Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Started by NoSleep, November 22, 2016, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

That same look on Jimmy's face, at the end there, that we saw as he walked down the corridor with Kim when she called, "Bingo." He fucking hates Chuck to the core.

Quote from: selectivememory on May 23, 2017, 11:38:00 AM
Found that one a bit of slog after so many good episodes. Felt like a bit of a filler episode really. In particular Jimmy running around trying to sell his ad slots was very tedious to me. But the ending was interesting - wasn't exactly a flash of Saul coming out, but it seems like Jimmy did that just to lash out at Chuck (I can't think of any other reason). Despite his crying being a little over the top, I did buy it until I saw that little grin on his way out.

And yeah, delighted to see Mark Proksch back.

Agreed. Think it suffered in comparison to how good and action packed the last couple of episodes have been.

Think that was the first time we've seen him be spiteful for no real gain here as well at the end (though maybe someone will correct me)

hewantstolurkatad

Basically a whole episode of wearing him down for the heel turn.

Still think he has to do something utterly irredeemable, stuff like that is more a thing to look back on and be like "well, how could there have been any doubt"

NoSleep

Quote from: funtimefrankie on May 23, 2017, 12:57:55 PM
Think that was the first time we've seen him be spiteful for no real gain here as well at the end (though maybe someone will correct me)

What did he do that was spiteful? Learning that his insurance was going up (by 150%) when he started back up was a blow and he's blaming it on Chuck (quite fairly) and at the same time trying to get out of paying anything for the time being (hence the crocodile tears to insurance woman). He certainly likes Chuck even less after learning of the increased expense.

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on May 23, 2017, 01:23:48 PM
What did he do that was spiteful?

Casting doubt on Chuck's competence in front of the insurance rep, so that Chuck's premiums are likely to see a large hike as well.

NoSleep

Hehe, yeah. I'd seen the whole thing as him squirming out of paying for a year, plus the 150% hike solidifying his hatred of Chuck, but of course he's wreaked some revenge there, too. Hardly spiteful though (certainly not in comparison to Chuck's prolonged spitefulness) and in the heat of the moment.

mothman

Definitely filler. I really don't want to have to watch a whole year's worth of Jimmy doing Community Service and trying to get money. But it feels like they're setting up a few things - Kim is acting a bit weird, Mike might have romance on the horizon. This latter though... I wonder if it's significant that this widow's husband disappeared without trace in the desert? Did a runner? Murdered by her?

NoSleep

I was trying to make a connection between Mike's reconsideration to help out "Pryce" and the widow's story, but maybe they're unrelated (Mike had put two and two together about what Nacho was up to) and Mike's going to look into her story at some point.

up_the_hampipe

This weeks episode was very season two. As in, it was mostly boring until the very end.

NoSleep

Quote from: mothman on May 23, 2017, 04:15:18 PM
Kim is acting a bit weird

Kim wasn't really acting weird, but the 5 minute power nap meant she was lacking sleep (and her guard was definitely slipping) when she behaved irritably toward her client. It was interesting that she seems to be feeling some guilt about what they've done to Chuck and that woman actually siding with them against Chuck irked Kim.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 23, 2017, 01:23:48 PM
What did he do that was spiteful? Learning that his insurance was going up (by 150%) when he started back up was a blow and he's blaming it on Chuck (quite fairly) and at the same time trying to get out of paying anything for the time being (hence the crocodile tears to insurance woman). He certainly likes Chuck even less after learning of the increased expense.

He purposefully mentioned Chuck being deemed incompetent. It means Chuck won't get insurance and that will lead HHM to have to take him off their company insurance.

NoSleep

Quote from: funtimefrankie on May 23, 2017, 06:51:29 PM
He purposefully mentioned Chuck being deemed incompetent. It means Chuck won't get insurance and that will lead HHM to have to take him off their company insurance.

Yeah. We'd already covered it.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 23, 2017, 02:50:20 PM
Hehe, yeah. I'd seen the whole thing as him squirming out of paying for a year, plus the 150% hike solidifying his hatred of Chuck, but of course he's wreaked some revenge there, too. Hardly spiteful though (certainly not in comparison to Chuck's prolonged spitefulness) and in the heat of the moment.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 23, 2017, 06:54:52 PM
Yeah. We'd already covered it.

Well you mentioned a hike. But its not a hike - they'll refuse to insure him personally and HHM by association. So there will be big consequences - leading the Hamlin left with little option but to remove him.

NoSleep

I meant the hike to Jimmy's insurance once he takes up law again (150%). But what you're talking about is when she makes a note about Chuck. I'm sure he didn't go in to stitch up Chuck, but when he realised this further consequence of Chuck's actions against him he dreamt up a further little revenge against him (possibly not considering far-reaching consequences). He was certainly fuming as he left.

Serge

I was trying to figure out if there was any point at which he was really crying, but I don't think there was.

My favourite moment: "Deep Purple!" "Oh....Another Brick In The Wall?"

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Serge on May 23, 2017, 09:19:10 PM
I was trying to figure out if there was any point at which he was really crying, but I don't think there was.

No, I reckon everything post-hollow laugh was purely calculated to repay Chuck the favour.

This increasingly callous attitude seems to be where the potential schism is going to form between Kim and Jim.

Twit 2

I liked that one. I enjoy seeing the Jimmy and Kim relationship outside of the office, plus there were plenty o'Mike.

What info did Mike want to jot down off nacho?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Serge on May 23, 2017, 09:19:10 PM

That or the look Nacho gave the pharma guy as he shuffled out his patio door.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 23, 2017, 11:03:25 PM
I liked that one. I enjoy seeing the Jimmy and Kim relationship outside of the office

I like a shared cigarette scene. Freud knows why, I don't smoke.

Mini

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 24, 2017, 04:13:54 AM
I like a shared cigarette scene. Freud knows why, I don't smoke.

Those are my favourite scenes.

samadriel

It seems strange for Jimmy to interfere with Chuck's insurance at this point - rather an afterthought which I can't imagine him taking that much joy in when his own money issues should be foremost in his mind. The whole scene was presented as though Jimmy has something cleverer in mind, perhaps something which will ease his own monetary woes for the time being. But I can't imagine what that would be.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Serge on May 23, 2017, 09:19:10 PMMy favourite moment: "Deep Purple!" "Oh....Another Brick In The Wall?"

I thought the Ritchie Blackmore reference may have been intended as a call back to the use of Smoke on the Water in season 1.

NoSleep

Quote from: samadriel on May 24, 2017, 10:39:40 AM
It seems strange for Jimmy to interfere with Chuck's insurance at this point - rather an afterthought which I can't imagine him taking that much joy in when his own money issues should be foremost in his mind. The whole scene was presented as though Jimmy has something cleverer in mind, perhaps something which will ease his own monetary woes for the time being. But I can't imagine what that would be.

I think Jimmy decided to fuck up Chuck's insurance on the spur of the moment, after realising that Chuck had fucked up his insurance. I don't think he went in there to do that; he was just looking to save a bit of money for the year he couldn't practice.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jimmy's crying was convincing at the start, I only twigged it was a performance when he started babbling about Chuck.

Odenkirk is great, isn't he?

Serge

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 24, 2017, 12:02:27 PM
I thought the Ritchie Blackmore reference may have been intended as a call back to the use of Smoke on the Water in season 1.

Oh yeah, that definitely occurred to me. I'd like to hear Jimmy's opinions on the Gillan vs Coverdale debate.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 24, 2017, 08:00:40 PM
Jimmy's crying was convincing at the start, I only twigged it was a performance when he started babbling about Chuck.

Odenkirk is great, isn't he?

It probably was real at the start and he came up with the plan as he went along. I don't think he knew that she was going to pull that 150% on him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2017, 08:21:03 PM
It probably was real at the start and he came up with the plan as he went along. I don't think he knew that she was going to pull that 150% on him.

Yes, I think you're right. 

mothman

It's yet another example of Jimmy's impulsiveness. Of course when Chuck hears about his coverage being withdrawn or massively increased in price, he'll demand to know why and it'll clome out somehow that Jimmy told them. Then the madness (re-)begins again...

hamfist

Quote from: mothman on May 24, 2017, 11:05:53 PM
It's yet another example of Jimmy's impulsiveness. Of course when Chuck hears about his coverage being withdrawn or massively increased in price, he'll demand to know why and it'll clome out somehow that Jimmy told them. Then the madness (re-)begins again...

Maybe - then again the court transcript of his meltdown is in the public domain (and the transcript was mentioned by Jimmy). Not sure the insurer would mention Jimmy directly, but Chuck will still see Jimmy as the indirect cause due to 'stitching him up'.

mothman

Yes. There are all sorts of random ways a legal insurance provider could get to hear about the results of Bar hearings (in intelligence circles they call it plausible cover when disseminating intelligence - a way in which information might have been obtained other than how it was actually obtained), but given Chuck's mental state we know which way he'll go.