Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wonder Woman (2017).

Started by Glebe, November 06, 2016, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Nothing about this says good film, does it? Piss weak promotion, a nothing lead character with zero charisma, it being DC.

Still think Aquaman will top it in the bobbins stakes, mind. It's genuinely amazing that that is still being made. Is anyone, ANYONE looking forward to Aquaman? It's nuts

Mister Six

Aquaman would be great if they borrowed the Brave and The Bold characterisation and made him a big, jokey Brian Blessed type, and turned it into a Guardians of the Galaxy-type comedy romp.

Instead they've made him into the 'rock star' superhero - literally, with a guitar and bottles of bourbon - and done him up like a glowering twat.

DC, yer fuckin' rubbish.

Anyway, Wonder Woman: Looks like an even more boring version of Captain America 1, minus a lead who can act. I don't have high hopes for it.

Bazooka

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 08, 2017, 08:32:55 PM
Nothing about this says good film, does it? Piss weak promotion, a nothing lead character with zero charisma, it being DC.

Still think Aquaman will top it in the bobbins stakes, mind. It's genuinely amazing that that is still being made. Is anyone, ANYONE looking forward to Aquaman? It's nuts

I don't think it will struggle to sell tickets at all, Aquaman will sell less for obvious reasons.

MuteBanana

In the next 5 years Gadot will be nominated for an Oscar.

Bad Ambassador

I doubt it, she's a fucking terrible actress whose only credits to date have been in Fast & Furious sequels and the DCU. If she can't cope with films this feeble, how's she going to manage when actual acting is required?

MuteBanana

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 14, 2017, 11:32:53 PM
I doubt it, she's a fucking terrible actress whose only credits to date have been in Fast & Furious sequels and the DCU. If she can't cope with films this feeble, how's she going to manage when actual acting is required?

She also appeared in that film with Kevin Costner.

But yeah. Watch her.

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: Mister Six on May 08, 2017, 10:54:58 PM
Aquaman would be great if they borrowed the Brave and The Bold characterisation and made him a big, jokey Brian Blessed type, and turned it into a Guardians of the Galaxy-type comedy romp.
Instead they've made him into the 'rock star' superhero - literally, with a guitar and bottles of bourbon - and done him up like a glowering twat.

"Ooh, Aquaman is one outrageous dude" etc

Yeah, I totally agree. It all seems very po-faced and they really need to find a way of being subversive.

Custard

It doesn't help that Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa have zero charisma or likeability

I think I truly went off Gadot when she kept talking over Amy Adams at the BvsS press junket. My lovely, lovely Amy

phantom_power

Getting good reviews this, it would seem. I don't know how BvS fared at a similar stage for comparison

Kelvin

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2017, 06:01:33 PM
Getting good reviews this, it would seem. I don't know how BvS fared at a similar stage for comparison

The twitter reviews for BvS were largely positive (albeit from fans, rather than critics), so it's probably best to ignore handpicked twitter comments until something more solid comes out.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 15, 2017, 12:42:10 PM
It doesn't help that Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa have zero charisma or likeability

Well to give them their dues. Gadot? Humpable. Mamoa? Sounds like Maoam and I like maoams.

Glebe

Hemulen

Now I just want an anime Wonder Woman series instead of... whatever this turns out to be.

Custard

Christina Hendricks wanted to be the new telly Wonder Woman, and they turned her down

BIGGEST TRAVESTY SINCE THE LAST BIGGEST TRAVESTY

Might've looked like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e2/79/81/e279818557844de7b15369169be8f626.jpg

PHWOOOARRRRRARA

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on May 17, 2017, 02:43:01 AM
Chinese trailer.

I know, I post too many trailers. OCD.

Oh yeah, and this:

Chinese poster for WONDER WOMAN goes awesomely anime!

Great poster but I'm 99 percent certain you won't see it in cinemas or elsewhere. Chinese distributors spend nothing on promo material and there's no way they'd pay to make something like this, especially when they could crudely chop together a picture of a fit white woman with big eyes and a fit white man with blonde hair.

I also don't know why TenCent - an app and digital media company - would make this.

Googling ZCOOL brings up what looks like a Chinese equivalent of Imgur or something so perhaps it's to promote that rather than the film directly. Or it's just fanart from that site passed off as a poster.

Glebe

First 'Wonder Woman' Reactions Hail the Film as the Best DCEU Movie So Far.

Apparently it has been tracking badly, so this is very encouraging news. DC should get their shit together and promote the hell out of it... Suicide Squad may have been a smash hit (and even won an Oscar, ffs), and even BvS has apparently done well financially overall, but - and never mind Marvel deservedly overshadowing them - they've really got to knock the half-baked quality of the post-Dark Knight DCU movies on the head.

Bad Ambassador

I'd be very suspicious of reviews from Collider - they're barely professional and known to accept a LOT of freebies in exchange for positive coverage, along with many other online outlets. RLM has done a string of excellent take-downs of their rubbish in the last few months.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 19, 2017, 04:15:32 PM
I'd be very suspicious of reviews from Collider - they're barely professional and known to accept a LOT of freebies in exchange for positive coverage, along with many other online outlets. RLM has done a string of excellent take-downs of their rubbish in the last few months.

The video side, Collider Movie news? I like that channel a lot, and they've been critical of DC films. Several of them love Man of Steel, but they were far from glowing about about BvS or Suicide Squad.

Every time I watch the RLM parodies, I think "This doesn't resemble Collider, at all". For a start they never do adverts, or litter their shows with products in the way many movie youtubers do. They get access to early screenings, but then so do all reviewers, in order to review before release.

Glebe

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 19, 2017, 04:15:32 PMI'd be very suspicious of reviews from Collider - they're barely professional and known to accept a LOT of freebies in exchange for positive coverage, along with many other online outlets. RLM has done a string of excellent take-downs of their rubbish in the last few months.

They're not Collider reviewers, though. I was originally going to link to a Cinemablend article on the same topic, but Collider's article appears to have more reactions.

Glebe

So reviews are coming in now, and the general consensus seems to indicate that DC have kind of learned their lesson... there's only a couple of rottens on RT out of about 40 reviews so far. Not getting my hopes up too much, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

The Roofdog

Pretty negative 2 star review in the guardian (not Bradshaw's though) but that seems to be the exception so far.

Head Gardener

greenman

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 30, 2017, 12:20:08 PM
Pretty negative 2 star review in the guardian (not Bradshaw's though) but that seems to be the exception so far.

Not sure I trust it though, seems likely to be a combination of low low expectations of DC films and a political hobby horse to jump on. Places like Rotten Tomatoes are made up of 90% sheep like drek these days who'll just go with the flow.

Blumf

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 31, 2017, 08:59:49 AM

Superman vomiting from his eyes upon seeing a naked Wonder Woman.

The Roofdog

Quote from: greenman on May 31, 2017, 11:57:02 AM
Not sure I trust it though, seems likely to be a combination of low low expectations of DC films and a political hobby horse to jump on. Places like Rotten Tomatoes are made up of 90% sheep like drek these days who'll just go with the flow.

Yeah I was thinking that this only needs to be a bit more competent and watchable than Suicide Squad & BvS for people to start going overboard

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: greenman on May 31, 2017, 11:57:02 AM
I think the important aspect is how little 90% on rotten tomatoes means, people finally seem to be catching onto it to some degree at least. There's probably an interesting paper to be written about whether those high averages for all this tat on RT merely highlight the strength of Hollywood's refinement of making the most widely acceptable pieces of bland they can or if they're made from the ground up to be "critically acceptable" as a key part of the final marketing stage.

This film has a lot on its side for people to go easy on it, but I do think the fact it's seemingly not a disaster is a pretty big achievement in itself considering how chaotic the whole thing looked prior to Patti Jenkins signing on.
...and, like, Wonder Woman is fucking shit superhero, is she not? Like, in a world of dumb dumb dumb characters and backstories, hers still seems a bit extra dumb compared to most.

greenman

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 31, 2017, 01:29:10 PM
I think the important aspect is how little 90% on rotten tomatoes means, people finally seem to be catching onto it to some degree at least. There's probably an interesting paper to be written about whether those high averages for all this tat on RT merely highlight the strength of Hollywood's refinement of making the most widely acceptable pieces of bland they can or if they're made from the ground up to be "critically acceptable" as a key part of the final marketing stage.

This film has a lot on its side for people to go easy on it, but I do think the fact it's seemingly not a disaster is a pretty big achievement in itself considering how chaotic the whole thing looked prior to Patti Jenkins signing on.
...and, like, Wonder Woman is fucking shit superhero, is she not? Like, in a world of dumb dumb dumb characters and backstories, hers still seems a bit extra dumb compared to most.

True and I think the first point is a lot of why the Rotten Tomatoes scores are so predictable, your talking basically shifting between 2/5 and 3/5 a lot of the time without having to commit to calling something great cinema.

All seems rather The Force Awakens part two were the world collectively forgets that yes there have been blockbusters with female leads in the past.

Gulftastic

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 31, 2017, 01:29:10 PM

Possibly in the past, but since 1987, with the George Perez post-Crisis reboot, they've made a conscious effort to make her less silly, extending in the last decade or so to really ramping up her importance in the DC Universe. Their big three is always nowadays portrayed as Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman. The three even have a title called 'Trinity'.

Dr Syntax Head

I am going to have many many wanks over this after I am inevitably forced to watch it