general concept of our Monarchy?

I bailed after two episodes but the Queen is shown as some kind of angelic and wondrous creature, though Prince Phillip is a bit of a dick, and the rest are too bland to care about. I wanted to stick with it due to Matt Smith, and the bloke playing the King was a decent enough actor, but as I hate their real life counterparts so much I couldn't be arsed with a show which largely celebrates them.

Crabwalk

Infuriating the way that they convey the pair as stoic victims[nb]im only 4 episodes in but they're very clearly 'the heroes'[/nb]. Every other figure is fairly rounded and flawed, but Phil and Liz are sexy, sensible and 'likeable'.

Episode 4's pretty good though; focused solely on the killer smog period of '52. At one point Liz does something incredibly brave
Spoiler alert
walks 200 yards instead of being driven
[close]

biggytitbo

I know a lot of these netflix things have hard core nudity in them, can we except to see the Queen's 'Windsor palace' at some point?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 22, 2016, 12:02:15 AM
Infuriating the way that they convey the pair as stoic victims[nb]im only 4 episodes in but they're very clearly 'the heroes'[/nb]. Every other figure is fairly rounded and flawed, but Phil and Liz are sexy, sensible and 'likeable'.

Episode 4's pretty good though; focused solely on the killer smog period of '52. At one point Liz does something incredibly brave
Spoiler alert
walks 200 yards instead of being driven
[close]

what should anyone expect from a hagiography. Her PR firm paid big bucks for this to be made.

BlodwynPig

my next film, after Mino2aur, will be a frank and brutal portrait of QE2's reign.

The Squeen - Coming 2019.

Norton Canes

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 22, 2016, 07:46:25 AM
I know a lot of these netflix things have hard core nudity in them, can we except to see the Queen's 'Windsor palace' at some point?

I won't be happy with anything other than Holyrood.

Crabwalk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 22, 2016, 08:36:24 AM
what should anyone expect from a hagiography. Her PR firm paid big bucks for this to be made.

Where did you hear that? Or are you jesting? I don't think Peter Morgan is in the royal pocket and I'm not sure they'd sign off on George VI saying 'cunt' within the first five minutes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 22, 2016, 11:29:18 AM
Where did you hear that? Or are you jesting? I don't think Peter Morgan is in the royal pocket and I'm not sure they'd sign off on George VI saying 'cunt' within the first five minutes.

My cousin works for said PR firm - low level grunt.

Crabwalk

Very interesting. Do you know who they paid, exactly? Netflix, as a sweetener for the commission? That's a pretty juicy story if so.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 22, 2016, 01:05:19 PM
Very interesting. Do you know who they paid, exactly? Netflix, as a sweetener for the commission? That's a pretty juicy story if so.

I believe there was a go-between. Like an arms deal.

marquis_de_sad

Just watched this and it is very very bland. Like reading a boring and thick person's diary. Some good acting but in the service of a giant nothing (a subversive metaphor perhaps?). Worst thing was the music. Reheated off-cuts from Hans Zimmer (especially from The Dark Knight and Inception) that were almost comically inappropriate in their grandeur. The Queen looks worried [music swells ominously]. The Prince looks worried [music swells ominously]. The royal couple are driven to some boring location where nothing happens [music swells ominously]. The institution of the monarchy is a disgrace [music swells ominously].

BlodwynPig

Bland and swollen. What Britain is famed for.

Gulftastic

Some article in the ever deteriorating 'i' newspaper this week cited The Crown as proof that Netflix was unfairly treated in terms of BAFTA noms, calling the show the cultural phenomenon of the last 12 months. I thought this sounded like bollocks. Glad to see from replies on here that I was right.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 17, 2017, 09:34:19 PM
Some article in the ever deteriorating 'i' newspaper this week cited The Crown as proof that Netflix was unfairly treated in terms of BAFTA noms, calling the show the cultural phenomenon of the last 12 months. I thought this sounded like bollocks. Glad to see from replies on here that I was right.

I think Americans like it.

Cerys

I quite enjoyed this.  Mostly because of Matt Smith's and John Lithgow's performances.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Cerys on May 18, 2017, 09:40:07 PM
I quite enjoyed this.  Mostly because of Matt Smith's and John Lithgow's performances.

Yeah the performances were good, can't fault the actors. I was skeptical about the rather tall and American Lithgow pulling off Churchill, but I thought he did a really good job. His performance never felt like an impersonation, and he really inhabited the role. In fact, despite my moaning earlier, almost everything with Churchill was decent, whereas the soap opera plot-lines revolving around the royal family were dull and uneventful. The programme makers seemed to know this, and so stuck in a lot of Churchill-related scenes that ultimately had nothing to do with the royals. E.g. the painting, which ended up being one of the best bits in the series.

I think you could edit the whole thing into a really good feature-length drama about Churchill in the post-war era.

BlodwynPig

Matt Smith is appalling in this

Deanjam

:-)

Butchers Blind

BlodwynPig

It's his constant 80s modelling pose and tilt of head, trying to portray Vampire Phil as a rakish, smouldering wit with a heart of gold.