Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Started by NoSleep, November 22, 2016, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

News and photos emerging about its upcoming return in early 2017 (potential spoilers):

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/11/better_call_saul_season_3_is_i.html

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/extras/better-call-saul-season-3-first-look-photos#/1

My favourite show of 2016, I know some aren't keen on its pace (well, it isn't BB), but all the building tensions between the characters is doing it for me.

Looks like
Spoiler alert
Gus is going to appear this season, as well as Marie Schrader
[close]
. And we may be
Spoiler alert
delving into Jimmy's post BB career
[close]
a little deeper this time around.

NoSleep

I wonder what relevance the book Jimmy is holding in the photo with Chuck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Mabel

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on November 22, 2016, 01:18:22 PM

Hmm, interesting one. Suspect it will to do with their childhood, but what the deeper significance is, no idea!

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: NoSleep on November 22, 2016, 01:18:22 PM

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 22, 2016, 01:37:15 PM
Hmm, interesting one. Suspect it will to do with their childhood, but what the deeper significance is, no idea!

Breaking Bad: eventful theorems about a book (3,10,2,5)

Serge

It would be interesting to see if Hank ever appears in it, as when he first encounters Saul in 'Breaking Bad', he's well aware of him - though that could just be by reputation, as it's likely he knows people who have dealt with him. I did read an interview with Gilligan a while ago where he implied that
Spoiler alert
even if Gus is back, he's not going to be in it much.
[close]

The cliffhanger ending to the last series will be
Spoiler alert
waved away by the fact that what Jimmy said was phrased in such a way that he could say that he was saying it to try and get Chuck to stop acting crazy. I'm sure he even said something like "if it'll make you stop being crazy" or something like that.
[close]

Sadness hanging over this for me. My mum loved it, and just two days before she had the stroke that killed her, was asking me when the next series was starting.

mothman

Sorry to hear that Serge. I think we all hope the show is going to be better than it currently seems to be managing to be, I hope it lives up to your expectations and what hers would have been.

hewantstolurkatad

if Chuck is dead by the midseason, things are picking up; if he's not dead by the end of the season, I'm bailing. Cannot see a valid reason for keeping him on past that fall in the printing place, struck me as a move made by writers afraid that they'd have nothing to work with for the next season (perhaps influenced by the total U-turn they done on where season one ended).

NoSleep

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on November 29, 2016, 11:41:31 AM
Cannot see a valid reason for keeping him on past that fall in the printing place, struck me as a move made by writers afraid that they'd have nothing to work with for the next season (perhaps influenced by the total U-turn they done on where season one ended).

Can't see that. The fall was to make Jimmy blow his cover (not intentionally), surely? Which leads to the "confession" on tape (which I believe is actually going to make it look like Jimmy was humouring Chuck's insanity). Chuck may end up leaving, or being sectioned; there's no absolute reason to kill him off. Him surviving could link into some interesting turns in the fortunes of
Spoiler alert
Cinnabon Gene, who we may be getting a better look at this season.
[close]

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2016, 11:52:37 AM
Can't see that. The fall was to smoke Jimmy out of blowing his cover, surely? Which leads to the "confession" on tape (which I believe is actually going to make it look like Jimmy was humouring Chuck's insanity). Chuck may end up leaving, or being sectioned; there's no absolute reason to kill him off. Him surviving could link into some interesting turns in the fortunes of
Spoiler alert
Cinnabon Gene who we may be getting a better look at this season.
[close]
So he staged a panic attack (which the camera chose to completely fall in line with, unless you can present me with anything that implies otherwise), and fell in a manner that he's smash his head against the side of the desk, absolutely ensuring he'd need immediate hospital treatment, as part of a ruse to smoke Jimmy out with a tape recording? Rather than, you know, he had his stupid panic thing and upon seeing Jimmy there, confirming whatever possible doubts he had were wrong, and spending days in a hospital surrounded by electronics, he was able to will himself to go out to his garage and dig up some items to help him incriminate Jimmy.
Man, rewatch it, you're filling in a lot of holes that just don't exist.

Kill him off was just an extreme way of saying get him off my screen, I don't really give a shite where he goes, I just want to feel like something is happening.

NoSleep

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on November 29, 2016, 12:02:11 PM
So he staged a panic attack (which the camera chose to completely fall in line with, unless you can present me with anything that implies otherwise), and fell in a manner that he's smash his head against the side of the desk, absolutely ensuring he'd need immediate hospital treatment, as part of a ruse to smoke Jimmy out with a tape recording? Rather than, you know, he had his stupid panic thing and upon seeing Jimmy there, confirming whatever possible doubts he had were wrong, and spending days in a hospital surrounded by electronics, he was able to will himself to go out to his garage and dig up some items to help him incriminate Jimmy.

Yeah, sorry. I misremembered that scene. Jimmy had already shown his face and was in the printers when Chuck slipped.

The main point is that he doesn't have to die to be out of the picture.

NoSleep

Blimey, you nearly had me there. Just rewatched the sequence at the end of episode 9 and the beginning of episode 10.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on November 29, 2016, 12:02:11 PM
So he staged a panic attack (which the camera chose to completely fall in line with, unless you can present me with anything that implies otherwise), and fell in a manner that he's smash his head against the side of the desk, absolutely ensuring he'd need immediate hospital treatment, as part of a ruse to smoke Jimmy out with a tape recording?

I said:

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2016, 11:52:37 AMThe fall was to make Jimmy blow his cover (not intentionally), surely?

...by which I meant it was a dramatic device on the part of the writers, not a plan of Chuck's.

QuoteRather than, you know, he had his stupid panic thing and upon seeing Jimmy there...

Impossible as he was unconscious on the floor before Jimmy showed up (because no-one had called 911 to help Chuck; the only reason he blew his cover[nb]He loves his brother above all else. At least at this point in the story. I imagine the change to Saul may involve a change in his relationship to his brother.[/nb]). He would have found out later from the guy that accompanied him to the print shop. Which then leads to...

Quote...confirming whatever possible doubts he had were wrong, and spending days in a hospital surrounded by electronics, he was able to will himself to go out to his garage and dig up some items to help him incriminate Jimmy.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Chuck's obsession is Jimmy's career in law and how Jimmy bends the rules to make things happen his way. And this outreaches his psychosomatic "condition" regarding his overall state of mind. The main thing to bear in mind is his mental instability, not his "condition" as it's a product of the former.

QuoteMan, rewatch it, you're filling in a lot of holes that just don't exist.

I did. Where was I filling holes?

hewantstolurkatad

Sorry, my whole post was going on the mistaken assumption that you thought it was a plan on the character's behalf. Fair play for trying to engage with it but I'm not going to even look through whatever I typed cos it's gotta be total garbage.

Ultimately the dynamic between Chuck and Jimmy is not good enough to sustain three seasons of storyline for me. A lot of it is down to just how prequels in general suck but I can't really understate how pointless season 2 of this felt, the Breaking Bad world just doesn't go well with low-stakes[nb]compared to the shit that went down in Breaking Bad, no matter what happens in this show, it's gonna feel low-stakes so I'm not necessarily saying they should ramp up the stakes[/nb] slow-burn character building.

NoSleep

Some new teasers out and about now. Unfortunately they all sport the words "Returns Spring 2017"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg46JNrVCvk

Puce Moment

Serge

Back on April 10th, apparently.

Spoiler alert
As well as Gus coming back, there is a hint that another 'Breaking Bad' character may make an appearance, if this tweet is anything to go by: https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/822589661646352385/photo/1 Then again, that could be anybody behind that giant mask and they're just having a laugh.
[close]

Puce Moment

I am not really a fan of this calling back to BB - it's almost like they are going to cast Harrison Ford in it at some point to appease the fucking neckbeards who need to have their nostalgia massaged.

Having said that -
Spoiler alert
Gus yes.
[close]

NoSleep

They could certainly dispense with many of the little BB easter eggs, as far as I'm concerned.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Serge on February 02, 2017, 11:47:12 AM
Back on April 10th, apparently.

Spoiler alert
As well as Gus coming back, there is a hint that another 'Breaking Bad' character may make an appearance, if this tweet is anything to go by: https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/822589661646352385/photo/1 Then again, that could be anybody behind that giant mask and they're just having a laugh.
[close]

That's clearly Bob Odenkirk. He's been on the show from the start. One of the main characters actually.

New Jack

I am watching the Breaking Bad episode, 'Better Call Saul 'to prepare for the coming season

A nice hit of Saul mmmm...That's good. This universe is one I love to dive into

Edit: was well good this. Nice to see them all again, and Saul being himself. The opening scene drug deal sting remains absolutely classic

Mini

I can't wait for the new season, hopefully it will continue its upward trajectory - for me that copy shop business was up there with the tensest moments of Breaking Bad.

New Jack

I await with dread how Kim is written out.

Hopefully she fucks off and isn't killed cause she isn't in Breaking Bad and Jimmy isn't half sad in Cinnabon.

Better Spike Mike's coffee for the coming series, more ties to Gus Fring

We should compile a list of relevant Breaking Bad episodes before me Netflix trial runs out!

Ooh, I could binge on it. Dole perks: loads of time to get up to date on this.

Serge

Just bumping this as a reminder that this is back tonight....though I won't get to see it until tomorrow or Wednesday, so will be keeping out of this thread again until then!

mothman

Ooh, a useful heads-up, thanks. Now, this is the way to do a new-season discussion thread: we're still on the first page. Not like the Doctor Who one, 90 pages in and it's still 5 days away from airing...

mothman

(in a comically-ideal world, that last post would have heralded the start of a new page...)

selectivememory

Should be good. I hope they do a bit more to push Jimmy's story forward this season, although for the most part I liked the second season a great deal. I've avoided spoilers, but presumably
Spoiler alert
Mike and Gus are finally going to team up
[close]
this season, given that everything was pointing towards that at the end of the last one.

buttgammon

Quote from: selectivememory on April 10, 2017, 11:38:31 AM
Should be good. I hope they do a bit more to push Jimmy's story forward this season, although for the most part I liked the second season a great deal. I've avoided spoilers, but presumably
Spoiler alert
Mike and Gus are finally going to team up
[close]
this season, given that everything was pointing towards that at the end of the last one.

I think both of those things are on the cards. He really seemed to be crafting the character of Saul towards the end of that series, and presumably that development is going to continue here.

I'm going to have to wait until Thursday as I've already vowed to watch this with my girlfriend and I'm back home until then. That's true love for you.

mothman

I'd forgotten about
Spoiler alert
Gus
[close]
being in it, so now I'm even more looking forward to it.
Spoiler alert
#TeamGus
[close]

Puce Moment

As long as they don't try and pander to the BB audience and make this a nostalgia fest by dropping in Harrison Ford or CGI of Princess Leia, or Jesse Pinkman, then I think this will be the best season of the show ever.

I kind of want them to go further with the visual experimentation and non-linear narrative. They did this really well in season 1 I thought.

jobotic

We didn't see or hear of
Spoiler alert
Gus
[close]
at the end of season 2 did we? I can't remember it.

selectivememory

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 10, 2017, 01:12:45 PM
As long as they don't try and pander to the BB audience and make this a nostalgia fest by dropping in Harrison Ford or CGI of Princess Leia, or Jesse Pinkman, then I think this will be the best season of the show ever.

Yeah.
Spoiler alert
Gus
[close]
appearing makes sense (it's essential really if we're going to continue to follow Mike as well as Jimmy), so that's fine, but hopefully they won't do anything else like Tuco's first appearance in the show (when he abducted Jimmy and those two kids, not his later appearances), which was little more than a wink to BB fans.

Quote from: jobotic on April 10, 2017, 01:27:44 PM
We didn't see or hear of
Spoiler alert
Gus
[close]
at the end of season 2 did we? I can't remember it.

Yeah, but someone was clearly monitoring Mike's activities very closely and didn't want him to interfere with the Salamancas. I think the natural assumption is that it's
Spoiler alert
Gus
[close]